Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Because battlefront bad

Where's my PSC minis and NORTHAG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There's a whole branch of the PLA that's just attractive singers and performers, both male and female.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

Battlefront's new soft plastic soldiermans are atrocious. I have a box of the old metal Soviet infantry, and bought a box of the new plastic ones mostly out of curiosity.

There are the obvious soft plastic problems (all the LMGs are banana shaped right out of the box, can't bend them back), but the overall quality is incredibly bad.

Battlefront's plastic Soviets remind of the Cold War era "Ivan" firing range targets:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

Battlefront's plastic Soviets remind of the Cold War era "Ivan" firing range targets:

NATO seriously needs to thin it's paints.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Finally, a ballet I might actually want to watch!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fish and Chimps posted:

It's really weird, as the hard plastic Germans, UK and US WW2 are probably some of the best 15mm infantry you can get. Why did they stop making them like that? It's mind-boggling

I can only assume it was too expensive to make or something because they were really good kits.

I put in an order for some individual sprues of those kits for 15mm COC and haven't got them yet, I'm a bit worried they're going to be quietly discontinued :(

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's cost. Soft plastic is much cheaper to do.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Thinking Through the Unthinkable: Dance War with China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkm0c_W-kdA

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We're so screwed...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I wonder when PSC are going to release Cold War plastic US infantry and completely eat BF's lunch, because the Soviet infantry look leagues better.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ilor posted:

We're so screwed...

Yeah, I think only India & Pakistan might have comparable game due to the practice from those passive-aggressive border closings they have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's embarrassing that we've allowed this dance gap to widen since the Cold War.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007
All dancing aside I've finally (more or less) finished my peasant levy. Relearning how to paint has been interesting. I made a lot of mistakes and had to redo a bunch of things but I'm satisfied with the result. They're not going to win any awards but I'd say that they're painted to 'table-top standard'. Also, it's nice to have a truely unique squad.

I had some issues with the bases, namely that the crushed rock didn't stick in some places. Not a big deal as I can cover the gaps up with grass when I add it.

Of course, I'm still at 0 points worth of army so I've got some work to do. While I'm waiting for the parts for my guerrillas to turn up I'm probably going to have a crack at some suicide bombers, as per the below:

Moooooooooooon fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 16, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I think only India & Pakistan might have comparable game due to the practice from those passive-aggressive border closings they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVMIOT-EFg

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Dazzling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jADOjuWRFKM

In related news I just discovered that Bolt Action has a Maori army list, which is rad.

http://articles.warlordgames.com/army-list-28-maori-battalion-in-bolt-action-1941-part-3/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is anyone here familiar with Mortem et Gloriam? It's picking up steam locally so I bought the rules, seems pretty cool. Uses a combination of cards and proprietary dice (that all come with the rules, thank god) to make a relatively quickly playing 15mm game that looks to be mostly a competitor to DBx games. It uses the same basing standard as the DBx games and has like 300+ army lists that cover everything up to the start of pike blocks being a thing (like 1500-ish?).

It seems cool and I'm trying to decide what army to pick up for it, definitely getting Old Glory 15's because they look fine and most of the alternatives I've seen either look like poo poo, have insane shipping costs because they're being cast in a shed in England somewhere, or are super expensive.

Here's the website for the game: http://www.thewargameszone.org/62/The-Ancients-Zone-Mortem-et-Gloriam

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Crossposting from the Oath thread:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oath Complete!

They won't win any beauty contests, but by god they're ready to kick the doors of Hitler's Europe down!

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oath complete!

That's awesome dude, well done.

So I have a bit of a specific question that I'm hoping some history grog can help me with. I'm looking for things that I can add to basic infantry to make them more interesting and to cover up the inconsistencies in their uniforms. I'm thinking about adding over-the-shoulder blankets, like this:

Thing is, I've found a number of images of soldiers marching with blankets but none with them in combat. Would they have been dumped/left at a camp prior to a firefight? Would it be too incongruous for soldiers to be carrying them in a battle?

E: I think I might have just answered my own question:

Moooooooooooon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 2, 2018

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Moooooooooooon posted:

That's awesome dude, well done.

So I have a bit of a specific question that I'm hoping some history grog can help me with. I'm looking for things that I can add to basic infantry to make them more interesting and to cover up the inconsistencies in their uniforms. I'm thinking about adding over-the-shoulder blankets, like this:

Thing is, I've found a number of images of soldiers marching with blankets but none with them in combat. Would they have been dumped/left at a camp prior to a firefight? Would it be too incongruous for soldiers to be carrying them in a battle?

E: I think I might have just answered my own question:

AFAIK they would be used in combat, thought I've seen a lot more blanket rolls on Soviet infantry than on say, Germans or Americans.

And because Napoleonics is about style, here's a blog update on my outrageously plumed French skirmishers:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/french-light-infantry-voltigeurs-front-rank

I've been a real good hobbyist and not bought a ton of new things this year, and I have some 40-45 more French painted in March ready for basing. This weekend I glued up my last 30 DAK for priming, and after that I mostly have FJ and various vehicles for WW2. Working on that lead mountain, feels good man.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They're not blankets, at least not in Soviets. They're either raincape/shelter-halves or greatcoats.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This is what it looks like in use.

I imagine you rarely see pictures of them in use and always on the shoulders is because, well, it'd be raining when they were used, and old cameras don't take kindly to rain. Also, a great portion of "combat" photos you see from WW2 are actually staged, and you wouldn't have a photoshoot in lovely weather.

I can't imagine they weren't used in combat as a rule, being soaking wet helps nobody. Pure speculation on my part, though. :shrug:

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 2, 2018

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I started assembling my 28mm Blitzkrieg Nazis. The Idea here is that they'll be very cartoony, like caricatures... because White Guilt.

