Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

E: Nevermind...

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sleekly posted:

There is a US$30 Thunderbolt Apache Leader expansion on Kickstarter if you ever wanted more of eveything for that thing.

I do lol.

Could you link it? dvg.com is "not good".

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Could you link it? dvg.com is "not good".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danverssengames/thunderbolt-apache-leader-fleet-cmdr-nimitz-tiger-leader?ref=android_project_share

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That actually sounds kinda cool. It might get me back into TAL.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Seems like it will round out the existing stuff nicely. Update stuff. New ordinance! Give us an F-35 with wonky stats lol

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For ???? reasons I think the idea of commanding Ospreys and ground squads is pretty cool.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I'd missed that! Now finally in the game about close air support I can try to provide close air support!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
What's the problem with single deck CDGs? Does Wilderness War suffer from whatever it is?

e; to clarify, I've been reading the thread and this has been mentioned a few times but never explained

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 28, 2019

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the problem with single deck CDGs? Does Wilderness War suffer from whatever it is?

e; to clarify, I've been reading the thread and this has been mentioned a few times but never explained

The main issues with single deck CDGs are:
1. Variance. It's possible for you to get supoer screwed over with bad draws - not just events that are good for your opponents, but literally events that you can't do much with: an extreme example is a US Hand with only 1s and 2s in the early game of TS (including Blockade) - are justs irrecoverable. At least, in a 2-deck CDG, you know that if you have a weak opening hand, you will be more likely to get the good powerful cards in your subsequent turns. There's no guarantee here.
2. Information. They give you a lot more information about what potentially is/isn't in your opponent's hand becuase you share the deck. Especially in TS, on turn 3, you can pretty much be sure where certain cards are based on card counting.
3. Flavour. A lot of the time in Single-deck CDGs, nobody ever plays cards for their events becuase the Ops are usually just straight up better, which takes away from the historical focus.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

It turns out ASL mapboards have almost exactly twice the dimensions of Phoenix Command Mechanized Combat System hexes:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Another reason why ASL is the best game in the world.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Another reason why ASL is the best game in the world.

Paths of Glory #1 rated wargame on BBG :smug:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

fake news, its actually third

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wasn't twilight struggle #1 for an absurdly long time

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

it still is the #1 in wargames, but its dropped in the overall ranking

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vote WSDV to #1

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
WSDV is way better than Twilight Struggle

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

It turns out ASL mapboards have almost exactly twice the dimensions of Phoenix Command Mechanized Combat System hexes:

I'm planning to see if I can a platoon of M1A1 Abrams against a platoon of Tiger IIs. It'll be incredibly dumb and anyone who's not a complete wehraboo knows exactly how that's going to end, but I'm hoping it'll be weird and dumb and fun.

But I need names! I need four nicknames for the American M1A1s, each starting with different letters, and I need four nicknames for the Wehrmacht Tiger IIs, also starting with different letters (but the letters can be the same as the American ones). And then, for each tank, I need names for the crews, all starting with the same letter. So for example, the M1A1 Abrams 'Astute' can have a crew of Adrian, Alex, Andrew, and Austin.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

HerraS posted:

fake news, its actually third

Neither TW nor WotR are actual wargame. Checkmate lesser game players :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DJ Dizzy posted:

Paths of Glory #1 rated wargame on BBG :smug:

All the smart voters are on Gamesquad :colbert:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

For ???? reasons I think the idea of commanding Ospreys and ground squads is pretty cool.

If the osprey does not have a more than reasonable chance of crashing, Im calling this game out as unrealistic :v:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have been playing both sides of Colonial Twilight for the last week and though I have enjoyed the experience I wonder if COIN games are significantly better with other players or against the bot. The only times I have played an event have been when I was resource constrained, that could be because I am still learning. I was wondering if you find it common to play event or to have to pass due to the lack of resources?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ropes4u posted:

I have been playing both sides of Colonial Twilight for the last week and though I have enjoyed the experience I wonder if COIN games are significantly better with other players or against the bot. The only times I have played an event have been when I was resource constrained, that could be because I am still learning. I was wondering if you find it common to play event or to have to pass due to the lack of resources?

Really depends on the game - Andean Abyss the events are really undercooked so you're almost always better off just using ops, Cuba Libre is the opposite where events tend to be a lot more powerful than ops (by design, due to how important foreign intervention was in the revolution). In the other games there are definitely times when it's good to play the event even if you could play ops, though obviously the priority system is different what with having 4 players.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
:siren: JOBBO FETT, ATTN: REPORT TO THE THREAD :siren:

Available for preorder, you can add French people to your ASL experience for the low low price of $135 lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Woo woo!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

:siren: JOBBO FETT, ATTN: REPORT TO THE THREAD :siren:

Available for preorder, you can add French people to your ASL experience for the low low price of $135 lol

Awww, you couldn't reuse the old cover? :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
New cover is dope as gently caress.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
hey COOL CORN, remember a few years ago you built yourself a gaming table and i think you asked here about map sizes prior to doing it?

do you remember what dimensions you finally went with?

i want to slap something together in my garage and i'm wondering what a good size might be or if i just want to throw 4x8 plywood on a sawhorse and call it a day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The playable area was uhhhh... 36x48 I think? It was enough to fit two standard maps.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

AARP LARPer posted:

i want to slap something together in my garage and i'm wondering what a good size might be or if i just want to throw 4x8 plywood on a sawhorse and call it a day.

Don't do plywood, get thick MDF. Mine is 3'x7' and it fits Austerlitz 1805 with all its extras.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Honest question: what's good about ASL? I listened to the Idle Thumbs podcast but all they talked about was how old were they when they first played the original SL. Is it fun to play?

Also how are Simonitch '4X games? Which one is the best to start?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Terminally Bored posted:

Honest question: what's good about ASL? I listened to the Idle Thumbs podcast but all they talked about was how old were they when they first played the original SL. Is it fun to play?

*cracks knuckles*

So, the first thing you'll notice about ASL is that it has a roughly 400-page rulebook. But the thing about that is you don't have to read all that - there's maybe 20 pages of actual rules you need to read to get started. The fact that there are SO MANY rules, elevates ASL into what it is though: a system to simulate literally any conflict or battle between 1939-1945 (and honestly, even going back to the Spanish civil war in 1936 or going up through the end of the Korean war in 1953). I have over 2000 printed scenarios that I've collected, so when I say "literally any conflict" I'm not just being facetious.

And having so much chrome means that you're not just moving chits around on a map, you're telling stories. One of my favorite moments in ASL was when I was playing the "Miła 18" scenario that pits the Polish ZOB forces against the Germans. All of the ZOB units start hidden on the map ("HIP" or hidden initial placement per the rules), so the Germans have to go building by building and check for enemies ("mopping up" checks per the rules). I had a ZOB unit hidden in the top floor of a building. As soon as the German unit entered the building, I threw a molotov cocktail downstairs (there's rules for that!) hoping to take him out with just a strong attack. Unfortunately there's a separate roll to see if a fire starts. It did. I don't remember the exact reason we didn't move OUT of the building, I think we were engaged in melee (a set of rules for that). But then the fire turned into a blaze, which rubbled the building, killing both of us. All of that happened according to exactly written rules, no roleplaying DM interpretation or storytelling. The rules themselves work to tell these wonderful stories.

So yeah, I think ASL is one of the fullest and most entertaining things I've found in wargaming, let alone boardgaming in genereal. It IS daunting to get into. There's a slew of products dating back to the 80s that can be confusing, and the rulebook puts a lot of people off. BUT, there are Starter Kits now that are wonderfully fun in their own rights (and only have like 10 page rulebooks!), and there are goons in this very thread (myself and Jobbo Fett) that can help you learn or walk you through a small scenario in VASSAL via Discord or something.

It's fun :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 6, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok now tell me there's a way to store its components without counter trays or tackle boxes

I hate it when games don't fit in the box

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phi230 posted:

Ok now tell me there's a way to store its components without counter trays or tackle boxes

But that's all hex and counter games, unless you like sorting poo poo out of baggies or something.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

*sighs heavily while clicking ORDER on ASL Starter Kit #2*

The store's out of #1 and the one with tanks is pricier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

But that's all hex and counter games, unless you like sorting poo poo out of baggies or something.

Every hex and counter game I own, except MBT, fit in the box though

Do ASL stuff come in boxes? I don't care if you need 10 boxes, I just need the boxes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Are you trying to tell me you don't think this is portable

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let me just explain to the girlfriend that I spent one thousand dollars on tackleboxes and also we can't use the dining room anymore

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Terminally Bored posted:

Also how are Simonitch '4X games? Which one is the best to start?

How I got to this board state was great. How I'm continuing is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The last panel to the My Desires Are Unconventional meme