Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm still looking for a goon for some chill vanilla MP sessions? Drop me a PM or something.

https://discord.gg/nHn5DQ9 is a goon factorio discord and a good place to start.

I'm in CST and would be happy to play some tomorrow night unless my wife needs me for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DarkHorse posted:

That feel when you build thousands of solar panels to get the Solaris achievement, wonder why it hasn’t cleared, and then you discover you can do it with just 47

:cripes:

It still hasn’t cleared after an hour after I made it its own separate network and plugged a radar in, I assume I have to drive consumption up too?

Yeah as far as I remember you have to physically consume and recharge 10GJ worth of solar power in a real time hour, with no other sources of power.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Didn't they do some changes to achievement blocking in 0.16 related to biters? Like you can't set them to "none" and still get most achievements?

I don't know why I think this, probably making it up.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

necrotic posted:

Didn't they do some changes to achievement blocking in 0.16 related to biters? Like you can't set them to "none" and still get most achievements?

I don't know why I think this, probably making it up.

You can no longer get "No X" avhievements with biters set below medium ("No laser" runs turn out to be super easy when the biters aren't around)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah as far as I remember you have to physically consume and recharge 10GJ worth of solar power in a real time hour, with no other sources of power.

By "physically" you mean "actually", right?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No, physically consume. Find a local 12.4kv substation and take a bite.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You of all people should know how that ends.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GotLag posted:

Man, now I want an electric fence that kills biters that try to eat it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

GotLag posted:

You too judging by your avatar text :v:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So, just got this game off of the recommendations of a friend and this thread really, played through the tutorials and :stare:

Yeah, this game. It's fantastic, and is going to be really fun getting into. Concept is great, execution is phenomenal, and dirt cheap for the expected hours of enjoyment I'll put into it, just like I like my games.

I immediately began looking up tutorials, but I'm just going to ask here straight off: Other than what's in the OP, what should a new player know from start to not gently caress up down the road and be mostly efficient? I tried reading the central bus hub design guide things but it didn't make much sense to me. The logistics stuff I'll experiment on once I get there, I think.

Now to design my autism spaghetti town.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

I immediately began looking up tutorials, but I'm just going to ask here straight off: Other than what's in the OP, what should a new player know from start to not gently caress up down the road and be mostly efficient? I tried reading the central bus hub design guide things but it didn't make much sense to me. The logistics stuff I'll experiment on once I get there, I think.

- Most important (and frequent) advice for newbies: you should never do a full restart. Your first base is inevitably going to be broken in some major way, but you can still use it to bootstrap building a new base a few screens away while still having access to your old production facilities. This also means that you shouldn't worry too much about efficiency early on, dealing with a spaghetti base provides invaluable experience for when you try to rebuild large scale. Also, it's hard to unlearn efficient design patterns once you know how to do them, so enjoy the chaos while you still can.

- Biters can be a bit of a nuisance for early players. There's no shame in turning them down (or even remove them entirely) - "never attack first" is a decent setting to begin with, that way you still need to clear out the nests but will be able to build up without constant interruption.

- The one thing everyone will get wrong no matter how experienced they are is leaving enough room. Try to space out your factory blocks, and always double whatever distance you think is enough. Then double it again.

- Switching to beta client is generally a good idea - the devs are very active, and while they do break things from time to time it rarely lasts for longer than a day. There's a ton of small and big improvements in the current beta release (priority/filter splitters being a huge recent one, which significantly changes bus designs/belt balancing).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

fezball posted:

- Most important (and frequent) advice for newbies: you should never do a full restart. Your first base is inevitably going to be broken in some major way, but you can still use it to bootstrap building a new base a few screens away while still having access to your old production facilities. This also means that you shouldn't worry too much about efficiency early on, dealing with a spaghetti base provides invaluable experience for when you try to rebuild large scale. Also, it's hard to unlearn efficient design patterns once you know how to do them, so enjoy the chaos while you still can.

- Biters can be a bit of a nuisance for early players. There's no shame in turning them down (or even remove them entirely) - "never attack first" is a decent setting to begin with, that way you still need to clear out the nests but will be able to build up without constant interruption.

- The one thing everyone will get wrong no matter how experienced they are is leaving enough room. Try to space out your factory blocks, and always double whatever distance you think is enough. Then double it again.

- Switching to beta client is generally a good idea - the devs are very active, and while they do break things from time to time it rarely lasts for longer than a day. There's a ton of small and big improvements in the current beta release (priority/filter splitters being a huge recent one, which significantly changes bus designs/belt balancing).

Cool, exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'll add to that to do everything yourself at first. When your setup is different to what you see in other's bases it's probably less efficient but you figuring out why and coming up with a better solution on your own is great.

