Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

JP Money posted:

Jason Goes to Hell is pretty bad. This has come up in the thread multiple times but I thought Jason X was better. It's still worth a watch for the absolutely ridiculous plot and what I thought was probably the cheesiest ending they could have produced.

I love Jason X, Jason Goes To Hell is the only movie in the series I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It'll never hold a candle towards Jason killing crackheads in NYC or jamming a steaming hot sauna rock into someone's face :allears:

Violator
May 15, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I just want to add that because I suck I haven't read the original novel, but still thought the movie was really rad. It's basically the good aspects of Troll Hunter meets The Thing meets Blair Witch with hints of Quarantine. It's really loving great.

It also seemed pretty heavily influenced by modern Bigfoot mythos and research. I noticed quite a few things that made my crypto-sense tingle.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

From the trailer it seemed more like a bigfoot movie than it did a Frankenstein movie. But hey, trailers arent everything.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have read Frankenstein more than once but have not seen that movie yet.

Jump on it, man! It's basically a sequel, and places disproportionate focus on the themes of the book over the monster smashing action.

Avoid the mildly spoiley trailer, if possible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's on Streaming so I have no excuse.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I love the novel Frankenstein as a commentary on the hypocrisy and failures of the Romantic movement and the Enlightenment while also participating and advocating both things. It's a really interesting text and amazing expression of a marginalized voice. It sucks that the filmed history of it mostly focuses on generic hubris / science is bad messages rather than the really nuanced things Shelley was doing in the novel. The way that Shelley was able to articulate that experience while also totally embodying / satirizing the Enlightenment/Romantic ego impulse is awesome to me. Someone on here described Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy as something like "the nightmares of a rational mind which fears that it isn't entirely rational" or something like that and that is probably my main interest as far as horror in art goes.

I think my favorite passage in the book is when Frankenstein is ascending into the mountains and there's all these super overwrought dramatic descriptions of the beauty of nature and his fantasies of conquering it and being loved forever and poo poo like that and then at the apex the monster comes out of nowhere and he's disgusted and terrified. "Haha dude the ultimate realization of your egotistical desire to experience the sublime is this hideous thing that hates you and is vastly superior to you in every way." I can't think of anything like that specific moment in film.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Based on recommendations from this thread I just watched The Loved Ones, and I'm very happy I did!

From the description it could look like just another torture feature, and while it certainly doesn't lack torment, it also has a streak of pitch black humor that will make you laugh while you cringe. I loved how the subplot with the geek friend contrasted against the main story, while also being a subversion of the very teen horror movie it superficially looks like from the outside.

Robin McLeavy as Princess is fantastically evil/creepy. Not to mention her dad, creepy doesn't even begin there.

Catch this one if you don't already have. Oh, and while I know Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean much by itself, when was the last time a gore horror flick got 98%?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's on Streaming so I have no excuse.

I'm hearing lots of good things but man I have a tough time doing found footage these days. I'm so over it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

acephalousuniverse posted:

I love the novel Frankenstein as a commentary on the hypocrisy and failures of the Romantic movement and the Enlightenment while also participating and advocating both things. It's a really interesting text and amazing expression of a marginalized voice. It sucks that the filmed history of it mostly focuses on generic hubris / science is bad messages rather than the really nuanced things Shelley was doing in the novel. The way that Shelley was able to articulate that experience while also totally embodying / satirizing the Enlightenment/Romantic ego impulse is awesome to me. Someone on here described Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy as something like "the nightmares of a rational mind which fears that it isn't entirely rational" or something like that and that is probably my main interest as far as horror in art goes.

I think my favorite passage in the book is when Frankenstein is ascending into the mountains and there's all these super overwrought dramatic descriptions of the beauty of nature and his fantasies of conquering it and being loved forever and poo poo like that and then at the apex the monster comes out of nowhere and he's disgusted and terrified. "Haha dude the ultimate realization of your egotistical desire to experience the sublime is this hideous thing that hates you and is vastly superior to you in every way." I can't think of anything like that specific moment in film.

Yeah, there's never been a good attempt at Shelley's vision. The film versions are all in the shadow of the James Whale films, which are indebted to the WWI films Journey's End and All Quiet on the Western Front (Journey's End got Whale Frankenstein and he went on to direct a sequel to All Quiet). There's a lot of post-war guilt about the mutilated unloved strong young men we created out of the ashes of old world Europe.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Drunkboxer posted:

Death Proof won me over with its ending, more than anything else.

Death Proof won me over with absolutely everything that happened after Kurt Russel paused, looked right at the audience, smirked, and winked.

I mean, the stuff before that is actually pretty interesting too. But everything after that is incredible. And Zoe Bell and her friends are straight-up amazingly put together characters*, and seemed like awesome people to hang out with.

*I am aware Bell was playing a slightly cartoonish version of herself, please don't try to explain that to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Someone on here described Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy as something like "the nightmares of a rational mind which fears that it isn't entirely rational" or something like that and that is probably my main interest as far as horror in art goes.

That was me, although I'm 99% certain I was standing on SMG's shoulders to get there. But yeah, the beauty of those films is that they simultaneously present science (The Thing), critical distance (In the Mouth of Madness), or a certain humanistic strain of religion (Prince of Darkness) as our greatest defense against evil -- and yet that defense simply isn't good enough.

There's no neat moral correction, no "if you do this the serial killer/monster will get you, but if you're good you'll live to the end." There's just the human way of understanding the universe and then the hungry void beyond.

I really need to go back and read Frankenstein. I spent years thinking I had read the novel, only to later realize that when I was a kid (like eleven or twelve) my parents bought me a set of "abridged" classics, which pretty well butchered the narrative and language in an attempt to make it more accessible.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Saw this on Tumblr, thought it was pretty cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There was another recent ad that did something similar. The new Danny Boyle, maybe?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

There was another recent ad that did something similar. The new Danny Boyle, maybe?

Carrie remake has one.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Here's a Trailer for the movie Evidence directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, the guy that directed The Fourth Kind
I'm only interested because for all intents and purposes, The Fourth Kind should have been a stupid movie, but I felt the pacing and directing of it elevates it to something better.
I'm wondering if Olatunde Osunsanmi can repeat that with what looks like a similarly stupid script for this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxpoTG-Jhz8

Lots of spinning camera shots in the beginning.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's great to see The Loved Ones getting so much love, it really is a fantastic movie I think the reason I love it so much is that it really actually addresses some emotional issues in a realistic way The mother's reaction to her son missing, the realistic approach the sheriff takes to hearing the son missing, learning that the boy was in the beginning was the brother which eventually of course led him into her path because of the impact his father's death had. The absolute horrific sequences of violence interspersed with the hilarity of his friend and the girl. It's really the only few films that raises the question of " These other people matter, they are real people with real families ". I think that's why it made it better honestly as it showed everyone did have emotional cores and weren't just these vapid characters of emptiness, just constructs to be tortured and maimed but actual real people with problems. That their families actually suffered from their loss. It just showed that death has impact on people and changes people. I also really enjoyed that it was genuinely funny.

It's a really good movie and while it doesn't turn that genre on its head it at least approaches it in a very fresh sense. I mean it's a literal coming of age film, with gore and humour. I mean on paper it sounds like there is no way in hell that would work but it does.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Martha Marcy May Marlene was the first thing I saw that had an ad like that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So much of Loved Ones hinges on that riveting performance by Robin McLeavy. When I was telling people after the screening that she was comparable to Kathy Bates' Annie Wilkes, they were all 'you crazy' but I think Princess is well worth mentioning in the same breath as that character.

I just like that it brings a bunch of horror elements together in a neat way that doesn't seem forced. A little Misery here, some Texas Chainsaw there, a little Hostel, and whatever that was in the pit/basement. On a big screen the stuff in the basement reminded me a little of the claustrophobia you feel watching The Descent. It's drat near perfect and is up there with Resolution, American Mary (which is getting a very limited theatre run this week in Toronto - not sure about other markets), Lovely Molly, and The Woman as my favourite horrors of the last decade or so.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Saw 'The Purge' last night and it is absolutely awful. Probably beat out GI Joe as the worst film i've seen at the cinema so far in 2013.

Whilst the concept is pretty bizarre, I guess there are some interesting points the movie could have raised. Instead it is played completely straight with one of the most scattered, poorly written scripts of recent memory. As a layman it could still not have been more obvious that this film needed to lose at least 25% of the pre-house invasion build up along with about 50% of the cast. Everyone except the family, the homeless guy and maybe two or three of the yuppies should have been dropped. In a film based on one location it is actually incredible that they managed to make a film that is this fragmented and incoherent.

It's worth noting that it's not really a horror despite being marketed as such. The killers are boring beyond measure and the set-pieces when they eventually do occur are rushed and directed with no tension or suspense whatsoever.

Combine all this with the stupidest movie character decision making skills you will see in a long time.

Strongly advise everyone to give this one a miss. Completely without merit and I was pretty bored for the entire run-time. Does nothing that The Strangers didn't already do at least 10 times better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't understand why Martha Marcy May Marlene get categorized as a horror film? I mean it's a amazing film and you should watch it but it's not really a horror film. In fact I would say it's a drama if anything with a few moments of suspense.

How is American Mary someone mentioned it being good. I've never heard of it.

Jason X is obviously the best film of the franchise , I don't know how you can argue it's not. :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

djf posted:

Saw 'The Purge' last night and it is absolutely awful. Probably beat out GI Joe as the worst film i've seen at the cinema so far in 2013.

Yikes. GI Joe 2 has a handful of amusing moments but it is definitely in my bottom 3 movies I've seen this year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollis posted:

I absolutely loved it. It's smartly-written and never seems exploitative of any of its characters, though it easily could've gone in that direction. A couple of my female friends thought that the treatment of an incident of sexual assault to be too facile which I think is valid but outside of that it works really well and, considering the subject matter, isn't nearly as gory as you'd expect. Katharine Isabelle is also the most likeable horror protagonist that I've seen in quite a while, but I'm biased because I think she is just a delight in everything she's in.

e: yikes, the AV Club really panned it http://www.avclub.com/articles/american-mary,98337/

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 4, 2013

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Death Proof won me over with absolutely everything that happened after Kurt Russel paused, looked right at the audience, smirked, and winked.

I mean, the stuff before that is actually pretty interesting too. But everything after that is incredible. And Zoe Bell and her friends are straight-up amazingly put together characters*, and seemed like awesome people to hang out with.

*I am aware Bell was playing a slightly cartoonish version of herself, please don't try to explain that to me.

I remember when this first came out a lot of people didnt like the female Sam Jackson.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollis posted:

I don't understand why Martha Marcy May Marlene get categorized as a horror film? I mean it's a amazing film and you should watch it but it's not really a horror film. In fact I would say it's a drama if anything with a few moments of suspense.

I never said it was a horror film, I just said it was the first movie I saw with an animated poster like that one for The Purge.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I don't know what made me remember it, but I watched the trailer for Xtro, 1983.

http://youtu.be/xJ6WAr9lxVs

Watch it, it's awesome.

Oh hey, all of Xtro 2 is up there
http://youtu.be/siO_XmrVAbg

schwenz fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 5, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

the_american_dream posted:

I remember when this first came out a lot of people didnt like the female Sam Jackson.

Who the gently caress didn't love Jungle Julia? :allears: (played by actress Sydney Poitier, daughter of Sidney Poitier. Yeah.)

