Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I think practicing crim requires a certain amount of compassion. As a defence lawyer, you're fighting for your client's rights and minimizing the restrictions on his liberties. If you didn't care about your client on some level, it would be very difficult to put forth a valid and convincing argument at trial or sentencing.
I dunno.
As long as you care about beating the DA because he's a bastard you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nm posted:

I dunno.

What about if the DA is a really nice guy :)

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

nm posted:

I dunno.

That is definitely true for at least one I've encountered so far. The rest have been fairly nice and reasonable.

But having to argue against the same rear end in a top hat all the time would make me quit asap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

prussian advisor posted:

What about if the DA is a really nice guy :)
DAs who think they are nice guys are the worst. Because they're not.
The real nice DAs get fired.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

I think practicing crim requires a certain amount of compassion. As a defence lawyer, you're fighting for your client's rights and minimizing the restrictions on his liberties. If you didn't care about your client on some level, it would be very difficult to put forth a valid and convincing argument at trial or sentencing.

heh

quote:

Maybe my views will change in 5 to 10 years and I'll hate everyone, but if that happens, I shouldn't be practicing since I would be an ineffective counsel.

HEH

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Adar posted:

It's not the jobs/lack thereof, it's that both sides of crim law successfully turn your soul into a black hole even faster than immigration, which itself is pretty high up there with personal injury on the 'you will hate people very quickly' list.

Truth. The first time I had video proof that the story my client told me was bullshit, I could feel what was left of my soul being shattered.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Adar posted:

HEH

Criminal law: Suitable only for the young and naive? I expect my clients to lie to me on some level. The straight up honest ones are refreshing. I've always dealt with criminals in my "real" jobs, so maybe that's why I'm not broken. Or maybe by virtue of dealing with criminals, I am a broken individual.

To be honest, I hear about the work that my friends do for civil and I cannot imagine having to deal with the majority of that work. Reading the civil transcripts and the legal documents for a couple of my files made me want to gouge my eyes out. To each their own, I guess.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
More like criminal law: suitable for those who aren't just "glass half empty", but "glass 90% full? it could be fuller."

And yeah dealing with career / professional criminals is enjoyable when they're just like "yeah, I did it. this is why, this is how. What can we do about it?" In an odd way a drug trafficker with a 4 page criminal record is more credible than a guy popping his cherry, because the trafficker knows you don't care about his poo poo

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Save me jeebus posted:

Lawgunes, I need your take on a situation because I don't know if I'm rightfully pissed or being a big baby.
You're rightfully pissed. Getting a massage during working hours doesn't trump doing your drat job.

Adar posted:

It's callous and might be irresponsible but to be perfectly honest, if I were in his position and got an appointed client that skipped on a plea hearing, I would probably not be going out of my way to help the guy either. This is especially relevant because you have no idea whether he wants to plead again or to delay it 8 more times and FTA another couple of them for completeness' sake.

He had no particular reason to assume the client would want to plead on the spot or (for example) that the judge wouldn't just deny it anyway because judges get pissed. I think I'd agree/would definitely sigh and reschedule my life if I knew this guy would be out that day otherwise, but not without some evidence of that.
The entirety of your job is to help the guy - that's why you've been appointed. Go do your drat job. This is especially relevant because you have no idea whether he wants to plead or delay. This isn't your case, it's his. Once you find out what he wants, then you can act. Your default position should be to be in court to defend the person you have a duty to defend. In the absence of... gosh, going to jail and taking to your client, it's usually safe to assume you client wants out of jail - and there's no way that can happen if you can't be bothered to do your job.

Adar posted:

It's not the jobs/lack thereof, it's that both sides of crim law successfully turn your soul into a black hole even faster than immigration, which itself is pretty high up there with personal injury on the 'you will hate people very quickly' list.
Thankfully, the black holes vary by individual. For me, prosecution work and insurance defense started to turn my soul black. On the other hand, doing criminal defense is where I belong.

nm posted:

DAs who think they are nice guys are the worst. Because they're not.
The real nice DAs get fired.
Or quit. This is truth.

