Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I would love if they cast the old Mountain as Areo Hotah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sarkozymandias posted:

If I'm right about Ros replacing Daario I want someone to buy me an Avatar: The Vast Chairbender. I feel good about this prediction.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they're casting Daario. As hinted by her becoming Varys' agent, Ros will replace Belwas and possibly Barry, though. I can't wait to see her gently caress the Meerenese guy to death and then poo poo on his corpse, expositing all the while.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they're casting Daario. As hinted by her becoming Varys' agent, Ros will replace Belwas and possibly Barry, though. I can't wait to see her gently caress the Meerenese guy to death and then poo poo on his corpse, expositing all the while.

This is simultaneously the worst and best news.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If Ros doesn't become the Myrish Swamp, I'll eat GRRM's hat.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Junkenstein posted:

If Ros doesn't become the Myrish Swamp, I'll eat GRRM's hat.

But she has a Northern Hot Spring. You gotta be Myrish to have a Myrish Swamp.

And you can't cut Dorne. The most important character in the books, .:;~~*~^*DARKSTAR~~*.,;~:~~~ is in Dorne.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Ros's grandmother was Myrish.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
Ros is a secret Targ. Have we been there yet?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yes.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Rape Jake. posted:

Ros is a secret Targ. Have we been there yet?

Pretty sure everyone is a secret Targ.

Also:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And you can't cut Dorne. The most important character in the books, .:;~~*~^*DARKSTAR~~*.,;~:~~~ is in Dorne.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2012

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Everyone is a (not-so-)secret Tard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Contra Calculus posted:

Pretty sure everyone is a secret Targ.
Except Dany, who is secretly not a Targ.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Except Dany, who is secretly not a Targ.

Mind.

BLOWN.

:wth:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Ros's grandmother was Myrish.

So Ros' Swamp is a quarter Myrish.

Is it like specialty dog breeding and the mixing of Northern Hot Spring and Myrish Swamp produce a Swamp Spring, like a "Cockapoo" or "Puggle", or do you just get a general Mutt/Bog?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I'm trying to figure something out. Apparently no one at the present time in the books holds the title Sword of the Morning. What happened to the actual sword?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Ambiguatron posted:

I'm trying to figure something out. Apparently no one at the present time in the books holds the title Sword of the Morning. What happened to the actual sword?

Per the wiki: "Last known user of the sword is Arthur Dayne, who died in Tower of Joy. After the fight, Eddard Stark rode to Starfall to deliver Arthur's sword Dawn to Arthur's sister Ashara Dayne."

Probably still at Starfall, but who knows.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It probably went back to the Daynes. Maybe Dorkstar has it, isn't he another Dayne? I don't recall if it was a real title or just Arthur's nickname, anyway, so it might not even be something to pass along.

Are you thinking of it like maybe his sword is Lightbringer?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It probably went back to the Daynes. Maybe Dorkstar has it, isn't he another Dayne? I don't recall if it was a real title or just Arthur's nickname, anyway, so it might not even be something to pass along.

Are you thinking of it like maybe his sword is Lightbringer?

A Lightbringer, not the Lightbringer. I'm operating under the assumption now that prophecies of that nature are as garbled and unrelated to actual events as stories and songs are to the events that inspired them. The Azor Ahai story and prophecy is about people discovering that swords made out of Valyrian steel can kill the Others. The idea of one person wielding one sword and turning back a whole army is absurd.

Dawn isn't Valyrian but it probably works anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Sword of the Morning is an honorary title given to a deserving Dayne of Starfall if there is one. Darkstar isn't even from the right Dayne house to get it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Isn't he only mentioned for like 2 pages in the whole series? Why are fans so obsessed with him? Until joining this thread and being exposed to wider fandom I wouldn't even have remembered he existed.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Captain Mediocre posted:

Isn't he only mentioned for like 2 pages in the whole series? Why are fans so obsessed with him? Until joining this thread and being exposed to wider fandom I wouldn't even have remembered he existed.

Because Mr. GRRM shamelessly tried to recreate the badassery of the viper but ended up with a total goon.

vvv suck it, I was right all along

The Mutato fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 11, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^Arthur "Sword of the Morning" Dayne.

Not the Bad Thread's beloved ~~~~~DARKSTAR~~~~~~

Captain Mediocre posted:

It's one of those "who can beat who" things.

It's generally regarded that the God Tier of swordsmen is SotM Dayne, Barristan, Eddard*, Jaime, and some others.

(*theorized, but him and Howland Reed threw down Dayne and two other kingsguard, and regular grunt troops, and generally just mowed people down without much effort all through Bob's Rebellion)

Ned mentions that Dayne and Barristan were his idols as swordsmen. So it's assumed even with Ned/Howland in the god tier, it took both to bring down Dayne.

So, using nerd logic, Dayne must have been the best ever.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ambiguatron posted:

A Lightbringer, not the Lightbringer. I'm operating under the assumption now that prophecies of that nature are as garbled and unrelated to actual events as stories and songs are to the events that inspired them.

I guess we just have to wait for Jon to plow his wolf-pommelled sword through an Other's head to see what happens.

Oh, wait. :v:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Brienne is probs up there too. And don't forget old Sandie Clegane. He kills dudes while a) on fire, b) outnumbered and horribly drunk, and c) socially retarded

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There's also his big bro Greg, the Viper, and Robert before he became a drunken fatass.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Bobby was never a swordsman. He favoured the hammer, just like his son.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
And Oberyn was into long-hafted thrusting implements. Also, he fought with spears.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I always took the "but for Howland Reed" thing to mean that Howie used poison or some kind of dirty trick.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ambiguatron posted:

I always took the "but for Howland Reed" thing to mean that Howie used poison or some kind of dirty trick.

Frog spear in the penis. The dirtiest trick.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Howland Reed used the secret crannogman's assassin art, hokuto shinken. The Sword of the Morning was already dead when he took up arms against them.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

The characters of Daario, Wyman Manderly, and Yezzan zo Qaggaz will be merged.

Literally, on screen, like a King Slime.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Howland Reed used the secret crannogman's assassin art, hokuto shinken. The Sword of the Morning was already dead when he took up arms against them.

Howland Reed crapped out a shadow baby to kill Dayne while he was fighting Ned.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of Howland, is he ever actually going to loving show up to do anything?

Like I guess he could tell Zombie-Jon who his real parents are, but what else? Maybe the crannogmen are secretly Children of the Forests and like no one figured this out because every character in this series is either stupid or goony as hell (or some combination of both.)

Anders
Nov 8, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Captain Mediocre posted:

You know nothing, captain mediocre.

(Are you talking bout Arthur, Sword of the Morning Dayne, or Dorkstar 'dRizZt' Dayne?)

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Darkstar is what happens when GRRM reads the entirety of the "Badass" page on tvtropes and tries way too hard to make a character based off everything he read there.

Which is why Darkstar is the most badass person in the world and the greatest dude ever for cutting off a helpless six-year-old's ear.

edit: Scratch that, GRRM doesn't read or write.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 10, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sarkozymandias posted:

The characters of Daario, Wyman Manderly, and Yezzan zo Qaggaz will be merged.

Literally, on screen, like a King Slime.
Ah, the true Gurm insert.

Contra Calculus posted:

Speaking of Howland, is he ever actually going to loving show up to do anything?

Like I guess he could tell Zombie-Jon who his real parents are, but what else? Maybe the crannogmen are secretly Children of the Forests and like no one figured this out because every character in this series is either stupid or goony as hell (or some combination of both.)
No, he probably will not. And hopefully even if Zombie-Jon finds out his parents were really Dorkstar and Ros, it won't actually make a difference to the plot.

Contra Calculus posted:

Which is why Darkstar the most badass person in the world and the greatest dude ever for cutting off a helpless six-year-old's ear.
Has anyone else cut off a little girl's ear? I think not.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The only man capable of portraying Darkstar's ability to remove ears?

Yes, I think you know.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Urdnot Fire posted:

Has anyone else cut off a little girl's ear? I think not.

VVVV

Your move, Urdnot. Your move.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I was of course referring to in-universe. Though it's cool that we all agree who will be portraying Darkstar. I wonder how they'll fit in a fight between him and the Hound.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Wait a minute. A black guy should not ever have to suffer the pain of being on a lovely Gurm-show. They've already had to go through the pain of slavery and still have to go through discrimination based on the color of their skin.

I think it's time we had Pauly Shore renew his lovely career as Dorkstar. It'll be the single worst casting in the world and it will be magnificently awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Pauly Shore? No, Darkstar is beneath him.

Daario, however, is a good fit. Hey, bu-uuuuddy~