Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

37 weeks tomorrow. Experiencing cramping and back pain consistently, so nothing to time. Doctor has me resting and waiting to see if there will be any increase in pain, and timetable contractions. Wondering if the baby will make an early appearance. Last Wednesday I was 1cm dilated, 50% effaced and baby was at -1.

You can do it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

silvergoose posted:

You can do it!!

Thanks, silvergoose!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So it kinda feels like I’m pregnant again. My boobs have been firm and tender for the past week and I’m getting cystic acne again. I haven’t had either of those things since I was pregnant. I understand it could just be PMS, but I’ve never experienced PMS symptoms before. The pregnancy test I took was negative, but my period isn’t expected for a couple more days, so maybe it wasn’t accurate?

Frustrating either way.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Nessa posted:

So it kinda feels like I’m pregnant again. My boobs have been firm and tender for the past week and I’m getting cystic acne again. I haven’t had either of those things since I was pregnant. I understand it could just be PMS, but I’ve never experienced PMS symptoms before. The pregnancy test I took was negative, but my period isn’t expected for a couple more days, so maybe it wasn’t accurate?

Frustrating either way.

Hey there. The pregnancy symptoms like breast tenderness are caused by hormones, and by the time the hormone levels are that high they should be showing up in a pregnancy test too. But wait a few days and repeat the test. It should be accurate by about two weeks after sex or by the time your next period is due.

Keep us posted! I hope you get the result you’re hoping for.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

boquiabierta posted:

Hey there. The pregnancy symptoms like breast tenderness are caused by hormones, and by the time the hormone levels are that high they should be showing up in a pregnancy test too. But wait a few days and repeat the test. It should be accurate by about two weeks after sex or by the time your next period is due.

Keep us posted! I hope you get the result you’re hoping for.

Bah, it was still negative. My husband was so sure I was pregnant. I guess it was just the first time I’ve experienced PMS symptoms.

Oh well, better luck next month.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PMS gets worse at 28 then 35, enjoy ;_____;

(maybe PMS counts in dog years, "bitch"
lol)

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

36 weeks and starting to get realllll nervous about this whole giving birth thing. I'm anxious about the pain, the unknown, potential emergencies, how I'll be treated... oy. Any words of support or encouragement or reassurance much appreciated.

also per my favorite lactation consultant who I used to work with, I'm starting to hand-express and collect colostrum to have as a backup supply in case baby and I have trouble establishing breastfeeding in the beginning. Got around 4 mLs yesterday it is the coolest superpower ever.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

boquiabierta posted:

36 weeks and starting to get realllll nervous about this whole giving birth thing. I'm anxious about the pain, the unknown, potential emergencies, how I'll be treated... oy. Any words of support or encouragement or reassurance much appreciated.

also per my favorite lactation consultant who I used to work with, I'm starting to hand-express and collect colostrum to have as a backup supply in case baby and I have trouble establishing breastfeeding in the beginning. Got around 4 mLs yesterday it is the coolest superpower ever.

I know some people are all about the “you can do it, your body is meant to do this, rah rah girl power” type of encouragement but for me having low expectations and a plan to get an epidural as early as possible was the key to success. I prepared myself for the worst case scenario (hours of labor, no progress, failed epidural, c-section) and ended up pleasantly surprised when everything went smoothly.

I wish someone had told me to collect colostrum pre-birth because I leaked for months and could have used that milk in the first few days after birth. I had to supplement with formula before my milk came in but at the end of the day it was no big deal, I was able to exclusively breastfeed both kids to 13 months and even had an oversupply.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

boquiabierta posted:

You can do it! The baby will come out!

My advice/encouragement is to be flexible- something will be different than how you picture this birth. That is ok! It doesn’t reflect any failure or lack of care on your part. It’s ok to be scared, and it’s ok to worry, but you will get through it and meet your baby soon.