Vander posted:

Truth. The first time I had video proof that the story my client told me was bullshit, I could feel what was left of my soul being shattered.
Cops lie, DAs lie, witnesses lie, complaining witnesses lie. Why is it so different if your client lies? They've got somebody to stand up for them, why shouldn't an accused have somebody like that? Clients, like everyone else, are fallible, imperfect beings - often very imperfect.
Your job as a defense counsel is to protect those who have fallen short of perfection from the wrath of those who believe they have attained it.[/sloganeering]

Criminal law: Suitable only for the young and naive? I expect my clients to lie to me on some level. The straight up honest ones are refreshing. I've always dealt with criminals in my "real" jobs, so maybe that's why I'm not broken. Or maybe by virtue of dealing with criminals, I am a broken individual.

To be honest, I hear about the work that my friends do for civil and I cannot imagine having to deal with the majority of that work. Reading the civil transcripts and the legal documents for a couple of my files made me want to gouge my eyes out. To each their own, I guess.

Willful innocence is my version of naivete. We're all broken - for some of us, helping others with their brokenness helps our own.
And crim law is fun and vital in a way that civil law is only very rarely.

hypocrite lecteur posted:

More like criminal law: suitable for those who aren't just "glass half empty", but "glass 90% full? it could be fuller."

And yeah dealing with career / professional criminals is enjoyable when they're just like "yeah, I did it. this is why, this is how. What can we do about it?" In an odd way a drug trafficker with a 4 page criminal record is more credible than a guy popping his cherry, because the trafficker knows you don't care about his poo poo
I love clients like this.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

That is definitely true for at least one I've encountered so far. The rest have been fairly nice and reasonable.

But having to argue against the same rear end in a top hat all the time would make me quit asap.

I've done both civil and criminal law and even the worst DA doesn't hold a candle to the horror show opposing counsel can be on a civil case (mostly because there are so few discovery fights in criminal law compared to civil, plus no incentive to run up the bill on both sides). Hilariously enough, my criminal clients are dreams compared to my old family law clients.

Hell, I do criminal defense now and I've seriously never been happier since I started practicing law. A case against a predictable opponent with few to no discovery issues where I only concentrate on negotiations and jury trials? Yes please, any day.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 15, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

A case against a predictable opponent with few to no discovery issues where I only concentrate on negotiations and jury trials? Yes please, any day.
No to few discover issues? Not in California, where I have to actually have a court order the DA hand over my client's own rap sheet. Woooo
Not to mention a 50 day process to find out if the police department knows if the cop is a racist pig who beats people up. Brady v. Maryland? gently caress son, you in Cali not Mary Land, read Pitchess. CA Supreme Court trumps Federal Supreme Court in this house.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nm posted:

No to few discover issues? Not in California, where I have to actually have a court order the DA hand over my client's own rap sheet. Woooo
Not to mention a 50 day process to find out if the police department knows if the cop is a racist pig who beats people up. Brady v. Maryland? gently caress son, you in Cali not Mary Land, read Pitchess. CA Supreme Court trumps Federal Supreme Court in this house.

It must be nice to have a forum to litigate discovery issues in criminal cases. In my state that isn't an issue because defendants have so few rights to discovery anymore that there simply isn't much to fight over. :) Generally I'm entitled to look at (notice I didn't say 'get copies of') any documents that make it into the DA's file and view videos. That's about it.

Imagine my surprise the day I realized that a civil litigant suing over some petty bullshit has far more sweeping powers of discovery than a guy facing life in prison.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 15, 2011

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Pfff, acting like a good old fashioned civil litigation discovery dump isn't the height of hilarity.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Sucks to be y'all then. I get a copy of literally everything the prosecution has on my clients that they aren't ethically barred from handing over.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

I hate Pitchess motions.

The entire concept of them just boggles the mind. Keep in mind too that the most likely thing I am going to get out of a Pitchess motion is the identity of somebody who has made a complaint against that cop previously. Meaning the chances I get to use it at trial are slim even after a successful motion turns something up -- the story has got to be credible, corroborated, emotionally appealing, and similar enough to my clients' to make it worthwhile to put on.

I also love the time limit. What is it, 5 years? My client's 17 year old embezzlement conviction for taking $20 from the till at Taco Bell comes in to gently caress him if he testifies, but a cop who was found in an internal investigation to have blatantly lied on his police reports 6 years ago is shielded by "officer privacy" concerns and can testify secure that the defense attorney doesn't even know about the incident.

