Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MZ posted:

More importantly there is no way to export anything out of the game.
I think Dreams is an incredible achievement and it's amazing to see what people have been able to create. But I can't help but feel those dozens (hundreds?) of hours spent creating stuff like this would be better spent in Maya/Unreal/Unity/etc. in something that wasn't such a closed platform.

When they decide to turn the Dreams servers off in X years what happens to all these creations? Although I do wonder with it coming so late into this gen if Dreams will get enhanced capabilities on PS5...

It's functionally a cloud platform, so there's zero reason (if they build it right) that a version of Dreams on PS5 couldn't run all the PS4-made content.

The effort involved really is something that would be better spent learning Unity or Unreal and how to model in something like Blender though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Honestly, if Dreams mostly functions as a USD$40 gateway drug that gets people into maybe looking into Blender or C# or a DAW and finding a calling or even side-hobby then I think that's fuckin' rad.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MZ posted:

More importantly there is no way to export anything out of the game.
I think Dreams is an incredible achievement and it's amazing to see what people have been able to create. But I can't help but feel those dozens (hundreds?) of hours spent creating stuff like this would be better spent in Maya/Unreal/Unity/etc. in something that wasn't such a closed platform.

When they decide to turn the Dreams servers off in X years what happens to all these creations? Although I do wonder with it coming so late into this gen if Dreams will get enhanced capabilities on PS5...

its not a problem, when they turn the servers off they kill anyone who made or played any of the games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Come to think of it, I guess LBP1, 2 and 3 are still active (unless you're in Japan). Karting might be dead everywhere now - I think it was still up in the UK for a while after the US though, PSP definitely is. Not sure about Vita. The Dreamiverse should be around for a while.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

its not a problem, when they turn the servers off they kill anyone who made or played any of the games

They should do this with all games

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Honestly, if Dreams mostly functions as a USD$40 gateway drug that gets people into maybe looking into Blender or C# or a DAW and finding a calling or even side-hobby then I think that's fuckin' rad.

The game industry don't deserve young artist - No while stuff like "crunch" exists

Programmers and other technical types can make more money elsewhere

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tei posted:

The game industry don't deserve young artist - No while stuff like "crunch" exists

I don't really disagree - hence why I said C# instead of U3D/UE4/etc.

but also lmao crunch will literally never die as long as the capitalist backbone of america breathes

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Tei posted:

Unfortunately pretty much every creative industry involves crunch and it's not going anywhere until people properly unionise (which isn't looking good).

Of course programmers can make more money working in finance/start-ups/etc. but I imagine the people who work in games do it because they enjoy making games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you really wanted to make money you'd just steal jewels. i dont see the problem

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe all the people designing cool video games in Dreams don’t own computers. Aren’t all those dev kits for people with PCs? Can you even just buy a copy of those professional dev kits and goof around on your PS4?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MZ posted:

Unfortunately pretty much every creative industry involves crunch and it's not going anywhere until people properly unionise (which isn't looking good).

Of course programmers can make more money working in finance/start-ups/etc. but I imagine the people who work in games do it because they enjoy making games.

Gamers once again proving they're their own worst enemy...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In France they call it

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Count me in as another who doesn't get dreams.
I keep finding myself thinking it's cool but then I remember that it would be easier, less time time consuming and less frustrating to make whatever idea I may have (which I currently don't have any) in unity or ue4.

These days we've got free daws, unity and ue4 are free, blender is free, Max & Maya are free if you pinkie promise it's for education purposes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG2iDmIxPbY

This seems both cool and excessive

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

Count me in as another who doesn't get dreams.
I keep finding myself thinking it's cool but then I remember that it would be easier, less time time consuming and less frustrating to make whatever idea I may have (which I currently don't have any) in unity or ue4.

These days we've got free daws, unity and ue4 are free, blender is free, Max & Maya are free if you pinkie promise it's for education purposes.

While doing anything complex in Dreams is definitely more tedious and time consuming than in most other "professional" tools, everything before reaching that threshold is really easy and even fun. While Blender is finally starting to get usable by human beings, the learning curve is a wall compared to Dreams. You need to know you want to dedicate a portion of your life to learning something like Blender versus just playing around with a controller. The same applies for most of the tools included.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Any tips before I start Death Stranding?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tesh posted:

Your goal is get to chapter 3 asap. The game gives you a lot of toys and you really get a better idea of what the game is like there.

So in chapter 1/2 only do stuff that's necessary for the story.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tesh posted:

Go in blind!

