Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The usual suspects.

Nah, if you're gonna say, "these mechs are too good for the game and this is why," you don't get away with leaving it up to everyone's imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Clearly, the mist lynx, the summoner, and the orion 2c!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I am objectively awful at this game and I can wreck folks with a stormcrow with like no effort.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
right now HBK-IICs, ACHs, and Timber Wolves are probably too good.

Kodiaks, specifically the KDK-3, are absurdly good

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

As someone who wishes mediums were good, HBK IICs are extremely good and my jam

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The ones I was going to list were the Kodiak, which is clearly head and shoulders better than every other assault in almost every imaginable metric- the HBK IIC is also lacking in real weaknesses, though I don't think it's near as good as the KDK. I don't think the Timberwolf is crazy powerful right now, but at the same time I think it's underrated just because it has been nerfed, and I still rate it among the top 2-3 heavies in the game and it survives in that ranking every time balance passes happen because it's so flexible. The SCR is the same way, and to some degree the EBJ as well. The JR7 IIC was in the same group as the last three until the resize, now I don't think it's that good, but the ACH is still fantastic as well, and the only mech that competes with it is the Locust, which is very vulnerable to losing its quirks at any time, unlike the ACH which will endure.

But besides the KDK and HBK it's tough to argue that clan mechs are just flat out better than IS mechs right now. That said, the top clan performers are all at roughly the same power level as whatever the best IS mechs happen to be at the time, and that's always the case no matter how the IS quirk meta shifts around. The most 'balanced' clan mechs are the ones that fit in somewhere around the mid-upper tiers of IS mechs, like the Hellbringer, Nova, Mad Dog, and Warhawk.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

The reason I listed the arctic cheetah is because of its ability to have all the things you want in a light - namely, the ability to break 120 kph, have ECM, and have jump jets. The fact you can mount a solid arsenal on it with C-ERSL or SRMs, and the fact that the clan XL means you're not instantly dead to a bad shot to the side puts you in a good place, and you just have a mech that has it all compared to, say, the Spider, the Raven, or the Oxide.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

axelsoar posted:

I am objectively awful at this game and I can wreck folks with a stormcrow with like no effort.

Girly face stormcrow owns.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The Jenner-IIC with SRM-40 was a crime before nature before the resize, I don't know how much that has really affected it, since the best thing about it was wrecking assaults from behind, but it was also able to win every 1v1 against almost anything since he could hit so hard and dodge so well. If you had even just two of them working together you would eat the entire team one by one.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 22, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Well I just got a Mech Bay out of a supply cache with one of the free event keys. Neat!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Washout posted:

The Jenner-IIC with SRM-40 was a crime before nature before the resize, I don't know how much that has really affected it, since the best thing about it was wrecking assaults from behind, but it was also able to win every 1v1 against almost anything since he could hit so hard and dodge so well. If you had even just two of them working together you would eat the entire team one by one.

It was worse than the oxide in every way, pretty much. You could pack a bigger alpha, but had lower dps, worse heat efficiency, were slower, and much more fragile. I'm also impressed that you could fit 40 SRMs on a mech with six missile hardpoints.

The resize has not been kind to it either. It was fragile before, now it's a Cicada-sized mech with no structure quirks.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sigh. I'm putting up 400+ damage a game in a dual AC20 K2 and cannot get a win. 7 games now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Hmmm. Why does the Timber Wolf C have zero quirks for its set bonus, when the Timber Wolf A has a rather nice agility bonus for its set bonus? Does that put the A chassis just sliiiiightly over the C?

It probably won't show up often since you'll be mixing and matching omnipods, but the possibility for the A to compensate for its A left torso negative quirks is still there. How much do you guys think it matters?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

Hmmm. Why does the Timber Wolf C have zero quirks for its set bonus, when the Timber Wolf A has a rather nice agility bonus for its set bonus? Does that put the A chassis just sliiiiightly over the C?

It probably won't show up often since you'll be mixing and matching omnipods, but the possibility for the A to compensate for its A left torso negative quirks is still there. How much do you guys think it matters?