I found they helped me somewhat, so if you’re interested in a very abbreviated birth story- my water spontaneously broke a couple days after my due date. Labor didn’t start soon after, so I agreed to be induced when I got to the hospital. I wasn’t planning on getting an epidural, but changed my mind a few hours in when I started falling asleep in between contractions while not dilating much at all. After getting it, I was able to get some real sleep- labor moved forward, and when it was go time I had enough energy and only had to do minimal pushing. There was a brief scary moment where the baby had to be suctioned at birth- but the care team was ready and waiting, and it was just that- a moment. It went differently than I expected, but me and the baby got through it fine. I felt like my choices were respected, and that the care team gave me the information I needed to make good decisions.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
It's definitely doable! I had an early labour pretty much the same as BadSamaritan - I had an early epidural and when 9.5cm dilated was laughing hysterically because my leg was totally dead and I couldn't move up the bed. I was briefly concerned prior to pushing, got the baby out in half an hour and spent most of that time impatiently waiting for my next contraction. The pushing itself was fine. I went in with low expectations of things going my way and ended up with a pretty low key experience albeit nearly needing a c-section.

Pain wise, the labour pain I experienced prior to the epidural was sharply uncomfortable period pain (I have endo though) made worse by sitting so I just walked restlessly and shifted my weight between each leg during contractions to get through them. Epidural stopped working on one side for a lot of my later labour and that pain was more unpleasant but I just kind of retreated inwards and breathed through it and it was okay.

All in all, immediately after I'd had the baby I reflected and went yeah, I can do that again.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Everyone's pain experience will be different. It's not like surgical pain imo - I've had surgery on a broken leg, and a laproscopic abdominal surgery, and I found both of those to be much worse / less tolerable pain than labor pain.

Even if you plan on an epidural, maybe also practice breathing exercises and strategies? In case there's a delay or whatever. I found the best way to practice was to do a wall squat and use my pain techniques to see how far I could get - imo the pain after like 45 seconds is pretty similar :monocle: I did find that practice and making a flexible plan helped me feel more confident when the time came.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Someone hundreds of pages ago said "the only way out is through" and that stuck with me when I found myself getting induced at 36 weeks. I wasn't ready yet. When it was time to push that's literally all I thought about.

"You have to do this, there's no going back, so just get it over with as fast as possible" is what I told myself.

A nurse told me before I started pushing it was going to take forever because I abused the epidural button. Nah, I pushed her out in 40 minutes. Just to prove her wrong. Also because I checked in to the hospital Thursday afternoon and it was then 4 AM on Saturday and I was starving, thirsty, and disgusted from needing a shower.

You can do it, and as a consolation prize, our women brains make us forget how stupid painful the whole ordeal was. I have to actively remind myself how I felt and that I do not want to do that again. Because when I see a brand new fresh itty bitty baby, I think hey... it wasn't so bad, I want anot... NO.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I have a 8 month old and really don't remember the details of the hospital stay already. I thought it was a haha joking thing but no, not really. I can tell you what happened but everything is blurry and the emotions are all dulled.

As for my story (I obsessively read these before I delivered) I was induced at 38 weeks for pre-e and right away was put on meds where I couldn't walk around. I was induced overnight (read, no sleep and hourly checks for pre-e stuff) and contractions started up in the morning. I got an early epidural and just sat around for most of the day. Around 9-10pm the doctor came in to see how I felt about a C section and I was like... you're the doctor! But the nurse, bless her, came with a peanut ball and got baby to flip around and she flew out in a half hour or so after that. Pushing was not hard, but a little painful even with the epidural. Very much the mindset of...this is the only way to end this!! I had second degree tears toward my butt and abrasions on my labia. It sucked but was tolerable. Baby came out screaming and had no issues, thank goodness.

What I wasn't prepared for was the rush of emotions after birth. I was exhausted and already sleep deprived going into labor and this baby wouldn't stop screaming and I couldn't get out of bed and nursing HURT. I remember just sobbing and holding my baby as they wheeled me to the postpartum wing. The first 24 hrs were probably the hardest hours of my life. I was prepared for things to be challenging but I wasn't prepared for what it was. The pre-e really complicated everything since I couldn't walk, eat, or drink (was on fluids).

