Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

I fuckin love teamsters

Weren't they hella mobbed up or was that just anti union propaganda?

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That the mob is bad is propaganda

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the mob is bad because they're reactionary as hell, but teamsters are gud becuz they're teamsters

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doc Neutral posted:

Weren't they hella mobbed up or was that just anti union propaganda?

:thunk:

idk maybe I just know the teamsters I work with (theatrical) are the union that most understands the reality of capital v labor and will shut you the gently caress down if you try to get them to do smth outside of their contract

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
To some degree the mob was effectively the unions' answer to the pinkertons. Mostly the union side of the deal ended up increasingly coopted but even at the most one-sided it was at least in the mobs self-interest to go break a few scabs' legs.

Longshoremen are up their in competition with the teamsters though.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
What do teamsters even teamst anyway. Also, what is a teamst

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

crazy cloud posted:

What do teamsters even teamst anyway. Also, what is a teamst

they used to team horses

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
They Teamst Horses, Don’t They?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

It's actually they whomst horses

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
what the actual heck

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Teamst'd've

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/RealTankieHours/status/981856292464558080

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
they drove teams of horses and now they mostly drive trucks but do some other stuff too like manage stage and set equipment

fun fact the drivers of the horse-drawn carriages in Central Park are Teamsters

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mw49mk_x0

watch your rear end, bub!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Impermanent posted:

That the mob is bad is propaganda

The mob was good when they were helping unions and looking out for an underprivileged minority population

They became bad around the time they decided to help America run Cuba and become a bunch of Tony Sopranos

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

reignonyourparade posted:

To some degree the mob was effectively the unions' answer to the pinkertons. Mostly the union side of the deal ended up increasingly coopted but even at the most one-sided it was at least in the mobs self-interest to go break a few scabs' legs.

Longshoremen are up their in competition with the teamsters though.

You have anything I can read about this? This seems super interesting

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the mob has always exploited whatever gaps exist between capitalist exploitation and subsistence for workers. mobsters essentially "finish the job" of extracting surplus value through intimidation and violence, which bosses don't usually employ unless there's severe workplace tension like a strike.

this is one reason why fascism's relationship to organized crime comes down to a coin flip: either they get booted out so the state can take over the racket, or absorbed into the terroristic apparatus with the leadership incorporated or assassinated

basically: criminals aren't heroes

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 6, 2018

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
relevant jacobin:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2013/11/the-sicilian-klan

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I told u about Lumpenproles bro. I told u dog!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah mccaine has good analysis on the issue. i'd recommend the full version on his site over jaKKKobin's edit

Why Do We Like Mafia Films?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Btw the connection between organized crime and the left made me think of the origin of the Red Commando here in Brazil, one of the two giant criminal factions who arr engaged in a brutal turf war that's ravaging the country. Their name actually is inspired by the fact that political prisoners during the dictatorship era were often sent to be among common criminals and tried to doctrine them with guerrilla tactics and Communist ideology but while they failed on the latter they succeeded very much on the former.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sounds like the black guerrilla family prison gang in the us

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Plutonis posted:

Btw the connection between organized crime and the left made me think of the origin of the Red Commando here in Brazil, one of the two giant criminal factions who arr engaged in a brutal turf war that's ravaging the country. Their name actually is inspired by the fact that political prisoners during the dictatorship era were often sent to be among common criminals and tried to doctrine them with guerrilla tactics and Communist ideology but while they failed on the latter they succeeded very much on the former.

Woopsy Daisy!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
kind of tangential but i read a book on attica recently and there's a lot in there about the state (both "the State of New York" and "the security apparatus controlled by the Federal government") panicking about radical prisoners. the prison unrest that preceded and culminated in the Attica uprising was widely blamed in establishment circles on left wing ideology permeating from trouble-making Communists and black radicals rather than on the obviously inhuman conditions

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82O_aEyprxE

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/559469978857271296?s=19

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Convo with my brother's girlfriend, who never talks politics, a few moments ago. "Oh we're going to see Death of Stalin on Sunday and we got you a ticket."

Her: "I heeeard. HE'S MY BAE."

"Stalin?"

Her: "Yeah, see?"

*pulls up phone pic of young sexy Stalin*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Convo with my brother's girlfriend, who never talks politics, a few moments ago. "Oh we're going to see Death of Stalin on Sunday and we got you a ticket."

"Stalin?"

Hell yes.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

"Stalin?"

your brother must marry her

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

they used to team horses

their logo is badass

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

"Stalin?"

im happy for you bro

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Stalin?"

..she got a sister?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sorry about your use of br myers as a reliable source, brutalistmc

https://twitter.com/blake_brunner/status/976505561217777664
https://twitter.com/blake_brunner/status/976505566074871808

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

https://twitter.com/blake_brunner/status/976505563780603904

I think their description of a nation in terms of "common kinship descent" gives a certain justification for reading race into it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's true, i do use b.r. myers a lot in the korea thread but right now i'm gonna have to trade space for time on this particular :can:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Maybe all nationalisms are inherently racist. :thunk:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'll point out that neo-nazi entryism is not unheard of among pro-DPRK groups in the U.S.

the songun politics study group blew up in infighting because of it i think, and the leader burned his north korean contact because he started posting white-power stuff on the study group's website. i guess we can give north korea credit for cutting ties but the guy later complained ... because 'they knew i was an anti-semite before and they didn't have a problem with it!'

i think jason unruhe was also mixed up with that group lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

we should definitely trust the word of an avowed white power advocate desperately attempting to save face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bryter posted:

https://twitter.com/blake_brunner/status/976505563780603904

I think their description of a nation in terms of "common kinship descent" gives a certain justification for reading race into it

not really, it's pretty clearly cribbing from marxism and the national question

Joey S. posted:

A nation is a historically constituted, stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, economic life, and psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.