Also what a waste of money. Cities hire expensive outside counsel to fight these motions tooth and nail even if the officer's personnel file is empty.

rough transcript of my last Pitchess hearing:

"So you see your honor, as set forth in my client's affidavit, he was acting non-violently and non-threateningly when the cops decided to gang-tackle him, dislocate his shoulder, and beat the stuffing out of him."

"Well yes srsly, and quite honestly, that's not too different from what is in the police reports. Just a matter of interpretation as to what might be violent or threatening. I don't think there's enough of a difference here to get into that file."

"Yes, a matter of interpretation for the jury, your honor. My client should be allowed to present evidence of other incidents, should they exist, to show that the officers' interpretation of his actions was unreasonable."

"If this were a trial it would be a matter for the jury, but this is a Pitchess motion! I make the call!"

"It's a prima facie standard your honor. If you're saying that the question would survive a directed verdict and make it to the jury, I've met my burden in this hearing."*

"Huh? Um, no.. that's not what I am saying... um... why don't I give you a chance to gather more evidence? We'll continue the hearing. 3 weeks?"

"The DA, my co-counsel, and my client will be thrilled to hear it. Thank you your honor."

*(this is correct as to the affirmative defense use of the evidence, but not to the state's case in chief use)

srsly fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 15, 2011

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow that sucks. Get some new supreme court justices or something, how can you have a fair trial / make full answer and defence when you're not entitled to know the case you have to meet

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Vander posted:

Sucks to be y'all then. I get a copy of literally everything the prosecution has on my clients that they aren't ethically barred from handing over.

Yeah our office has a well defined list of things we automatically provide. I literally ignore motions to compel or just give them to the discovery paralegals if there's a legit problem.

Also I had my new favorite hearing. A meth head victim demanded seven grand for a dented tree at a restitution hearing. The tree was flourishing quite nicely, and the defendant had several pictures showing this, and drat was it hilarious watching someone argue the intrinsic value of "God's creation."

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

BigHead posted:

Also I had my new favorite hearing. A meth head victim demanded seven grand for a dented tree at a restitution hearing. The tree was flourishing quite nicely, and the defendant had several pictures showing this, and drat was it hilarious watching someone argue the intrinsic value of "God's creation."

The best part of morning calendar starts whenever the judge says 'and you're appearing pro per?'

Sometimes you get impassioned ranting. Sometimes you get a tearful rambling speech. Sometimes you get some really sad story about a couple or whoever about to lose their home.

The best ending is when the judge sympathizes, and says 'I can't give you legal advice, but' and then tells them exactly what to do.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Copernic posted:

The best part of morning calendar starts whenever the judge says 'and you're appearing pro per?'

Sometimes you get impassioned ranting. Sometimes you get a tearful rambling speech. Sometimes you get some really sad story about a couple or whoever about to lose their home.

My favorite is having to take recess to clean the courtroom because the pro se literally bloodied his hand on the table, slamming it to emphasize his point every time. Even after the court noted the bleeding on the record. Yes, he kept slamming his hand after that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Copernic posted:

Ooohoho.

What lands on my desk right as I read this but a reporters transcript for some civil trial

On the face:

APPEARANCES:
FOR THE PETITIONER: John Doe
IN PRO PER
FOR THE RESPONDENT: Jane Doe
IN PRO PER

Fun awaits, I'm sure.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Copernic posted:

Oh my victim wasn't pro per, she was a victim in a criminal proceeding. As the prosecutor, I was nominally on her side. My entire oral argument boiled down to "your honor the victim articulates her loss much better than I can." Hence the hilarity that I technically argued a dent in bark was worth seven grand.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

nm posted:

Ooohoho.

What lands on my desk right as I read this but a reporters transcript for some civil trial

On the face:

APPEARANCES:
FOR THE PETITIONER: John Doe
IN PRO PER
FOR THE RESPONDENT: Jane Doe
IN PRO PER

Fun awaits, I'm sure.
Holy crap, I want to go back in time and scream "objection, narrative" at the top of my lungs.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

BigHead posted:

It isn't just laypeople that do this. My favorite part of literally every federal civil rights lawsuit I've been involved in is reading the complaint for the first time and coming to the portion where the plaintiffs' attorney channels his inner poet and waxes on and on about how a dollar value cannot possibly compensate for the horrors wrought on his client by the (alleged) violation of his civil rights.