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
I just finished The Frankenstein Theory and I really didn't care for it. I wanted to enjoy it because Frankenstein is one of my favorite novels of all time, and the film's premise was fairly interesting. But it's pretty boring; nothing happens for 2/3 of the run time, and when the action ramps up the film becomes a slasher movie and the Monster simply dispatches every character one by one. The end. Other people have mentioned how none of the adaptations of Frankenstein have been faithful and that is absolutely the case here. The classic Boris Karloff version had far more character than the generic monster in Theory. If you love the complex, Miltonian creature from the novel I'd recommend skipping this one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just finished American Mary and didn't particularly care for it at all. I would rate it 2/5, here is why ( lots of spoilers) . It's frankly played out at this point to have the audience invested in the revenge rape scenario, want to make a justification for a character taking revenge no matter what and create immediate sympathy have her raped. Make all the guys dick heads in the movies, and play that out. There's no reason whatsoever for her to literally turn into a psychopath. She's shown to be morally questionable before the rape but nothing to the degree that she is mentally unbalanced and it will drive her insane. The gore that is in the film is neither really shocking or that graphic. The character is absolutely flat, and speaks almost in a low monotone voice in some scenes. I mean she literally goes from med student to loving psycho in a instant. Yes, I understand rape is a horrible horrible thing but why was it even neccessary? It had nothing to do with the plot at all. It was obvious that whether the rape occurred or not her downfall wasn't that she seeked revenge it was that she gave body modifications to questionably sane people for money. Her downfall was greed. That was it, the entire subplot of her being raped could have been dropped. It literally served no purpose. It didn't create a monster she was already that way before hand shown to just do anything for money. Why not just show her slow decline through greed and involvement in body modification? Then there's this tacked on subplot of romantic involvement that you never see at any point and then just comes out of nowhere towards the end

I just found the whole movie uninspired. Mandy goes to Med School by Amanda Palmer is a better film and it's a song.

Okay this had me thinking though the last good Werewolf movie I saw was Dog Soldiers, and that was years ago ( yes I know about Ginger Snaps, but Dog Soldiers was after that I think.

Anyway any good Werewolf movies out there right now?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 5, 2013

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

schwenz posted:

I don't know what made me remember it, but I watched the trailer for Xtro, 1983.

http://youtu.be/xJ6WAr9lxVs

Watch it, it's awesome.

Oh hey, all of Xtro 2 is up there
http://youtu.be/siO_XmrVAbg

Xtro is one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Great lo-fi effects, too.

Are the sequels as crazy?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollis posted:

I just finished American Mary and didn't particularly care for it at all. I would rate it 2/5, here is why ( lots of spoilers) . It's frankly played out at this point to have the audience invested in the revenge rape scenario, want to make a justification for a character taking revenge no matter what and create immediate sympathy have her raped. Make all the guys dick heads in the movies, and play that out. There's no reason whatsoever for her to literally turn into a psychopath. She's shown to be morally questionable before the rape but nothing to the degree that she is mentally unbalanced and it will drive her insane. The gore that is in the film is neither really shocking or that graphic. The character is absolutely flat, and speaks almost in a low monotone voice in some scenes. I mean she literally goes from med student to loving psycho in a instant. Yes, I understand rape is a horrible horrible thing but why was it even neccessary? It had nothing to do with the plot at all. It was obvious that whether the rape occurred or not her downfall wasn't that she seeked revenge it was that she gave body modifications to questionably sane people for money. Her downfall was greed. That was it, the entire subplot of her being raped could have been dropped. It literally served no purpose. It didn't create a monster she was already that way before hand shown to just do anything for money. Why not just show her slow decline through greed and involvement in body modification? Then there's this tacked on subplot of romantic involvement that you never see at any point and then just comes out of nowhere towards the end

I just found the whole movie uninspired. Mandy goes to Med School by Amanda Palmer is a better film and it's a song.

The sexual assault scene is absolutely the catalyst for her change in character and is necessary to drive an extremely talented surgeon out of the medical profession and into the underground trade where she ends up. Without that, there's no reason at all why she would've thrown away a lucrative career as a surgeon in favour of doing body mods. I very much disagree that she is a 'monster' prior to the assault as well - she's a broke college student who is desperate, and I think that comes off pretty well.

I agree though, the romantic subplot is kind of shoehorned into the third act, but it was of so little consequence that it was easily ignored.

What did you think of the visual style and the musical choices? I found those both took the movie right out of 'uninspired' territory.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Who the gently caress didn't love Jungle Julia? :allears: (played by actress Sydney Poitier, daughter of Sidney Poitier. Yeah.)

