Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rhyno posted:

Lego and TT are also able to frequently sell their product for massive discounts and still turn a profit. I'd be curious to see a unit cost breakdown on each of the collect & play games on the market.

Enthusiastically agreed. As someone who's almost as interested in the business side of toys as I am in the fun collectory stuff, it drives me nuts how little we actually how about margins, how R&D processes vary from company to company, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Enthusiastically agreed. As someone who's almost as interested in the business side of toys as I am in the fun collectory stuff, it drives me nuts how little we actually how about margins, how R&D processes vary from company to company, etc.

I know that it has been speculated that LEGO sets cost less than 1/6th of what they sell them for. LEGO Store employees get massive discounts on them. Even with the game discs the Dimensions packs can not be that expensive to produce. Hell even the base game can be had for 40% off the original retail price.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If LEGO ever makes the Bug with Blue Beetle (Ted, of course) and Booster Gold, I can die happy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If LEGO ever makes the Bug with Blue Beetle (Ted, of course) and Booster Gold, I can die happy.

This is a world where there's already Hyperion, Captain Cold, and MODOK minifigs. Stay strong, true believer!

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda like the cartoony Mattel Ghostbusters a bit better. I think it's because they lean a little on the animated side, where's the DTS is supposed to be the actual characters and they kinda look like poo poo. Especially Egon, which is a bummer.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

That is horrifying. What is it? It reminds me of one of the Kenner Real Ghostbusters figures that came with a rubbery ghost that fit over his head like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That is horrifying. What is it? It reminds me of one of the Kenner Real Ghostbusters figures that came with a rubbery ghost that fit over his head like that.

This dude!

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Rubber-y Ghost indeed

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rhyno posted:

Tons of them have been that price for a while. I paid $8.50 for Hawkeye months ago. I'll only dip in if they drop to $5.

Oh, didn't know that. Sigh. All I want is Captain America and blue/red Spider-Man, and they're both still pricey.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/730382924223266817

It's so cool :allears:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

POP QUIZ: you have the cupboard from The Indian in the Cupboard, what do you put in it (and why). Note that the cupboard probably can't accommodate a Hot Toys 1:6 scale Tumblr (or even a regular HT figure, I can't remember how tall the shelves were depicted as).

A pocket pussy.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

A pocket pussy.

Call David Cronenberg, I just got an idea for his next movie!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fuccck. They even included the bloody wrist blades :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's cool looking, but I don't need to own it.

I still really want last year's Ambush Predator Kenner tribute figure though.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Bushifox posted:

I'm thinking about getting rid of my BAF sentinel, I think I like the marvel universe one better. Already swapped out the ML Galactus for MU one. (plus, those are only 50 bucks versus 150.)

I always thought the Universe one was smaller, I guess I assumed because of the scale of the Universe figures vs the Legends figures. After your post I looked into it more and I couldn't have been more wrong.

I bought one of the Universe Sentinels with the variant purple scheme today. Psyched.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I know there are a lot of NECA Predator people in this thread so I'm hoping someone can help. Or at least confirm I'm not going crazy. I dug my old Kenner tribute NECA Predators out, and the ones with better articulation (Lava and...the blue one) seem MUCH looser than I remember. Like "can't stand up" loose. Is this a known issue? Is there any fix?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

ShimSham posted:

I always thought the Universe one was smaller, I guess I assumed because of the scale of the Universe figures vs the Legends figures. After your post I looked into it more and I couldn't have been more wrong.

I bought one of the Universe Sentinels with the variant purple scheme today. Psyched.

I've owned them both and decided I don't actually like either one very much. Probably because I reread Neal Adams's X-men run to death as a kid and anything less than a full-on Neal Adams-specific Sentinel is always going to feel "wrong" to me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I've owned them both and decided I don't actually like either one very much. Probably because I reread Neal Adams's X-men run to death as a kid and anything less than a full-on Neal Adams-specific Sentinel is always going to feel "wrong" to me.

Same. I am kind of amazed they have never done one.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Djarum posted:

Same. I am kind of amazed they have never done one.

Have you ever seen Bowen's sentinel statue and mini-bust? They're pretty amazing but so spensive and not articulated.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Have you ever seen Bowen's sentinel statue and mini-bust? They're pretty amazing but so spensive and not articulated.

Yup, that is basically what I want in a Sentinel. It is even the right size, but Hasbro or Diamond would never make it because of the cost. Sad because I'd spend some cash on one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I know there are a lot of NECA Predator people in this thread so I'm hoping someone can help. Or at least confirm I'm not going crazy. I dug my old Kenner tribute NECA Predators out, and the ones with better articulation (Lava and...the blue one) seem MUCH looser than I remember. Like "can't stand up" loose. Is this a known issue? Is there any fix?

Sadly, the peg and hinge hips NECA uses with Predators can get loose over time. Thing is, there's no real way to know if your figure will be affected until it happens. I have the full lost tribe and every Pred from series 7 to 12 ad only the Boar Predator has suffered from this.

Xenomrph posted:

It's cool looking, but I don't need to own it.

I still really want last year's Ambush Predator Kenner tribute figure though.

Last year's? Is released in this fall :confused:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, it came out last year. I'm lookin at one right now.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone here know why the ML Black Panther is going for around $150 online? Was super short packed, or just in demand?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

No, it came out last year. I'm lookin at one right now.

Ohhhhh, you mean the SDCC exclusive. I mixed it with Stalker.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Anyone here know why the ML Black Panther is going for around $150 online? Was super short packed, or just in demand?

The new one?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Bulgaroctonus posted:

It's one per case. These haven't shown up at retail yet and the wave is sold out online as well. Just wait for a re-stock.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

It's one per case. These haven't shown up at retail yet and the wave is sold out online as well. Just wait for a re-stock.

Oh and also even for a hobby where we all collect toys some people are childish and rock stupid.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

The scalper mark up on that guy is seriously insane! I seriously hope no one pays that much for a Marvel Legend.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

It also looks like the revision case for Civil War will have two Black Panthers per case.

Now I'm sorely tempted to sell mine...

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

The scalper mark up on that guy is seriously insane! I seriously hope no one pays that much for a Marvel Legend.

Ah, got it, thanks. And god no, I'd have a hard time paying retail, I'd open it anyway. I haven't bought a figure in years, I'm amazed ML's are about twenty bucks now.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

featurecreep posted:

Does anyone have experience with bootleg Nendoroids? Sonic has gotten to be incredibly expensive and there are $15-16 Chinese KOs all over eBay. Am I going to regret not dropping the extra $80-90?

Anyone? I know I can't be the only one looking into chinesium.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Ah, got it, thanks. And god no, I'd have a hard time paying retail, I'd open it anyway. I haven't bought a figure in years, I'm amazed ML's are about twenty bucks now.

I'm right there with you, especially now that you have some legends that creep up to $21. I usually only pick them up used on Ebay at this point, unless it's someone I really want.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cocks Cable posted:

It also looks like the revision case for Civil War will have two Black Panthers per case.

People are asking that much, but they seem like they're actually selling for between $40 and $80, assuming we're talking eBay.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cocks Cable posted:

Do it, here are a few other figures that showed up in revision cases later: Spider-Man 2099, Black Widow, Venom (eventually). Black Panther shouldn't be too tough to find once the frenzy for a new character settles down.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
What is a revision case?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kaujot posted:

What is a revision case?

Cases that are shipped to retailers later that have different packouts. For example, a first wave of toys may have a figure that was packed one per case, but a revision case shipped later may see that figure packed two per case.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just hope the second Captain American wave appears. A lot of stores got a ton of overstock of the last wave, mostly that crappy Captain America figure.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm still not sure what a "running change" is relative to the Legends figures. You have a couple characters that share a title of sorts but I'm not sure what that accomplishes. Is it to get around retailers not having to list character names in their systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizR3vFoUhA