The best example I have of this is the assertion made by one attorney that an (alleged) violation of the civil rights of his client (a violent felon with an extensive criminal record dating back to the instant he could walk) resulted in him giving up on his lifelong dream of becoming a police officer due to his loss of faith in the system.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

cerebral posted:

It isn't just laypeople that do this. My favorite part of literally every federal civil rights lawsuit I've been involved in is reading the complaint for the first time and coming to the portion where the plaintiffs' attorney channels his inner poet and waxes on and on about how a dollar value cannot possibly compensate for the horrors wrought on his client by the (alleged) violation of his civil rights.

The best example I have of this is the assertion made by one attorney that an (alleged) violation of the civil rights of his client (a violent felon with an extensive criminal record dating back to the instant he could walk) resulted in him giving up on his lifelong dream of becoming a police officer due to his loss of faith in the system.

Clearly we should have thrown the perp in the clanker when he started his reign of terror (walking age)

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Your honor, he unlawfully entered the kitchen after bedtime with the intent to steal a cookie.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Loving the swarm of lawgoons hitting up the JD or MBA thread. But seriously, when and how did people get the idea that a law degree helps with consulting?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

Loving the swarm of lawgoons hitting up the JD or MBA thread.

Whenever someone tells me they're going to go to law school, it's now instinctual to tell them "Don't do it."

Then when they tell you what school they were accepted to and are so proud, it's so hard to crush their dreams. :(

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
It's not always tough. A guy in my fraternity is starting law school at Valpo (full tuition, obviously) this year. I bet him $100 that he wouldn't have a legal job or would be making less than $30k after he graduated. Jokes on me though because he'll have no money haha!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Well starting the first day of my job with the Michigan Court of Appeals Research Division tomorrow after two days of mind-numbing computer training. So far the government life seems pretty sweet...flexible start/end time, 40 hours, no weekends, good benefits...if my state doesn't resume having unpaid furlough days to save money and Snyder doesn't give a bunch of people the ax, life seems pretty good for the next couple years.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Checking in after a long time!

Starting my 3L Fall at Florida; have a job after graduation locked down. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that all year.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Bad interview + return to alcohol + wall of work = gently caress this noise.

Hey guys, good luck this year (since it's start[ed]/[ing soon])!

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 2, 2013

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Doing OCI as a 3L is the saddest thing, just throwing that out there

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Checking in after a long time!

Starting my 3L Fall at Florida; have a job after graduation locked down. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that all year.

What job?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Got hit by a car while biking home today.

Thought I was ok and was kind of in shock so I waved the motorist off and told him I was fine when he came back to check on me.

Then found out my bike was wrecked (frame all bent) and I'll have to pay for a new one out of pocket.

Was going to make some sort of crack about being an anti-ambulance chaser but instead I think I'll just go to bed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I just got a call from my brother in law, who's a 3L at a nosebleed university. He got an offer from one of his two summer associate positions he had this summer. Luckily, it's from his dream firm. Unluckily, they want to defer him until 2013. Normally I would say sweet because my sister has a bun in the oven and she kinda wants to keep working anyway, but the odd thing is that the firm didn't offer him a stipend.

Is it normal for firms to offer 1 year deferments without any stipends whatsoever? I ask because they, like, need money and diapers and stuff and have asked me my opinion on negotiations with a firm that extends an offer, something I know nothing about.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

BigHead posted:

Unluckily, they want to defer him until 2013. Normally I would say sweet because my sister has a bun in the oven and she kinda wants to keep working anyway, but the odd thing is that the firm didn't offer him a stipend.

This doesn't seem like an offer to me.

molomoloch
Jun 9, 2010
My One-L year starts next week at Southwestern! All I can hear is the cha-ching of the cash register. Half scholarship yo

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

molomoloch posted:

My One-L year starts next week at Southwestern! All I can hear is the cha-ching of the cash register. Half scholarship yo

You got in to Michigan, Georgetown, Texas ... and chose Southwestern? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molomoloch
Jun 9, 2010
Half scholarship for the win!