Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like that Smoker has such a good grasp on Luffy that he accurately predicted the next island that Luffy would be at, only to get screwed over when the Strawhats ended up going to Punk Hazard due to circumstances that he couldn't have seen coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Luffy's gotten away from four different Admirals before so I wouldn't hold too much against Smoker. Not that any of those admirals were really going ALL out to try and capture him

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So here's this thing that Oda apparently drew?

A what-if thing.

Source: https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/882625199312482304/photo/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would have been so goddamn random if such a thing had happened though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't believe in this what-if scenario that Akainu is going to kill both of Luffy's older brothers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/882694980787154944

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sabo will be fine, he has a pvc pipe

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what if ace lived and sabo never got the mera mera. no thanks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

double double fruit

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/sandman_AP/status/871632030315892738

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

what if ace lived and sabo never got the mera mera. no thanks

well then obviously sabo would have inherited dragon's Dragon Zoan fruit when he died and luffy sabo and ace could have fought blackbeard together since he has the cerberus fruit quake fruit and darkness fruit

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Man, if my name was Hinata I don't know if I'd touch Naruto stuff with a 10 foot pole, let alone apparently make a career out of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eiba posted:

The joke is Ace doesn't know how to spell his own name. The twist is that Ace was in on the joke. The crossed out s is both a self deprecating joke and a tribute to Sabo.

I always thought the joke was that the tattoo artist was going to write rear end on his arm or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gyges posted:

Man, if my name was Hinata I don't know if I'd touch Naruto stuff with a 10 foot pole, let alone apparently make a career out of it.

Why? Because he shares the name of a character

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The first one comes out tomorrow? Man I hope I can get my hands on one. I have no idea where they're being sold though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why? Because he shares the name of a character

Yes, because the Sakura shippers were insane.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wonder if eating a persons heart gives u their power. the real blackbeard's flag is him stabbing a heart and toasting to the devil

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
We have barely even dipped our toe into how strong the revolutionaries really are. We don't even know what fruit Dragon owns, he could have weather control or he could be so powerful he just commands weather. Sabo was apparently a powerhouse before he got Ace's fruit, and maybe even stronger than Ace at his peak since he was secretly second in command before all that nonsense.

Maybe the Kaido fight is going to involve him loving up Shanks, but Dragon, Sabo and friend joining Luffy & friends to take him out. There's just so many superpowers left and I still don't feel like the straw hats have even been pushed to their limits yet. There's still so many people left to fight this manga could go on another 20 years and still feel short

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm still betting that the World Government will capture Sabo and announce his imminent execution to draw out Dragon in a repeat of Marineford, but Luffy will be able to tip the battle and save his brother this time thanks to his increased personal strength, the presence of his crew and that that's where the Strawhats Armada will come in to play. The whole of the second half of the story is vaguely paralleling the first half, and that seems the perfect way to cap it and include a massive battle of multiple factions that rivals Marineford while also showcasing how Luffy has grown and that he can now protect the people he wants to, by doing what he failed to do years before.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think there'll be a final clash at Marineford but I don't think it'll echo the first one so closely, by the story's end we will know what happened during the Void Century and Luffy will be headed for conflict with the WG regardless. What we really need is Sabo to smash Akainu into a million pieces.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't remember is there break this week?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

No we've only been back for one week so we'll get a chapter this week and next week at least and possibly one after that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EmmyOk posted:

What we really need is Sabo to smash Akainu into a million pieces.

Why? I'd say Luffy would be more satisfying given Luffy was right there when it happened and Ace sacrificed himself to Akainu to save Luffy. Sabo has Ace's fruit but he only read about it happening so seeing him defeat Akainu doesn't seem nearly as satisfying to me.

Anyway, it's unlikely that the Marineford equivalent battle will actually be at Marineford if it happens, given Marineford is no longer the Marine HQ following the battle there. Sakazuki shifted the HQ to the G-1 base instead, which is in the New World and apparently on the opposite point of the Red Line to Marineford; which would put it after Raftel geographically no? I didn't think there was any ports or anything after Raftel given that Raftel is the final island and presumably impossible for most to sail too, but maybe people just sail past it's rough location without realising it or something?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tsob posted:

Why? I'd say Luffy would be more satisfying given Luffy was right there when it happened and Ace sacrificed himself to Akainu to save Luffy. Sabo has Ace's fruit but he only read about it happening so seeing him defeat Akainu doesn't seem nearly as satisfying to me.