I don't say that to scare you but to just prepare you because I felt like everyone talked about how difficult labor is...and it is, but the postpartum stuff sort of took me by surprise, even though I had read all about how hard it was. I spent a lot of time setting reasonable expectations for the birthing process, but then was SO hard on myself in the newborn period when everything wasn't perfect.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah I was super prepared for birth with reading and meditation and exercise, but postpartum was a whole different ballgame.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My birth story is not typical, but it happens. Felt like labor was coming on Friday, started having contractions Saturday around lunch time. Water “broke” (started to trickle) at midnight, went in to the hospital at 4 am. Progressed nicely up to 6cm then stalled for hours and hours. My contractions were super long and would stack (2 min long contraction wouldn’t quite be done before the next started). Tried every trick in the book but had to start pitocin. Managed on that for about 4 hours without pain meds but when I was having full on 10 minute contractions I got an epidural, the one thing I didn’t want, and it didn’t work anyway. My water had to be broken four times because the sac kept closing off when she would move. By the time I started pushing I had been in active labor for 38 hours and was exhausted like never before in my life. Pushed for an hour and a half and she came out pink and healthy. I completely missed my golden hour because they started stitching up my 2nd degree tear without realizing the epidural hadn’t worked so I was in agony but too exhausted to even think of saying anything until my friend (thank god she was there) spoke up.

The two weeks postpartum were the worst of my life. I hadn’t slept at all during my 40 hour labor or in the hospital, and I couldn’t sleep at all at home. I was traumatized by how the birth went because I felt like I had completely lost control of my body. I was crying nearly constantly for two weeks. Then I went on Zoloft and it fixed me.

Looking back, it’s like my brain erased the trauma I had felt just 8 months ago. It wasn’t the birth I had wanted (all natural), but it sure could have been a hell of a lot worse. I went in with an open mind and I thought I was ready for anything, but I was expecting to have a baby in around 24 hours of when labor started, and as the hours kept passing it felt like it would never end. I also missed the birth date I wanted by a day since I was laboring through the whole thing, and even though it’s trivial I still felt disappointed.

The thing that was hardest was the amount of time it took. I was NOT prepared for that. Pushing really wasn’t bad, you do get rest periods between contractions where the pain nearly completely goes away, and I didn’t feel the tear when it happened, just lots of really intense stretching.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

marchantia posted:

But the nurse, bless her, came with a peanut ball and got baby to flip around and she flew out in a half hour or so after that.

That peanut ball is magic slash evil. I was like 4cm displayed, chilling with my epidural, enjoying some time away from my toddler and out comes the peanut. An hour later I was screaming that I needed to push and that it hurts. I think it made me progress so quickly that the epidural was almost useless. But I did manage to pop the baby out before the kitchen closed for dinner so yay

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I ended up with an epidural for both kids because my body just does not like to dilate and I needed a chance to rest. My water broke around 9pm and since I tested positive for that bacteria, I had to go to the hospital right away to get put on an IV. I was barely dilated. Hours later (after being up since 5am)...only slightly more dilated. After I got an epidural and pitocin, I was able to sleep a little bit with that peanut ball between my legs. I woke up around 9 or 10 in the morning and I kept telling my husband that I think I pooped myself. The epidural was still going, but the hospital does a light one so it was numb down there, but I could still feel some things. The nurse checked, and it was a baby head instead!

My contractions loving sucked. Like I said, I also just don't seem to want to dilate on my own. There's no shame in not "toughing out the pain" if you don't want to. Who gives a poo poo? Modern medicine is loving amazing. Just be aware that if you do need pitocin, or its suggested to you, 100% begin preparing for an epidural. It ramps up the contractions and makes them a lot stronger. At least the hospital I did my births at, you have to be on a saline drip for an hour before they can even start an epidural. That'll be the longest hour of your life if you make the decision that you really need one now, but you have to wait.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

marchantia posted:

I have a 8 month old and really don't remember the details of the hospital stay already. I thought it was a haha joking thing but no, not really. I can tell you what happened but everything is blurry and the emotions are all dulled.

