Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Any fall over 1½ metres is highly likely to be fatal to a human being (I guess because people usually only fall from such low heights if there's already something wrong?). I have no idea how much that is in feet.

That is one Queen Victoria

Pookah posted:

Just to add to this, she was surprisingly tiny

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Google says 1,52m after some finagling under a strange debate and stranger still denom's in unintuitive combinatory measurements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Any fall over 1½ metres is highly likely to be fatal to a human being (I guess because people usually only fall from such low heights if there's already something wrong?). I have no idea how much that is in feet.

I'm more than 1 and 1 half metres.

Does that mean I'm a fall risk? Asking Fox News here.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have fallen from that height or higher perhaps hundreds of times in my life, mostly on purpose. Am I living on borrowed time? That’s less than 5’

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Smashing the report button on all the dead posters in this thread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BrianBoitano posted:

My son fell 2 meters from the outside of a tube slide. Thank goodness he's not human I guess!

Children are made of rubber and can fall from up to 20 meters without noticing unless someone sees them in which case they'll start crying.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

FreudianSlippers posted:

Children are made of rubber and can fall from up to 20 meters without noticing unless someone sees them in which case they'll start crying.

I think child psychologists have a term for this but I don't know what it is as I am not a child psychologist.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Captain Toasted posted:

I have fallen from that height or higher perhaps hundreds of times in my life, mostly on purpose. Am I living on borrowed time? That’s less than 5’

Flick rat into reality
Oh there goes brevity
Captain Toasted believes
He can fight gravity

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Drunks can also fall considerable heights, such as 1.5 metres, without injury. The prevalent theory is that drinking copious amounts of alcohol makes you a baby.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Children are made of rubber and can fall from up to 20 meters without noticing unless someone sees them and expresses concern in which case they'll start crying.

ftfy

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

QR Code Geass posted:

Yeah they're indestructible. Except from cancer which your pet rat will get at the age of two.

I’ve heard this is because they have a very high metabolism rate. Basically their bodies are churning through new cells a lot faster than something like people do, which makes them very sturdy when it comes to recovering from injuries. Unfortunately, this also means that they’re rolling the dice on not producing cancerous cells a lot more often than other animals

I have no idea if this is actually true, but it sounds like it is, and that’s good enough for me

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Can't they inject them with shark DNA? Make them immune to cancer?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kazil posted:

Can't they inject them with shark DNA? Make them immune to cancer?

Do you want a smooth rat you IDIOT

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Ziv Zulander posted:

I’ve heard this is because they have a very high metabolism rate. Basically their bodies are churning through new cells a lot faster than something like people do, which makes them very sturdy when it comes to recovering from injuries. Unfortunately, this also means that they’re rolling the dice on not producing cancerous cells a lot more often than other animals

I have no idea if this is actually true, but it sounds like it is, and that’s good enough for me

People (my one friend) like them as pets. They just don't live long. A dog or cat might last 15 years, rats not so much.

And you can't help but name them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A0l-eBK9KE

I think it's generally nice that we dumb mammals like each other.

QR Code Geass has a new favorite as of 22:15 on May 12, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes, kinda

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Toasted posted:

People falling from a short height and not hurting themselves badly never make it into any sort of statistics.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That being said, there is a surprising spike in the number of fatal falls from a relatively low height, because when you fall from a distance that is just about your body height and you're falling off of something like a ladder you have just enough time to do a half rotation through the air and land directly on your head.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Not only did the kicked rat die excruciatingly, the child contracted bubonic plague

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People falling from a short height and not hurting themselves badly never make it into any sort of statistics.

That… makes a lot of sense

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hackers film 1995 posted:

ive been looking at these forums for like 20 years (which deserves derision) and i can say unequivocally that anyone who posts on the sa forums should not be doling out therapy advice

What are you going to do, take therapy advice from people who post on reddit, twitter, or facebook? Gotta post somewhere.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

https://journals.lww.com/pec-online/abstract/2022/02000/trampoline_injuries_in_children_and_adolescents__a.99.aspx

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

should have ended dragging him out of the alley and dropping him into the sewer

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did you get that number from a Dark Souls wiki?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who have died falling off things are not very prolific posters in this thread either. Makes you think.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I fall alot and I'm drunk alot so it's a wash I guess

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Milo and POTUS posted:

Only if it’s absolutely smooth. No wrinkled-cat style rats, we need rats that are smooth like a sausage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Did you get that number from a Dark Souls wiki?

Työturvallisuuskoulutus

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just to confirm is the rat video now the same as the fast food kick one?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Alucard posted:

Just to confirm is the rat video now the same as the fast food kick one?

Please rate on the scale of

Fast food kid kick <---> raccoon down stairs

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That raccoon had to go down those stairs :colbert:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The General posted:

That raccoon had to go down those stairs :colbert:

And we never saw the actual punt on the rat. The rat just wanted to give that girl a smooch. And Hantavirus.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It’s right up there with the guy that yeeted the raccoon down the basement stairs

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PainterofCrap posted:

It’s right up there with the guy that yeeted the raccoon down the basement stairs

That was Wil Wheaton

edit: the guy not the raccoon

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:aaa:

Holy poo poo. I had forgotten all about that movie and song until you posted that. What a blast from my past....

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:aaa:

Holy poo poo. I had forgotten all about that movie and song until you posted that. What a blast from my past....

:ssh: the book made me cry

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ante posted:

That was Wil Wheaton

? I thought it was Kevin Rose??

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

The General posted:

? I thought it was Kevin Rose??

Ohhh maybe. I might conflate the two

Similar type of annoying tech dweeb

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

R.L. Stine posted:

should have ended dragging him out of the alley and dropping him into the sewer

…we watched very different versions of Boyz n the Hood I guess. :stare:

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

ante posted:

That was Wil Wheaton

More like Wil Yeeton

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

My son fell 2 meters from the outside of a tube slide. Thank goodness he's not human I guess!

That kid...is inhuman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kdrudy posted:

That kid...is inhuman!

Only Earth Corps can stop them!