Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thisthread.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXCWo_Z9dM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Endorph posted:

Lines can mean more than their most literal interpretation. Edgar's probably being a bit of a creeper, but he's also probably hoping that he doesn't have to watch a ten-year-old girl die during all of this.

I have played through FF6 dozens of times and every single time I have interpreted that scene as him being concerned about a child joining in on such a dangerous journey with the burden of the preservation of the entire world on their shoulders. It left me believing that Edgar didn't feel that a child should ever have such a burden. I never once even remotely considered that there was anything sexual implied.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What with Edgar saying that Relm wasn't 'even a lady yet', and just minutes ago he was talking about exchanging 'pleasantries' with one of the serving ladies back at the king's castle (something that Sabin immediately finds suspicious) always made that scene off for me.

Plus Edgar's never shown any concern for kids in any other part of the city, so it would be an odd moment of sudden characterization.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ApplesandOranges posted:

What with Edgar saying that Relm wasn't 'even a lady yet', and just minutes ago he was talking about exchanging 'pleasantries' with one of the serving ladies back at the king's castle (something that Sabin immediately finds suspicious) always made that scene off for me.

Plus Edgar's never shown any concern for kids in any other part of the city, so it would be an odd moment of sudden characterization.

To be fair, none of those other kids tried to join the party.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I always took it as an aspect of concern from Edgar as well as a sort of gob-smacked reaction to Relm being...well, Relm. He's like "you're how old? And you're running around killing monsters and poo poo? Alright, whatevs I guess. Sheeeit."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There is also that girl in Figaro Castle who says Edgar told her he'd marry her when she gets older. Of course, he also hit on the older women there.

Not really sure how creepy they intended Edgar to be, though he's definitely supposed to be goofy with women. Probably not very since the game never really gets dark in terms of the playable characters' personalities, plus it wouldn't surprise me for mid-90's game designers to have poor taste at times.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Who the gently caress actually cares?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Who the gently caress actually cares?

People who think anything that comes out of Japan has to be inherently misogynistic or creepy.
If it's not staringyou in the face you just have to "properly look for it."

I don't get it either. Like the talk earlier about Zidane who is just a harmless flirt. If it was a woman who grabbed a guy's rear end I don't think anyone would be pointing their finger. (although they might simply abandon the creep argument for the sexist argument)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They should just have used the original translated line.

- You've grown up entirely too fast! Lighten up, okay!?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Renoistic posted:

They should just have used the original translated line.

- You've grown up entirely too fast! Lighten up, okay!?

This is the only version I have played. Well, that and Awful Fantasy but that doesn't count in this context.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

NikkolasKing posted:

People who think anything that comes out of Japan has to be inherently misogynistic or creepy.
If it's not staringyou in the face you just have to "properly look for it."

I don't get it either. Like the talk earlier about Zidane who is just a harmless flirt. If it was a woman who grabbed a guy's rear end I don't think anyone would be pointing their finger. (although they might simply abandon the creep argument for the sexist argument)

No, that would still be sexual harassment, which is hosed up. But keep defending a lovely character in a lovely ff. That is what keeps this thread going.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
That guy calling for another real tactics game based in Ivalice (that isn't on gameboy) is right. What a shame that we never got any more tactical games with a big budget.

e: So, did anyone see this? http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/08/final-fantasy-is-still-dead/

It's :words: and a lot of them which basically wind up with this guy accusing the -2 games of being the "downfall" of the series. Like, not their gameplay, but just their existence which he sees purely as revenue generators and fanservice.

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 8, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Failboattootoot posted:

No, that would still be sexual harassment, which is hosed up. But keep defending a lovely character in a lovely ff. That is what keeps this thread going.

If FF6 is lovely then there are no good games in the series and Square-Enix's staff should commit mass suicide to atone for their shame.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

pretend to care posted:

That guy calling for another real tactics game based in Ivalice (that isn't on gameboy) is right. What a shame that we never got any more tactical games with a big budget.

e: So, did anyone see this? http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/08/final-fantasy-is-still-dead/

It's :words: and a lot of them which basically wind up with this guy accusing the -2 games of being the "downfall" of the series. Like, not their gameplay, but just their existence which he sees purely as revenue generators and fanservice.

Some European guys put up a video of them spinkicking a copy of FFXIII-2 into pieces, while wearing shirts that had Toriyama's face covered by a big ole' NO sign.

I love that the lack of Uematsu in the series now has helped kill it -- when Hamauzu is at times doing an even better job than he did, and Uematsu is busy making pretty subpar soundtracks.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 8, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

If FF6 is lovely then there are no good games in the series and Square-Enix's staff should commit mass suicide to atone for their shame.

I think he might have meant IX? I mentioned Zidane in my post and that's the one he quoted.

pretend to care posted:

I do think all the sequels, including the FFVII Compilation, has kinda damaged the old mystique. Back in the day a new Final Fantasy being announced meant a new world and a new story and all that. It was something to be hotly anticipated.

