Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mogki posted:

Spoilers just in case:
Is the crossbow kid minigame broken for anyone else?
I got the crossbow from the prince and talked to the big hooded dude , but no targets show up anywhere outside of Gallopolis .

Its been removed

Social Animal posted:

How long are these character episodes they added in?

Not long, maybe 20-40 minutes per character depending on how quickly you play?

They can also be pretty brutal with Stronger Monsters on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016

Zore posted:

Its been removed

Really? That's odd, I wonder why they decided to cut that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did the Gameboy version even have any. The Switch version looks like a better version of it and the SNES version for the most part.
The GBC version did have attack animations for monsters in battle.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also question to series vets, who would you say is your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King, and how much do the Demon kings throughout the series differ from the Dragonlord.
I'd say Rhapthorne (DQ8) is my personal favorite; of the games I've played, he has the most personality. I don't know if Psaro (DQ4) counts as a Demon Lord or if Estark is the guy for that game, but he's pretty good too, especially since I think the DS and mobile versions of the game expand upon him over the original. I haven't actually ever beaten the first DQ, so I can't really speak to how different they are from Dragonlord, but isn't he just kinda a generic villain, complete with kidnapped princess and "join me and rule half the world" speech?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mogki posted:

It's at least partially because they removed first person mode.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also question to series vets, who would you say is your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King, and how much do the Demon kings throughout the series differ from the Dragonlord.

I still like Zoma.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Commander Keene posted:

The GBC version did have attack animations for monsters in battle.

Yeah it did, and they were really smooth animations as well. As a result it is the largest GBC cart, by far, at 32 megabits (the size of Chrono Trigger SNES).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mogki posted:

Spoilers just in case:
Is the crossbow kid minigame broken for anyone else?
I got the crossbow from the prince and talked to the big hooded dude , but no targets show up anywhere outside of Gallopolis .

I thought I read somewhere ITT that it wasn't in the Switch version?

I only remember because I hated this minigame.

e. beaten

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016

SettingSun posted:

It's at least partially because they removed first person mode.

Ah! that actually makes a little more sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't actually ever beaten the first DQ, so I can't really speak to how different they are from Dragonlord, but isn't he just kinda a generic villain, complete with kidnapped princess and "join me and rule half the world" speech?

He sits in his castle the whole game and tells you he will give you half the world if you join him. In Builders which takes place after accepting his offer, it's revealed that he gave the Hero a patch of land called Half the World. The Princess is being held by a Dragon Subordinate of his, who is apparently supposed to indimitate her to become the Dragonlord's bride.

But yeah fairly standard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, i'm not gonna lie, the beginning of act 2 loses some impact when not a few hours earlier you've seen Sylvando gallivanting around the southern continent with his merry men, and here the game is trying its hardest to convince you that this one village is literally the only safe place left in the world. Not all of the impact, mind you, but certainly some of it. It more comes off as this specific part of the world getting hit super hard which is still pretty effective at making me feel feelings.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Sorry if this was already asked, but:

Did they straight up remove the crossbow target quest from DQXI S?
I’ve been trying to get this guest to start and I’m having no luck, and can’t find any official word on it!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they removed it

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Thank god, that made first entering new areas in what I played of the original a OCD quest of snooping all over the place. Good riddance.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yes. I'm pretty sure the rewards got spread out in the game. E: fb

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a mental block that keeps me from remembering Hendrick's name and I keep wanting to call him Geralt. :(

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fancy Hat! posted:

Thank god, that made first entering new areas in what I played of the original a OCD quest of snooping all over the place. Good riddance.
I never bothered, except near Warriors' Rest, where I found all but like one of the targets wandering around and just googled the last one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Apologies if this has been asked before, I haven't been reading the thread as I'm playing XI for the first time and I'm trying very hard to avoid spoilers: if it's my first time through the game, is it recommended I don't play it on 16-bit mode? I really love SNES style graphics so I'd love to play the game that way, but I'm not sure if I'd miss out on big elements of the experience if I did it for my first time through.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Well, they've definitely re-tuned difficulty. The act 1 Phnom Nonh boss now only gets 2 actions per round instead of 3, which makes it infinitely more manageable.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, I haven't been reading the thread as I'm playing XI for the first time and I'm trying very hard to avoid spoilers: if it's my first time through the game, is it recommended I don't play it on 16-bit mode? I really love SNES style graphics so I'd love to play the game that way, but I'm not sure if I'd miss out on big elements of the experience if I did it for my first time through.

it should be fine either way, the main thing you'll miss out on is the voice acting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You also dont get animations and have random encounters if you play 16 bit mode.