As for my story (I obsessively read these before I delivered) I was induced at 38 weeks for pre-e and right away was put on meds where I couldn't walk around. I was induced overnight (read, no sleep and hourly checks for pre-e stuff) and contractions started up in the morning. I got an early epidural and just sat around for most of the day. Around 9-10pm the doctor came in to see how I felt about a C section and I was like... you're the doctor! But the nurse, bless her, came with a peanut ball and got baby to flip around and she flew out in a half hour or so after that. Pushing was not hard, but a little painful even with the epidural. Very much the mindset of...this is the only way to end this!! I had second degree tears toward my butt and abrasions on my labia. It sucked but was tolerable. Baby came out screaming and had no issues, thank goodness.

What I wasn't prepared for was the rush of emotions after birth. I was exhausted and already sleep deprived going into labor and this baby wouldn't stop screaming and I couldn't get out of bed and nursing HURT. I remember just sobbing and holding my baby as they wheeled me to the postpartum wing. The first 24 hrs were probably the hardest hours of my life. I was prepared for things to be challenging but I wasn't prepared for what it was. The pre-e really complicated everything since I couldn't walk, eat, or drink (was on fluids).

I don't say that to scare you but to just prepare you because I felt like everyone talked about how difficult labor is...and it is, but the postpartum stuff sort of took me by surprise, even though I had read all about how hard it was. I spent a lot of time setting reasonable expectations for the birthing process, but then was SO hard on myself in the newborn period when everything wasn't perfect.

Yeah, that magnesium they give for pre-e sucks. I was so tired of being stuck in bed. When they finally let me up 24 hours after being off of it, they told me "now take it slow, don't rush" I got up as fast as I could toward the bathroom, yelled at husband to get my shower stuff, and scrubbed myself clean for 2 hours straight.

It scared and amazed the nurses. I really, really needed that shower. I had worked all day Thursday in a very hot, sweaty condition and was NOT expecting to end up leaving the growth scan to get checked out for my blood pressure and not be able to come home. That Saturday morning shower was heaven.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Alterian posted:

There's no shame in not "toughing out the pain" if you don't want to. Who gives a poo poo? Modern medicine is loving amazing. Just be aware that if you do need pitocin, or its suggested to you, 100% begin preparing for an epidural. It ramps up the contractions and makes them a lot stronger.

Agree 100% with this. I tried to power through the pitocin without pain meds or an epidural (just to see what birth really feels like) and that’s a decision I regret. If I have a second kid and need pitocin again I’m absolutely getting the epidural first, and hopefully it will actually work...

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

oh god oh god the epidural had BETTER work I can't even let myself think about what if it doesn't work. what do you even do. I feel like I might panic and lose my head if the epidural doesn't work.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

boquiabierta posted:

oh god oh god the epidural had BETTER work I can't even let myself think about what if it doesn't work. what do you even do. I feel like I might panic and lose my head if the epidural doesn't work.

You’ll get through. I had no pain relief until the local anaesthetic to do the episiotomy when bub’s head got stuck.

I went through a hospital birth centre that advocated for low intervention and did okay, even with complications that meant the vacuum failed and I needed forceps and episiotomy. Honestly by that point I was just happy to get to the end. I was in the shower most of my active labour so hot water was what got me through the contractions and pushing.

They gave me a mask with nitrous oxide to help with the pain while they massaged me to get the placenta out, but I was occupied enough with a gorgeous little baby that I didn’t even care that much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My epidurals didn't work, I got stabbed in the spine a few times but the gap was too narrow for the needle.
Spoiler: Day 2 hurts anyway lol

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
When my epidural failed and they told me it was too late to do any other pain intervention, I went “oooh my goooood” and carried on. It wasn’t panic that I felt, it was just exhaustion at that point. When it’s finally time to push you really get in the zone and it’s not so much painful as it is really, really intense pressure and stretching.