Not at all. The TBR-S RT is too good for you to ever get the set bonus on any Timber Wolf.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Appearently there are now assault mechs in Boxes.
Not that you would ever get one, just saying i had 2 with an executioner and a banshee in them.

There have always been, Executioners were among the first ones I saw in boxes. You can also get a Zeus.

And you know, it's actually impressive the rear end in a top hat Scroogery they displayed when picking the supply cache mechs. They literally went out of their way to select all the least desirable mechs in the game (I bet they just opened their database and sorted mechs by amount sold, descending), because god forbid some of their whales might get a mech they would have otherwise bought on their own, right? Because that's how real raffles work, better to put up lovely prizes and save petty cash than actually entice gamblers to waste tons of money to maybe win a Boar's Head, isn't it? :downs:

Commandos, Dragons, Vindicators, Ice Ferrets, Spiders, Kit Foxes... it's a who's who of the worst chassis in the game, and when it's not a bad chassis you can rest assured it's going to be a bad variant. I was at one point pleasantly surprised to see a Jagermech in a cache - turned out it was the missile variant, a.k.a. the one that everybody skips .

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does the rewards eligibility page (https://mwomercs.com/profile/content) list the Top Tier IS Reward as qualified for anyone? I have bought both the Rifleman and Cyclops packs but it still says no for me :x

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Commandos, Dragons, Vindicators, Ice Ferrets, Spiders, Kit Foxes... it's a who's who of the worst chassis in the game, and when it's not a bad chassis you can rest assured it's going to be a bad variant. I was at one point pleasantly surprised to see a Jagermech in a cache - turned out it was the missile variant, a.k.a. the one that everybody skips .

It might just be that most mechs aren't very good. The last two mechs I saw in a cache were an Ebon Jaguar and a Grasshopper.

TjyvTompa posted:

Does the rewards eligibility page (https://mwomercs.com/profile/content) list the Top Tier IS Reward as qualified for anyone? I have bought both the Rifleman and Cyclops packs but it still says no for me :x

Are they Rifleman and Cyclops Collectors' Packs? Did you buy them after last year's loyalty event?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cease to Hope posted:

It might just be that most mechs aren't very good. The last two mechs I saw in a cache were an Ebon Jaguar and a Grasshopper.

Are they Rifleman and Cyclops Collectors' Packs? Did you buy them after last year's loyalty event?

Yes and yes. Both came out after last years loyalty event ended so it can't be that. Guess I have to contact support.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes and yes. Both came out after last years loyalty event ended so it can't be that. Guess I have to contact support.

Just to clarify, its the 40$ collector packs.
Not 20$ +reinforcements + hero or something, strictly the 40$ counts for collectors.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just to clarify, its the 40$ collector packs.
Not 20$ +reinforcements + hero or something, strictly the 40$ counts for collectors.

Oh man I only bought the standard pack + hero for the Rifleman it turns out. So to get the ECM stalker I would have to give PGI $20 more for a collectors pack containing 3 mechs I already own plus the RFL-3N (S).

And I don't own any stalkers already so I would want to buy the mastery pack too :homebrew:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

Oh man I only bought the standard pack + hero for the Rifleman it turns out. So to get the ECM stalker I would have to give PGI $20 more for a collectors pack containing 3 mechs I already own plus the RFL-3N (S).

And I don't own any stalkers already so I would want to buy the mastery pack too :homebrew:

OR you just wait until that thing becomes available for c-bills (eventually).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So, I was thinking about coming back to MWO to shoot robots and atlas people to death, but it looks like the new ghost heat has made brawling the worst it's ever been and sniping dumb again, can someone confirm this is true before I make a terrible mistkae?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It doesn't exist yet. Come on in, shoot robit for a bit, and if the new system is terrible, leave with the rest of us.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

So, I was thinking about coming back to MWO to shoot robots and atlas people to death, but it looks like the new ghost heat has made brawling the worst it's ever been and sniping dumb again, can someone confirm this is true before I make a terrible mistkae?