Now when a new FF is announced people are kinda just like "oh, what are they remaking now or making a sequel to now or is it a loving crossover."

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I do think all the sequels, including the FFVII Compilation, has kinda damaged the old mystique. Back in the day a new Final Fantasy being announced meant a new world and a new story and all that. It was something to be hotly anticipated.

Now when a new FF is announced people are kinda just like "oh, what are they remaking now or making a sequel to now or is it a loving crossover."

I do agree with this, to some extent.

I think to some extent they're also trying to chase a demographic as it ages. I'm 30 now, I was like 9 or 10 when I first started playing this series. It seems they are attempting to age with me as my taste presumably changes, but I know I'm not alone in enjoying the old charm of some of the sillier aspects of the games. BTW, this silly and/or nonsensical stuff is obviously still around, but it's just presented in a way in which it seems like they don't understand that everyone's in on the joke. Playing XIII is sort of like my nephew showing me his toys and explaining to me why the poo poo is so cool. Look you little bastard, I know toys are cool, I was 8 once too. Let's rescue naked barbie, I don't need 23,000 words of backstory trying to explain where her clothes went.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

I think he might have meant IX? I mentioned Zidane in my post and that's the one he quoted.

The statement works pretty well for 9, too.

pretend to care posted:

I do agree with this, to some extent.

I think to some extent they're also trying to chase a demographic as it ages. I'm 30 now, I was like 9 or 10 when I first started playing this series. It seems they are attempting to age with me as my taste presumably changes, but I know I'm not alone in enjoying the old charm of some of the sillier aspects of the games. BTW, this silly and/or nonsensical stuff is obviously still around, but it's just presented in a way in which it seems like they don't understand that everyone's in on the joke. Playing XIII is sort of like my nephew showing me his toys and explaining to me why the poo poo is so cool. Look you little bastard, I know toys are cool, I was 8 once too. Let's rescue naked barbie, I don't need 23,000 words of backstory trying to explain where her clothes went.

I've always felt like they were more interested in, first and foremost, the Japanese teen demo. Their attempts to engage the aging Western demographic seem more like a kid's idea of what grown-ups like than anything else.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Failboattootoot posted:

But keep defending a lovely character in a lovely ff. That is what keeps this thread going.

You should know by now, debating the "worst fantasy" is what keeps this thread going. It will never die...as long as there is darkness in the hearts of men! Let it continue with unbridled hate discussion!:unsmigghh:

At least, until more info about XV, or Fabulous Exploding Crystals: Lightning's Revenge 3, comes out.

Barudak posted:

whatever the hell the Fabula Antiqua Crystalis was.

All the previous good FF games.

As for the other crystal stuff in XIII outside of the [article/apostrophe]Cie stuff, they use summon crystals that burst out of their brand marks, don't they? Then there's the crystarium. Then the giant crystal Cocoon formed from the two Australian lesbians.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 8, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

At least, until more info about XV, or Fabulous Exploding Crystals: Lightning's Revenge 3, comes out.

4 years of latin means every time I see it all I can see is The New Tale of the Crystals and get confused because I don't remember a single goddamn crystal in the game that wasn't a Cie'th or whatever the hell the Fabula Antiqua Crystalis was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was always confused about how Orphan says "the crystals light our path" during battle. What friggin' crystals. The crystal theme is so understated and unimportant compared to the crystals in the classic games.

It's kinda like how IX has crystals too but they only come up in the last 15% of the game. I mean, it makes sense, each planet having their own crystal and stuff, but it's just never really addressed at all. In fact, the way Garland explains the workings of planets makes FFIX planets sound more like they have something akin to The Lifestream instead of a big shiny crystal.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

As for the other crystal stuff in XIII outside of the [article/apostrophe]Cie stuff, they use summon crystals that burst out of their brand marks, don't they? Then there's the crystarium. Then the giant crystal Cocoon formed from the two Australian lesbians.
VVV

And the 2nd area in the game which is a cave made of crystals. poo poo's packed with crystals, guys.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It would have made much more sense had Versus and Agito stayed in the Fabula Nova Crystallis grouping, as... you know... they actually feature crystals as major plot drivers. I guess XIII had a weird fascination with turning people to crystal, and Anima was so sort of weird crystal god, but it was all kind of incidental.

EDIT: Google tells me that they are still technically FNC titles, so there we go. Crystal tales all over.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 8, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was always confused about how Orphan says "the crystals light our path" during battle. What friggin' crystals. The crystal theme is so understated and unimportant compared to the crystals in the classic games.

It's kinda like how IX has crystals too but they only come up in the last 15% of the game. I mean, it makes sense, each planet having their own crystal and stuff, but it's just never really addressed at all. In fact, the way Garland explains the workings of planets makes FFIX planets sound more like they have something akin to The Lifestream instead of a big shiny crystal.