Don’t worry about an epidural not working, it’s out of your control. Practice your normal breathing and relaxation skills so you’re good at them, and deal with changes in your birth plan as they happen.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Don’t worry about an epidural not working, it’s out of your control. Practice your normal breathing and relaxation skills so you’re good at them, and deal with changes in your birth plan as they happen.

Yeah this. If you tell yourself you couldn't possibly handle it if the epidural fails, then you're setting yourself up for a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hopefully you get your epidural and it works perfectly, but know that you CAN take it if it fails, and practice techniques to help you through it.

I've had two unmedicated births - one was too fast for an epidural whether I wanted it or not. You can get through it if you need to. It may not be ideal, but you can. It's not like candy canes and lollipops but it's definitely not worse than surgery or any number of things. It's a lot of goddamn work, that's for sure, but not insurmountable (excepting medical issues that can happen of course).

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Looking for a recommendation for a maternity robe for post delivery. Thanks!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Welllll things took an unexpected turn today. Yesterday I started noticing a decrease in fetal movement. It seemed significant but then towards the end of the day I got some nice big kicks and felt reassured.

Today same thing. And after I drank a gigantic thing of orange juice and got almost no response from Sprog, I decided to go to the ED for reassurance. I figured they’d tell me everything was fine and send me home. Having anxiety is insurance against something actually being wrong, right? I’m 37 weeks on the dot.

Guess who’s getting induced right now?

Baby’s heart rate and amniotic fluid levels were good but they agreed that there isn’t enough movement. BPP 6/10.

Starting with Cervidil and my god I hope it works I do NOT want Pitocin.

It’s been about four hours since the Cervidil (also I do not tolerate cervical stimulation at all, placing that little string inside my cervix was super painful and makes me really scared to dilate) and I don’t feel anything yet. They’re letting me rest overnight, no monitoring anymore, and will reassess and pick back up in the morning.

We haven’t bought even close to everything we need at home 😫😫😫

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I hope everything goes well! Pitocin was also the ONE thing I didn’t want but ended up getting. Even though it sucked, it was worth going through it for my baby. You very well may not end up needing pit anyway! Also cervical checks and stuff get less painful the more you dilate, I thought. My check at 3cm was awful but by the time I was up to 6 I could barely notice their fingers all up in there.

Good on you for listening to your instincts. Don’t even worry about stuff. All you really need at first is diapers, a few clothes, and a place to set the baby down to sleep, which could even be in a box on the floor. My baby is eight months old and we still don’t use the nursery for anything besides play time.

Sending good vibes your way! Your baby is going to be here soon, so exciting!!!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Echoing the above! I was induced at 36+2 for a partial membrane rupture and we weren’t ready at all either. Amazon Prime was a necessity the first few days but echoing the above that all you really need immediately is diapers, a few footed/long sleeves onesies, and a safe place for baby to sleep. Oh and a car seat. They won’t let you leave the hospital without one. We’re at week 5 now and even trying to catch up to being prepared, with a toddler at home, and with extra medical attention requires because he was still a premie, we managed. I think it was maybe sometime in week 2 when we really had everything we need. But even the first time around when I thought I was prepared, there’s always a few things unexpected that can be acquired as they come up.

Anecdotally, I was on pitocin for 18h to get this kiddo out. I went to the max dosage 2x and still only dilated to 3cm. Everyone was sure I’d end up needing a c-section. The contractions were not bad, they didn’t start to hurt at all until about hour 16 by which time I was just exhausted and opted for the epidural simply so I could try to sleep. And even then they were only at the level of “well these are real, we better go to the hospital” that I had with my first kid. Just after the epidural they were finally able to break the rest of the water bag/membrane and within about 90 minutes it was time to push. So if you’re worried about the pain level with pit, it’s not always that bad.

