Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Welcome back slavvy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I'm in Lugano for work so decided to take the bike.

Furka pass

St Gotthard pass

Absolutely amazing trip. There were some wet patches and a little bit of snow that had slipped onto the road on Furka but the trip across to Gotthard and down the mountain was a blast.

Glorious.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Some photos if my bike from the Enduro race I did a couple weeks ago.

And some other notable photos.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 19, 2019

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

That's tight but dog, are you wearing no chest or back protection at all? With all those handlebars to catch on?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

And no eye protection.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It was free, was ridden once and parked for two years so the batteries are cooked. Five batteries marked as '6DZM20', 12v 20ah, wired in series, no idea what I'm doing :supaburn: can I just put in five normal bike batteries instead or is there some reason they have to be funny looking ones? I can't figure out what 6DZM20 converts to.

Looks like a standard deep cycle 12v20ah battery to me - there are shitloads of them to compare with on Amazon

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
no eye pro at an enduro event is pretty brave, i seen too many videos of people getting stick in the eyes

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

And no eye protection.

Oh yeah that too. Goodness gracious by my starters and gaskets

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you guys sound like a bunch of low T, transitions wearing IT professionals lol

pulling your goggles off cause its hot af at an enduro is nothing new

tjones
May 13, 2005
A nice dual pane google and a bunch of tearoffs. You'll look super rad and feel fast as gently caress.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Yet another excellent case for these, I see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Looks like a standard deep cycle 12v20ah battery to me - there are shitloads of them to compare with on Amazon

Yeah yeah but I don't want those, I want batteries I can buy directly from my supplier at a massive discount and am trying to figure out what that number converts to in yuasa. Do they have to be deep cycle? Don't really understand why that would be the case, they just seem like ordinary lead acid batteries with funny terminals.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I kinda hate wearing goggles, even snowboarding they usually come off pretty early, I think they lasted through most of a lap this race, a good portion of riders rip their gogs off at some point. Some of the older guys wear safety glasses, I might try that at some point. I normally wear a chest protector/roost guard, but I forgot it at home. I am wearing knee guards under those pants though, which appear to have saved my knee from at least one stick.

The real freaky part of this race was being WOT in 4th gear at almost 60mph, on pavement, on low-pressure dirt bike knobbies, wearing nothing but marginally abrasion-resistant dirt gear.

If you find my gear selection abhorrent, have a picture of Safety Stan over here, he ripped those sleeves off later in the day to make a sweet muscle-t
he was waaaaaay faster than me

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Non deep cycle batteries don't do well with being fully discharged, they struggle with sulfiting issues and electrode breakage, just because of how lead-acid behaves when discharged near the limit, standard AGMs should be able to handle this a little better than standard flooded cells, and if you're just trying to dick around for cheap anything that had the proper voltage and current ratings will certainly work.

E:
AvE doesn't always know what he's talking about, but this is actually a pretty informative and factually correct video explaining how deep cycle batteries are different, and some basic battery chemistry.

https://youtu.be/QAD_mTtcKSM

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 19, 2019

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I kinda hate wearing goggles, even snowboarding they usually come off pretty early, I think they lasted through most of a lap this race, a good portion of riders rip their gogs off at some point. Some of the older guys wear safety glasses, I might try that at some point. I normally wear a chest protector/roost guard, but I forgot it at home. I am wearing knee guards under those pants though, which appear to have saved my knee from at least one stick.

The real freaky part of this race was being WOT in 4th gear at almost 60mph, on pavement, on low-pressure dirt bike knobbies, wearing nothing but marginally abrasion-resistant dirt gear.

If you find my gear selection abhorrent, have a picture of Safety Stan over here, he ripped those sleeves off later in the day to make a sweet muscle-t
he was waaaaaay faster than me

Ya, but you should wear goggles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Non deep cycle batteries don't do well with being fully discharged, they struggle with sulfiting issues and electrode breakage, just because of how lead-acid behaves when discharged near the limit, standard AGMs should be able to handle this a little better than standard flooded cells, and if you're just trying to dick around for cheap anything that had the proper voltage and current ratings will certainly work.

E:
AvE doesn't always know what he's talking about, but this is actually a pretty informative and factually correct video explaining how deep cycle batteries are different, and some basic battery chemistry.

https://youtu.be/QAD_mTtcKSM

Righto, in that case I'll just get 5x POWEROAD agm's with the same dimensions and see how I go. The scooter has literally cost me nothing to acquire and I'll only keep it if it's an acceptable round-the-block replacement for my $80 50cc.

The guy also told me it only did about 30kmh until he unplugged some wire, but then you have to plug the wire back in to restart the bike after switching off. Am I gonna burn to death?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It'd be way cooler if you built a massive 20 series, 10 parallel battery from 18650s to replace it, but for a free scooter gently caress it.