That was one of the things that actually bugged the hell out of me about IX. The back cover of the case and all the advertising for the game kept hyping up, "Hey, the Crystals are back! We're going old school for this one, guys!" :haw:

... And then there's no loving crystals involved in pretty much anything until right around the very end of the game. :geno:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

W.T. Fits posted:

That was one of the things that actually bugged the hell out of me about IX. The back cover of the case and all the advertising for the game kept hyping up, "Hey, the Crystals are back! We're going old school for this one, guys!" :haw:

... And then there's no loving crystals involved in pretty much anything until right around the very end of the game. :geno:

WEll that's not true. there's also all the crystals the royal families of the Mist Continent had. The Ones Queen Brahne needed to pull Eidolons out of Garnet? The Same ones they used to summon Alexander.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

W.T. Fits posted:

Much of what Brahne did, was by using extracted magical gemstone WMDs, and trying to retrive the various other gemstones from the other kingdoms, IIRC.

Crystals do become more important later, yes, but they are featured early on.

[f/e]: Beaten.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Much of what Brahne did, was by using extracted magical gemstone WMDs, and trying to retrive the various other gemstones from the other kingdoms, IIRC.

Wait, the gems were supposed to fit together to make some sort of super-gem? Did this ever come up in the plot?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

WEll that's not true. there's also all the crystals the royal families of the Mist Continent had. The Ones Queen Brahne needed to pull Eidolons out of Garnet? The Same ones they used to summon Alexander.

I remember the game referring to those as "jewels" or "gemstones", not "crystals". The only actual "crystal" I remember was the one at the very end that Kuja ended up blowing up.

Then again, I only ever played through the game once, so I might be wrong, memory being the fickle thing it is.

Schwartzcough posted:

Wait, the gems were supposed to fit together to make some sort of super-gem? Did this ever come up in the plot?

From what little poking around I just did on the FF Wiki, apparently they combined to form a summoning gem for Alexander.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

And the 2nd area in the game which is a cave made of crystals. poo poo's packed with crystals, guys.

It came across as though they were byproducts of a magic process not a thing to be worthy of a story in their own right. If the title was Fabula Nova Deum then it would fit what the game's focus and driving actions are. Actually, do the crystals ever do or mean anything in their own right? I'm sure it was tucked away in the datalog just like Mywnn and the whole, actually pretty neat, backstory of the whole drat universe.

W.T. Fits posted:

The logo of the game is a giant crystal but that titular giant doesn't even get discussed until the end game plot dump. Its the FF title logo that bugs the most despite FF1's "who is that guy, Garland?" and FFIII's "No seriously, who the hell is that supposed to be?" Even FFVIII at least told you up front it was going to be a mess and a love story.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 8, 2013

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I've always felt like they were more interested in, first and foremost, the Japanese teen demo. Their attempts to engage the aging Western demographic seem more like a kid's idea of what grown-ups like than anything else.

Yeah, you said it better than I did in far less words.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
(from the FF wiki)

Crystals in FFIX:

"In Final Fantasy IX Crystals are the source of all life; the Crystals residing at the center of planets circulate life, from which all life is born, and to which the souls return upon death, and as the memories of living beings accumulate inside the Crystals, the planets grow. Eidolons in Gaia are guardian spirits created by the Crystal in order to protect it.

The people of Terra had mastered the art of fusing their Crystal with others, allowing them to assimilate other worlds and keep their race thriving even when their current Crystal weakened. As revealed in the Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania[1], once a Crystal has aged, it returns to the cosmos and becomes the source of a new Crystal.

Crystals also appear in the game as a means of summoning Eidolons. The four "jewels" sought by Queen Brahne of Alexandria were in fact fragments of a Crystal broken apart 500 years prior to the game. If all four jewels would come together in Alexandria, Alexander would be summoned. This echoes Final Fantasy IV, as Alexander heavily resembles the Giant of Babil, which was also summoned by a gathering of Crystals. There's also the fact that the main pillar of Alexandria, which you see at the very beginning of the game, is a giant crystal.

Also, Crystals can be equipped as Add-ons, which grant the user special abilities, particularly for Dagger and Eiko, who can learn Summon Magic from them. Eiko can also alter her Summon Magic according to the gemstone she has equipped."

Crystals in FFXIII:

"Crystals are central to the plot of Final Fantasy XIII, interacting in the world in the form of fal'Cie, god-like machines powered by the crystals. Their power seems limitless as they helped create Cocoon, which is essentially another moon of the world of Gran Pulse. Fal'Cie are capable of creating l'Cie by planting a crystal shard, known as an Eidolith, somewhere inside the human body; the l'Cie are, to a degree, their avatars in the world.

L'Cie can use magic and summon Eidolons through the use of their Eidoliths. Furthermore, if the l'Cie fail in the task they are given, the power of the crystals will turn them into a monstrous crystallized Cie'th. If they manage to complete their Focus, l'Cie are rewarded with eternity by becoming lifeless crystals. Because both fates are considered to be a fate akin to (or even worse than) death, Cocoon citizens live in fear of the l'Cie and cast out those who become as such.

Humans, like the fal'Cie, also possess crystal power, though in a different manner. Like in many other games in the series, crystal seems to be the Final Fantasy XIII's universe's life substance. The crystals power the fal'Cie like a computer's processor, giving them amazing magical powers and making them immortal, incapable of aging, yet the humans possess an even greater power; when a human dies, their "soul" turns into crystal energy and passes through the Door of Souls "to the other side", something akin to a concept of heaven. The fal'Cie envy this trait as they, too, would like to pass through the Door of Souls to the other side, to be reunited with their Maker. During the game's final chapters the party can observe the crystal energy in the air as tiny glimmering shards."

And in FFXIII-2:

"When Noel and Serah defeat a monster in battle, they can gain its power in form of crystal which they can use to summon enemy in next battle to fight alongside them. This is an ability granted to Serah by the goddess Etro. Mog has a crystal on his antenna instead of the classic moogle pompom; it is also incorporated into weapons he turns into.

Fragments, crystallized memories of sorts, take appearance of various crystals, and artefacts, items which do not belong in their time period, are also a type of crystal. Caius's greatsword and armor has a crystal attached to it, which is revealed by one of the Fragments to be Bahamut's eidolith.

The meteor that Noel arrives to New Bodhum in is also a crystal in actuality.

Atlas is powered by a type of crystal.

The Historia Crux apparently utilizes crystal as a means of preserving the states of locations that have previously been visited, as completed locations bear the message "Time and memory, frozen in crystal"."

Crystals loving EVERYWHERE. As for FFIX referring to the summon trinkets as jewels or gemstones, well, jewels and gemstones are forms of crystals.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 9, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pesky Splinter posted:

So... wait, wasn't there one from Burmecia as well? Or was Kuja wrecking house in that place just because?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I remember the game referring to those as "jewels" or "gemstones", not "crystals". The only actual "crystal" I remember was the one at the very end that Kuja ended up blowing up.

Jewels is just another name for pretty rocks and crystals we keep around. You're seriously splitting hairs there, man.

So... wait, wasn't there one from Burmecia as well? Or was Kuja wrecking house in that place just because?

If I remember correctly they attack there looking for it but the Rat people's crystal had long ago been moved to Clerya.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sorry double post

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
And also, I mean, she was going to have to crush the rat people eventually anyway.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

If crystals are supposed to be such a prominent thing again, maybe they can expect a visit from this guy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

If crystals are supposed to be such a prominent thing again, maybe they can expect a visit from this guy

God I hope the last boss in 15 is back in the "whole lot of poo poo clumped into a tower" school of enemy design.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're seriously splitting hairs there, man.

I don't think I am, but whatever. It's not like I'm going to lose sleep over misremembering stuff from a game I played years ago and haven't touched since.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

God I hope the last boss in 15 is back in the "whole lot of poo poo clumped into a tower" school of enemy design.

Well given that it's the Kingdom Hearts style gameplay that can be arranged

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, I've got to say that as a 23 year old dude, I am certainly not interested in hearing a moogle voiced by a 5-year-old girl yelling "kupo" every three seconds or watching a bunch of pseudo-intellectual teenagers moping around. I tolerate it because I've played the series for basically my entire life and the games themselves are still engaging despite the very questionable design choices that pop up now and again, but I certainly don't see any sign of them trying to keep up with my demographic. FFIX was an exception in that it really felt like they made it specifically for the people that enjoyed the older games (and it worked, IX is amazing), but I feel like the games have been drifting away from my demographic as I age if anything. By the time I'm 30 I doubt there will be a single thing for me to relate to in an FF game in terms of story, aesthetic, and possibly even soundtrack. I mentioned it earlier, but I never felt weird playing an earlier FF in front of people (aside from the all games = childish crowd), but starting around X is when I became consciously aware of there being some pretty potentially embarrassing poo poo going down on my screen.

I'm kind of excited about XV because thus far the tone looks a lot more mature. Not that I want FF to take itself super seriously or anything either, but there has to be some middle ground between that and "bunch of preteens in awful clothes running around to a J-pop soundtrack". Then again I know the series will move in whatever direction is more profitable, and I'll just have to deal with the possibility of that direction being one I can't really get behind anymore, much as I'd hate for that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't think I am, but whatever. It's not like I'm going to lose sleep over misremembering stuff from a game I played years ago and haven't touched since.

It's not that you're misremembering the game, it's just that jewels are just another name for crystals.