I guess that depends what you use for brawling. HKB-IIcs with dual UAC/10s will still poo poo out damage. SPL boats will actually be more dangerous. AC/20 + Quad SRM 6 will incur a 20 heat penatly. It's not like this will the last iterartion. At the moment: Shooting Robots is fun!
It could be the last couple of months before it gets unfun.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Well, the reason I stopped playing first time round was poptarts and pinpoint damage being too strong, now it seems like they've made PPCs and other pinpoint damage super viable again... which is bad...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess that depends what you use for brawling. HKB-IIcs with dual UAC/10s will still poo poo out damage.

Ghost energy draw heat for doubletapping.

quote:

SPL boats will actually be more dangerous.

Ghost energy draw heat for shooting six or more SPLs, when it's seven or more now.

Anyway. PPC pinpoint sniper hell is not (yet) upon us, and there's at least one more test server round, so nobody knows what post-energy-draw meta will yet look like. I don't expect it will be good, but MWO is already not good so whatever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well, the reason I stopped playing first time round was poptarts and pinpoint damage being too strong, now it seems like they've made PPCs and other pinpoint damage super viable again... which is bad...

The new system certainly looks like it's going to lead to a new sniping meta, but it's not going in for a while yet (and it may still get fixed in the next test, though I wouldn't hang my hopes on it). One to three months before it hits live would be a good guess.

If you have an urge to Atlas-hug people to death, this may be your best and last chance.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Scouting is hard.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
If you look at @russ_bullock mentions on twitter it is nothing but how energy draw is bad, stupid, exploitable et.c. but if you check his timeline it is nothing but retweets about how good and cool the system is.

Here is a video that supposedly lists everything wrong about the system: https://youtu.be/9-JDoxpdcUw

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

If you look at @russ_bullock mentions on twitter it is nothing but how energy draw is bad, stupid, exploitable et.c. but if you check his timeline it is nothing but retweets about how good and cool the system is.

Here is a video that supposedly lists everything wrong about the system: https://youtu.be/9-JDoxpdcUw
That's a good video.

Cease to Hope posted:

Ghost energy draw heat for doubletapping.
Ghost energy draw heat for shooting six or more SPLs, when it's seven or more now.
Anyway. PPC pinpoint sniper hell is not (yet) upon us, and there's at least one more test server round, so nobody knows what post-energy-draw meta will yet look like. I don't expect it will be good, but MWO is already not good so whatever.

Well you start with 30 energy, granted if you also want to fire 2x ER Medium, you'll be having fun with Ghost Heat. Or Ghost heat may have fun with you. Your mileage may vary.

Also Cooldown changes on the PTS:
Clan Weapons

inner Sphere Weapons

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 22, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Three hundred posts what the poo poo happened

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

If I had to guess, the usual suspects are the KDK-3, for being able to cram an enormous clan XL in a mech with great hardpoints, leaving you with a durable, fast, hard-hitting assault. It's not so much unbalanced as the best in class that everything else has to be measured against. The only other one I can think of that's as obvious is the arctic cheetah in lights, which takes a slightly slower speed for having all the things you'd want from a light mech.

The Arctic Cheetah spots all the competing IS lights 3 tons of jump jets. It's a very good mech, but the best IS lights are better.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Wonderful late night discovery, we found a technique to drive your teammates insane and in only requires 3 dudes

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

A.o.D. posted:

The Arctic Cheetah spots all the competing IS lights 3 tons of jump jets. It's a very good mech, but the best IS lights are better.

Which ones are we talking about here? Firestarters are still good, but lack of ECM always hurts, and the resize was not friendly either. The locust is very quirk dependent, and can't eat butt in the same way as an ACH or FS.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

That is a video of someone rambling for a goddamned half hour about energy draw, I seriously don't care about anything enough to watch that.

Willfrey posted:

Wonderful late night discovery, we found a technique to drive your teammates insane and in only requires 3 dudes

Also that you should drive this Battlemaster. Put three LLs on left click, two LLs on right click, and turn your arms into incoming enemy fire.