But for a generic tip don't get obsessed with min-maxing things early on, it won't do you any good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tesh posted:

Don't feel the need to complete everything before moving on to the next main quests/areas, you can always come back. I'd suggest sticking to the main quests only until at least Chapter 3 as you get some helpful tools, and then again in Chapter 5 you get some even better ones that can trivialize deliveries that used to be really hard.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tesh posted:

Likers get liked 👍

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tesh posted:

i dont think the game ever explicitly spells it out anywhere but wearing your bridges hat helps with your endurance.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

univbee posted:

In France they call it

This is a superior title

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

univbee posted:

In France they call it

In high school I played some dumb wad that dropped a bunch of random Pulp Fiction sound clips all over the game so there was one enemy where every time I killed one it would whisper "...royale with cheese".

rabidsquid posted:

i dont think the game ever explicitly spells it out anywhere but wearing your bridges hat helps with your endurance.

Another important thing that isn't explicitly spelled out is that there are gear and upgrades unlocked by raising your rating with preppers.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am excited to go back to death stranding one day eventually knowing my save isn't lost, I think I'd just started chapter 4

Just gotta finish Kiwami 2, and Bloodstained, and Judgement, and DMC 5 then maybe ill finally give red dead 2 a fair shot and then ill be ready

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

It does what?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get the harmonica imo

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Akuma posted:

It does what?

It says in its description that it improves the wearers stamina

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
DS tip - as soon as you can, raise your rating with (spoilered name of prepper just to be safe) The Collector, you get an extremely useful upgrade

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
^^^ aw gently caress, seriously?? :laffo:

Real hurthling! posted:

Get the harmonica imo

I beat the game and somehow never found this

I never figured out how to get the grognard who lived in a canyon and collected old PS1s how to join the UCA either

My two great shames

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

DS tip - as soon as you can, raise your rating with (spoilered name of prepper just to be safe) The Collector, you get an extremely useful upgrade

What is it?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

the backpack cover that protects cargo from timefall. with all the high tech stuff in the game, you'd think a tarp would be something you'd have from the beginning.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

the backpack cover that protects cargo from timefall. with all the high tech stuff in the game, you'd think a tarp would be something you'd have from the beginning.

Oh right I'm on Ch7 and I never got that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh hell yeah hunt showdown came out today. Thought it was gonna be the 22nd. Anyone gonna be playing tonight?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

lunar detritus posted:

While doing anything complex in Dreams is definitely more tedious and time consuming than in most other "professional" tools, everything before reaching that threshold is really easy and even fun. While Blender is finally starting to get usable by human beings, the learning curve is a wall compared to Dreams. You need to know you want to dedicate a portion of your life to learning something like Blender versus just playing around with a controller. The same applies for most of the tools included.

I was mostly talking about myself there - i know how to use 3d software and can copy paste code/logic blueprints into a somewhat functional spaghetti. I was saying how it appeals to me, until i realise i dont need to use it.

Things like the wipeout or fallout projects are what is insane to me. You cant create logic that complex without already having a good understanding of how logic should work - which means you can code, and if you cant you've already somehow learned the hard part.
same with the 3d modeling - if you can do it in dreams to that standard all you need to do to learn most pro software is figure out where the buttons are.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2020

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Thanks for the tips! I'm excited to dive into DS after finishing up Spider-Man (which is kinda dragging me to the finish line, honestly).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bayo/Vanquish pack is out, turbo sliding across the PSN store page and spending all my suit energy on meleeing that buy button

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Bayo/Vanquish pack is out, turbo sliding across the PSN store page and spending all my suit energy on meleeing that buy button

Oh gently caress

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

veni veni veni posted:

Oh hell yeah hunt showdown came out today. Thought it was gonna be the 22nd. Anyone gonna be playing tonight?

This looks interesting and the concept is cool as hell, not sure how I completely missed hearing about it. It sounds like there's only one map so far though, is that right? Seems like that might get old pretty quick unless it's gigantic, but I'd love to hear your impressions after you've played for a bit because the setting is right up my alley and based on a couple clips I watched the gameplay looks pretty satisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2 maps. At least on PC and Xbox so I’m assuming the PS4 version is the same? Not totally sure though.

They look huge though. Bunch of different zones and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, Bioshock Infinite is just full of bad early 2010s fps ideas. The worst is the two weapon limit in a 'shock game. I wish the remaster just gave you a full weapon wheel as God intended.

Also, the gameplay in Catherine is excellent even if I had to drop it down to easy, cuz I'm bad at it. I also love that it's quite possibly the worst/best couples game ever made. Like a relationship grenade in game form.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 18, 2020