Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Momomo posted:

I hate P4's dungeons because while they're technically "better", they're still pretty lovely and you can't even just skip the rooms easily like with Tartarus. Shadows were also a million times harder to dodge and it was tedious as all hell sometimes.

Oh yeah, I liked the way Tartarus was laid out better than how dungeons were in P4 but holy moly Tartarus as a whole was just boring and lazy and stretched on way too long.

Maybe Persona 5 will merge the two and we will have a perfect balance.

Or maybe it will find some new way to annoy the hell out of people. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I always liked Tartarus. I mean sure it got a bit repetitive with only occasional bosses to identify any given floor, but so did the TV dungeons except for like, the Dragon Quest one. I liked having all the main dungeons in the same place, and seeing the floor numbers slowly but steadily climb into the hundreds gave a concrete sense of progress across the whole game. Plus each block looked as visually distinct as the TV dungeons did. I also liked having your final boss rush against Strega at the top and then facing Nyx half a mile in the sky instead of facing Ameno-Sagiri in some random shadow Inaba you'd not seen or heard of the week before. Made it all seem so much more dramatic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, I found dodging shadows extremely easy to do in P4. It'd be nice if low level ones ran from you still (though gently caress the wailing they did, that was so annoying) but it's really not hard to just walk around anything you don't want to fight. Well, just so long as there isn't a golden hand near one that you want dead. My least favorite thing about the P4 dungeon compared to Tartarus is that you don't get money in chests anymore. It was so much easier to get money in P3 when you could get over 500k a pop.

Though while we're talking about bad things in Persona, give the characters not in the active party experience for gently caress sake. :argh:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I liked P4's dungeons because I'd abuse the after battle tarot cards to restore my MP and cleared all of the dungeons except for Yukiko's in 1 day :v:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I liked P4's dungeons because I'd abuse the after battle tarot cards to restore my MP and cleared all of the dungeons except for Yukiko's in 1 day :v:

That's not an option in the console version. Only way to restore MP outside of items is that drat rip off fox.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That's not an option in the console version. Only way to restore MP outside of items is that drat rip off fox.

Nope, the upright Judgment card from Arcana Chance will restore the party's SP to max. It is admittedly pretty rare.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Getting Judgment on the Arcana Chance can fill all SP if you win.

E:f,b

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I've always loved the way the SP items were written/named.

"OK Yukiko you've sacrificed large amounts of your immortal soul to call forth lashings of flame to save us from these monsters. So, slam a couple of colas, chew some gum, you'll be 100% in no time."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Nope, the upright Judgment card from Arcana Chance will restore the party's SP to max.

Oh right. Dur. I pretty much never get that, because Atlus' RNG hates me, so I forgot about that.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
And that's why I fused the highest rank of Invigorate I had access to onto basically everything. Up until the endgame when Rise has the skills that have your party regain hp/sp after every fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Invigorate/Regenerate never seem worth it to me. Victory Cry or bust. Shame the card is on Izanagi-no-Okami and costs 500k.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Invigorate/Regenerate never seem worth it to me. Victory Cry or bust. Shame the card is on Izanagi-no-Okami and costs 500k.

Lucifer learns it naturally in the PS2 version but it takes some time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno, I found dodging shadows extremely easy to do in P4. It'd be nice if low level ones ran from you still (though gently caress the wailing they did, that was so annoying) but it's really not hard to just walk around anything you don't want to fight. Well, just so long as there isn't a golden hand near one that you want dead. My least favorite thing about the P4 dungeon compared to Tartarus is that you don't get money in chests anymore. It was so much easier to get money in P3 when you could get over 500k a pop.

Though while we're talking about bad things in Persona, give the characters not in the active party experience for gently caress sake. :argh:

I prefer the Dungeons in P1 and P2 because they're actual locations in the city they take place in.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I know in the original Persona 4 it was possible to get Victory Cry as early as the early 30's by skill mutating Tetrakarn. Was that still possible in Golden?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A Bystander posted:

Lucifer learns it naturally in the PS2 version but it takes some time.

I think Lucifer just starts with it in Golden. That or you get it anyway since he's the ultimate persona of Judgement. I'm talking about the card though, not the skill itself.

WrightOfWay posted:

I know in the original Persona 4 it was possible to get Victory Cry as early as the early 30's by skill mutating Tetrakarn. Was that still possible in Golden?

Yeah you can still mutate a skill into Victory Cry. Would kinda break the game though.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Oh right. Dur. I pretty much never get that, because Atlus' RNG hates me, so I forgot about that.

Yeah, it was Judgement Card ( I think there might be another too) abuse I was talking about. I got it by chance right as I was running out in Kanji's dungeon and then on purposely sought it for every dungeon thereafter. And yeah, I fused Spirit Drain onto everything I had.

Another thing I like more in P2 was that MP regenerated as you walked and you could buy MP healing items.

^^^I spent a few hours trying to do that. Uggghhhhh.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gogmagog should be able to pick up Focus in Nocturne from one of its ingredients easily, right? He does have 22 strength, but the game can be a little weird about that kind of thing sometimes.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're right, but that's the problem with making it a fighting game with a tournament structure. If you want to follow one true narrative and show everyone's parts from their perspective, what do you do with the people that get knocked out in round one? They lose their reason to fight and couldn't move on anyway. Even if you remove the "invisible walls block progress" thing, that just breaks the rest of the narrative. The fighting game aspect does not serve the story and the story does not serve the game. This is my biggest issue with Arena really, it's a poor sequel. If it were just a silly side thing it'd be fine, it's generally funny when it tries to be and the characters are still fun (except Yu). But it's not a side thing, it's the canon sequel. They should have just made the visual novel or whatever since that's like 90% of the game anyway and left the fighting game to the side like PQ. I'm betting that rhythm game and P4A2 will have the same issues.

I mean yeah, it's not that big a deal with a simple solution (ie, don't buy the games) but I still find it annoying. :shrug:

Like the other guy said, the biggest problem with the narrative is that they force themselves to do a story campaign for everyone and they tend to retread A TON of material. The invisible wall thing though is a really lazy way to implement the whole tournament structure though. They coulda just made the whole thing like Tartarus where the place changes all the time and in this case depending on the winners and losers. Also, I'm sure that those that lost in the first round are just stuck to wait for their next challenger in the losers bracket.

Should they have made it canon? Probably not. But it honestly doesn't really bother me at all since the whole thing feels like an extra story tacked on instead that you could honestly take it or leave it. I'm pretty sure no one is going to die and there's a big chance that none of this will tie into P5.

Either way you take it, I appreciate them doing something cool with the franchise like a fighter. It's far more welcome than a loving pandering-rear end rhythm game that every Japanese company wants to do now and make sure the Vita gets buried in them. Why can't the Vita take a break? :smith:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you don't want to play as a smooth-rear end dancing Yu Narukami I don't know what to tell you.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
You can start by telling me that I'm a well-adjusted adult and an attractive man.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Proto Cloud posted:

You can start by telling me that I'm a well-adjusted adult and an attractive man.

What kind of well-adjusted attractive male doesn't want to learn slick disco moves from imaginary Japanese teens?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like rhythm games, so this recent trend is good for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Proto Cloud posted:

He says, playing games that prominently feature dick-shaped demons.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm not sure I'll pick up Dancing All Night, personally. I was not really a big fan of Rise or rhythm games, so I don't really see the appeal. I hope you guys enjoy it though :)! I am excited about PQ, Arena 2, and of course P5.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dancing All Night looks like the team knows its silly as poo poo and are just going to run with it. There's nothing wrong with tongue-in-cheek silliness every once and a while.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not sure I'll pick up Dancing All Night, personally. I was not really a big fan of Rise or rhythm games, so I don't really see the appeal.

Kanji dancing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Kanji dancing.

If I weren't already a fan of rhythm games, the fact that Kanji is playable in it would have convinced me.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Strange Quark posted:

He says, playing games that prominently feature dick-shaped demons.

Mara is an inspiration for any alpha male.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
As Rise is my favorite character (after Yosuke), I of course will be pre-ordering Dancing All Night.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persona Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQVJCFIKTs
Kanji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbT9W7dDEfA
Koromaru

Atlus discovered people don't like Pewdiepie last night. The post about him playing Daylight and the apology were both taken down, but comments were tearing into Pewdiepie and recommending they work with Two Friends Play or Game Grumps. Slowbeef got a screenshot though.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/449374788302422016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Who the gently caress is Pewdiepie?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nate RFB posted:

A Swedish guy who loves screaming over things.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That guy pretty much owns the "10 year old boy with a tablet" demographic on YouTube. Kids eat that poo poo up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PewDiePie

The most subscribed to channel on youtube.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is the first time I actually see a PQ battle in motion... eh. It looks less fluid than the Persona games but not as straightforward as EO. I dunno, maybe it looks better in practice.

Also I think it looks worse than SMT4 but then I remembered they still use sprites for that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

Atlus discovered people don't like Pewdiepie last night. The post about him playing Daylight and the apology were both taken down, but comments were tearing into Pewdiepie and recommending they work with Two Friends Play or Game Grumps. Slowbeef got a screenshot though.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/449374788302422016

Atlus USA made up a whole new acronym for people like Pewdiepie. :allears:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Strange Quark posted:

Atlus USA made up a whole new acronym for people like Pewdiepie. :allears:

PYTP gonna be the penultimate boss to YHVH in the next SMT

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

hubris.height posted:

PYTP gonna be the penultimate boss to YHVH in the next SMT

FYI, I need this game ASAP. BRB, gotta smoke some PCP.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I cannot stop laughing at how Koromaru floats during dialogue scenes. Although...I can smell the bad comments/fanart/Tumblr posts that the shrunken-down Yukari scene is going to spawn.
:ughh:

Also, Koro beats you out by a mile, Teddie. He doesn't have stupidly annoying squeaking noises when he walks around. Therefore, Koromaru is the better cute and furry companion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/AtlusUSA/posts/10152029508623339

Raidou vs The Souless Army is a PSN Classic April 1st.