Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I cannot seem to find any hits at all on this so either it is not possible or i am using the completely wrong terminology:

We have a total lunar eclipse here tonight and i plan to photograph it. I don't have a mount with tracking on and i don't see any point in capturing any images at slow shutter speeds as even at 1/50 the moon starts to get blurry.
The astrophotography people take a bunch of photos of deep sky objects and combine the "light" into 1 total exposure, can i do the same with the moon? Like take a bunch of 1/100 photos and combine the "light" from each into 1 exposure?
How many photos would i need to take? 100? 10000?

All the hits i get are clickbaity articles on general moon photography for "the masses" (which is probably an arrogant thing to say since i need to ask a question)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Huh. Some kind of exposure stacking? I don’t think that’s how it’s often used, but it sounds close.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, you can stack any exposure. The danjon estimate for tonight is about 2.8 during totality, which is relatively bright.. you could capture the disc at a 1/4 shutter at f/4 and 1600.

Star stacking I believe gets diminishing returns beyond 10 exposures so you don't need to go crazy. The resulting image is going to be an average of all pixels in the stack so do some test shots at your desired shutter length and if the disc is visible at all you've probably got enough data to do a good stack. Totality lasts about an hour so you got plenty of time to screw around.

I found this image to be super helpful:

It doesn't address your specific question but it's a good table to get a sense of the problem and you can easily use the data to pick your own shutter speed that will work.

edit - found this guy's post, maybe it'll help you: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/185738-stacking-the-moon/

(cloudynights is a great site if you want to get into astrophotography)

edit 2 - after I stepped away and thought about it more and hopefully got less stupid, averaging the images won't bring up the brightness all that much. That's how averages work. :downs: But maybe if you get a good low-noise stack you can boost exposure in the stacked image to brighten the disc.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 20, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks! Super helpful stuff

I found that image but didn't really look at it or understand it as with all things nowadays as a parent of 2 toddlers i never have time to read up on anything.

Ive been wanting to do proper astrophotography for a long time and am totally down with buying a fancy tracking mount for like $10k but its hard to justify such expenses when i will have so few opportunities to use it.

Are there no stacking methods that say take the brightest pixel of any pixel in the stack and use that pixel for the final image? Instead of the average i mean. Or would you just get a white blob then?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In photopshop, yes. When you got two layers on top of each other you can play around with the blend modes, brighten mostly does what you want. Not sure what kind of results it'll give you though, as it'll amplify everything in the image.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Anyways, going out this morning was a gigantic waste of time.

We had totality from about 5:40 AM to 6:40 AM.

I woke up (toddler woke me up) at 1:30 AM and i glanced out the window at that time and saw a pristine and crystal clear full moon with no atmospheric disturbance.
When i went to work at about 7:30 AM it was again a crystal clear moon.
Prior to this we had an hour of very thick "haze", like a type of snowfall without the clouds. Guess which 1 hour long rare astronomical event coincided with this 1 hour of haze...

Sigh.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks! Super helpful stuff

I found that image but didn't really look at it or understand it as with all things nowadays as a parent of 2 toddlers i never have time to read up on anything.

Ive been wanting to do proper astrophotography for a long time and am totally down with buying a fancy tracking mount for like $10k but its hard to justify such expenses when i will have so few opportunities to use it.

Are there no stacking methods that say take the brightest pixel of any pixel in the stack and use that pixel for the final image? Instead of the average i mean. Or would you just get a white blob then?

There's a dude in a local photography group here who's super into astrophotography. Here's a few of his blog posts where he talks about the pre and post processing workflow that he uses.

Siamese Twins
M101
Pixinsight vs Photoshop

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Wow those are some spectacularly detailed post about a niche subject. Bookmarked for future usage!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
There is some spezialized software for just this application. Autostakkert and RegiStax are free and pretty intuitive to use. They take care of the tracking for you and they also eliminate heat shimmer/atmospheric effects so you can get some pretty insane results.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Been putting this off for far too long but i have reached the point where i am tired of culling my images in Lightroom.
What is a good software for quickly viewing RAW photos and marking/deleting the bad ones?

PhotoMechanic and FastRawViewer come up on google.

PhotoMechanic has a very flashy and uninformative webpage that makes it very difficult to see the price of the software (a whopping $150). They really want you to try the 30 day trial. The software also does a bunch of other things im not interested in, which has me worried its not going to be the most optimal RAW viewer.
FastRawViewer has less features and promises fast RAW viewing (duh) but the people recommending it are a bit too eager to recommend it.

