Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mzbundifund posted:

What many ways? All I can think of is his camp skill.

Any -stress received (Steady quirk, trinkets) will reduce the self-inflicted stress. This is also relevent for Abomination's transformation, and the Occultist's camp skills. Since he's religious, Prayer and Chant are also more effective on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Was that with an antiquarian?

No I don't think I've ever scouted a secret room with an antiquarian

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This may have already been answered, but if I grab the DLC, will it be integrated into the campaign I'm already in or do I have to start over?

It will be integrated into the campaign.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Panfilo posted:

Any -stress received (Steady quirk, trinkets) will reduce the self-inflicted stress. This is also relevent for Abomination's transformation, and the Occultist's camp skills. Since he's religious, Prayer and Chant are also more effective on him.

Oh just all the usual stuff then. I thought you meant flagellant-specific mechanics.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sorced posted:

So who said jesters didn't get buffed?

Districts unlock once you get a blueprint. I happened to get one from a town event, no clue how to get them otherwise. Apart from the jester one they are stupidly expensive for small benefits.

The poo poo orange excluded Jester trinkets rival Antiquitarian in power. So I'm now surprised this other benifit is good for him too.

Is the trinket rebalance only in the dlc? I haven't noticed anything but I'm only just beat the first boss on my file. I'm meandering but money can be gotten back. I have 4 good traits on dismas Jesus. Reynald is also looking good.

I think tracking shot buff is enough to have a dedicated gunman. He was doing damage equal to my arbalest. But he has the ability to retreat with a strong attack and probably one of the best aoes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Tracking shot now benefits EVERYTHING, not just ranged attacks! So like +6ACC, +15% damage,+5% crit or whatever. I've tested it and now you can tracking shot, then Duelist's Advance and now your Riposite hits harder.

A lot of common/uncommon trinkets got nerfed; the idea was to make the rarer trinkets more significant. Anti-Race rings now have a much bigger -8 dodge from -2 dodge, because they were a big damage boost for being available to all. Blasphemous Vial did get nerfed but it was so drat good anyway I'm not shocked. Daemon's Cauldron now has a health malus attached to it but conversely the Occultist can use Wyrd Reconstruction in the 2nd row so you can stab, stun, and debuff poo poo. Some of the Ancestral items got better, Raider's Satchel and berserk mask now give +5% crit instead of like +3%.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So how does one get invited into the parties going on at the Courtyard? I'm debating integrating this into a completed file I've had for a while but I don't know what drops invites that allow you into the courtyard.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah but it being a viable move at all I think makes the gunman highwayman a lot less poo poo.
I'm the dunce that likes aoe to clear the front ranks first. At least in the early missions. But then I still like taking out the damage dealers as sooner than later.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah but it being a viable move at all I think makes the gunman highwayman a lot less poo poo.
I'm the dunce that likes aoe to clear the front ranks first. At least in the early missions. But then I still like taking out the damage dealers as sooner than later.

Vs spiders or maggots and with good enough base damage, that's not a bad idea really.

Highwang posted:

So how does one get invited into the parties going on at the Courtyard? I'm debating integrating this into a completed file I've had for a while but I don't know what drops invites that allow you into the courtyard.

When the infestation level reaches 'high', you start encountering these slippery assholes called "Gatekeepers". They look like the cute butlers but are holding up a piece of paper. Killing one drops an invitation, and you can encounter them many times in one dungeon to get multiple invitations. But they have pretty good dodge and actually run away if you don't kill them fast enough.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So do y'all have a recommended provisions list for the courtyard? I'm going to give that crocodile a piece of my mind and other than food and bandages, and ignoring torches, I'm not certain of what to bring.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

So do y'all have a recommended provisions list for the courtyard? I'm going to give that crocodile a piece of my mind and other than food and bandages, and ignoring torches, I'm not certain of what to bring.

Go ahead and take some torches, some of the curios are flammable. Plus, you can light em off for a small but appreciable buff.

Don't forget shovels, there are a couple barriers and you can use them on curios too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bogart posted:

on this note for someone just starting this game, is there somewhere a provision list for each type of thing?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Right. Forgot you could burn the cocoons. And forgot the barriers. Always forget about shovels. :negative:

e: Can use bandages on the Pile of Strange Bones, but I'd rather save em for inevitable bleeding.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 20, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Doorknob Slobber posted:

on this note for someone just starting this game, is there somewhere a provision list for each type of thing?

Bring holy water and keys to the Ruins. Bring bandages and herbs to the Warrens. Herbs and shovels for the Cove. Bandages and antivenom for the Weald. (I just have the Curios page on the DD wiki open when I'm exploring to see what does what.)

e: Found a list for the Courtyard. 'Bare-handed' talking to the Shrew can stress.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 20, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Caltrops is aces against the prophet. I don't know if later bosses will have too much debuff resist, but it does actual damage along with -25%+ accuracy penalty.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Caltrops is aces against the prophet. I don't know if later bosses will have too much debuff resist, but it does actual damage along with -25%+ accuracy penalty.

It has a nice 10% crit mod on top of that as well. And I forgot that the Highwayman's Open Vein now debuffs speed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The leper's base damage feels stronger too. At least in the baby levels all he stuff I like is so much better.
Attaching debuffs to dots is a good idea as they both play into the long game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The bedamned clapperclaw is no more, and only at the cost of a single Crimson Curse victim. Going in with level 2 heroes and level 3 equipment made, uh, a lot of difference. :black101: A mark-heavy team was useful: I went Crusader, Bounty Hunter, Arbalest, and Occultist. Crusader and Arbalest did most of the damage, BH and Occultist marked-and-debuffed, and individually healed or stunned.

Real talk: the religious characters shouldn't be willing to party with the Occultist. :colbert:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 20, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Look man, say what you want about the tenets of eldritch examination, at least it's an ethos.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm mostly convinced the religious characters are worshiping something exactly as hosed up as whatever the Occultist made a deal with.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The leper's base damage feels stronger too. At least in the baby levels all he stuff I like is so much better.
Attaching debuffs to dots is a good idea as they both play into the long game.

Debuffs with DoTs make abilities spammable; if you hit paydirt the first attempt then you have a good incentive to keep piling it on because each further application becomes easier. It also works great in teams PARTICULARLY with allies who have a lower Blight or Bleed chance (either because their skill just isn't as good, they are under-skilled, or their trinket maluses are affecting it).

A great example of this is Cove. Normally fishmen have high enough bleed resist that using bleed abilities isn't normally worth it. But an hombre like the Flagellant can spank that bleed resist right outta them, making your buddies connect a lot better. Since a lot of these enemies have pretty high PROT, this is fairly useful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm mostly convinced the religious characters are worshiping something exactly as hosed up as whatever the Occultist made a deal with.

*Sees Occultist, puts on tentacle mask*
"Yes, you have pleased the fickle wills of the sleeping horrors of the Universe"

*Sees Vestal, hurredly throws on Pope Hat
"Truly, your valor shall be rewarded, my child"

*Takes advantage of the 3 minutes nobody's bugging him to crack open a Budweiser and watch the rest of the football game*

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So can you actually see the districts in your hamlet, or is it just hidden stuff?

I'm a sucker for watching things build up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the Flagellant willing to be in a party with the Abomination?

Ragnar34 posted:

The Flame is just ignorance from the horrible truth of the world. You enure yourself against the horrors by blinding yourself to what they really represent. Comfort in a higher power that doesn't exist, but lets you avoid confronting the terrible ones that do. At least that's how I've always seen it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

no

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

http://arnaud.rocks/darkest-companion/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Honestly all the patron saints are probably the Creature itself, working toward its own ends. False hope stokes more fuel to awaken itself. We're nothing more than gut bacteria to this creature.
Winning the game is nothing more than the Eldrich horror eating a bad burrito and getting laid up for a century or so. But make no mistake there is no stopping him from eating every and any street food in the universe.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Internet Kraken posted:

The Flame is just ignorance from the horrible truth of the world. You enure yourself against the horrors by blinding yourself to what they really represent. Comfort in a higher power that doesn't exist, but lets you avoid confronting the terrible ones that do. At least that's how I've always seen it.
The problem with that interpretation is the religious characters do get their powers from somewhere. When the Vestal prays for healing or the Crusader prepares a holy rebuke against the undead, these abilities have observable effects removed from the realm of the Plauge Doctor's mad science and the Occultist's eldritch invocations. Something, somewhere, is granting these adventurers the strength to stand against the unholy tide, even if they've failed to correctly identify what it is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Bad Seafood posted:

The problem with that interpretation is the religious characters do get their powers from somewhere. When the Vestal prays for healing or the Crusader prepares a holy rebuke against the undead, these abilities have observable effects removed from the realm of the Plauge Doctor's mad science and the Occultist's eldritch invocations. Something, somewhere, is granting these adventurers the strength to stand against the unholy tide, even if they've failed to correctly identify what it is.

Also possible the Occultist is drawing power from the Eldrich Horror's bitter ex-wife.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bad Seafood posted:

The Plague Doctor's science is in no way mad. :colbert:

She is a learned scholar!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

He dont like that smarmy goat

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I actually really like the idea of the tenant of the Holy Flame being an opposite to the Heart of Darkness. The Heart of Darkness is alive, beyond everything else, it is wholly, terrifyingly alive. It's presence causes bones and pig carcasses to live. It reshapes men and women into fish. It grows fungus into and around whatever falls in the weald. It's body is flesh and teeth and organs and muscle. It calls us to "come unto our maker", because the thing that we cling to most dearly is our life.