Still doesn't beat George Foreman naming his daughter Georgetta.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

Still doesn't beat George Foreman naming his daughter Georgetta.

Except Georgetta is a real name.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hollis posted:

I saw it, and I loved it. Gotta really echo the poster who said it was smartly written and all that. I think one of the things that I really liked about it was that while they could have just gone full out torture porn with it they just decided to make it about the characters instead.

One of the posters above complained in spoilers about the lack of gore but if you ask me that's a plus. Even in scenes where it would make sense to show gore and guts, they rather pan the camera away to medieval illustrations of what she's doing along with hearing the patient groaning. That to me was way more unnerving than seeing a bunch of CGI blood being spilled.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Holy crap, Renny Harlin directed a found footage movie about the Dyatlov Incident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP_Zxm3BeeE

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Frankenstein and Carpenter's The Thing have a great deal in common, specifically, in that both contextualize the horror of being a woman in a patriarchy in a way a man can understand without the distraction and titillation of literal sex. The Thing is about rape; the threat of the creature is both physical pain and suffering and the loss of control over the body and identity.

Frankenstein is about a man experiencing the existential horror of becoming a woman in the 1800s, totally subject to the whims of a physically superior, brutish being. The creature demands that Frankenstein create a mate for him under the threat of killing Frankenstein's own- the threat, then, is that the white male upper class that Frankenstein represents will be overwhelmed and subsumed by this new race, living in a world they don't control and subject to the constant threat of violence- in effect, becoming a woman. The films usually play this as the complete opposite, making the creature sympathetic and not an inhuman monster that carries with him the threat of annihilation of his creator's race and social structure.

Frankenstein in film, especially the Brannagh version, is about the existential horror of evolution. Frankenstein doesn't personify God, he personifies nature; although artificial, the creature is the creation of a simple human being in a mechanistic, materialistic universe- the end result of a chain of cause and events without love or malice. The monster, unlike us, is able to confront the embodiment of this process directly and realize that he is not God, that he (the creature) exists because poo poo happens, he came from nothing and will return to nothing and his existence is pointless. Hence the creature's composite nature- he, like us, is just made up of stuff that used to be something else, with no particular significance or importance other than what he and others assign to it.

Frankenstein shares in this revelation and this horror leads to his ultimate refusal to answer the creature's need for a companion. He is playing God, but his crime is offering the false hope of God, rather than offending a nonexistent one by mocking his powers in a Tower of Babel sense. There is no God, and it's as terrible a crime to mislead the creature about his existence as it is to birth him into a world that has no place for him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
About drat time someone made a horror film about the Dyatlov Pass incident.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Skywalker OG posted:

Xtro is one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Great lo-fi effects, too.

Are the sequels as crazy?

Xtro 2, where the filmmaker retained rights to the name Xtro but not its story, is basically Shadowzone, but with aliens instead of sleepy people. Also less screaming and computer nonsense. That's pretty much all I can recall, despite having seen the movie no more than two weeks ago.
XTRO: Watch The Skies may turn you into a sleepy person. Imagine if you never saw E.T. show up, not even to squeal off-camera, for the first 30 minutes of his movie, and there was just a half-hour of watching the federal agents bumble around finding nothing. Then E.T. shows up again, and he's part spider and part Predator, but not at all proactive, so he just kind of glares a lot. It's less interesting than that version of E.T. would be. There are some good black and white film-reel segments, though, including an uncomfortable examination scene.
Neither sequel has anywhere near the creativity of the first film, which is a drat shame.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The trailer for Insidious 2 is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbi4NeebAk

I LOVED the first one (Yes, even the Further stuff) and can't wait for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha, I can't believe the line "HOW CAN THIS loving THING HAPPEN TO THE SAME FAMILY TWICE?!" wasn't uttered during this. :ughh:

The first one was so cool. It should have been a one-off.

Though I did really like how Tiny Tim was played in this just like it was in the first movie.

Who am I kidding, though? I'll see it anyway. Even if it doesn't look like it's doing anything different from the first one.