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 or other software for culling RAW images?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Not used it much myself, but doesn’t adobe bridge have a relatively streamlined review function?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I had PM 4, it definitely had far more features than I wanted, but it still worked well.

What annoys me is I now want to reinstall it on my new computer (switched from Mac to PC) and they have removed version 4 from their website and after contacting CS, have confirmed my only option is to upgrade to version 5 for $90.

I get the economics of having to offer tech support, update RAW profiles, etc, but it would cost them nothing to leave the old one up as an unsupported version for existing users. It feels like extortion to be locked out of using software that I paid for, so CameraBits isn't going to see another dime from me.

Lesson learned, at least; have now created an "install files" folder in my backup drive with everything I use.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Ineptitude posted:

Been putting this off for far too long but i have reached the point where i am tired of culling my images in Lightroom.
What is a good software for quickly viewing RAW photos and marking/deleting the bad ones?

I use IrfanView for my first round of culling. It's free and it's the fastest image viewer out there; the enter key toggles full screen, left/right keys move through the folder, delete key deletes the image.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

TheLastManStanding posted:

I use IrfanView for my first round of culling. It's free and it's the fastest image viewer out there; the enter key toggles full screen, left/right keys move through the folder, delete key deletes the image.

Oh man, IrfanView is my image viewer of choice but I somehow never thought to use it for managing my raws. Is there a way to tag images for importing into Lightroom? That's about the only actual feature of Photo Mechanic that I really use.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 24, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I had PM 4, it definitely had far more features than I wanted, but it still worked well.

What annoys me is I now want to reinstall it on my new computer (switched from Mac to PC) and they have removed version 4 from their website and after contacting CS, have confirmed my only option is to upgrade to version 5 for $90.

I get the economics of having to offer tech support, update RAW profiles, etc, but it would cost them nothing to leave the old one up as an unsupported version for existing users. It feels like extortion to be locked out of using software that I paid for, so CameraBits isn't going to see another dime from me.

Lesson learned, at least; have now created an "install files" folder in my backup drive with everything I use.

What about trying to find a tortent that's not cracked and use your key?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hey, cool.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

tater_salad posted:

What about trying to find a tortent that's not cracked and use your key?

Haven't used torrents/filez in like 10 years. I am a bit leery of random running random .exe's on my PC, did have a look for websites but couldn't find anything.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

404notfound posted:

Oh man, IrfanView is my image viewer of choice but I somehow never thought to use it for managing my raws. Is there a way to tag images for importing into Lightroom? That's about the only actual feature of Photo Mechanic that I really use.
Not really. I only use Irfanview to get rid of the truly terrible shots that I know I'm not going to use (like shots with missed focus), and do all my tagging in Lightroom.
In Irfanview you are able to sort of tag pictures with the x key (shift+x to untag). Then shift+q to bring up the thumbnail viewer for the tagged items. From there you can drag the files to a new folder (it's a copy operation, not a move). Might be helpful.

For people first trying Irfanview out, the options for fullscreen-vs-normal viewing are in two different places and the default options for them are bad. Normal viewing is under View>Display-Options and I set it to 'Fit only big images to window'. Full screen is under Options>Properties>Full-Screen and I use 'Fit to screen'. Also the default zoom options are bad, so I set up my own zoom table.

Some other helpful shortcuts available:
ctrl+printscreen gives you a selection box for screen captures.
ctrl+shift+y auto crops an image

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not really. I only use Irfanview to get rid of the truly terrible shots that I know I'm not going to use (like shots with missed focus), and do all my tagging in Lightroom.
In Irfanview you are able to sort of tag pictures with the x key (shift+x to untag). Then shift+q to bring up the thumbnail viewer for the tagged items. From there you can drag the files to a new folder (it's a copy operation, not a move). Might be helpful.

Sorry yeah, by "tagging" I meant marking it as selected so it's easy to move all the worthwhile pictures into Lightroom at once. I guess I'll have to give this a try the next time I go out shooting.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I don't know whether it works or not, but according to their forums 4.6.9 was the last version 4 released, and as luck would have it, Archive.org appears to have that cached.

4.:69snypa:

I don't know whether that's a full, functional download, but it does prompt me to download an executable so let's hope so.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the fastest way to sort through good and bad photos is just to not take any bad ones hth

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

pseudorandom posted:

I don't know whether it works or not, but according to their forums 4.6.9 was the last version 4 released, and as luck would have it, Archive.org appears to have that cached.

4.:69snypa:

I don't know whether that's a full, functional download, but it does prompt me to download an executable so let's hope so.

It works!

You are my Oprah.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ineptitude posted:

PhotoMechanic and FastRawViewer come up on google.