Anyway, field kit. I'm not sure if I should bother with it. On one hand it's some neat looking kit, on the other hand it might make them more realistic/serious.

Whay do you guys think about it?

Also debating doing nazi red bases with the little luftwaffe crosses. Displayboard will be the Arc de Triumph.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^^The kit is such an iconic part of the German WW2 uniform I think it'll look weird without it.

--

I think I'm going to pick up some Anglo-Zulu war miniatures since they're on sale right now. As for 28mm colonial skirmish rulesets, does anyone have any recommendations? The three I'm aware of are Black Powder, Sharp Practice 2, and The Men Who Would Be Kings. I'm not a fan of how abstracted Black Powder is. I own Sharp Practice but not sure how well it would adapt to 19th century play...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Battlefront's new soft plastic soldiermans are atrocious. I have a box of the old metal Soviet infantry, and bought a box of the new plastic ones mostly out of curiosity.

I'm shocked that Battlefront make Soviet dudes of all people that look like bestial ape men.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Does anyone have any of Plastic Soldier Company's 28mm soviets? I've got some of Wargames Factory's but some got broken recently and the Bolt Action plastic soviets all have these cartoonish popeye faces that jarr a lot with the more reasonable look of WGFs.

Failing that anyone who does slightly more realistic looking soviet infantry in metal.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007
Ha! I spent a while trying to figure out what they were and had convinced myself that they were blankets. How about the Maori reenactors in the video above? I realise that their kit may not be 100% accurate but they certainly look like they're carrying blankets. One guy in particular looks like he has one of these:

The only thing I have to go on for the Chinese example is the posted illustration from Osprey. The book makes no mention of raincoats or shelter-halves. It does reference the production of one million blankets but doesn't suggest that they were carried by individual soldiers.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as they look the same for the purpose of modelling but it is interesting.

Thanks for the responses.

E: actually, looking through the Osprey book again there are several photos of soldiers carrying blankets rolled into makeshift backpacks (not over the shoulder, though).

E2: Oh poo poo! Forgot about the other Osprey book. Precedent!

Alright, I'll stop posting about blankets now.

Moooooooooooon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 2, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

spectralent posted:

Does anyone have any of Plastic Soldier Company's 28mm soviets? I've got some of Wargames Factory's but some got broken recently and the Bolt Action plastic soviets all have these cartoonish popeye faces that jarr a lot with the more reasonable look of WGFs.

Failing that anyone who does slightly more realistic looking soviet infantry in metal.

I have a bunch of partisans and some scouts from Black Tree Design that I bought specifically to go with Wargames Factory soviets.

https://eoeorbis.com/collections/world-war-2?mc_cid=bbd5c359fa&mc_eid=2df6f899c1

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DiHK posted:

I started assembling my 28mm Blitzkrieg Nazis. The Idea here is that they'll be very cartoony, like caricatures... because White Guilt.

How about black (or blue) uniforms with red armbands, like a Sgt. Rock comic from the 70s?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd rather see people posting about blanket rolls than about efficient army lists.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

I'd rather see people posting about blanket rolls than about efficient army lists.

Currently adding officers to my SP2 army, blanket roll game is on point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

spectralent posted:

I have a box, it's a great kit for the price.

Details get a little soft, and helmets and SMG are slightly oversized. (Especially the ammo drum.) But the the soft caps and rifles are great and look natural next to the WGF figures.

The best thing is that you can use your spare WGF parts to improve the PSC kit:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey, I was looking at soviet bolt action army book to plan out my purchases, was thinking if something like this:

Reg 2nd lt, free inex squad, vet tank riders, guard squad with 2 lmgs and panzerfaust, scout squad, 2 reg atr teams, vet sniper, reg heavy mortar with spotter, reg zis 3, reg ba 10, reg bt7 light howitzer. Would something like that work at 1k?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Cessna posted:

How about black (or blue) uniforms with red armbands, like a Sgt. Rock comic from the 70s?

Ohhh that arm band is tasty. I was planning blue-greys for the vehicle. Ill have to do some test pieces to decide about the blue v field grey on the coats.

Officers and S(hit) S(hirts) are getting armbands. The heer won't because everybody knows those guys were just doing their jobs.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DiHK posted:

Ohhh that arm band is tasty. I was planning blue-greys for the vehicle. Ill have to do some test pieces to decide about the blue v field grey on the coats.

May I suggest a blue Tiger with a red-outlined cross? They seem to have been popular:

You could also consider using Warlord's "Hollywood Tiger" model.

quote:

Officers and S(hit) S(hirts) are getting armbands. The heer won't because everybody knows those guys were just doing their jobs.

Just go full on 70's comic book Nazis. The SS have to be blue, with armbands:

Hell, now I want to paint a comic book style army.

Edit: Warlord makes a Sgt. Rock:

He needs a giant yellow Master Sgt's chevron on his helmet.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 3, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, I guess it's a better way to assuage your European Man's guilt than just painting them pink.

Also, explicity copying a style from a comic book is a great idea.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I really want to play USSR in Bolt Action, but they're by far the most expensive army, right?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wouldn't that be All Metal Infantry Probably Only Super Rare Resin Vehicles minor nations?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I really want to play USSR in Bolt Action, but they're by far the most expensive army, right?

Depends on how you build it. Points is points.

If you build a big army of low quality troops supported buy early war tanks like BT-7s, yeah, it'll add up.

If you go with an army of high quality troops - Guards, scouts - with plastic T-34/85s it won't be appreciably more than any other army.

Or, better yet, be like me and do both.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Play chain of command instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phi230 posted:

Play chain of command instead

I'm coming around to that point of view myself...

That said, a decent army will work for both.