Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just rewatched Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78 and I always forget that one's PG. Nudity, lots of icky body horror, and a head-caving-in scene that would do Gaspar Noe proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

In retrospect, it's strange to think that it took the MPAA over a decade to fill the gap between PG and R.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

In retrospect, it's strange to think that it took the MPAA over a decade to fill the gap between PG and R.

What I think is crazy is how much it shifted. There were PG movies with boobs in them. But there are no pg-13 movies with boobs in them. So not only did they add an intermediate category, they moved some things all the way to the next category.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

What I think is crazy is how much it shifted. There were PG movies with boobs in them. But there are no pg-13 movies with boobs in them. So not only did they add an intermediate category, they moved some things all the way to the next category.

I feel like that's a shift within American culture overall more than anything. PG-13 happened in the Reagan '80s.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Part of it was that the X rating went away.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like that's a shift within American culture overall more than anything. PG-13 happened in the Reagan '80s.

That's kind of the shift I was alluding to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Part of it was that the X rating went away.

I had not considered this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

Titanic has boobs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Titanic has boobs.

Oh poo poo. Good call.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think it's disturbing how a movie can be extremely violent, but get a PG-13 just because they don't show blood and gore.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
In Scream, Neve Campbell asks her boyfriend if he'll settle for a PG-13 relationship, then flashes her boobs at him. When I saw that as a kid I was like "that's not the PG-13 I'm familiar with"

Well, bye

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

In the 1960s and 1970s and earlier there were more people who weren't allowed to see films and culturally it was looked on in the same way like taking your family to the strip club or something. Things have changed obviously. When things slowly started to shift and more prudish kinds of people dared to walk into the dens of evil with satanic flickering light movie theaters the more explicit rating delineations started to happen.

I've heard funny stories from people expecting to be struck by lightning for daring to see Star Wars or The Sound of Music. Once the religious folk realized they wouldn't be annihilated the floodgates really opened.

Snak posted:

There were some in the 1980s and 1990s. Jodie Foster in Nell comes to mind. Most definitely an R these days.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just rewatched Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78 and I always forget that one's PG. Nudity, lots of icky body horror, and a head-caving-in scene that would do Gaspar Noe proud.

It gets confusing because a lot of films get retroactively rated. Netflix listed Barbarella as R. Bananas is now PG-13. The other confusion is when a film has multiple cuts with different ratings but the exact same title. I haven't seen that as often since the VHS days ended. Since DVDs inception they call it another edition or something.

Egbert Souse posted:

I think it's disturbing how a movie can be extremely violent, but get a PG-13 just because they don't show blood and gore.

That's the more European sentiment but most in :911: don't seem to mind. It's interesting how emotional and intellectual sensibilities change over time and within different countries and cultures. Reading through reviews here it's very common to see our current zeitgeist applied to films from 20+ years ago that just don't jibe today.

Makes one wonder future generations will say about these days.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Somehow Psycho was re-rated R, despite being rated M for a 1968 re-release. M later became PG.

THX-1138 went from GP (later PG) in 1971 to R for the director's cut, even though none of the nudity was removed or added between cuts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zogo posted:

In the 1960s and 1970s and earlier there were more people who weren't allowed to see films and culturally it was looked on in the same way like taking your family to the strip club or something. Things have changed obviously. When things slowly started to shift and more prudish kinds of people dared to walk into the dens of evil with satanic flickering light movie theaters the more explicit rating delineations started to happen.

I've heard funny stories from people expecting to be struck by lightning for daring to see Star Wars or The Sound of Music. Once the religious folk realized they wouldn't be annihilated the floodgates really opened.

There were some in the 1980s and 1990s. Jodie Foster in Nell comes to mind. Most definitely an R these days.

It gets confusing because a lot of films get retroactively rated. Netflix listed Barbarella as R. Bananas is now PG-13. The other confusion is when a film has multiple cuts with different ratings but the exact same title. I haven't seen that as often since the VHS days ended. Since DVDs inception they call it another edition or something.

That's the more European sentiment but most in :911: don't seem to mind. It's interesting how emotional and intellectual sensibilities change over time and within different countries and cultures. Reading through reviews here it's very common to see our current zeitgeist applied to films from 20+ years ago that just don't jibe today.

Hopefully that we were loving barbarians and that things are much better where they are. Also that they will be right when they say it.