I doubt it draws enough current to overheat bike batteries. What's in the scooter, a <2kw motor?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

It'd be way cooler if you built a massive 20 series, 10 parallel battery from 18650s to replace it, but for a free scooter gently caress it.

I doubt it draws enough current to overheat bike batteries. What's in the scooter, a <2kw motor?

No idea, how can I tell? I've searched all over the bike and hub, all I can see on the motor is '60° 48v 30C', the aforementioned wire appears to switch it from 48v to 60v when plugged in/unplugged somehow, judging by the labels.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

No idea, how can I tell? I've searched all over the bike and hub, all I can see on the motor is '60° 48v 30C', the aforementioned wire appears to switch it from 48v to 60v when plugged in/unplugged somehow, judging by the labels.

It might say on the controller but probably not. There's so many different god drat electric scooters from China I don't think I could even begin to guess. The QR code links to WeChat, which I don't wanna download.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 20, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll just try it and see. Are they normally governed somehow or do they just run out of power at 50kmh?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

Ya, but you should wear goggles.

I know :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I'll just try it and see. Are they normally governed somehow or do they just run out of power at 50kmh?

No idea, wether it's kw limited or speed limited by law, who's to say it wasn't just some grey import with no regulations in mind?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I bought a thing:

Now I need to sell my WR250X. :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Akion posted:

I bought a thing:

Now I need to sell my WR250X. :(

:hellyeah:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I honestly don’t know whether it’s fugly as hell or :krad:, but I bought a Versys this weekend!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Of all the unnaturally tall advish bikes, they're the coolest.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah i'd ride the gently caress out of a versys

some fairing mounted mirrors would de-dork it by 1000% imo

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nice starter LEGO set. Now on to modifying :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Of all the unnaturally tall advish bikes, they're the coolest.

... after Vstroms.

Is what I think you meant to say.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

... after Vstroms.

Is what I think you meant to say.

God no the v-strom is way more dorky and cheap looking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Just in: racist kettle furious over pot debacle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

High Protein posted:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Nice starter LEGO set. Now on to modifying :D

That’s the plan! I wanted to get the model with the luggage built in, but they didn’t have any in inventory and the stock luggage is almost a thousand bucks for the plastic boxes :shepspends:

So, probably gonna figure out pannier B options :/

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

That’s the plan! I wanted to get the model with the luggage built in, but they didn’t have any in inventory and the stock luggage is almost a thousand bucks for the plastic boxes :shepspends:

Panniers are really expensive, sorry to hear you couldn't get one that came with a set. A rear hugger is a nice mod for these bikes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the v strom is one of the worst v twins in existence

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

High Protein posted:

Men who choose to ride P-twins instead of V-twins are an affront to God.

JK, all bieks are good

OSU_Matthew posted:

My suggestion is get a Givi or similar pannier rack, then some 60L dry bags and some straps, and strap them shits to the rack. Pair with a topcase or Pelican case if you want some physical security for expensive bits, I spent quite a bit of time using Paniers, and the form-factor sucks for utilizing the full volume, their waterproofing is questionable if fully loaded, and they're a pain to deal with, on my 6,000mi ride I ended up putting my laptop and other valuables I didn't want getting wet in a dry bag, and slinging it over my shoulder if I was leaving the bike somewhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

the v strom is one of the worst v twins in existence

You need to shut the gently caress up now.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:greenangel:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

From last nights ride:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

Men who choose to ride P-twins instead of V-twins are an affront to God.

JK, all bieks are good

My suggestion is get a Givi or similar pannier rack, then some 60L dry bags and some straps, and strap them shits to the rack. Pair with a topcase or Pelican case if you want some physical security for expensive bits, I spent quite a bit of time using Paniers, and the form-factor sucks for utilizing the full volume, their waterproofing is questionable if fully loaded, and they're a pain to deal with, on my 6,000mi ride I ended up putting my laptop and other valuables I didn't want getting wet in a dry bag, and slinging it over my shoulder if I was leaving the bike somewhere.

Awesome, thanks! Just gotta sort through racks and find something to buy that hopefully fits... man I wish this were more standardized.

I think I’ve still got rock straps and stuff from strapping things down like that on my last bike, gotta find those, and maybe also an aftermarket replacement for the top case rack? Not sure how good the stock one is yet...

Right now I just want to get some hard luggage so I can throw my helmet and gear in there when I arrive at my destination, or a change of shoes and stuff for hiking. But the versys aftermarket isn’t as robust as the V Strom and all the racks I’m seeing ship from the UK, so definitely gotta try and figure out exactly what I want luggage wise before being stuck with the wrong or incompatible luggage. Also need to find a replacement ram mount, since I forgot to take that off when I sold my last bike, and maybe a dedicated motorcycle gps and charging port too. Bike handles loving great though... a bit vibratey, but plenty of power on the throttle at highway speeds :getin: