Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

This seems like a solid enough type of provision. Has wisconsin's law ever been challenged?

I think it's still kicking around, but I think the 7th Circuit upheld it in 2014.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=1043035160199030878&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr

EDIT: there were some issues left over after SCOTUS denied cert, but I think they were cleared last year:
[url]http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2016/D04-12/C:15-3582:j:Easterbrook:aut:T:fnOp:N:1736108:S:0[/url]

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Timby posted:

The issue with Wisconsin is that essentially a day after the Voter ID bill was originally passed, the DOT began limiting hours at DMVs and closing DMV locations statewide. There are something like a dozen counties, at least, with DMVs that are open for like a day or two per month. That strikes me as onerous.

See that's the kind of poo poo that needs to be challenged.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is why it doesn't pass constitutional muster.

This seems like a solid enough type of provision. Has wisconsin's law ever been challenged?

The appeals court okay'd it, and SCOTUS declined to review. Frank v Walker. There was another appeals decision on it last year but I don't know much.

Timby posted:

The issue with Wisconsin is that essentially a day after the Voter ID bill was originally passed, the DOT began limiting hours at DMVs and closing DMV locations statewide. There are something like a dozen counties, at least, with DMVs that are open for like a day or two per month. That strikes me as onerous.

Yeah that sounds bad, did not know that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The Wisconsin voter ID stuff was an extremely blatant gently caress You to specific groups of voters. Only the NCGOP has been more blatant in their actions and intent to explicitly make it harder for Democratic voters to vote.

Timby posted:

The Chief Justice felt it necessary to clarify that they only denied cert in the North Carolina voter ID law case because there was a concern over standing, not because they were affirming the lower court decision. Doesn't bode well for the Wisconsin case:

I desperately, desperately want to believe that Wisconsin is going to lose that case. It pretty much relies entirely on Kennedy deciding "ok I asked for a reliable measurement of disenfranchisement and this is exactly it, and WI is wrong."

It could happen, but we are in the darkest timeline so I'm worried it'll end up a 5-4 ruling and that Roberts will get to write some broad gerrymandering and disenfranchisement is 100% ok" opinion that the conservatives will all sign on to. I'm also hoping Kennedy doesn't retire with Trump in office because he knows full well it'll result in immediate nationwide rollback on LGBT rights, among other things he supports.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Without question, because we can disagree on the merits of outcomes and still have to live alongside one another. An internally consistent, logical, and fair process is the only way to achieve that, and we should always strive for perfection.

"Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

- Antonin Scalia, rest in piss

e: oh i'm responding to The Iron Rose, lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ex post facho posted:

"Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

- Antonin Scalia, rest in piss

e: oh i'm responding to The Iron Rose, lol

That's not actually what Scalia wrote, though. I'm not trying to defend the man, but that's not what he said.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
His concurrence amounts to the same thing. I fail to see how a paraphrase matters as applied to the ultimate opinion expressed in this specific instance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not actually what Scalia wrote, though. I'm not trying to defend the man, but that's not what he said.

The actual text isn't much better.

Scalia posted:

I can understand, or at least am accustomed to, the reluctance of the present Court to admit publicly that Our Perfect Constitution [n.1] lets stand any injustice, much less the execution of an innocent man who has received, though to no avail, all the process that our society has traditionally deemed adequate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Without question, because we can disagree on the merits of outcomes and still have to live alongside one another. An internally consistent, logical, and fair process is the only way to achieve that, and we should always strive for perfection.

Would you say that a system, one component of which directly states its intent to convict people of crimes because of the color of their skin, can be described as "fair"?

Because it seems to me that convicting people for not being white enough is an unfair system, by definition. This is not an objection to the "outcome", it's an objection to the unfair process by which that outcome was reached.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 16, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I actually think the law can, 100% accommodate unique historical and contemporary circumstances that require the application of strict scrutiny to certain types of discrimination claims and not others for much of the reasons you describe, but that doesn't detract from the general principle and you still have to justify it on process grounds.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/864478380158332929

:vince:

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Hmm yeah that's an excellent trade. Give up a life-time appointment to the DC Circuit in exchange for heading the FBI for two weeks until Trump fires him.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bonfire Lit posted:

Hmm yeah that's an excellent trade. Give up a life-time appointment to the DC Circuit in exchange for heading the FBI for two weeks until Trump fires him.

Just have Garland ask for a leave of absence from the Chief Judge of the DC Circuit.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Can't be an employee of two branches at once, no?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The entire Garland to FBI thing was an incredibly obvious GOP ploy. Remember that the DC Circuit is the most important court after SCOTUS.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

This is stupid and Democrats who support it are even stupider.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Garland has publicly stated now that he's not leaving the bench so you can quit handwringing over a stupid GOP plot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

For some reason he looks like cupcake dog in this picture.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Can't be a member of Congress and an employee of the executive branch.

quote:

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.

Robert Jackson and Earl Warren both took leaves of absence from the Supreme Court to serve in executive roles.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

Mr. Nice! posted:

Garland has publicly stated now that he's not leaving the bench so you can quit handwringing over a stupid GOP plot.

It's a heads I win, tails you lose plot. Now they just get to crow about how their attempt to reach across the aisle was rejected as evidence that the Democrats don't want a fair and independent FBI at all. After all, he was good enough, according to them, for the SC... but he's not impartial enough for the Supreme Court?

Nothing McConnel says is not part of a stupid (but somehow still effective sometimes) GOP plot. This is the dude that filibustered himself so he could accuse Democrats of obstructionism.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

dont even fink about it posted:

If the court loses legitimacy under a Trumpian wave of kangaroo justices, that may actually be an irrecoverable loss.

What does this mean? Even if people don't like it, SCOTUS rulings still have rule of law.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

GlyphGryph posted:

It's a heads I win, tails you lose plot. Now they just get to crow about how their attempt to reach across the aisle was rejected as evidence that the Democrats don't want a fair and independent FBI at all. After all, he was good enough, according to them, for the SC... but he's not impartial enough for the Supreme Court?

Nothing McConnel says is not part of a stupid (but somehow still effective sometimes) GOP plot. This is the dude that filibustered himself so he could accuse Democrats of obstructionism.

Dems: we didn't reject your attempt, Garland did.

The end.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

What does this mean? Even if people don't like it, SCOTUS rulings still have rule of law.

If only their were an example in history of one of the political branches ignoring a Supreme Court ruling

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah ultimately if supreme court rulings are seen as increasingly illegitimate you're gonna get a president actively running on the platform of ignoring the supreme court.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rust Martialis posted:

Legislative + judicial and legislative + executive are forbidden, but there’s nothing preventing judicial + executive.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Legislative + judicial and legislative + executive are forbidden, but there’s nothing preventing judicial + executive.

There are obvious ethical issues about being a judge and a member of law enforcement at once, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rust Martialis posted:

theoretically, but in practice he'd have to at least take a leave of absence, and that would be enough of a pretext for the Republicans to nominate an extra republican judge to that court. They've been wanting to add more right wing judges to the DC circuit for a while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

There are obvious ethical issues about being a judge and a member of law enforcement at once, though.

You forgot that nothing matters.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

OddObserver posted:

The two precedents we have didn't seem to have any problems.

Robert Jackson took a leave of absence from the Supreme Court to prosecute Nazi war criminals.

Earl Warren took a leave of absence from the Supreme Court to run the Kennedy assassination investigation.

So no problem taking a leave of absence to run an investigation.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

theoretically, but in practice he'd have to at least take a leave of absence, and that would be enough of a pretext for the Republicans to nominate an extra republican judge to that court. They've been wanting to add more right wing judges to the DC circuit for a while.

The size of the courts of appeal are set by statute. I guess congress could add a seat but

1) Senate Dems could block it

2) Just three years ago Senate GOP was arguing that the court has too many judges, scrambling to add more now would be a little transparent even for Senator Franklin.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

The size of the courts of appeal are set by statute. I guess congress could add a seat but

What if the rules change?

Ogmius815 posted:

2) Just three years ago Senate GOP was arguing that the court has too many judges, scrambling to add more now would be a little transparent even for Senator Franklin.
You think there would be a problem with inventing a completely disingenuous reason?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ogmius815 posted:

]2) Just three years ago Senate GOP was arguing that the court has too many judges, scrambling to add more now would be a little transparent even for Senator Franklin.

Three years ago is ancient history.

Last week is ancient history at this point.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

You forgot that nothing matters.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

"Because of the volume of litigation in the DC Circuit created by liberal challenges to President Trump's magnificent executive orders, the DC Circuit is now understaffed and we need to add at least three judges."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skull mask mcgee posted:

If only their were an example in history of one of the political branches ignoring a Supreme Court ruling

Yeah and what happened with that? I thought the US survived the presidency of Andrew Jackson and kept on keeping on with no real change at the governmental level. SCOTUS remained the final word on the law, popularly and legally, as it still is.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is there any legal mechanism to initiate a special presidential election?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

eNeMeE posted:

What if the rules change?

Well that would mean killing the legislative filibuster. Which I don't think Tip-tup is going to do over this.

gohmak posted:

No.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gohmak posted:

No. The Constitution and well-established law specify the line of succession and gaps in the line are filled by appointment from above or by Congress.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 18, 2017

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

gohmak posted:

A constitutional amendment is the only possible mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

gohmak posted:

I can't wait for the people who are listening to Mensch and Taylor's every word to realize the horrible truth about their fantasies.