It definitely seems unlikely to me that Akainu is Luffy's final big opponent but I also think that he faces off with the World Government after Raftel and Blackbeard not before. Sabo being captured and a battle where this time Luffy saves him would be really bad writing on the level of Roger having had the Gum Gum Fruit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

No, chapter's already out (in Korean).

That said, stuff seems to be coming out later than usual today; Souma hasn't even come out yet.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

http://readms.net/r/one_piece/871/4392/1

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EmmyOk posted:

It definitely seems unlikely to me that Akainu is Luffy's final big opponent but I also think that he faces off with the World Government after Raftel and Blackbeard not before. Sabo being captured and a battle where this time Luffy saves him would be really bad writing on the level of Roger having had the Gum Gum Fruit.

It being bad writing doesn't mean it can't happen. Not that I find it particularly egregious writing personally. If Sabo had been introduced in a more gradual or suitable manner I wouldn't find any fault with it at all I think.

Nor do I understand why someone would say Akainu is an unlikely final opponent; he is the head representative of a system that controls the world, causes other possible final opponents (i. e. Blackbeard) to run away just by his presence and most importantly killed Luffy's brother. An event so devastating it was caused him to disband his crew for two years to train so that he would never have to suffer that pain of loss again. It's the single most significant loss he's had in the entire manga, including being beaten by Kuma, going by his reactions to the two events. Kuma made him cry and wonder about his worth; Akainu basically put him in an unresponsive coma from pure shock and was the push he needed to train.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Go Caesar! He's still a scumbag though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

It being bad writing doesn't mean it can't happen. Not that I find it particularly egregious writing personally. If Sabo had been introduced in a more gradual or suitable manner I wouldn't find any fault with it at all I think. Nor do I understand why someone would say Akainu is an unlikely final opponent; he is the head representative of a system that controls the world, causes other possible final opponents (i. e. Blackbeard) to run away just by his presence and most importantly killed Luffy's brother. An event so devastating it was caused him to disband his crew for two years to train so that he would never have to suffer that pain of loss again. It's the single most significant loss he's had in the entire manga, including being beaten by Kuma, going by his reactions to the two events. Kuma made him cry and wonder about his worth; Akainu basically put him in an unresponsive coma from pure shock and was the push he needed to train.

Plus, Blackbeard needs to be beaten before Raftel, so he's an unlikely final boss, which leaves Luffy without someone obvious to punch. Unless there's revealed to be someone higher-ranking and more physically dangerous than Sakazuki in the World government (maybe one of the Gorosei will go Super Saiyan?), Luffy gets him by default.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

:bignews:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Big Mom just dipping her hand into electricity and punching someone with it is pretty metal.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Holy poo poo Stussy :stare: Also looks like people called how they're getting away. After this chapter, I don't really see the Straw Hats beating Big Mom here, concidering how they all got trounced, but a miracle still could happen, I suppose

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they do seem to be running away. luffy's claim that he's gonna take out kaidou first pretty much convinced me that I was wrong about them not leaving and the tametabako blowing up gives them a chance to get out of there

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

<- Big Stussy fan here

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Finally that thing goes boom

One Piece Manga Thread: Big Mom used Thunderpunch! It was Super Effective!

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 6, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

they do seem to be running away. luffy's claim that he's gonna take out kaidou first pretty much convinced me that I was wrong about them not leaving and the tametabako blowing up gives them a chance to get out of there

Yea, that line about beating Kaidou first is the one thing that I've seen that would make me reconsider the Strawhats liklihood of staying and fighting in the end. That said, that was just his stated plan, rather than a declaration of intent and his plans always go awry so I wouldn't hold it as definite yet. As to what happened, none of the strongest fighters are really trying to fight yet. Sanji wants to run, Jinbe is still in Bege and Luffy just mysteriously lost power. Its presumably something Big Mom did, but I've no idea what. Even Chopper and Nami have yet to take the field. It's really just the Germa that have been fighting thus far, and helpers always lose to help set up an arc battle.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
It's really, really hard to not feel smug right now. Better luck on predictions next time guys!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why? It's not like anything has even happened; might as well be smug over Luffy fighting Big Mom at the end of the last chapter, claiming that's proof of what'll happen.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 6, 2017

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm kinda pissed that Luffy fell for the exact same bait that got Ace killed, seems kinda antithetical to the whole 3D2Y training thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Luffy's first fight against Giant Ornstein: The Chapter.