Babies come however they come. Still I hope you have a smooth and safe delivery, good luck!

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 6, 2020

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Our daughter is now a month old and holy gently caress is gas the bane of her/our existence. Gas drops seem to help a little bit but is there anything else we can do? She is drinking 90% breast milk with the occasional formula supplement when my wife can’t pump.

Her eating habits can’t be helping either as shes an extremely aggressive eater who starts chewing her bib as soon as it’s near and does her best to chug the entire bottle within 5 minutes while grunting like a maniac the entire time. I’m trying to pace her but if she’s especially hungry she just starts wailing when I pull the bottle away. During feedings she’ll also occasionally arch her back and shake her head side to side which I assume is reflux.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Yay, it's time for the birth story of an American expat living in Barcelona giving birth in a public Spanish hospital!!

I went to the hospital on Sunday afternoon because I was concerned that I was feeling less fetal movement. I have anxiety and my husband told me it was probably fine as long as I was feeling SOME movement and I shouldn't worry about it. But it had started on Saturday and continued through Sunday, and it really was markedly less movement than even just the day before, and finally I just wanted the reassurance that everything was okay. So I went to the maternity ED fully expecting to be told everything was fine and to go home. Instead the midwife agreed with me that his movements were diminished and gave him a BPP score of 6/10 and recommended induction. They said since he was full term (37 weeks) there was no advantage to keeping him inside any longer, that if he were only 33 weeks we would watch and wait because he should cook a little longer, but since he was 37 weeks it would be better to just have him on the outside. His heart rate and fluid levels were fine and he was moving a little bit, so it wasn't urgent and they said I could choose not to induce and come back and check again the next day, but my husband and I decided I would be far too anxious and there wasn't any point in waiting. Time to have a baby, three weeks early! And here I've been predicting a February birth and we don't even have everything we need at home yet. Our poor doorman's probably housing an apartment filled with our boxes right now.

We started induction Sunday night at 11 pm with Cervidil, a cervical ripening agent. Went to sleep. In the morning my cervix was completely unchanged, so the Cervidil failed. They wanted to start Pitocin. I did NOT want to start Pitocin because it's notorious for making contractions more painful and my understanding was also that it was less likely to work if the cervix hadn't started to dilate yet, so I figured I'd just be heading down the road to a c-section. They convinced me to start the Pit and for a little while I felt like everything I didn't want to happen was happening and most importantly I was losing control of the situation. I asked about trying another cervical ripening agent like misoprostol and was told they couldn't do that. I did want to wait the full 12 hours for the Cervidil (this was around 8 am and we had been told it could take 10-12 hours to start working) so we waited until 11 am. No change.

Holy hell cervical checks are painful.

Started Pit at 11. Started having contractions probably within an hour. From here on out all times are mostly guesses because time stops existing in this weird world of labor. The contractions were like period cramps at first which I understood meant they were very mild but I still wanted to kill everyone who felt the need to remind me how mild they were and that they would get stronger. I've never had a great pain tolerance. The contractions got stronger. I coped for a while with nitrous oxide, which I had been super excited to use for labor and really had high hopes for (I've used it recreationally and had a blast, and I really thought it would be a great alternative to epidural). The nitrous did NOTHING but get me high; I felt like the pain didn't diminish at all and I remember this time period of trying to distract myself with TV but curling into a ball and writhing in pain with every contraction while desperately huffing the nitrous hoping this time it would help. My doula later told me I was having contractions every two minutes that were lasting one minute. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of with the Pit. I was dilating but slowly.

Around 3 cm (maybe 4 pm?) I couldn't take it and asked for the epidural, which honestly I should have done sooner. I think my birth plan next time will just be "epidural as soon as possible". The epidural was magical. I started dilating really fast, maybe because I was more relaxed. Went to 7 cm within a few hours. My doula had to go out for a little while and told us to call her if anything, figuring it would be another 4-5 hours.