I am sickened by the disassociation of violence and gore under the blockbuster model and genuinely consider it something that inures people to death and violence in a way that serves the interests of the state. It's loving horrible, like how the army lets movies have tanks and poo poo for free if the movie glorifies Our Brave Men Fighting Overseas but tells anyone else to gently caress off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zogo posted:

I was reading an interview with some animation director the other day (probably Bakshi but I'm not 100%) and he said that one of his films has so many cuts that there's G, PG-13, M and R cuts floating around out there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Egbert Souse posted:

Somehow Psycho was re-rated R, despite being rated M for a 1968 re-release. M later became PG.

THX-1138 went from GP (later PG) in 1971 to R for the director's cut, even though none of the nudity was removed or added between cuts.

Midnight Cowboy was originally X-rated and was later changed to R.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was reading an interview with some animation director the other day (probably Bakshi but I'm not 100%) and he said that one of his films has so many cuts that there's G, PG-13, M and R cuts floating around out there.

Bakshi would make sense, considering he made loving Fritz the Cat.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

The biggest shift I've seen (more in life than films I guess) isn't with sentiment around violence/sex but with language/insults. When you wanted to talk bad about someone in the 90's in view of your parents you wouldn't dare say the words "poo poo" or "gently caress" but you'd happily throw around "gay" "retarded" "spastic". The attitudes to those words today has completely flipped.

For example, watching early seasons of Survivor, Stephanie (who was the populations darling) insults things as "gay" or "retarded" on multiple occasions and people adored the girl. This is a G/PG rated show (sorry I don't know the US equivalent) on the most conservative/old people major network in the country.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Looten Plunder posted:

The biggest shift I've seen (more in life than films I guess) isn't with sentiment around violence/sex but with language/insults. When you wanted to talk bad about someone in the 90's in view of your parents you wouldn't dare say the words "poo poo" or "gently caress" but you'd happily throw around "gay" "retarded" "spastic". The attitudes to those words today has completely flipped.

For example, watching early seasons of Survivor, Stephanie (who was the populations darling) insults things as "gay" or "retarded" on multiple occasions and people adored the girl. This is a G/PG rated show (sorry I don't know the US equivalent) on the most conservative/old people major network in the country.

Rory on Gilmore Girls at one point complains that she has to "find a retarded kid and teach him how to play softball".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

The original Bad News Bears is rated PG but seems very extreme at times with the racial and abusive language, not to mention just some of the content in general (e.g. Walter Matthau is driving a bunch of kids around while drunk). Was that movie seen as even remotely "shocking" (for lack of a better term) when it was released? I can't see it being released at all today (as is), but if it did get released, I have to think it would be rated R.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well they remade it recently (well 2005) and it's pg-13

Maybe someone who has seen both can chime in with what was changed on the remake.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sand Monster posted:

The original Bad News Bears is rated PG but seems very extreme at times with the racial and abusive language, not to mention just some of the content in general (e.g. Walter Matthau is driving a bunch of kids around while drunk). Was that movie seen as even remotely "shocking" (for lack of a better term) when it was released? I can't see it being released at all today (as is), but if it did get released, I have to think it would be rated R.

The 70s were a weirdly progressive time for media. The Chevy Chase / Richard Pryor SNL job interview sketch would never make it on network TV today. Hell, it'd be shocking on HBO.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

regulargonzalez posted:

The 70s were a weirdly progressive time for media. The Chevy Chase / Richard Pryor SNL job interview sketch would never make it on network TV today. Hell, it'd be shocking on HBO.

True, though it was a different "time" in more ways than one. Late night TV was way more of a dumping ground / wasteland than it is now and that was a skit from first season SNL after midnight so it had that anything-goes factor going for it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Troma's War, also known as 1,000 Ways to Die

Troma fought for us! Troma began production on what was intended as a criticism of President Ronald Reagan's attempt to glamorize armed conflict.

wikipedia posted:

The film premiered at the Tokyo International Fantastic Film Festival in October 1988 before receiving a limited release on December 9, 1988 in New York City.

The film was initially rejected by the MPAA as too violent to even receive an R rating, so several scenes were cut from to the film, including the entire AIDS subplot. Despite this, the film was rejected a second time leading to even heavier cuts. The butchered end result was poorly received. In the aftermath of the film's poor financial performance, Troma experienced financial hardship, jettisoning the company from the Hollywood mainstream.

