Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I assume they were connected in ao3 content long before that reveal, but I’m not going to check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

rong thred

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 6, 2024

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1776947352701432223

lol, gonna get a tan from my RGB lights

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's patina which adds character to the card #wontfix

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

repiv posted:

it's patina which adds character to the card #wontfix

I mean, if I'm looking at a card on ebay and it's got :catdrugs: RGB RAM sun burn at least you know it wasn't mined.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Nah, active coolers for the memory RGB lights.
It's the only way.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Jesus gently caress is it that expensive to make LEDs that don’t give off UV light?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're just carrying on the tradition from when people used to put UV cold cathode tubes in their builds

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Jesus gently caress is it that expensive to make LEDs that don’t give off UV light?

It's actually hard to make LEDs that DO give off UV light, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

did they contract the same people who did the lighting for that monkey nft event that blinded everyone?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The memory sticks used in those are the G.Skill Trident Z that is super popular and I've used for several years before selling a couple months ago. Don't see any damage to my backplate, but I use a full sized ATX and those motherboards look like mATX with how close the PCI slot is to the RAM.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Keeping all RGB turned off continues to be the pro move

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Branch Nvidian posted:

Keeping all RGB turned off continues to be the pro move
otoh, you can celebrate pride month every month

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I prefer my system to be a never ending dance party

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Star Man posted:

I prefer my system to be a never ending dance party

If I’m not mandated to have an epilepsy warning on my case then am I even really gaming

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If your SignalRGB profile isn't your entire personality then I don't know what to say to you

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
My wicked rig has rgb, it's the first time I've ever used it.

Was surprised to find there still isn't a standard and whatever you buy is going to have it's own ecosystem, and even after that you're gonna have to mix them up because you just will. It's pretty much as dumb as normal cases look when they don't have killer rays.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some rumors that Nvidia will launch Blackwell for gaming by end of this year. Prior rumors were early 2025.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-board-partners-expect-geforce-rtx-5090-and-rtx-5080-to-launch-in-fourth-quarter

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

nah

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cygni posted:

Some rumors that Nvidia will launch Blackwell for gaming by end of this year. Prior rumors were early 2025.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-board-partners-expect-geforce-rtx-5090-and-rtx-5080-to-launch-in-fourth-quarter

Those rumored 5080 specs are an insult compared to a 5090. I guess nvidia wants everyone to buy the 5090 instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ihmemies posted:

Those rumored 5080 specs are an insult compared to a 5090. I guess nvidia wants everyone to buy the 5090 instead.

It worked for the 4090!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

presumably the 5090 would have 32GB of VRAM then, given the bus size? then 16GB on the 5080

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

5000 series - Five slots, and thousands of dollars

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are targeting 4080 Super-like pricing for the 5080 and $2499+ for the 5090

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

what are the odds that DLSS4 is locked behind 5000 too? pretty high I guess

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

repiv posted:

presumably the 5090 would have 32GB of VRAM then, given the bus size? then 16GB on the 5080

nvidia announces GDDR7 supports non-binary sizes, keeps VRAM at 24gb

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

YerDa Zabam posted:

hard to see what it'd even involve, unless it's some abhorrent low-latency generative ai accelerator for games for assets, shaders, and character models

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kliras posted:

hard to see what it'd even involve, unless it's some abhorrent low-latency generative ai accelerator for games for assets, shaders, and character models

run multiple models in an ensemble for better accuracy, maybe?

learned optimization on shader order and memory layout and pipeline scheduling per game?

physics prediction to optimistically precalculate parts of upscaling/TAA?

there’s other stuff like speech recognition or synthesis that they could do on the GPU too, if course

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

It would be very on brand

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i can guarantee you that there will be new features that only Blackwell can access, yes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dlss feels like it's already close to being too overloaded a term for people to wrap their heads around, especially with 3.0.0 versioning being different from dlss 3. people associate dlss 3 with frame generation, so i wonder how they're gonna approach naming

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

kliras posted:

dlss feels like it's already close to being too overloaded a term for people to wrap their heads around, especially with 3.0.0 versioning being different from dlss 3. people associate dlss 3 with frame generation, so i wonder how they're gonna approach naming

Very good point. It is misused confused and conflated a lot. And that's by people who have at least a rough idea about this sort of thing.
I'm surprised that nvidia haven't split it up a bit more and branded the gently caress out of each part tbh. All in time maybe.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
introducing ... rtx 2

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Inept posted:

nvidia announces GDDR7 supports non-binary sizes, keeps VRAM at 24gb

of course we can't have 32GB of VRAM, due to woke :argh:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

kliras posted:

Feels like that's intentional. If you market DLSS as a vague ball of cool stuff instead of the individual features then you can train the market to seek out DLSS, not the features. That makes it harder for other vendors to compete because they can't offer the specific buzzword DLSS. Even in a scenario where AMD matches what Nvidia is offering, if people have learned to associate DLSS with premium features then they may still perceive an advantage for Nvidia hardware.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ihmemies posted:

I would point out that those are rumored specs for Blackwell gb202 and gb203 dies, not particular products. There would be nothing stopping them from basing both a hypothetical 5090 and 5080 on 202 in different configurations, for example. Not that they will, necessarily but there is little to go on even if rumors are correct.

Even the 5090 they are speculating will be cut down, not full fat 202.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's pretty safe to assume the flagship will be cut down, the last time they did a fully unlocked consumer card was... pascal i think? and that was titan branded

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

repiv posted:

it's pretty safe to assume the flagship will be cut down, the last time they did a fully unlocked consumer card was... pascal i think? and that was titan branded

Doubly so given the current insane loving bank they're making selling enterprise hardware for LLM etc. The last thing they want to do is undercut that business with a consumer card that is, relatively speaking, dirt cheap.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3090 Ti was full die, and Titan RTX was the full die Turing

I'm skeptical of a 512bit bus with 32gbps GDDR7 for a consumer part. That would be double the bandwidth of the 4090 for a comparatively smaller increase in SMs. When the 4090 is completely unchallenged at the high end (and rumors suggest AMD and Intel don't have anything for it even next gen), why go that big? For AI land, makes a lot of sense, but not sure it makes much sense right now in consumer. I'm expecting a cut down for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's possible that the spec rumors are real but either portend a large price increase, or maybe even a new SKU at the tippy top high end. That kind of thing happens fairly regularly in the Apple rumor mill, where you see some super-premium rumor and then it turns out it's a brand new sku.

It would be surprising if the 5090 was less than $1999. The thing is, with the way price sensitivity basically goes infinite at the top end, it's not a giant stretch imo to think that they might do a 5090TiMaxxx for like $2499.

The market is just in such a weird spot right now, and Nvidia rules the world, at least for the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to extract even more from the consumer...

e: sometimes I just wonder how it feels being Jenson right now. He has to be the smuggest dude on the planet. If life is a video game, Jenson is the current protagonist.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 8, 2024