Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

unseenlibrarian posted:

IIRC, the real thing that gives sidhe power is that, at least in Concordia, all balefires in freeholds are stoked each year by runners from the big balefire in the High King's freehold. If you don't get your balefire recharged on Imbolc (February 2nd), well, you're hosed until next year. It's part of why so many commoners go along with that poo poo -at all-.

This info, of course, was only mentioned in like one line about fae holidays and not referenced much at all elsewhere.

All balefires can be lit by any other balefire, and formed with Glamour from any source. So nah - that's more a tradition and a means of enforcing control than it is a strict law of the freeholds.Tara-Nar might be a particularly good font, but if it disappeared freeholds would continue burning away. If it was true, it'd be grounds for a particularly violent uprising by Bolshevik Boggan and the Communist Commoners since High King David's response to a whole lot of balefires sputtering out on his watch was basically a shrug and a 'nah bro it's fine' rather than 'holy poo poo here is a torch go relight those motherfuckers'.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What's the write up on the Nunnehi? Is it better or worse than the original material?

I haven't actually read the original material in a while, so I'll have to skim it before I can comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Gallain writeups are all "we did a heroic effort making all these splats fully playable and making their mechanics actually work (seriously they made the hsien magic system actually function; that is above and beyond the call) but we didn't have space left over to explain why they're interesting or what their function in the setting is."

(This was an existing problem; adhene, inanimae and hsien have always been just there. I really want a Changing Breeds equivalent for Changeling.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Aren't hsien essentially not Changelings at all?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Personally, I like to think that most of the Inanimae are just laughing their balls off constantly at the changelings for getting history completely wrong, having lived on from DA:Fae. "Oh my god you guys the Firstborn are back and get this, they believe their own myths now. They're stuck in flesh shells and they can't even remember all four courts!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Aren't hsien essentially not Changelings at all?

Hsien aren't Kithain, aren't connected to the Dreaming, and aren't fae, so yeah, they're basically a one-and-done game of Golden Sky Stories that got set in the World of Darkness instead of Equestria owing to a horrifying twist of fate.

They are changelings in that "changeling" is an accurate description of their life cycle. That's their only connection to the game. (All the Stereotype sections for Kithain in Land of Eight Million Dreams basically say "these guys think we're connected for some reason? I guess that's nice?")

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine the writers just shrugged when they couldn't come up with an Asian fae analogue and remarked that Kindred of the East has nothing to do with Masquerade, why must Land of Eight Million Dreams?

Hengeyokai is the only big Asia line splat, outside of the limited Mage stuff, that actually was compatible with its Western counterpart. It's kind of worse because of that, not for shapechanger super sentai but for the power creep and the more obvious Orientalism.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hengeyokai suffers because it's basically an excuse book for Breedbook: Kitsune. But since the first half of Hengeyokai goes on and on about how they're better than the Gaijin, and Kitsune are self important enough as it is. So they just come off as ludicrously full of themselves with their heads buried firmly underneath their fourth tail.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer, is this you, time-displaced or otherwise?

(Warning: sound.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I always liked the Hsien magic system better than that of the actual Changeling system - I know the designers meant to do a fan version of Changeling that used their magic system, but I don't think it was ever finished. I mean, it was completely broken because of TN manipulation, don't get me wrong, but I'll take that over a magic system that mostly just makes a wet farting sound whenever you try and cast a spell at your chief antagonists.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Hah, I wish. So far I'm only an unofficial wizard anywhere, though. Lucky devil actually gets a small stipend for his services.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've often thought about travelling south and applying for apprenticeship. If Christchurch can have a wizard, surely all our cities could use one.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I should use him as precedent for my Uni. If the University of New South Wales got to have a wizard, then surely my university full of pagans and hippies could handle an Official Wizard post. Just call it a chaplaincy service for the neopagan/hermetic/thelemic community.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Alright, who's been ghouling the deer?

Loomer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 10, 2017

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Loomer posted:

A++

That is going on a list of WTF things to pepper into my game.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Loomer posted:

ROBIN: What's he do, nibble your bum?

TIM: He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Obligatum VII posted:

It's built for the kind of furry who is basically an incarnation of every internet stereotype about them. I pity the werewolf ST (though it's possible they are ALSO that kind of furry, in which case I guess everyone is happy and you just pray you never have to interact with them).

I wouldn't go that far. They're pretty good people. It's far more likely that they just skimmed the book for stats and made characters because "look it's a were-whatever" is an appealing concept to them. I'm more confused because the STs we've got usually are pretty good about actually reading the whole book and figuring out if something is trash. So my only guess is that she didn't care enough and was like "yeah, sorta spiritual animal shifter? close enough, that'll work." and only recently actually bothered to read the Changing Breed book to realize that it was trash (probably to see why they were breaking her game).

But to confirm any of this, I'd have to actually ask her and I'm not sure I really wanna know what's going on there. If I'm wrong I'd rather keep these positive impressions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You might point War Against the Pure at them, I suppose. It's got other-shifter rules, too, and more Forsaken-y ones.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mors Rattus posted:

You might point War Against the Pure at them, I suppose. It's got other-shifter rules, too, and more Forsaken-y ones.

I'll let her know about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if after dealing with Changing Breeds she's locked herself down to a "traditional uratha only" set-up.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

War Against the Pure's shifters are pure love. By which I mean, it has were-cockroaches that still send a shudder down my spine every time I think of them while eating yesterday's leftover pizza.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Xinder posted:

I'll let her know about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if after dealing with Changing Breeds she's locked herself down to a "traditional uratha only" set-up.

the WATP shifters are balanced against the Uratha, but they're also 1st edition, so they aren't balanced against 2e's uberatha.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kurieg posted:

the WATP shifters are balanced against the Uratha, but they're also 1st edition, so they aren't balanced against 2e's uberatha.

That's okay. I brought up the idea of doing a gradual move to 2e last week and she went off about how she hates the werewolf changes. I didn't understand it because I don't werewolf, but I think it's safe to say they're still doing 1e.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I literally cannot comprehend that, but okay.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Are there any games that were particularly damaged by the shift to 2nd ed?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Promethean? I don't know, they both have problems but I would say 2e Promethean is way more payable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Beast.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Promethean? I don't know, they both have problems but I would say 2e Promethean is way more payable.

I think he's asking about worse, not better.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Spector29 posted:

Not really. Some games (especially Werewolf) got tremendously better.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
The only edition changes so far have been for the better. At worst you can argue they were sidegrades if you really hate particular aspects of a 2e line, but that involves some deep hate.

Combat's a little bit wonkier overall but nothing dealbreaking.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not a huge fan of the rehauling of Promethean because of Roles and all that poo poo but it could be far worse.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Vampire 2e is overall an improvement over 1e, but there are specific pieces of it that got worse, so if you're super attached to those then you might consider it a downgrade? Like, the Coils of the Dragon were cooler in 1e. 2e Celerity has this dumb perfect defense effect. And 2e Nightmare is pretty weird.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Spector29 posted:

There were individual changes that might not have been to the line's benefit. The 2e Mysteries of the Dragon in Vampire push the "Ordo wants to be a better monster" line a little to the exclusion of some of its 1e conceptual space, Promethean has some weird refocusing around Roles and the way Transmutations interact with Refinements that I haven't had a chance to taste-test in play, and while some folks like the new Anchors unique to the various splats (Mask and Dirge, Blood and Bone &c.) I tend to find them inferior to just using the 2e tuned-up Virtue and Vice for everyone.

Summed changes making a 2e game worse overall than its 1e incarnation? Not really so far. I'd call Promethean the closest, but like Daeren says, that kind of feels like a sidegrade to me, not outright inferior.

Are Xinder's friend's objections specifically to the things changed in Forsaken, or more generally to things changed in the core rules? I can see stuff like people disliking Conditions and beats, say, but the only thing that really sticks out to me that's Werewolf-specific is the awkward division of Death Rage into two phases with similar names.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah I think the worst thing I could say about Promethean 2e is that it leans incredibly hard into the New Terminology For A Thing That Is A Thing with powers/roles/types and poo poo. But once you actually parse it, it's not bad! At all!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Promethean 2e is an editing trash fire but it's otherwise good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'd say WtF 2E's problems are:

* full healing every turn makes for some really stupid and stupid-looking fights
* giving each tribe a favored prey isn't really believable and tends to feel arbitrary
* WAY more fiddly rules and rules exceptions and minor powers and other things to discover your character has before you even start picking gifts

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Full healing only happens in the warform, which is a time limited, and you have to be killing something or on your way to kill something to maintain it. It also allows you to do awesome things like have your throat torn out by a strength specced nosferatu dragur while on FIRE and get back up the next round.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Requiem 2E has enough stuff that is better and worse that it sorts of evens out and becomes more purely a matter of taste.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Speaking of Requiem, can anybody give me a refresher on the Stryx? I remember them being owl-demons that hollowed out Vampire souls or something, and don't have a copy of the book to be able to double check.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Spector29 posted:

Speaking of Requiem, can anybody give me a refresher on the Stryx? I remember them being owl-demons that hollowed out Vampire souls or something, and don't have a copy of the book to be able to double check.

Strix are owl-demons that can possess corpses. To a Strix, a vampire counts as a corpse. They can only really be killed by totally surrounding them with light.

They see vampires as being related to them, and claim that they're there to encourage vampires to embrace the fact that they're undead monsters and should stop pretending to be human.
They generally do this by being dicks to everyone around them and by loving up vampire society and turning them against each other as much as possible.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Soonmot posted:

Full healing only happens in the warform, which is a time limited, and you have to be killing something or on your way to kill something to maintain it. It also allows you to do awesome things like have your throat torn out by a strength specced nosferatu dragur while on FIRE and get back up the next round.

The problem my group ran into was when a werewolf death raged when fighting other werewolves, who then also death raged, and thus the fight went on forever.

There were probably rules we missed but if so I never found them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The rule is that in full death rage, werewolves don't attack each other - just everything else.