Also don't worry about restarting the whole game with different settings. If you're spending too much time fending off biters turn that poo poo down or go peaceful mode.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

fezball posted:

This advice has always been a sticking point for me. I get that you don't want your progress to go to waste, but in 99% of my maps, I simply can't find a location that has everything I need quite like the starting area. It's simply easier to start a new map when I only lost 15 hours tops (and I'm getting better and better at the early game as time goes on). This is because the game is specifically designed to generate an ideal starting area for you (of course, it doesn't always do that, but whatever). I get that's what trains are for, but I suck at trains, so...

That being said, I do keep ALL of my save files in case I ever decide to heed this advice.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Someone on the discord pointed out the blueprint books dont open in 16.19 and you can only open them from toolbelt.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Inglonias posted:

This advice has always been a sticking point for me. I get that you don't want your progress to go to waste, but in 99% of my maps, I simply can't find a location that has everything I need quite like the starting area. It's simply easier to start a new map when I only lost 15 hours tops (and I'm getting better and better at the early game as time goes on). This is because the game is specifically designed to generate an ideal starting area for you (of course, it doesn't always do that, but whatever). I get that's what trains are for, but I suck at trains, so...

That being said, I do keep ALL of my save files in case I ever decide to heed this advice.

It's definitely not a hard rule, and getting swarmed by biters because you didn't build up defences can make a game hard to salvage. But a new player will usually get to the point where the base is totally hosed well before the starting resources run out, and even if not that's a good incentive to learn how trains work.

The message that needs to get across is that all the impressive megabases you see around the web usually started as a tiny shithole that got paved over once it had served its purpose, and that restarting through the early buildup phase over and over again can be fun but is in no way required.

Edit: One other common early player mistake to watch out for is buffer chests. While it is tempting to slap down chests all over the place to always be able to grab some products when you need them, they can be a massive resource sink if you don't set a reasonable size limit - for example, you'll rarely need more than a stack of Assemblers before construction bots, but a full chest of them represents an enormous investment early on.

fezball fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 26, 2018

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It's good advice, given how many times I've seen posters in this thread be like "Yeah I've never actually launched a rocket in 500 hours of playtime cause my base always sucks too much and I gotta start over!"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

It's good advice, given how many times I've seen posters in this thread be like "Yeah I've never actually launched a rocket in 500 hours of playtime cause my base always sucks too much and I gotta start over!"
You make it sound like a bad thing

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

fezball posted:

Edit: One other common early player mistake to watch out for is buffer chests. While it is tempting to slap down chests all over the place to always be able to grab some products when you need them, they can be a massive resource sink if you don't set a reasonable size limit - for example, you'll rarely need more than a stack of Assemblers before construction bots, but a full chest of them represents an enormous investment early on.

As an addition to this, if you do want to stockpile some but not a full chest, you can use the red X on the inventory's interface to restrict the amount of slots used. If you restrict all but one slot, then they'll only buffer up to that one stack of items.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

One of the best things to do is to try to automate the production of anything you use more than a little bit. Things like belts, inserters, power poles, rails, etc. A lot of stuff you'll end up automating anyways to make science dranks, but any time you look and see you're manually crafting a lot of stuff, go ahead and make a little factory to stockpile some of that item in a chest (and use the red X to lock down slots so you don't suck up tons of resources.)

Doing a Lazy Bastard run is a good way to get into this habit, but obviously that's not something to do for your first game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is using the tank flamethrower the best way to get rid of a poo poo load of trees at once? I noticed that doesn't actually burn the trees and just removes them but if there's a way to make my robo slaves do it that'd be awesome too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

explosivo posted:

Is using the tank flamethrower the best way to get rid of a poo poo load of trees at once? I noticed that doesn't actually burn the trees and just removes them but if there's a way to make my robo slaves do it that'd be awesome too.

Select the trees with the deconstruct (red) blueprint.

Bot's will harvest trees and rocks the same way they deconstruct belts and assemblers, etc.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You can deconsruct trees and robots in construction range will take them to a storage chest, no burning required. Nukes are fun, too, and you don't have a million pieces of wood when blowing then up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LLSix posted:

Select the trees with the deconstruct (red) blueprint.

Bot's will harvest trees and rocks the same way they deconstruct belts and assemblers, etc.

Oh that's good to know. Somehow I always glossed over the red blueprint button. Thanks!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Grenades are also quite accessible early game tree clearers. I actually upgrade grenade damage specifically so they'll one-shot trees.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

So, just got this game off of the recommendations of a friend and this thread really, played through the tutorials and :stare:

Yeah, sorry about that. Blame your friend for exposing you to digital crack.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

Red blueprint, grenades, and flamethrower are all good ways of clearing out concentrated forests. You can also bulldoze a path using the tank if that’s all you need.