Maybe an hour later I started having the most painful urge to poop. I KNOW this is the CLASSIC sign of needing to push but I thought absolutely no way I'm fully dilated yet, it just has not been enough time, and the midwife agreed that it was probably just pressure from the baby's head but not time to push yet. I remember this period as being totally out of my mind, which I guess is transition! I was so convinced I just needed to poop I made my husband bring me a bedpan and I tried SO hard to push and was in SO much pain it was like before the epidural again. My husband was like "uh are you sure you should be doing this" but let me go on for about 15 minutes pushing hard before I guess I gave up and the midwife was persuaded to check me again. Surprise, I was fully dilated and the baby was super low. I tried to ask what station but couldn't figure out how to say it in Spanish. Someone called my doula and told her to get back now. It had only been about an hour since she left and I was 7 cm.

I pushed TWICE, not counting the pushing I had done trying so hard to poop. Guess he got to like +5 station with no one being any the wiser. My doula said the midwife asked her if she was sure it was really only my first birth. Baby was born at 7:13 pm. His name is Asher Isaac and he was 6 lb 11 oz, 18.5 inches long. I really wanted a girl but I'm pretty in love with him.

Got a second degree lac and a periurethral lac and maybe a sulcus tear too, I'm not too sure. I didn't feel them stitching me up at all. Skin-to-skin was lovely though I think I was in a little bit of shock the whole time. Initiated breastfeeding which went okay; his latch is still a little narrow but we're working on it. The placenta came out without me feeling it and jesus is that a cool organ. I considered keeping it but we live in the city and there's no place we could do a nice burial ritual and I am definitely not eating it. Took a picture though.

The hospital stay has been weird. I worked for a few years as a labor and delivery and postpartum nurse in the States and the nursing care and hospital protocols could not be more different here. They don't appear to care at all what meds I take and if I'm taking my own home meds here without telling them, but they are STRICTLY limiting my access to perineal ice packs like that poo poo is Dilaudid because they are VERY concerned about "ice burns". We gave out ice packs freely at my hospital and I have never heard of anyone getting frostbite from them. Assessments and vitals are rare occurrences and barely anyone introduces themselves and there is definitely no bedside report being done, or even an acknowledgement of shift change. Still, can't argue with Spanish healthcare outcomes compared to U.S. even if the healthcare experience is SUPER WEIRD and at times unpleasant coming from the U.S. system.

Here's Asher. He's pretty delicious and we like him a lot.

Take the urge to poop seriously.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
So many congratulations!! Well done and enjoy your little cutie pie.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Congratulations!!! Such a cutie!

I’m glad everything went well despite not going to plan, and yeah- epidurals are pretty great.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Awwww congrats!!!!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Congratulations! He’s super cute.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Congratulations! And love the name, but I’m biased since my first son is also an Asher ❤️

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I'm so glad everything went well! I had been thinking about you and watching for posts so I'm glad you had time to come update the internet in between all the madness that is having a newborn. Enjoy your fresh baby!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Yay I’ve been wondering how it went! Congrats, he is perfect!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Had my anomaly scan today, at 19 weeks. Bub is healthy and happy looking, looks like it’s a girl, so a little sister to our daughter.

The sonographer said my placenta was quite low so did an internal scan too, and it’s covering the cervix.

I see my GP in about a week for a debrief and I know worrying won’t do anything in the meantime, yet here we are.

I think they do another scan in the third trimester to see if there’s any movement upwards?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

A lot of times the placenta will be pretty low or occlude the cervix at that scan- I believe something like 80-90% of them move upward in time. You’ll probably get a lot of ultrasounds towards the end of your pregnancy and that is one of the things they check for. Mine was well out of the way by...37(?) weeks.

If it doesn’t move, it will require a c-section (the placenta is way too full of blood vessels to have something go through it safely), but most resolve spontaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Aw crap I have gestational diabetes. :( Any goons who had it before with any advice?