Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ItBurns posted:

Someone did this for BF4 and it was roughly a logarithmic curve where people got better as they leveled but then kind of petered out at a certain point. You have some bias because people who are awful and/or don't enjoy the game will quit, but more or less skill is correlated with level, just not linearly. I'll try to find the graphic.

That'd be interesting but yeah that's what I'd expect is that it drops off after a certain level where you've learned pretty much everything there is to know mechanics/knowledge wise, and it just comes down if you personally have got better with movement+aiming, and just sort of free-for-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

NmareBfly posted:

Soldier:76 is a good all-rounder but he's pretty boring.

Not going to lie, this weeks brawl has dramatically modified and refined my S76 game, to the point where I’ll prefer him more often than not if there’s an empty offense slot. There was talk about learning characters upthread, and between last week’s random respawn and the hundred health granddads this week, brawl seems to be focused on teaching people to play defensively instead of corpse cannoning until they win or run out the clock.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not going to lie, this weeks brawl has dramatically modified and refined my S76 game, to the point where I’ll prefer him more often than not if there’s an empty offense slot. There was talk about learning characters upthread, and between last week’s random respawn and the hundred health granddads this week, brawl seems to be focused on teaching people to play defensively instead of corpse cannoning until they win or run out the clock.

I can't wait for the all tracer koth brawl where the game starts in overtime the second the point unlocks so we can all learn the magic of stalling the clock by throwing ourselves into the fire

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't really like playing S76, but I'm never displeased to see one on my team. If someone picks 76 I immediately feel much better about our composition unless it was the final slot and we have no healers/tanks, but even then I like seeing him more than any of the other offense/defense alternatives (and more than Symmetra/DVa). It's just so nice having a moderately beefy and sustainable guy who's going to be on the front lines.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you headshot with every gun, also is there any locational damage besides "head" and "not the head"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Digirat posted:

Can you headshot with every gun, also is there any locational damage besides "head" and "not the head"

You can headshot with most non-projectile weapons, and a few projectile weapons. If you want to know if a certain character/ability can headshot, check this site: http://owinfinity.com/en/

Also no it's just "head" and "not head"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grammaton posted:

Killing people with Symmetra's slow moving giant orb of energy death is so satisfying.

I love doing it to Reinhardts, they're so used to being kept safe by the shield they don't even notice the giant chunks of health disappearing

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The general rule is that if it's a projectile that either: explodes or passes through multiple targets, it doesn't headshot. Beams also can't headshot, so this entirely excludes Pharah, Junkrat, Reinhardt, Zarya, Winston, and Symmetra from requiring that sort of precision.

Probably the most notable non-headshot attack I can think of is McCree's Fan the Hammer, despite it being hitscan - if you're using it go for the center of mass. It's probably the only hitscan weapon that just can't crit.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Xaris posted:

That'd be interesting but yeah that's what I'd expect is that it drops off after a certain level where you've learned pretty much everything there is to know mechanics/knowledge wise, and it just comes down if you personally have got better with movement+aiming, and just sort of free-for-all.

Where the hell is MasterOverwatch getting their stats from? I don't see an official API. It has my stats but I haven't linked my account or anything. This doesn't seem like a difficult question to answer otherwise.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ItBurns posted:

Where the hell is MasterOverwatch getting their stats from? I don't see an official API. It has my stats but I haven't linked my account or anything. This doesn't seem like a difficult question to answer otherwise.

Probably scrapes it from the official Overwatch site which has your stats on there.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon goes ape poo poo during in-house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjWAD3NynME

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I left town for a few days and when I came back, my mouse (Logitech G602) stutters a bit in game. So as I swing around to aim it jumps or slightly freezes for a split second at random intervals. I noticed no issues whatsoever roughly 5-6 days ago. It's incredibly frustrating, and I seem to only notice it when playing Overwatch. Has anyone else run in to this issue after a recent update?

Edit: It stutters both in the UI and during a match.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Probably scrapes it from the official Overwatch site which has your stats on there.

Do you have a URL for this?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ItBurns posted:

Do you have a URL for this?

https://playoverwatch.com/en-gb/

Enter the player name at the top.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Can someone explain roadhog's hook for me, because I'm pretty sure it makes no sense. Most recently, I hooked someone at fairly close range and it pulled them completely behind me. Why for the love of god would that happen. I also get a lot of instances where people get pulled to my extreme left or right, sometimes in midair. I'm pretty sure it's meant to bring them right into your reticle in front of your face, because that's what happens most of the time and the stun really doesn't last long enough to re-asses your aim. It is really infuriating and there is no way to tell when its going to work correctly and when it isn't, and when it doesnt work right its impossible to know exactly how it's going to gently caress up.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Ragequit posted:

I left town for a few days and when I came back, my mouse (Logitech G602) stutters a bit in game. So as I swing around to aim it jumps or slightly freezes for a split second at random intervals. I noticed no issues whatsoever roughly 5-6 days ago. It's incredibly frustrating, and I seem to only notice it when playing Overwatch. Has anyone else run in to this issue after a recent update?

Edit: It stutters both in the UI and during a match.

Isn't that a wireless mouse? Don't use wireless mice.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Night Blade posted:

Isn't that a wireless mouse? Don't use wireless mice.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Also replace the two AA batteries it uses for power.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also clean your mousepad.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Magic Underwear posted:

Can someone explain roadhog's hook for me

When an enemy roadhog is hooking you it works through walls, around corners and across the map at crazy distances and you'll have ~1% chance to escape.

But when you try and play roadhog, hooked people will have the secret abilities to get stuck on geometry, only get reeled in half way or to the side or behind you, or they'll mysteriously tank the shotgun melee combo despite being a squishy.

Enjoy your roadhog adventures friend!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out it was some weird interference. Used a USB extender and moved the dongle. All set now. No idea why that started.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Can someone explain roadhog's hook for me, because I'm pretty sure it makes no sense. Most recently, I hooked someone at fairly close range and it pulled them completely behind me. Why for the love of god would that happen. I also get a lot of instances where people get pulled to my extreme left or right, sometimes in midair. I'm pretty sure it's meant to bring them right into your reticle in front of your face, because that's what happens most of the time and the stun really doesn't last long enough to re-asses your aim. It is really infuriating and there is no way to tell when its going to work correctly and when it isn't, and when it doesnt work right its impossible to know exactly how it's going to gently caress up.

You can generally tell if you'll get a odd hook because they'll be at a high angle or you're being speed-boosted by Lucio or your moving through the air via jump/fall. Playing the corners also gives you a higher chance of getting them caught on it.

As a reminder for fledgling Roadhogs, the hook is an instant-hitscan effect, so don't lead your targets.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

As a reminder for fledgling Roadhogs, the hook is an instant-hitscan effect, so don't lead your targets.

This is not true.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On PS4, I had committed myself to playing at least an hour of every character to make sure I got a feel for them.

I have now amended that not to include Genji, who may be payable with a controller, but sure as poo poo not by me.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

This isn't even close to true

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Huxley posted:

On PS4, I had committed myself to playing at least an hour of every character to make sure I got a feel for them.

I have now amended that not to include Genji, who may be payable with a controller, but sure as poo poo not by me.

Conversely, I cannot play loving McCree to save my life on PC. 8 hours later and I've got a 39% winrate on him. There's just something about him that has not and likely never will "click" like Pharah, S76, or Mei has.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vermain posted:

Conversely, I cannot play loving McCree to save my life on PC. 8 hours later and I've got a 39% winrate on him. There's just something about him that has not and likely never will "click" like Pharah, S76, or Mei has.

Have you tried pressing M2 friend?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Click em in the head

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Have you tried pressing M2 friend?

Even pre-nerf I was sitting at something like 43%. It's just the weirdest loving deal considering that S76 - my third most played character, and another hitscan class - has around a 56% winrate.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Thor-Stryker posted:

a true statement this is not

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

There's like twice as many PS4s than Xbox out there

Yeah but 15k to 160k? That seems really out of whack. Perhaps the Xbox crowd is a larger overlap of people with PC preference but PS4 selling 10x + more than Xbox seems odd.

E: 10x more

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Vermain posted:

He's much easier to play on defense, and actually not a liability at all in that situation. He's made to punish lone flankers, in which (if it's not a flanking Roadhog for some reason?) he basically always wins. Inversely his lack of ability to really defend himself after he's spent his specials and his issues of reloading mean that he'll usually actually want to stick close to his own team.

At midrange you basically have to act as a sniper with primary fire, just with a bit less distance between you and your target. Close-range encounters are all about fanning the hammer and his specials. You just have to get good at using those tools; his tactics are simple, and his execution is somewhat tough, beyond the usual flanker gank.

He's kind of like a Mei that can't build walls/recover quickly and deletes people way faster, and that really is why having good team backup's important with McCree. He's pretty disparate from all the other offense heroes, can't fire as wildly as 76 can, nor does he have the approach/mobility advantage of Pharah.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jSeVvgNZU

you can slow this video to .25 speed to see exactly how this shakes out

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

How badly would it mess things up if they made it so DVa couldn't be headshotted while in her mech? It seems like a nice unique way to increase her survivability and it makes thematic sense. They could maybe reduce her total health a bit to compensate if it was too powerful.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Zorodius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jSeVvgNZU

you can slow this video to .25 speed to see exactly how this shakes out

I'll note that while I think it's a projectile (its hitbox is HUGE and like 2x wider and 4x taller than a Hanzo arrow) that video isn't quite testing correctly since the hook doesn't officially "fire" until about ~0.5s after you press the button since it'll follow your reticle until then.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Got my first hackusation. I'm not sure if he's aware that an aimbot is Soldier 76's Ultimate.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 18, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Unhappy Meal posted:

I'll note that while I think it's a projectile (its hitbox is HUGE and like 2x wider and 4x taller than a Hanzo arrow) that video isn't quite testing correctly since the hook doesn't officially "fire" until about ~0.5s after you press the button since it'll follow your reticle until then.

yeah, I guess it could be a hitscan that fires a split second delayed. Would work differently at long range if so. However, you do want to lead targets.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Got my first hackusation. I'm not sure if he's aware that an aimbot is Soldier 76's Ultimate.

I've only seen one blatant hacker in this game and I thought it was pretty amusing that he was still perfectly tracking people while using Solider 76's ult. DOUBLE AIMBOT!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

How badly would it mess things up if they made it so DVa couldn't be headshotted while in her mech? It seems like a nice unique way to increase her survivability and it makes thematic sense. They could maybe reduce her total health a bit to compensate if it was too powerful.

I don't think this would break too much, but it's hard to say without testing. I'm definitely tired of watching my massive HP/armor pool melt away in a split second when playing D.Va just because someone panic fired into center mass and hit my glowing weak point for massive damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
What do you guys think about a Battle Royale type map? 50 players dropped into random locations on a special BR large map and the last one standing wins.