PhotoMechanic has a very flashy and uninformative webpage that makes it very difficult to see the price of the software (a whopping $150). They really want you to try the 30 day trial. The software also does a bunch of other things im not interested in, which has me worried its not going to be the most optimal RAW viewer.
FastRawViewer has less features and promises fast RAW viewing (duh) but the people recommending it are a bit too eager to recommend it.

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 or other software for culling RAW images?
Photomechanic has a strong fanboy following so it's almost certainly very good for fast culling. But that price...

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!
Going to give IrfanView a try

Pablo Bluth posted:

Photomechanic has a strong fanboy following so it's almost certainly very good for fast culling. But that price...

Honestly this just makes me even less interested in PM as this will mean they can put out incremental updates for huge prices (like they already are) and get defended for it by the fanboys. Much like Canon these days...

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
I personally use XnViewMP for culling before importing to Darkroom and have been pleased with both the speed and how much I was able to customize it for my workflow, but I think pretty much any of the options mentioned here already probably do about just as well for the purpose of just quickly discarding images. I definitely agree that something so simple isn't cause to buy into software like Photomechanic when there's an abundance of perfectly fine free options.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

IrfanView doesn't work with my Sony RAW files :(

EDIT: A plugin is needed

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 24, 2019

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So I have a manual focus OM lens that has suddenly stopped focusing correctly. Specifically, the focus range is way off. It only focuses from about 15 cm at closest to 60cm at infinity. As far as I'm aware the lens has never sustained any physical damage (drops, etc.) although I haven't used the lens in a few years.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with it?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Did you leave a close-up lens filter on it?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Nope. :confused:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Weird. You mention that it’s not focusing correctly at infinity. Does that mean the focus ring throw is still the same, or are you unable to fully rotate it?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Focus throw is the same. And it's not an issue with the camera either as I tested the body with other lenses.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

IrfanView doesn't work with my Sony RAW files :(

EDIT: A plugin is needed

Maybe this will help.

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/download/vista_raw/

Be aware it just shows the image, the image quality shown is not that good (bad actually).
But if you open it in for example photoshop it will be at 100% again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Thom12255 posted:

Does anyone use Capture One for RAW editing? I hear it is better for manipulating color but I usually stick to photoshop for that anyway.

I use capture one primarily. It’s great — more capable than Lightroom particularly for color editing and skin tones but the learning curve is a bit higher.

Capture One has sessions, which is a killer feature for me. Way more flexible than Lightroom catalogs.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Orions Lord posted:

Maybe this will help.

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/download/vista_raw/

Be aware it just shows the image, the image quality shown is not that good (bad actually).
But if you open it in for example photoshop it will be at 100% again.

Thanks

There was a plugin on the IrFanView page that let it open Sony formats.

You are correct about the quality being poo poo though. It almost makes it hard to cull images as every image looks so bad it looks like there is no hope for it.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Does anyone else use Google images regularly? I use it to share stuff with the family and have been pretty happy with the quality, but it seems like sometime last week they decided to turn the jpg compression up to 11.

I was reviewing some stuff from the last week and it looks like poo poo even on a cellphone. File sizes seem to have dropped from around 1mb to less than 300kb. Has anyone heard anything about a change?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fools Infinite posted:

Does anyone else use Google images regularly? I use it to share stuff with the family and have been pretty happy with the quality, but it seems like sometime last week they decided to turn the jpg compression up to 11.

I was reviewing some stuff from the last week and it looks like poo poo even on a cellphone. File sizes seem to have dropped from around 1mb to less than 300kb. Has anyone heard anything about a change?

I vaguely remember being asked if I wanted images compressed at one point letting me know if I chose raw, i wouldn’t be able to store as many. Check your settings maybe?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can upload it in original quality but it counts against your drive quota. I never used that, it only scales stuff over 20mpix and used to apply very reasonable amount of compression.

The set I uploaded over the weekend was not overly compressed, but everything from this last week looks just awful.

Edit: I got out my backups and re uploaded to test and I can't reproduce it.

Fools Infinite fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 9, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I'm shipping off tifs for printing, is there any value to setting the DPI in photoshop and scaling the image to the desired print size, or just send the full size export?

I'm pretty new to printing and I did a couple proofs last week, they look good enough for the wall but it feels like I lost some sharpness over what I see on the monitor. Not sure if that's just the limit of printing or if I can mitigate it a bit by not making them resize for me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
What is the best DIY method for converting slides to digital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
dedicated film scanner (plustek, coolscan, etc)

alternately a flatbed (epson v800 for example)