Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like the Pearl White that Subaru has been doing. It's a shame their paint sucks, but I guess that means I get to choose a new color in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Regardless of all of this, congrats on the HR-V GlitterBob :)

Thanks. The red is actually nothing like the brochure photo suggests. It's a bright, lipsticky Coke/McDonald's red in reality (and a solid paint to boot). If it was anything like the photo it would in fact have been my first pick.

I can see the Brilliant Sporty Blue working pretty well on something like a Civic Type R, but going by the color samples and the way it looked on the Fit in the showroom it would have been a terrible match with the HR-V. Morpho Blue could have been a serious contender but I guess I wasn't a huge fan of the teal/petroleum hue.

Thermopyle posted:

IMO, the best red on cars that normals can afford is Mazdas metallic Soul Red.

:agreed:
It's pretty spectacular. My wife was 100% against the idea of having a red car until she saw a Soul Red Mazda6 at a dealership.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
I work at a car dealership, recently a Volvo S60 T5 came in 275 000 klms on the clock the wholesaler offered it to me for dirt cheap.

The used car mechanic said as long as it has had the timing belt done it should be right I'm getting it inspected tomorrow.

Whats the goon consensus?

Edit; its a 2001 and its $500

Mr Gorgon Holmes fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 12, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how cheap

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

I work at a car dealership, recently a Volvo S60 T5 came in 275 000 klms on the clock the wholesaler offered it to me for dirt cheap.

The used car mechanic said as long as it has had the timing belt done it should be right I'm getting it inspected tomorrow.

If you like it, go for it. $500 for a functioning car of any type is a steal; if it's something you actually like it's even better.

If it blows up in 100 miles, you're not really out that much. Looks like a low risk, high reward situation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

Annoying Shitposter Red

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Such an exciting car and color. That person must be cultured!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Running cars without some insane unpaid back tax / messed up title issue cost at least $1200 in my market. Any car for $500 that isn't currently on fire, has working A/C, and has working forward and reverse gears is a deal, you should buy it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you drive anything but an obnoxiously green mazda 2, the you should re-evaluate your econo car color choices.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I got a white Dodge Charger. The 2015 and onward ones have a facelift so it doesn't quite look like a cop car (until they start switching over). Probably going to get some racing stripes or whatnot to make it not cop-like.

Phone posted:

Annoying Shitposter Red
Is it possible to get Mr. Pink banned from every car thread ever?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
That's Mr. Red to you. I'll do my best to reform my shitposting ways. I'm mostly bitter about my lack of ability to have nice cars right now. Plus then I would have nowhere to post.

vvv who are you, no FYAD drama here.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 12, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Go away Michael Scott

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Michael Scott posted:

Plus then I would have nowhere to post.

You're right that is a plus.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Goddamn I take back everything I said about the HR-V. I shouldn't have criticized someone else's color choice. I was just poking fun.

I still think rentals and Ford's DCT are OK, I have the nails and the cross set up if you want to come to my backyard and help me get up there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's amazing to me how many posters on these forums can't take a loving hint these days. Let's try this again. LURK MORE.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I agree with Michael Scott, buy your car in a color besides white, black, or some mix of the two.

It really is depressing to look at cars these days. There is a photo of seinfeld's 993 and for a second it looks like one of those stupid photoshops where everything is b&w except the focal point of the photo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Michael Scott posted:

Goddamn I take back everything I said about the HR-V. I shouldn't have criticized someone else's color choice. I was just poking fun.

I still think rentals and Ford's DCT are OK, I have the nails and the cross set up if you want to come to my backyard and help me get up there.

Mind if I criticize your choice of wood? I know the first instinct is to use a softwood because it's cheaper, but since you're on this cross so often I think we should use a hardwood, perhaps oak?

And your nails, are these even galvanized? Jesus loving christ michael scott.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

Listen, I'm willing to cut you a break and compromise, alright?

I'll stop making fun of you if you stop posting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IRQ posted:

Mind if I criticize your choice of wood? I know the first instinct is to use a softwood because it's cheaper, but since you're on this cross so often I think we should use a hardwood, perhaps oak?

And your nails, are these even galvanized? Jesus loving christ michael scott.

If you are using a cross that often, surely bolts would be better than nails?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I still think rentals and Ford's DCT are OK

You keep telling yourself that.

Michael Scott posted:

Dealer did me a favor by only charging me 1 hour labor ($130+tax) to take off carpet, seats, wiring etc. and they are still unable to find the source of my Fiesta leak/soaked footwell. :( apparently they're not seeing any water, ran it through car washes and sat it out in the rain. Which leads me to believe it is coming from the bottom of the car maybe while I am driving.

I bet a body shop would be able to narrow it down but I'd have to pay for the whole furniture moving shabang again.

Thing's a goddamn 2015 lemon. If only I could get a solid yes/no from Ford Corporate without going through the Phillipines call center and re-explaining everything each time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Proposed Budget: $5-6000 US
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Compact pickup
How will you be using the car?: Light truck things, hauling large items from the hardware store, bringing brush/leaves to the drop off center, etc... May have to use it as a daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you? NOT HUGE. I've got a small driveway and can't fit a large truck and my GF's car at the same time. We've got a garage, but it's more annoying than it's worth to use it in the summer for a car.

I'm the the market for a used truck. I don't have a huge budget, since I'm paying cash. It's not a firm number, since I'm willing to go up a bit if it's nice enough, but from my cursory searches, I'm limited to late nineties to mid 2000's model years, maybe like a soft limit of $5000.

I want a compact truck, like a Tacoma or Ranger. I'm not picky on brand, honestly, just looking for what might be regarded as a reliable truck from that year range.

For instance, I found a listing for a '99 Mazda B4000 (which looks like essentially a re-branded Ranger?) It has barely over 100k miles, looks to be in great shape from the pics, and is at $3400 OBO. I have no real concept of what good used truck prices are, other than they are a fair amount more than a used car of similar year and miles, so I can't say if that's too high, suspiciously low, or spot-on. Or if that's even a model/make worth considering.

Edit: Adding in some standard formatting for the thread.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 14, 2017

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Proposed Budget: 10,000-13,000 CAD
Body Style: non teeny hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Road trips and light camping trips only, no commuting.
What aspects are most important to you? fuel efficiency and storage space are paramount. An AUX port is high tech enough.

Was looking at the 2013 Honda Fit, for the amazing storage space, cute factor and low TCO. However, two things happened:

1 - my partner got into grad school across the province, and
2 - I rented a Chevy Cruze for a work trip and fell the gently caress in love.

And it comes in a hatchback! But only this year. Oh dear.

So slightly revised:
Proposed Budget: Stop me from hurting myself
New or Used: I want dumb things for dumb reasons
Body Style: it comes in orange!
How will you be using the car?: ~300km of commuting per week, plus groceries and road trips / light camping.
What aspects are most important to you? torquey but refined acceleration and low MPG.

Basically, I'm hoping you fine people can save me from myself. I'd like to have some of the new Cruze's road trip characteristics (quiet cabin, good acceleration, useable infotainment, very reasonable mpg) and to get it in a used vehicle, ideally for substantially less than a new car. I've looked at all kinds of reviews for other hatchbacks (mazda3, focus, elantra gt, forte5, prius) but as it turns out, I'm secretly a sucker for a mature, no-nonsense, elevated driving experience. Previously drove an '07 Matrix, whose engine was insufficient but whose trunk I adored.

First hand accounts would be awesome. :)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

C... posted:

Proposed Budget: 10,000-13,000 CAD
Body Style: non teeny hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Road trips and light camping trips only, no commuting.
What aspects are most important to you? fuel efficiency and storage space are paramount. An AUX port is high tech enough.

Was looking at the 2013 Honda Fit, for the amazing storage space, cute factor and low TCO. However, two things happened:

1 - my partner got into grad school across the province, and

And it comes in a hatchback! But only this year. Oh dear.

So slightly revised:
Proposed Budget: Stop me from hurting myself
New or Used: I want dumb things for dumb reasons
Body Style: it comes in orange!
How will you be using the car?: ~300km of commuting per week, plus groceries and road trips / light camping.
What aspects are most important to you? torquey but refined acceleration and low MPG.

Basically, I'm hoping you fine people can save me from myself. I'd like to have some of the new Cruze's road trip characteristics (quiet cabin, good acceleration, useable infotainment, very reasonable mpg) and to get it in a used vehicle, ideally for substantially less than a new car. I've looked at all kinds of reviews for other hatchbacks (mazda3, focus, elantra gt, forte5, prius) but as it turns out, I'm secretly a sucker for a mature, no-nonsense, elevated driving experience. Previously drove an '07 Matrix, whose engine was insufficient but whose trunk I adored.

First hand accounts would be awesome. :)

No first hand account, but if you're into the Chevy spirit there's the Sonic, which is a bit smaller than the Cruze but otherwise similar. A 2014 model ought to be right at your price point.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm the the market for a used truck. I don't have a huge budget, since I'm paying cash. It's not a firm number, since I'm willing to go up a bit if it's nice enough, but from my cursory searches, I'm limited to late nineties to mid 2000's model years, maybe like a soft limit of $5000.

I want a compact truck, like a Tacoma or Ranger. I'm not picky on brand, honestly, just looking for what might be regarded as a reliable truck from that year range.

For instance, I found a listing for a '99 Mazda B4000 (which looks like essentially a re-branded Ranger?) It has barely over 100k miles, looks to be in great shape from the pics, and is at $3400 OBO. I have no real concept of what good used truck prices are, other than they are a fair amount more than a used car of similar year and miles, so I can't say if that's too high, suspiciously low, or spot-on. Or if that's even a model/make worth considering.

Do you need/want 4wd? In my area (PNW) 4x4 trucks are like twice what a 2wd would cost you.

The Mazda B series was indeed a Ranger in that era. The 4.0 in that is probably the SOHC version which has a stupid jackshaft design that likes to oil starve and die. Also the transmissions sometimes explode. The price is okay for the miles if it's a 2wd, screaming deal if it's a 4x4. Also, fair warning: he 4.0 gets V8 or worse fuel economy. Like 14 city 18 highway will be your best-ever tank with that motor.

Are you in a rust area? If you can find a clean Tacoma it's drivetrain will be miles better than anything else you can find. Frame rust is for real on those trucks though.

Edit: another one to consider is the S10. The 4.3 is a good reliable motor that will vibrate you to death and get crap fuel economy, but it will stubbornly refuse to die. The transmission behind it will die a lot, but you can't win them all.

Just don't buy a Dakota from that era. Those were the 'front wheels fall off while you drive' years for Dodge.

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 14, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, I'd be all over the Mazdanger if it was a 3.0, but I am -not- a fan of that lovely SOHC 4.0. Had too many of them brought into my service bay with no compression on one bank.

The 3.slow is not powerful and doesn't get great milage, but it will generally run forever, plus the trannies last longer since the power output is lessened.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Unload My Head posted:

Do you need/want 4wd? In my area (PNW) 4x4 trucks are like twice what a 2wd would cost you.

The Mazda B series was indeed a Ranger in that era. The 4.0 in that is probably the SOHC version which has a stupid jackshaft design that likes to oil starve and die. Also the transmissions sometimes explode. The price is okay for the miles if it's a 2wd, screaming deal if it's a 4x4. Also, fair warning: he 4.0 gets V8 or worse fuel economy. Like 14 city 18 highway will be your best-ever tank with that motor.

Are you in a rust area? If you can find a clean Tacoma it's drivetrain will be miles better than anything else you can find. Frame rust is for real on those trucks though.

Edit: another one to consider is the S10. The 4.3 is a good reliable motor that will vibrate you to death and get crap fuel economy, but it will stubbornly refuse to die. The transmission behind it will die a lot, but you can't win them all.

Just don't buy a Dakota from that era. Those were the 'front wheels fall off while you drive' years for Dodge.

Cool, thanks.

It is a 4WD, and while helpful, it's not necessary. I live in New England, but in a small city, so it's not like I'm on back country roads very often where I might need it to get out of some mud or snow. The fuel economy isn't a large dealbreaker, my commute is only 6 miles. I'll likely have to make this my daily driver.

This is the listing: https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/6077907504.html

I also did a quick VIN lookup and this site is reporting the engine is OHV...does that mean it's not SOHC?
https://www.autodna.com/vin/4F4ZR17X2XTM28321
But who knows how reliable that site is.

My current car is an (03 Corolla) has an exhaust leak somewhere. It's extremely loud, I can smell fumes leaking into the cabin, and its inspection is due this month and there's no way it will pass. Unless it's a surprisingly cheap fix, I'll likely just try to sell it for like $500.

As far as Tacomas go, that was my first "go to" when I started searching, but people tend to hold on to them until they're dead or rusty beyond belief (like I said, I'm in VT so rust is a BIG concern.) I hadn't considered an S-10, so I'll add those to my short list.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 14, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

C... posted:

This is not a thing I thought I'd ever hear. I just assumed that thing was another one of those GM lowest common denominator appliances. I'll have to check one out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

My quick search also tells me that the 4.0 was OHV until 2000, so you're probably good with that vehicle.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Thermopyle posted:

This is not a thing I thought I'd ever hear. I just assumed that thing was another one of those GM lowest common denominator appliances. I'll have to check one out.

If there's one thing I've found in my poverty spec search for a nice enough vehicle, poverty compacts and sub compacts are not terrible these days (except for Mistubishi):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRkU43kwHiI

KBB does a nice job with these videos.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2017

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is the listing: https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/6077907504.html

I also did a quick VIN lookup and this site is reporting the engine is OHV...does that mean it's not SOHC?
https://www.autodna.com/vin/4F4ZR17X2XTM28321
But who knows how reliable that site is.
'

I seem to recall that there were a few overlap years where you could get the SOHC or the OHV engine, but JnnyThndr may be right about it being a hard switch in '00. Best just to go see it and pop the hood.

Those pics are garbage but it looks relatively clean. Flame stickers = idiot owner, and ladder rack = contractor so inspect thoroughly for dumb mods/damage/neglect/overloading/abuse/ect. That said, it looks like a good deal to me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

As far as Tacomas go, that was my first "go to" when I started searching, but people tend to hold on to them until they're dead or rusty beyond belief (like I said, I'm in VT so rust is a BIG concern.) I hadn't considered an S-10, so I'll add those to my short list.

As much of a Toyota fan as I am, I wouldn't consider an early Tacoma in Vermont. The frame rust is too bad in that era of truck. The pre-Tacoma ('95 and older) is fine (but you probably won't find one around there anyway), and the new Tacomas are better, but that era is just garbage for rust.

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2017

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
So I've decided on a '17 Golf Wolfsburg (MSRP ~23k), but with all these comments about VW's compromised position and all that, how much is reasonable to expect off of MSRP? People keep posting listings from Sheehy, but aren't they just doing the same stupid "internet price" thing (i.e., assuming you qualify for all possible incentives/discounts) that all the area VW dealers are?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big City Drinkin posted:

So I've decided on a '17 Golf Wolfsburg (MSRP ~23k), but with all these comments about VW's compromised position and all that, how much is reasonable to expect off of MSRP? People keep posting listings from Sheehy, but aren't they just doing the same stupid "internet price" thing (i.e., assuming you qualify for all possible incentives/discounts) that all the area VW dealers are?

Do a nationwide search for what you want. Sheehy is about 1.2-1.5k lower than what you'd actually pay since they don't include dealer fee or freight. Ask what incentives they are baking in as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unload My Head posted:

I seem to recall that there were a few overlap years where you could get the SOHC or the OHV engine, but JnnyThndr may be right about it being a hard switch in '00. Best just to go see it and pop the hood.

Those pics are garbage but it looks relatively clean. Flame stickers = idiot owner, and ladder rack = contractor so inspect thoroughly for dumb mods/damage/neglect/overloading/abuse/ect. That said, it looks like a good deal to me.

As much of a Toyota fan as I am, I wouldn't consider an early Tacoma in Vermont. The frame rust is too bad in that era of truck. The pre-Tacoma ('95 and older) is fine (but you probably won't find one around there anyway), and the new Tacomas are better, but that era is just garbage for rust.

I will nth that B4000 looking like a good deal as long as it has the older OHV and not the SOHC 4.0. Though with mileage that low you could probably drive a SOHC quite a while before the timing chains become an issue.

For me, Tacomas were off the list because the prices are just out of whack. A 1998 Tacoma is better than a 1998 Ranger, but the Ranger is priced like (and better than) a 1988 Toyota.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

IOwnCalculus posted:

For me, Tacomas were off the list because the prices are just out of whack. A 1998 Tacoma is better than a 1998 Ranger, but the Ranger is priced like (and better than) a 1988 Toyota.

Oh yeah, Toyota Tax is for real, and prices are genuinly about a decade off.

As a buyer, if you just want reliability and don't care about creature comforts I'll strongly disagree that a '98 Ranger is 'better' than an '88 Toyota though. Cost of ownership even on a high-mile Toyota is comically low compared to any other mini truck. That '98 Ranger is going to use far more gas and break down far more often.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm debating between leasing a 2017 Nissan Leaf and a 2017 Chevrolet Volt for my next daily driver, in less than a month. I'm leaning toward the Volt since it looks nicer and the base package seems a bit more kitted out, and the extra mileage on the gas engine of course. I drive maybe 20 miles a work day, and less than that on average on weekends (I don't get out much). I probably won't be able to get a 220v outlet since I live in an apartment complex, so trickle charging at 110v is my only option.

Besides the leaf being a little cheaper, does anyone have any advice to offer on which I should choose? (e: I asked this once before and Volt was the consensus, but now that 2017's been out a while I figured if any problems with either car had appeared I'd want to know about them.)

(edit)

nm posted:

If you drive anything but an obnoxiously green mazda 2, the you should re-evaluate your econo car color choices.
I saw one of these on the road today and kind of wanted to puke up my breakfast and compare colors

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 15, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thanks for the help everyone. Taking a look at it today.

I'm not a big car guy. I can pop the hood w/ the engine running and notice obvious things wrong, but I don't think I could tell an OHV from a SOHC engine. I tried to find pictures of one vs the other, didn't come up too successful. I did find a picture of what the SOHC looks like from 2000, so I saved it to my phone and I guess I'll just see if the engine in the truck does or doesn't look like the one I saved.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thanks for the help everyone. Taking a look at it today.

I'm not a big car guy. I can pop the hood w/ the engine running and notice obvious things wrong, but I don't think I could tell an OHV from a SOHC engine. I tried to find pictures of one vs the other, didn't come up too successful. I did find a picture of what the SOHC looks like from 2000, so I saved it to my phone and I guess I'll just see if the engine in the truck does or doesn't look like the one I saved.

IIRC, most/all SOHC 4.0's have a bigass plastic cover right on top of the engine(over the throttle body) that has "SOHC 4.0" embossed on it in 2" letters, so that should make it easier.

Also, according to the Rangerstation,
the Ranger used the OHV motor until the end of 2000, no exceptions. It was the Explorer that was wonky and used both engines starting in late 1997. My big snap-on scanner says that the VIN code for OHV engines is 'X', while the SOHC uses 'E'.(8th digit of the VIN).

Good luck!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hi friends!

Proposed Budget: 20k
New or Used: Either works
Body Style: Compact SUV/Crossover
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, weekend warrior trail riding (light stuff, no rock crawling), towing dirt bikes
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I've only driven crappy cars up til now so I'd like something newer and fancy this time around.
What aspects are most important to you?: I need something to support my weekend warrior dreams of adventure and fun and outdoors. So AWD/4x4 reliability and cost are my primary considerations here.

So far I have been researching and come up with this short list so far:
1) Subaru Crosstrek: I like the way these look but they seem to be universally panned as underpowered? Upside is that they are priced the cheapest for what you get and the AWD is supposedly very good.
2) Jeep Renegade Trailhawk: I also like the way these look and their offroad chops appear to be even better than the Crosstrek's. Jeep reliability lately seems to be in the dumps though...
3) Subaru Outback: It's a bit of a stretch budget wise but it checks the same boxes as the Crosstrek and has x mode for snow and stuff? Also a bigger motor in the 2.5

What else should I look at?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Don't buy a rebodied fiat 500x.

Also, basically nothing sold is underpowered. Maybe smarts are. Unless you're going to the drag strip or are scared to press the pedal to the floor (I promise, you won't break it, it is designed to do that), everything on the market will get you up to freeway speeds and up hills just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Renegade generally outscores the Crosstrek in reviews. Yes, it's a Jeep (made by FIAT) so it's going to be less reliable than the Subaru, but compared to how much you're already spending, the extra cost in maintenance isn't going to be all that much.

Buying a car is like buying a pair of shoes. If it doesn't fit, you're going to hate it and resent every penny you spend maintaining it.

Every car is going to need maintenance, and the difference between the best and the worst isn't very big. Get what you like and have fun with it.