Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If it's only for six months and not the full contract who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Last I checked Amazon does not have ETFs for Sprint phones, likely because sprint pays more of an upfront commission for resellers rather than a monthly one.

Who knows for wirefly, but I wouldn't buy from them anyway. They always seem to give people issues.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
This does not exclude sprint but it doesn't mention any carrier specifically

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201077490

Also $400 ETF for smart phones loving crazy.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

This does not exclude sprint but it doesn't mention any carrier specifically

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201077490

Also $400 ETF for smart phones loving crazy.

Wow so if you order a phone with a carrier and 30 days later you move or get bad coverage you would be looking at $700 ($400 Amazon + $300 carrier) worth of ETF to switch carriers? Ow.

Guess I'll stick with prepaid I can't believe how upside down Telco has become.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stick100 posted:

Wow so if you order a phone with a carrier and 30 days later you move or get bad coverage you would be looking at $700 ($400 Amazon + $300 carrier) worth of ETF to switch carriers? Ow.

Guess I'll stick with prepaid I can't believe how upside down Telco has become.

If you order a phone at a discount.

You can do post paid and still pay full price for your phone just like on prepaid (though on sprint apparently you have to get atleast a 2 year regardless of taking a subsidy or not)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/sprint-subway/

Sprint is going to have coverage in NYC subways starting early next year. Between that and LTE being in a good portion of places in NYC/Brooklyn, I'm almost hopeful it'll make its way to where I am in NJ before my contract is up.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
What are the options for lowering / getting rid of your etf? My family has just under a year left on our contract and we just recently moved to pennsylvania from florida. My dad drives a truck for a gas company and the main areas he works out of are in ohio where sprint coverage seems non-existent. I spoke to someone in cancellations and they said because our home address is in a coverage area there's nothing to be done about the etf.

Our service at the house is ok at best with one bar upstairs and zero in the basement. Is there really nothing to be done about the etf aside from getting kicked off from roaming? I'd be up for returning our phones to sprint if they'd wave it. If my dad didn't require the phone for work to contact him the roaming trick would be ok.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If the phones are worth anything sell them to pay the ETF.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Two of them are the galaxy nexus and the other two are cheapo smartphones. Can maybe get just under half of the etf from selling the phones.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Destoration posted:

Two of them are the galaxy nexus and the other two are cheapo smartphones. Can maybe get just under half of the etf from selling the phones.

Force roam on verizon.
Change billing to somewhere with no coverage.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Holy poo poo there is no service in South Carolina.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Holy poo poo there is no service in South Carolina.

No, there isn't.

I was just able to recover my full $200 ETF by selling my S3 on eBay. My switch to Verizon hasn't been that painful. I'm paying a little more, but at least there's a loving infrastructure now.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I got a callback from retentions earlier and they will waive the etf if we send our phones back to them. So I went out and signed up with vz earlier. Got some S3s. Bye sprint hope to see you again sometime :(

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Having a tough time finding an app that's free or otherwise for tethering my phone to my netbook for internet. Netbook doesn't have bluetooth so it'd have to be wifi or usb tethering. Sprint doesn't seem to offer it unless you pay their fees, which I'd rather not do. Any suggestions?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ceebee posted:

Having a tough time finding an app that's free or otherwise for tethering my phone to my netbook for internet. Netbook doesn't have bluetooth so it'd have to be wifi or usb tethering. Sprint doesn't seem to offer it unless you pay their fees, which I'd rather not do. Any suggestions?
FoxFi.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
FoxFi doesn't work unless you're rooted. Sprint still blocks it - we tried it on my father-in-law's phone and it wouldn't do a drat thing.

Switching to ETFs, Sprint is tacking on Fees and Taxes to my ETF. Can they do that, or can I call them up and tell them to remove them? I can't see how they can charge me for anything since I'm not using their service anymore...

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ceebee posted:

Easy tether. Check the free and if it works pay the $10. The free doesn't allow https.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mstream.easytether_polyclef&hl=en

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 25, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ceebee posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.tether

There you go. No root needed.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

berzerkmonkey posted:

Switching to ETFs, Sprint is tacking on Fees and Taxes to my ETF. Can they do that, or can I call them up and tell them to remove them? I can't see how they can charge me for anything since I'm not using their service anymore...

Sprint got hit in NY for not charging enough taxes on things. Do my assumption is that it's a tax they have to charge. As far as fees you may be able to talk to then about that. They probably really don't care about making you happy though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Giblet posted:

Sprint got hit in NY for not charging enough taxes on things. Do my assumption is that it's a tax they have to charge. As far as fees you may be able to talk to then about that. They probably really don't care about making you happy though.
Yeah, probably not. Still seems weird that they can charge fees and taxes for a service that I no longer have.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I just got a check from Sprint for $35 due to an ETF settlement that I was apparently a part of. I don't remember joining any class action lawsuits, though. I left Sprint about 7 months ago without an ETF due to forcing roaming on Verizon. I've never paid an ETF to Sprint in the past. Does anyone know why I got this check? It's for Larson, et al. v. Sprint Nextel Corporation Civ. Action No. 2:07-cv-05325 (JLL-ES) Settlement Agreement.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I had problems using any tether app unrooted (or rooted) on my gnex. The only one I got to work for more than 5 minutes was the one built into CM10. Maybe just because of the slow as poo poo 3g I had for most of my time with them.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Welp, the poor guy I sold my phone to is having issues activating it. They can't seem to swap the ESN from my account to his (despite my account being paid up with no lines). We even went as far as getting him conferenced into my call so they could get his account details. Uggggh. It was my first eBay sale too. :gonk: Fortunately, the buyer is super understanding about the whole ordeal.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ninmeister posted:

I was visiting my brother in Batavia NY which got some of the first round of Buffalo NV upgrades (3G) only and wow, it makes an actual difference. I was getting constant 1.35Mbps. Actually using my phone felt good.

Gives me a little hope for Sprint at least. I imagine they will dash that with some other BS.

I'm getting about 1.20 Mbps in Amherst on 3g. Can anyone post the S4guru site upgrade list for this week please?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

dundun posted:

I'm getting about 1.20 Mbps in Amherst on 3g. Can anyone post the S4guru site upgrade list for this week please?
The S4GRU admin is on vacation and he seems to be posting the big updates every few weeks. If you want daily or semi-weekly updates, watch this public thread.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Destoration posted:

I had problems using any tether app unrooted (or rooted) on my gnex. The only one I got to work for more than 5 minutes was the one built into CM10. Maybe just because of the slow as poo poo 3g I had for most of my time with them.

Unrooted Easy Tether Carrier has worked rock solid for months. I'm in an LTE area and it's been blazing fast.

Using about 1gb/day.

Edit: 160 ping 1Mbps up and down. Guess it's not been that blazing.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2013

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

azurite posted:

Welp, the poor guy I sold my phone to is having issues activating it. They can't seem to swap the ESN from my account to his (despite my account being paid up with no lines). We even went as far as getting him conferenced into my call so they could get his account details. Uggggh. It was my first eBay sale too. :gonk: Fortunately, the buyer is super understanding about the whole ordeal.

I would go to a corporate store and have them call sales support

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Saw three separate crews today working on 3 towers around town hoisting new RRU's, maybe this means people will finally stop complaining about their poor dropped calls and signal :dance:

That's just fantasy isn't it :ohdear:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Saw three separate crews today working on 3 towers around town hoisting new RRU's, maybe this means people will finally stop complaining about their poor dropped calls and signal :dance:

I get around 1Mb/s outside my office building now. At my desk I still struggle for a signal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeaborneClink posted:

Until Sprint fixes its "town bicycle" issue with MVNOs I think they're going to continue to have less than desirable speeds. QoS prioritizing doesn't remove people from existence.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="417809714"]
I just got a check from Sprint for $35 due to an ETF settlement that I was apparently a part of. I don't remember joining any class action lawsuits, though. I left Sprint about 7 months ago without an ETF due to forcing roaming on Verizon. I've never paid an ETF to Sprint in the past. Does anyone know why I got this check? It's for Larson, et al. v. Sprint Nextel Corporation Civ. Action No. 2:07-cv-05325 (JLL-ES) Settlement Agreement.

I got one of those a few days ago too. I've currently got Sprint and have had it since 1999, with a few year break back then, but I've never paid an ETF. Oh well - free money.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Entire Universe posted:

Until Sprint fixes its "town bicycle" issue with MVNOs I think they're going to continue to have less than desirable speeds. QoS prioritizing doesn't remove people from existence.
Nothin' a little more fiber can't handle.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

What's stopping Sprint from either charging more to the MVNO's, throttling the gently caress out of them, or both? At least until NV is up and running and can (hopefully) handle all those users.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

No, point is that, when they're replacing one of panels on a tower, they're going to take that set offline. Thus creating a situation where the area serviced by that side of the array is obviously no longer being serviced by that set of panels causing people in that area to connect to a tower further away and thus lower signal.

While I completely sympathize with having temporary problems caused by 3/9 panels being literally unplugged and on the ground, no amount of trying to explain whats going on seems to get processed.

:mad: But I wasn't having problems before!
:eng101: Like last week?
:mad: I don't know
:eng101: So yes, that's because there's literally a man 60 feet in the air dismantling the old lovely network infrastructure, trying to improve your quality of service!
:mad: BUT I DON'T HAVE GOOD SIGNAL RIGHT NOW
:eng99:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

No, point is that, when they're replacing one of panels on a tower, they're going to take that set offline. Thus creating a situation where the area serviced by that side of the array is obviously no longer being serviced by that set of panels causing people in that area to connect to a tower further away and thus lower signal.

While I completely sympathize with having temporary problems caused by 3/9 panels being literally unplugged and on the ground, no amount of trying to explain whats going on seems to get processed.

:eng101: So yes, that's because there's literally a man 60 feet in the air dismantling the old lovely network infrastructure, trying to improve your quality of service!

My IAE told me to say literally "pardon our dust," then to smile sheepishly and shrug.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeaborneClink posted:

That misses my point. I am saying that the sheer mass of MVNO customers Sprint has will be a drag on the network post-NV. Unless they start going full Hitler on them and throttling them to under 200kb/s with caps of 2GB or less you're going to basically have Sprint continue to be the slowpoke, even with LTE fully deployed. A faster slowpoke, but still getting 2-3MB/s where all other carriers are getting 8-10MB/s.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

That misses my point. I am saying that the sheer mass of MVNO customers Sprint has will be a drag on the network post-NV. Unless they start going full Hitler on them and throttling them to under 200kb/s with caps of 2GB or less you're going to basically have Sprint continue to be the slowpoke, even with LTE fully deployed. A faster slowpoke, but still getting 2-3MB/s where all other carriers are getting 8-10MB/s.

Considering the money Sprint gets from it I doubt they care.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sure, but at after a certain point, faster speeds don't matter all that much for anything but edge cases and wanking over Speedtest screenshots. A network that can't maintain a couple hundred kbps is useless for a lot of modern apps. But, once you're past the ~1 MB/s barrier, you can take care of the biggest popular bandwidth hog - streaming 720p-class video - without issues. Sure, a few things might be a bit faster with higher speeds, and it's always nice to have more overhead. But if Sprint can stay fairly cheap, offer generous data caps, and keep ahead of the "good enough" line, they'll still have plenty of business.

Also, when and where do you expect 10 MB/s speeds from any major carrier? Yeah, the LTE air interface is theoretically capable of that and more, but you're talking about something significantly better than even top-tier consumer wired service from most (non-FttP) carriers. And, at some point you'll start running into network stack limitations on the phone, too - because really, how the hell do you expect to use ten megabytes of data per second on a phone?

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 28, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

A faster slowpoke, but still getting 2-3MB/s where all other carriers are getting 8-10MB/s.
I'm not seeing a problem here. Great value and perfectly good speeds. I'd rather Sprint invest money in deploying towers and converting iDEN towers to Sprint. No need to play a silly numbers game if it's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The new pricing scheme brings Sprint into line with the other carriers, though. That's the problem. Sure, the difference between 2MB/s and 6 is academic, but that's operating under an assumption that Sprint's 3G post-NV will be comparable to that of the other carriers and that the LTE coverage area is equivalent, that penetration is similar, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad NV is finally hitting Omaha. I'm saying that in other areas, assuming all carriers are available with LTE, Sprint's losing the edge in pricing to T-Mobile and the billboard numbers battle to basically everyone else. Get to somewhere where NV hasn't hit AND someone like T-Mo is covering and you've got a problem. Hopefully they back off the ledge that is that lovely, lovely pricing scheme and continues to press down on prices, but with comparable speeds post-NV.