The flame rejects that. Fire burns away corruption, and torchlight repels the enemies that seek the dark. And who is holy? The Vestal, who by her name (claims) to be pure of carnal pleasure and procreative instinct. The Leper, who's body is corrupted, but who yet lives with this shame, and the Flagellant, who punishes his own body, all backed by the Light wielding Crusader. They reject the Abomination for one reason above all: the Abomination is more alive, his body shifts and knits itself together.

The Flame would see us all as ash! Our ancestor was right! Into the Maw with all of us! Let us be one writhing body of perfect form and mind! Ia ia!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I actually really like the idea of the tenant of the Holy Flame being an opposite to the Heart of Darkness. The Heart of Darkness is alive, beyond everything else, it is wholly, terrifyingly alive. It's presence causes bones and pig carcasses to live. It reshapes men and women into fish. It grows fungus into and around whatever falls in the weald. It's body is flesh and teeth and organs and muscle. It calls us to "come unto our maker", because the thing that we cling to most dearly is our life.

The flame rejects that. Fire burns away corruption, and torchlight repels the enemies that seek the dark. And who is holy? The Vestal, who by her name (claims) to be pure of carnal pleasure and procreative instinct. The Leper, who's body is corrupted, but who yet lives with this shame, and the Flagellant, who punishes his own body, all backed by the Light wielding Crusader. They reject the Abomination for one reason above all: the Abomination is more alive, his body shifts and knits itself together.

The Flame would see us all as ash! Our ancestor was right! Into the Maw with all of us! Let us be one writhing body of perfect form and mind! Ia ia!

This is a really cool theory, that the 'good' guys are just a glorified death cult, and that the cultists themselves embrace mortality. A bit more moments in this existence is what we are all instinctively wired to maintain, and that makes sense if you consider we are all extensions of something greater and more malevolent.

Ultimately the Heart of Darkness is Papa Nurgle!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The Occultist bark FREE ME FROM THIS PRISON OF FLESH kind of plays into that too, as the occultist is supposed to be studying the eldritch specifically to fight it. The flame could represent not just purgation but energy and the spirit. The immaterial. While the aimless rampant growth of the Heart of Darkness is corporeal and in a way stagnant. While it would make them no less a death cult, the eternal crusade and seeking a glorious death is more lively than wasting away or a quite life on a farm.

Panfilo posted:

Debuffs with DoTs make abilities spammable; if you hit paydirt the first attempt then you have a good incentive to keep piling it on because each further application becomes easier. It also works great in teams PARTICULARLY with allies who have a lower Blight or Bleed chance (either because their skill just isn't as good, they are under-skilled, or their trinket maluses are affecting it).

A great example of this is Cove. Normally fishmen have high enough bleed resist that using bleed abilities isn't normally worth it. But an hombre like the Flagellant can spank that bleed resist right outta them, making your buddies connect a lot better. Since a lot of these enemies have pretty high PROT, this is fairly useful.

Oh I specifically meant debuffs that make the guy worse at fighting, so that he isn't wailing on you as he bleeds out.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZorajitZorajit posted:

ive heard this theory before here (from you, i guess?), and i really dig it

on an unrelated note, i really feel like the antiquarian should be better at trap disposal. she just seems like a careful gal.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Rookersh posted:

So can you actually see the districts in your hamlet, or is it just hidden stuff?

I'm a sucker for watching things build up.

Sadly no. When you build them on the district page you get a little building, but it's separate from the main base.

Soup du Journey posted:

on an unrelated note, i really feel like the antiquarian should be better at trap disposal. she just seems like a careful gal.

She knows that the safest and most careful way to dispose of a trap is to get someone else to do it for you.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

this site is good for quick look-ups, and i make use of it often (haven't played in a while...), but note that it's wayyy too liberal with its suggestions for provisioning

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I just use the curios page on the wiki

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

White Coke posted:

She knows that the safest and most careful way to dispose of a trap is to get someone else to do it for you.
Antiquarian: "You don't go out and die gloriously for the Heir, you get some other stupid bastard to do that for you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Soup du Journey posted:

ive heard this theory before here (from you, i guess?), and i really dig it

I didn't come up with it, but I did see it here first. I like the duality of it, that there is a force of unrestrained life, chaos and creation and a counterbalancing force of order and cleansing destruction. Neither can be said to be particularly benevolent, and left unchecked would likely both lead to something equivalent to extinction. I think I'm probably reading a fair bit into the Holy Flame stuff, since there isn't very much there at all. But I think the connection between the eldritch horror and its ability to manipulate life and flesh is pretty well supported.