I like burning down the forest myself :getin:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vic posted:

You make it sound like a bad thing
Don't want to kink shame edgers but you need to get off at least once to know what you're missing to enhance the edging experience.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

As of late-0.15, explosive rockets became my go-to clearing (trees, biters) mechanism. Which was nice when cliffs and cliff explosives came along, since I was already mass-producing the materials i needed for those.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Inglonias posted:

I simply can't find a location that has everything I need quite like the starting area.

So this is a point I’ll contest, specifically that you don’t need to find a new starting area. Find an iron patch and belt coal to it for smelting. Or alternately find a coal patch and belt iron and copper ore to it. Once you have trains this becomes your primary means of resource handling. If you’re worried about your long belts being attacked by biters either add turrets and cull the biters or turn on peaceful mode

Even on medium resources an efficient player can launch a rocket just on the resources in the starting area alone, but that doesn’t mean you need them all in one spot.

Find a desert with no resources at all as far as the eye can see and build your new factory there so you have nothing getting in the way.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

fezball posted:

As someone who's launched 4-5 rockets (and one fish) into space I keep doing this. I'll set up production for something, then 45 minutes later wonder why I have no iron. Turns out I just made 1.2K long inserters because I forgot to limit the size of the container to 1 stack.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Alkydere posted:

As someone who's launched 4-5 rockets (and one fish) into space I keep doing this. I'll set up production for something, then 45 minutes later wonder why I have no iron. Turns out I just made 1.2K long inserters because I forgot to limit the size of the container to 1 stack.

If you use blueprints, the size limits on containers are saved there now. Might help mitigate this.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Inglonias posted:

If you use blueprints, the size limits on containers are saved there now. Might help mitigate this.

I do this for my entire mall, but my friend hijacked my blue underground belt assembler to build something else (I guess because the circuit belts were nearby in the mall for splitters?) instead of just building his own assembler, and cleared the chest limit :doom:

When I reverted it back, I forgot to check the limit, and now we have >1k express undergrounds... about 260,000 iron's worth :ohdear:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Foehammer posted:

I do this for my entire mall, but my friend hijacked my blue underground belt assembler to build something else (I guess because the circuit belts were nearby in the mall for splitters?) instead of just building his own assembler, and cleared the chest limit :doom:

When I reverted it back, I forgot to check the limit, and now we have >1k express undergrounds... about 260,000 iron's worth :ohdear:

No joke a recycling building that could break components into constituent materials (with some efficiency factor) would be nice sometimes. Maybe even have levels of buildings to get one, or two, or more resources out as you tech up.

I mean it doesn’t really make sense on an infinite world with infinite resources, but it sucks when you have a bunch of stuff you know you aren’t going to use and no way to recover the resources expended

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DarkHorse posted:

No joke a recycling building that could break components into constituent materials (with some efficiency factor) would be nice sometimes. Maybe even have levels of buildings to get one, or two, or more resources out as you tech up.

I mean it doesn’t really make sense on an infinite world with infinite resources, but it sucks when you have a bunch of stuff you know you aren’t going to use and no way to recover the resources expended

Seriously, just a recourse for burner drills besides "stick in chest, shoot chest"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Burner drills are about the furthest from my mind

They have conciously added recycling and destruction where they want it, like with wood poles being fuel and low tier stuff being components in high tier.

So we can assume the use for burner miners is, well you can still stick them in coal patches with little penalty. And for furnaces, why knock down the fueled one's when you can build electric one's elsewhere?

Maybe not the answer you're looking for but also I make like 4 or 6 burner miners, who cares what happens to them compared to the furnace question or what to do with a chest of high tier underground belts.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

DarkHorse posted:

Pretty sure there's a mod that does exactly that.

Yep, here are two:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/reverse-factory

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ZRecycling

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i wish there was a crate that only had 2 slots or something. i usually just use wood ones as my "store a limited amount of things" chests but i feel like i'm using so many "2 open slots" chests it be worth a dedicated item, at least from a graphical point of view.

this is probably the easiest mod to make.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

crabrock posted:

i wish there was a crate that only had 2 slots or something. i usually just use wood ones as my "store a limited amount of things" chests but i feel like i'm using so many "2 open slots" chests it be worth a dedicated item, at least from a graphical point of view.

this is probably the easiest mod to make.

What would be the difference between a two slot chest and any chest that's had its size restricted to two slots via the red X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

What would be the difference between a two slot chest and any chest that's had its size restricted to two slots via the red X?

About 3 seconds of effort per placement, the mental toll of having to remember to set the limit, and the pain in the rear end that is double checking that you correctly copied & pasted the stack restriction down a line of chests.

I just wish I could crush stone furnaces into 3 or 4 stone.