Its a pretty awful movie, but its a Troma movie. There is tits and softcore sax.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 29, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Troma's War is wild-rear end

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Troma's War is wild-rear end

I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but with Troma probably safe to assume both.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but with Troma probably safe to assume both.

Definitely a little of both. I'd say it's one of the essential Troma movies, for what it's worth.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there an uncut release of it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Is there an uncut release of it?

Oh yeah.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Which cut of Phantom of the Opera (1925) should I watch?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Which cut of Phantom of the Opera (1925) should I watch?

It comes down to quality.

The best image quality and score are the the 1929 cut on the U.K. BFI Blu-Ray, though the Kino edition is almost as good.

The only decent quality 1925 version is on the BFI release. It's region free and only :10bux:

No idea why no one has bothered reconstructing the '25 cut since there's only 15-20 minutes of unique footage.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 30, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How does Troma's War compare to Fortress of Amerikkka?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

How does Troma's War compare to Fortress of Amerikkka?

I don't know but I know for one thing, its not even close to Surf Nazi's Must Die!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

Hopefully that we were loving barbarians and that things are much better where they are. Also that they will be right when they say it.

I am sickened by the disassociation of violence and gore under the blockbuster model and genuinely consider it something that inures people to death and violence in a way that serves the interests of the state. It's loving horrible, like how the army lets movies have tanks and poo poo for free if the movie glorifies Our Brave Men Fighting Overseas but tells anyone else to gently caress off.

I have a feeling we'll be portrayed as barbarians because films have no problem condemning past people as such. I don't see the coupling of the military and Hollywood ending as long as the US remains the #1 superpower and weapons manufacturer.

If history is any indication another country will eventually take the mantle anyway.

Looten Plunder posted:

Are you saying they can say "poo poo" and "gently caress" on a G rated show now in your country? :eyepop:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tenzarin posted:

I don't know but I know for one thing, its not even close to Surf Nazi's Must Die!

*doing a move* oh gently caress *cries like a person who's been caught crying*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
None of that poo poo happens in Surf Nazis Must Die, though. It's way tamer than Fortress of Amerikkka.

Fortress of Amerikkka has a guy get his feet chained to a stump and his arms chained to a car, and well, you know...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

None of that poo poo happens in Surf Nazis Must Die, though. It's way tamer than Fortress of Amerikkka.

Fortress of Amerikkka has a guy get his feet chained to a stump and his arms chained to a car, and well, you know...

No soz I only cry for the movie. If whoever old mand older than us who works the shob thinks we're crying? I'm gonna tell him yeah we crying.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Keeping Room is really good imo. Very well made ande sad and so on.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

It comes down to quality.

The best image quality and score are the the 1929 cut on the U.K. BFI Blu-Ray, though the Kino edition is almost as good.

The only decent quality 1925 version is on the BFI release. It's region free and only :10bux:

No idea why no one has bothered reconstructing the '25 cut since there's only 15-20 minutes of unique footage.

I see that the version streaming on Shudder is only 79 minutes long. IMDB is telling me the 1929 cut is 95 minutes, which is the shortest of all the runtimes listed. Is this a difference in content, or is it a frame rate difference?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I see that the version streaming on Shudder is only 79 minutes long. IMDB is telling me the 1929 cut is 95 minutes, which is the shortest of all the runtimes listed. Is this a difference in content, or is it a frame rate difference?

I don't have a subscription, but they show cover art from Kino's Blu-Ray. It seems to match the runtime of the 1929 cut run at 24fps. 95 is correct for the same cut run at 20fps. Seems like a safe watch.

The '25 cut runs just under two hours at 20fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just watched Deliverance for the first time and there was a shot I was curious about. It's maybe 20-30 minutes into the movie, they're on the river in their canoes and they go under a bridge. The banjo kid is standing on the bridge and the shot starts on the upriver side of the bridge, looking up at the kid, goes under the bridge, swiveling as it goes so you are looking at the bridge from the downriver side. Easy enough. But then the shot elevates and you're looking down at the bridge. So the camera moves in essentially a J shape motion where the bridge is in the bowl of the J. Seems like a crane shot would be tricky to pull off on the river, but not sure how else it might have been done.

Wish I could find a video of the scene but not having any luck.