It is the assault you should be playing if you don't know what assault you want to play. It's tough, it zombies until it's a toothpick, it keeps up with the pack, and it lasers poo poo to death no matter what kind of fight you're in.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The Arctic Cheetah is a loving tank compared to the competing IS lights though.

I don't know if it's the hitboxes (skinny legs), the jjets, the mild structure bonuses on the -A, or a combination of all three, but I have way more trouble legging a Cheetah than any IS light except for the Spider, and the Spider (a) has laughable firepower compared to the AC, and (b) even if it's hard to leg it, you can still go for the torsos and its IS XL engine will fail pretty quickly. Meanwhile Jenners, Ravens, Firestarters are all-around stupidly fragile compared to the Cheetah.

edit: To instantly invalidate any balance comment I have just made or may make in the future, I want to share this hilarious CN9-D build I came up with that totally wasn't an excuse to do something with the shittiest chassis I own without having to purchase an even larger XL engine just for it:

CN9-D - Shitbrawler

Plays kinda like the shotgun K2, but arguably a little better due to the extra speed and shield arm. First half of the match you stay hidden and maybe chase off a light or two with the LBX. Second half you look for battered / long-range / distracted targets, rush in exposing your shield arm, then circle-strafe it while literally hosing it down (hold down the alphastrike key, you can do it for a full 30 seconds before overheating) until it either dies or gets friends to defend it, at which point you die run off and hide.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 22, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Willfrey posted:

If you win a match in the solo queue against this guy: http://mwomercs.com/forums/user/28009-bluefiremw/ and you say "gg" he will lose his mind.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

That is a video of someone rambling for a goddamned half hour about energy draw, I seriously don't care about anything enough to watch that.

Summary of the Video: Heat Capacity should be reduced, DHS should be full 2.0 hsps. DHS shouldn't be igher capacity at all. Energy Drain, Gauss # limits are dumb. Closed Beta had high TTK. And he also wants quirks getting reduced/removed. And wants higher cooldowntimes.
So some good points, some meh ones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

The Arctic Cheetah is a loving tank compared to the competing IS lights though.

I don't know if it's the hitboxes (skinny legs), the jjets, the mild structure bonuses on the -A, or a combination of all three, but I have way more trouble legging a Cheetah than any IS light except for the Spider, and the Spider (a) has laughable firepower compared to the AC, and (b) even if it's hard to leg it, you can still go for the torsos and its IS XL engine will fail pretty quickly. Meanwhile Jenners, Ravens, Firestarters are all-around stupidly fragile compared to the Cheetah.

I think it's because of the slight upwards/downwards bounding motion they make when they run. It's hard to line up a clean shot on their legs when they're in motion.

Zero problems blowing limbs off if they're stationary or close enough for a full weapon exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Summary of the Video: Heat Capacity should be reduced, DHS should be full 2.0 hsps. DHS shouldn't be igher capacity at all. Energy Drain, Gauss # limits are dumb. Closed Beta had high TTK. And he also wants quirks getting reduced/removed. And wants higher cooldowntimes.
So some good points, some meh ones.

This is basically what I got out of it, though I didn't watch, only listened. I think he's too devoted to 'keeping what's been done before' when he should be focused on simplicity - that the existing heat system should be used to solve their problems. I actually find this fairly interesting, because PGI is increasing heat capacity a fair bit in this patch, as currently DHS add 1.1 capacity, and postpatch they'll add 1.5. That said, I have no idea if he has a good point re: capacity, or not.

He also completely missed the fact that closed beta was 8v8 rather than 12v12, which is probably the single largest change to time to kill. As it stands there's basically never a good reason to split up your massed firepower, as if you have massed firepower and get the initiative against your enemy, by either range, a push, or good ambush positioning, you can just remove an opposing mech from the lineup. The game would have to seriously revamp objectives to make splitting up that line or ball a good thing, and until such a change exists, TTK is still going to be low, and Atloxen will be melted in half a second.

• Locked thread