Azathoth256 posted:

Well, they've definitely re-tuned difficulty. The act 1 Phnom Nonh boss now only gets 2 actions per round instead of 3, which makes it infinitely more manageable.

Apparently she still gets three if you leave on harder monsters? Not sure.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You can play it either mode but 3D is generally agreed to be how you should play it the first time.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

God, they're really bringing the puns out in full force. I didn't think anything would top Master of Nu'un until I fought Dora-in-Grey.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I love the sidequest that implies cannons have been around for over 600 years and no one has ever really bothered to iterate on them or invent anything else with gunpowder.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

it should be fine either way, the main thing you'll miss out on is the voice acting

Barudak posted:

You also dont get animations and have random encounters if you play 16 bit mode.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You can play it either mode but 3D is generally agreed to be how you should play it the first time.

Cool I'll stick with 3D mode the first time around, then. I already did the demo and enjoyed it thoroughly so I'm sure I'll continue to do so.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Apparently she still gets three if you leave on harder monsters? Not sure.

This was with stronger monsters on.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Zore posted:

I love the sidequest that implies cannons have been around for over 600 years and no one has ever really bothered to iterate on them or invent anything else with gunpowder.

Fantasy technology gets weird because of magic. Magic has more killing power than any gun in cutscenes, so fewer people interested in developing it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mogki posted:

Probably because it's awful and I don't think any of the rewards were worth the effort.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Mogki posted:

they replaced it with the 3DS content where you visit past DQ worlds instead

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As far as I had heard, the Tickington past worlds content is wholly new to the Switch version.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Detective No. 27 posted:

As far as I had heard, the Tickington past worlds content is wholly new to the Switch version.

It was in the 3DS release in Japan.

Edit: To clarify, the Switch version re-do's the entire section to only be in the 2D when originally parts of it were accessible in 3D mode.

Spoilers of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b400FNeNtrU

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 3, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
They also cut a whole minigame where you collected Tockles who did a quest in the background which unlocked the Tockington stuff and replaced it with hiding Tockles around the world.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zore posted:

They also cut a whole minigame where you collected Tockles who did a quest in the background which unlocked the Tockington stuff and replaced it with hiding Tockles around the world.

Ah yeah, I believe that was a Streetpass feature which would explain the cut. The rewards from that can still be earned in-game.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jade Rider posted:

God, they're really bringing the puns out in full force. I didn't think anything would top Master of Nu'un until I fought Dora-in-Grey.

I still grin uncontrollably when seeing Master of Nu'Un, that was the best pun in IX.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pharohman777 posted:

I still grin uncontrollably when seeing Master of Nu'Un, that was the best pun in IX.

I still like the payoff on Zere a lot

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So I just Got Sylvando's boat, Should I now backtrack and invest time into any rare monsters/rare drops that might be good? Is backtracking to early game places worth it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dizz posted:

So I just Got Sylvando's boat, Should I now backtrack and invest time into any rare monsters/rare drops that might be good? Is backtracking to early game places worth it?

Youre still in the early game. Like, this game is so much longer than you think.

Also no, dont use the boat to go back use the heros spell Zoom which now works everywhere go to hell cielings!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Amusingly if you're in 2d mode you still bonk on ceilings.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Barudak posted:

Youre still in the early game. Like, this game is so much longer than you think.

Also no, dont use the boat to go back use the heros spell Zoom which now works everywhere go to hell cielings!

I know. I just heard that some monsters have rare drop gear but im unsure if any is worth farming for. I also like filling out monster bestiaries and maybe finding hidden pastwords

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just noticed a change to Hendrick that I don't believe was in the PS4 version.

I'm getting strong Hitman vibes from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just noticed a change to Hendrick that I don't believe was in the PS4 version.

I'm getting strong Hitman vibes from this.

:perfect: