Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, it's not acting like he didn't do the dumbest thing possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I must have read Superman #45 in a really dusty room, with allergies. While cutting onions. Onto read 1000 with dread.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McCloud posted:

Well yes, but he did it in the dumbest god drat way. Isn't he an experienced time traveler? How the gently caress did he not see this ending in disaster? How would Batman even appreciate his "gift" since he wouldn't remember anything? It just assumes a colossal amount of stupidity on Boosters part, and also conveniently ignoring any previous rules (hard and soft ones) established about how time travel works.

Are we to believe this is some sort of magic xylophone? Heh, I sure hope somebody got fired for that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's some good stuff in Action Comics, but a lot of it is just meaningless fluff. Which, I guess for a celebration issue isn't such a bad thing.

And then Bendis' story was, uh, a story that was in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kicking it off in medias res fighting the antagoinist wasn't the best way for Bendis to introduce himself. I don't think people are concerned that he can write scenes about Superman being punched through buildings.
I did like that bit where he stopped himself from flying into the book store.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kicking it off in medias res fighting the antagoinist wasn't the best way for Bendis to introduce himself. I don't think people are concerned that he can write scenes about Superman being punched through buildings.
I did like that bit where he stopped himself from flying into the book store.

That's loving hilarious since his early Ultimate Marvel work was spending 5 issues of Spider-Man retelling the first 15 pages of Amazing Fantasy, and 6 issues retelling something like 2 pages from Fantastic Four.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If he's really going to hinge the start of his run on this villain then that's the biggest blunder I can imagine

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lee draws a terrible Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That's loving hilarious since his early Ultimate Marvel work was spending 5 issues of Spider-Man retelling the first 15 pages of Amazing Fantasy, and 6 issues retelling something like 2 pages from Fantastic Four.

Well, he didn't need to retell the origin here or anything, but I'd like to see how he writes Clark (if you haven't read the story, Supes is knocked out for 70% of this.) I'm guessing the MOS miniseries doesn't pick up right at this point, so there'll probably be calm, slice of life stuff at the start.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 80 years HC was kind of a waste of money.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know it's really a lot to expect writers to keep up with continuity involving tertiary DC characters, but Booster's characterization in this Batman issue was really, really awkward considering that the literal last time he appeared in Action Comics his entire schtick was him going "No Superman, we absolutely for certain definitely ironclad 100% cannot goddamn friggin' change the past for any reason whatsoever at all, end of story, no arguments no exceptions, especially if it involves our own parents!" for like six issues straight.

This has become kind of a thing with DC lately though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Isn't this supposed to be a younger less experienced Booster?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Is it? It's not as if the issue explains that. It's a Booster who's giving Batman a present for his upcoming wedding so I assumed he's at least a pretty "recent" version.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just noticed that Superman and Action Comics are going monthly with Bendis on them.

Now I just need everything else to go monthly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman goes monthly over my dead body! :mad:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Lee draws a terrible Superman.

I'm of the opinion he draws pretty much a terrible everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He drew a cool Gambit in 1991.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Is it? It's not as if the issue explains that. It's a Booster who's giving Batman a present for his upcoming wedding so I assumed he's at least a pretty "recent" version.

It can still be a less experienced one. He's a time traveling dude in a multiverse.

This seems closer to his more traditional characterization than his more recent, 'I'm a great superhero, with quips.' Which might be a more aged Booster. Or not really Booster at all. Or maybe that booster is the one from the light multiverse and the one Batman encountered is one from the dark one, just unknowing. And I appreciate this can be considered giving excuses or whatever, but in the very beginning he sees Green Lantern blow his own brains out and says it's awesome.

Good comic. Nightwing, too. Surprised to like the ending of Justice League. Though Deathstroke saying he looks 35 seems like, a joke. Even when he was de-aged (did that stick?) he seemed younger than that, and no way 'ordinary' Deathstroke looks 35.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 19, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just wanna see what bat inspired Dick.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just wanna see what bat inspired Dick.

I REAAAALLLLY dug Jason as a lethal car alarm salesman.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That exact Action Comics story arc with Booster Gold was basically six issues of:

"Superman, you can't alter the timeline to save your family. You just can't."
"Superman, please! Don't try to travel in time to save your parents, if you change the past it is the most terrible thing ever, actually it just CAN'T BE DONE."
"SUPERMAN I SWEAR TO GOD, CHANGING THE TIMELINE TO SAVE YOUR MOM OR DAD WOULD SHATTER REALITY."
"Oh, huh, Lois got murdered when I wasn't paying attention. Heh, off to travel in time to save her, no big deal, heh heh."
~fin~

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I remember the Batgirl arc with him, where he tried to save her but failed. But it seemed more like a specific thing was meant to happen, but not necessarily in an exact way (Barbara I don't think remembers Booster trying to save her).

That said, Batman has saved his own parents at least once while time traveling so if there are fixed events, this doesn't seem to be one. It does seem to be a very common event, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm annoyed that for the Jurgens story, every Lantern but Kyle showed up. What the gently caress? Deathstroke gets to show up but not Kyle?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My brain just went to "What is they got Quitely and Morrison in for a chapter of AC1K?" and now I'm depressed for the rest of the day.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Onmi posted:

I'm annoyed that for the Jurgens story, every Lantern but Kyle showed up. What the gently caress? Deathstroke gets to show up but not Kyle?

"I was trying to protect the world one day and this Superman from another universe named Majestic took my ring. He said I didn't deserve it. Thankfully Superman, our Supes, had a talk with him in a diner and got it back for me. Thank you, Superman."

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 19, 2018

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Onmi posted:

Very funny seeing the international hardman mercenary turning up to clap Superman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of which, this whole ending of the Justice League arc turned into waaaay too much of a "Omigod isn't Deathstroke the loving coolest!!!" fiesta for me. I know Priest is also writing the Deathstroke title, but c'mon. He stuck out like a sore bloody thumb in the middle of this storyline, and what's more, it was a sore bloody thumb that accentuated all of Slade's most annoying traits instead of his...well, not his best traits exactly, because he doesn't have any of those, but at least the ones that aren't as annoying. Every time this guy pops up is just another reminder that, ah yes, he is in fact my least favorite comics character. I had forgotten for a few blissful moments, but there he goes reminding me again. Good ol' Deathstroke.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually Deathstroke showing up to call the Justice League a bunch of white people was cool and good

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's Scott from Comedy Bang Bang with his Action Comics. I dunno if anyone here's a fan of comedy podcasts, but it made me tingly.
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/986696939633655808

Also, I bought the new Mad Magazine and flicked through it and it's about the same as I remember. Maybe more pages from some neat young indie cartoonists than usual, but the last issue I looked at was maybe 20 years ago, so :shrug:
To be fair, I haven't actually read it yet, but I was expecting a big ol' shift in format for the relaunch.
e: The digital version's fold-in animates closed as you swipe pages, which was a nice thought.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 19, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

X-O posted:

Definitely not empty-quoting. Most everything Lee designs is pretty garbage too.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe more pages from some neat young indie cartoonists than usual

Look up the credits on the main articles, nobody's young in this crowd.

It's a problem of the same poo poo re-heated.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Look up the credits on the main articles, nobody's young in this crowd.

It's a problem of the same poo poo re-heated.

Wait so you mean to tell me a TLJ parody with "Vice-Admiral Dildo" in it isn't comedy gold?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

purple death ray posted:

Are we to believe this is some sort of magic xylophone? Heh, I sure hope somebody got fired for that.

I don't know if you're purposefully being stupid or if you enjoy lovely characterization that flies in the face of previous appearances, but for us with longer memory than 2 weeks it's kind of grating to see someone do a complete 180 from even their last appearance less than a month ago. Maybe it's both!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was talking about the Potrzebie Comics section, not Spy vs Spy, A Mad Look, or the regular movie/tv parody.
Admittedly, looking up Kerry Callen, Luke McGarry, and Bob Fingerman, I did get the 'young' bit wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's Scott from Comedy Bang Bang with his Action Comics. I dunno if anyone here's a fan of comedy podcasts, but it made me tingly.
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/986696939633655808

How long would it have taken if it hadn't gone weekly for a while in the 90s?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

How long would it have taken if it hadn't gone weekly for a while in the 90s?

It was only weekly for 42 issues so that plus it double shipping for Rebirth so not too much longer.

Edit: So like, 2020?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 19, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Still say that cover should have an asterisk next to the number 1000.
:goonsay:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Still say that cover should have an asterisk next to the number 1000.
:goonsay:

Marvel doesn't do it and they hyped their renumbering way more than DC did this book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e:
https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/986973801777950722

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Action #600 was one of my earliest purchases, I wish I could say I bought every issue since but I fell in and out of comics and on and off the Superman books many times.

This just reminded me that I need to get on it and buy the Superman GA archives since I stopped at V2.