Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

yeah, there's just one communion per side per battle

Oh nice.

So... do blood communion slaves boost an astral communion master's levels in astral magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
all communion slaves boost all masters paths, and it's all of the paths. I think you are only allowed to boost 6 times by communion tho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

all communion slaves boost all masters paths, and it's all of the paths. I think you are only allowed to boost 6 times by communion tho

Yeah that'd be 64 slaves, right? I doubt anyone can easily muster a 128-slave communion anyway.

OK cool I learned a thing, thanks goons.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

im not actually certain that you can't boost 7 times just every time I try the game crashes

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Tagichatn posted:

What's a good research path for ea Tien Chi? Flaming arrows looks good with all my archers but the default mages look like they don't have enough fire to cast it.

Conjurgation to spam your demons.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that'd be 64 slaves, right? I doubt anyone can easily muster a 128-slave communion anyway.

:smuggo:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh newbie questions how does casting magic in battle work. Is that you can cast spells that your mage is of the same level as and any levels above that cost gems or something?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Your mage can cast any spell he meets the path requirements for at the time of the casting. So for instance Earthquake, which requires E4, needs your mage to ultimately have at least E4 to cast it.

There are a number of ways to get to that:
-Actually have E4+ to begin with on the mage, whether naturally or through Empowerment, which uses a bunch of gems but permanently raises his level in whichever path you were empowering. This is done from the map.
-Have enough path boosters on the mage to meet the requirement. These are items you forge which increase a mage's level in a path so long as they are equipped. For E magic, these are things such as Earth Boots or Blood Stones. I can only think of one instance where it's relevant, but do note these are still treated as a temporary increase by the game for the purposes of effects that check temporary vs. permanent. Said relevant instance is the Astral combat spell Magic Duel, which directly checks the S levels of both mages, and ignores any temporary modifiers. Not realizing this has gotten someone's Pretender God killed in a relatively infamous LP example.
-Use in-combat spells that temporarily boost one or more path levels. Once cast these boosts last for the rest of the battle, and thus any spells cast later check against the higher value.
-Your caster can use a single gem to count as a single path level higher. I don't find this one comes up too often for me, as I'd generally not want to be wasting gems like that, and because most spells of the sort I'd desperately want to cast like this already cost gems to cast, which messes with this mechanic a bit.

And on that note, many of the more powerful combat spells also require gems to be used during their cast. Your caster must have at least that many gems in their stock to cast the spell, and they are expended. The caveat to this is that mages can also only spend a maximum number of gems on a spell equal to their path rank, so if a spell already costs the same number of gems to cast as its required path (and quite a few of the more powerful ones do), then you can't also use a gem to empower up to that level (I think). Note that casters are also capable of using up gems during the casting of spells to reduce the fatigue cost of said spell, at a direct conversion of 1 gem = -100 fatigue.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thanks a lot. Its a cool little system.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bought this game 3 years ago off of Desura (pre-ordered) which is no longer around. Is there any way to get my key?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I bought this game 3 years ago off of Desura (pre-ordered) which is no longer around. Is there any way to get my key?

In your install directory there should be a file called dom4key, it's in plaintext in there. Dunno if you don't have it installed, sorry

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

a man falls through the earth and into ermorian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried Pythian communicants"

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Enjoy posted:

In your install directory there should be a file called dom4key, it's in plaintext in there. Dunno if you don't have it installed, sorry

if that doesn't work you might try reaching out to illwinter directly. they may be willing to work with you.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lordkoth's post is pretty good but it is actually lacking the most important thing. Your mages are going to act retarded and screw everything up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

conservative gem use

will it work? who knows!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Decrepus posted:

Lordkoth's post is pretty good but it is actually lacking the most important thing. Your mages are going to act retarded and screw everything up.

ask jsoh about this fun with mages deciding to not use gems. he loves this feature so much.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

ask jsoh about this fun with mages deciding to not use gems. he loves this feature so much.

quote:

[00:47] <jsoh> OH MY loving GOD
[00:47] <jsoh> THE loving GUY DIDNT USE GEMS
[00:47] <AcousticKitty> atomikkrab: this happens http://i.imgur.com/8vzJyrc.png
[00:47] <jsoh> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU PIECE OF poo poo FUCKKKK
[00:48] <Roland_Jones> jsoh: I've found that my current biggest problem is lategame because my lategame experience has been minimal, yeah.
[00:48] <jsoh> http://puu.sh/n2rHi/f33874fe8a.jpg
[00:48] <jsoh> DOMINIONS FOUR IS SO loving BAD
[00:48] <jsoh> WHAT A loving BAD GAME HOLY poo poo
[00:50] <buer_the_goatse_sun> it took you this long tor ealize that?
[00:54] <jsoh> WITH STUPID BULLSHIT LIKE THAT I REALLY DONT EVEN WANT TO PLAY THE GAME ANYMORE
[00:54] <jsoh> HONESTLY
[00:55] <jsoh> WHY IS THERE NOT AN "ABSOLUTELY loving USE GEMS YOU DUMB SHITHEAD" ORDER
[00:58] <buer_the_goatse_sun> because it's dominions 4
[00:58] <PainofMind> what spells does a neter of kings even cast? acid rain a lot? at least you won :v
[00:58] <jsoh> THE NETER OF KINGS DIDNT DO loving ANYTHING
[00:58] <jsoh> THE REASON ALL OF THOSE GUYS DIED IS BECAUSE I KILLED THEM
[00:58] <jsoh> I TOLD ONE OF MY GRAND AUGURS TO CAST LIFE AFTER DEATH AND HE REFUSED, BECAUSE THE TITAN WITH 60 GEMS ISNT WORTH USING ONE GEM
[00:58] <jsoh> SO EVERY ONE DIED AND NONE OF THEM BECAME ZOMBIES
[00:59] <jsoh> WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IS: EVERY MAGE OR PRIEST COMMANDER IN THAT BATTLE SHOULD NOW BE A SOULLESS
[01:00] <jsoh> THE NETER OF KINGS CAST BODY ETHERAL AND ANTIMAGIC AND DIED TO PUNCHES
[01:04] <buer_the_goatse_sun> welcome to dominions 4

From My LP.

( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584 )

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Note that casters are also capable of using up gems during the casting of spells to reduce the fatigue cost of said spell, at a direct conversion of 1 gem = -100 fatigue.

Woah, I didn't know that! I guess there's absolutely no way to script it, but if you have a mage scripted to (say) cast a 100 fatigue spell at a point where he should already be at like 90 fatigue, will he automatically use a gem to avoid passing out?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Woah, I didn't know that! I guess there's absolutely no way to script it, but if you have a mage scripted to (say) cast a 100 fatigue spell at a point where he should already be at like 90 fatigue, will he automatically use a gem to avoid passing out?

Mages will just happily gobble-up gems casting normal spells regardless. Give a bunch of D2 Necromancers Death gems and script them to spam skeletons and they'll eat that poo poo up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Mages will just happily gobble-up gems casting normal spells regardless. Give a bunch of D2 Necromancers Death gems and script them to spam skeletons and they'll eat that poo poo up.

Yeah, and this also means your mages will happily go through your entire gem stash meant for multiple battles in the first few turns if you don't check "Conservative Gem Use".

Alternatively, someone could skulk his own army with some scouts loaded up with reserve gems.

It's always fun if one of them dies, taking 20+ gems with him to the afterlife. :shepface:

Decrepus posted:

My new favourite is mages ignoring their scripts because of their spells being too short-ranged. Did you forget to script your mages to run forwards like idiots? Welp, now look and see them ignore your scripts for the most asinine poo poo they can cast for ever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Heh, all true. Communions are another thing where it becomes "interesting", because masters will cheerfully murder their entire group of slaves if you're not really cautious - on the most banal of battles at that.

Be very careful with fire mage masters in communions especially, as they love to cast Phoenix Pyre if given half a chance. Phoenix Pyre is a personal buff you generally do NOT want propagating to a bunch of slaves, especially if they're grouped and have low fire resistance.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

like three days ago i lost a battle because my pretender refused to use gems on the first turn of his script, and then used gems on the second turn of his script because ?????????

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Opposing side t1 summons tipped him over his worthiness limit?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

they are supposed to figure poo poo out based on opponents gems, of which there were many

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

they are supposed to figure poo poo out based on opponents gems, of which there were many

I think I lost some armies because of players using this to their advantage, at least I'm guessing this is the reason I experienced 1-2 times consecutive attacks of scouts/worthless chaff walking around with lots of gems, followed by a real army hitting my now empty army before I could resupply them with gems.

gently caress. If that works, I should try to do the same thing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I fondly remember commander gently caress YOUR GEMS

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Did anyone else here play the Wargame series, in the 2nd game (Airland Battle) you could buy chaff infantry in trucks for like 6 points and then send them head first into the 200 point state of the art tanks you were up against and the enemy would waste all their ammo on your garbage empty trucks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Did you have any luck? pm me on irc if not

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm pretty sure that I ordered a commander to move last turn and he just didn't do anything. Now I'm a turn behind on expansion :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tagichatn posted:

I'm pretty sure that I ordered a commander to move last turn and he just didn't do anything. Now I'm a turn behind on expansion :(

It's possible you may have canceled out on it. I have done that in the past. Making a left click instead of a right click.

I got unlucky too. Barbarians stole one of my provinces.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Go AI, that's impossible to recover from

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jBrereton posted:

Go AI, that's impossible to recover from

I know it's not a big deal just an annoyance.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 8, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no it's good advice

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Always go AI. Don't even take your first turn just assume you'll lose and go AI.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
assume you will win, and honorably go ai to give everyone else a chance

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's possible you may have canceled out on it. I have done that in the past. Making a left click instead of a right click.

I got unlucky too. Barbarians stole one of my provinces.

Yeah, probably. Clicking is hard, I should've gotten a mac.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah if you select a guy and tell him to move and then left-click in a different province he'll go "I can't get that far, I'll just cancel my entire move" invisibly.

When I'm playing I try to always hit F1 and scroll down through all my units just before ending the turn, and triple-check anyone set to "Defend."

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

there's a option to make the game say " hey rear end hole there's 5 commanders without orders" when you hit end turn and then you can mash the next commander hot key to go through them all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

press n constantly

ceaselessly

even when you're not playing

also I found out you can copy and paste unit orders (eg. attack rear) which is handy for the eight separate MA Ermor games I am playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
The best thing I ever did was learn the attack scripting hot keys for giving orders to troops, hover over their orders and press 'h' for "hold and attack" and then press 'c' for "closest". That and "control groups" for commander orders, ctrl+1 to save (hold) (hold) (hold) (hold) (hold) stay behind troops.

• Locked thread