Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Her absence from the story actually helped the narrative, so.

I do think we're overdue for getting Rescue though, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Riri Williams is about to have more appearances in an armored suit than Rescue had, nobody gives a poo poo about Rescue.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Considering Riri Williams has her own comic book, I don't see why that's supposed to be unexpected.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Considering Riri Williams has her own comic book, I don't see why that's supposed to be unexpected.

Nobody ever clamored for Rescue to get her own series because Pepper Pots is a boring, uninteresting character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

Nobody ever clamored for Rescue to get her own series because Pepper Pots is a boring, uninteresting character.

Okay now we're getting to a weird place

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

Okay now we're getting to a weird place

The only writer to ever do anything of interest with Pepper Potts in her entire history was Matt Fraction. And almost everything he did has been undone/forgotten. It feels like Marvel themselves don't even care about her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like her pretty well in the movies and I think it'd be a great way to give her more relevance like Paltrow seems to want, so. I dunno what else to say here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I like her pretty well in the movies and I think it'd be a great way to give her more relevance like Paltrow seems to want, so. I dunno what else to say here.

I guess it's an option but the Rescue identity is pretty much a footnote in the history of Pepper Potts. I know she showed up in the suit just a month ago but I don't see Marvel giving the character a push when there's Riri to push.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Marvel has made major plot points out of minor characters in the movies before, you know.

Also I imagine it'll be a number of years before we see Riri on screen, if at all, to be honest. And even then, why do we have to settle for only two one female hero in armor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Marvel has made major plot points out of minor characters in the movies before, you know.

Also I imagine it'll be a number of years before we see Riri on screen, if at all, to be honest. And even then, why do we have to settle for only two one female hero in armor?

How many hammer wielding. patriotic, or talking raccoons do they already have? War Machine is pretty much the only power duplication they've done. And again, it's doubtful because Paltrow probably isn't going back to the MCU proper.

If Agents of Shield wasn't going to almost certainly end after the next season Riri would be an excellent addition to the cast.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not aware the comics even had more than ONE talking raccoon.

And I dunno, multiple armored characters seems like something that'd be more natural than multiple asgardians. And even then, I'd still love to see a female Thor, even if Jane is off the table for various reasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edgar Wright has opened up a little about why he quit Ant-Man and to no real surprise it was because Marvel rewrote the script without his input and how they hired him but didn't seem to be interested in making an "Edgar Wright" movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Edgar Wright's script seemed for all intents and purposes objectively much worse, so I'm not exactly shedding tears.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You don't get to bitch about how the company that hired you wants to do things when they are funding the project and signing the checks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Edgar Wright's script seemed for all intents and purposes objectively much worse, so I'm not exactly shedding tears.

All we know about it is really vague stuff and how the lovely unfunny jokes in the final film weren't from him, so this hot take has always seemed weird to me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not aware the comics even had more than ONE talking raccoon.

There was a female Rocket clone called Shocket in the Howard the Duck comics.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

All we know about it is really vague stuff and how the lovely unfunny jokes in the final film weren't from him, so this hot take has always seemed weird to me.

We know Jan is dead dead and there's no hope spot for her to return like in the final film

Evangeline Lilly has confirmed Hope's role was to be much smaller and there was no set up for her to become the Wasp

So, yeah. Seems like a much weaker movie based on that alone.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gwyneth Paltrow is a lovely person and a con artist, so the less Pepper Potts the better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I was doing my best to keep that part out of the conversation but yes, she is a goddamned horrible human being.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well that's a shame.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Although, a scene of Pepper trying to cure Peter's powers with healing energy stickers would be hilarious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TFRazorsaw posted:

We know Jan is dead dead and there's no hope spot for her to return like in the final film

Evangeline Lilly has confirmed Hope's role was to be much smaller and there was no set up for her to become the Wasp

You're judging a theoretical movie vs an actual movie based on very minor points, I just can't get behind that. Especially since Ant-man was so forgettable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yea, and in general the stuff that people liked about Ant-Man were not there. Pena's narrations were not there either.

Ant-Man was great and its probably the second most fun Marvel movie after GOTG.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

You're judging a theoretical movie vs an actual movie based on very minor points, I just can't get behind that. Especially since Ant-man was so forgettable.

None of those strike me as minor things but okay.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man owns

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Early reactions are coming in for Spider-Man and they're overwhelmingly positive.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just tell me that there's a skateboarding scene 'cuz I ain't watching if there's not. :colbert:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BrianWilly posted:

Just tell me that there's a skateboarding scene 'cuz I ain't watching if there's not. :colbert:

It's a little short but integral to the segue into the Tough Mudder scene

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Don't worry, Night Thrasher is going to be on the New Warriors TV show.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Rhyno posted:

You don't get to bitch about how the company that hired you wants to do things when they are funding the project and signing the checks.

What? Yes, you do! I do it all the time!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dragonshirt posted:

What? Yes, you do! I do it all the time!

Quiet, fool, do not question your corporate overlords!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this! posted:

Early reactions are coming in for Spider-Man and they're overwhelmingly positive.

Shock and awe. Glad to hear that though, Spider-Man is such a great character and it's high time we got this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still worried it's gonna be poo poo. The way Sony just 180'd and said "OH YEAH ALL OUR FILMS ARE MCU" makes it seem like they know Homecoming is a bomb and they had to hitch to the money wagon or the whole thing was hosed.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

X-O posted:

Don't worry, Night Thrasher is going to be on the New Warriors TV show.

But does he have a hot white female friend who can calm him down when he gets too angry?!

I need to find that memo again.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rhyno posted:

I'm still worried it's gonna be poo poo. The way Sony just 180'd and said "OH YEAH ALL OUR FILMS ARE MCU" makes it seem like they know Homecoming is a bomb and they had to hitch to the money wagon or the whole thing was hosed.

Kevin Feige's face during that interview when Pascal makes that comment is "that's not what we discussed in private"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Counterpoint: if you value your time and have confidence in your abilities it's best to avoid working with people who don't really give a poo poo about you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure it will be fine, I just don't like that it's Iron Man 4. I'm not psyched about Spider-Man having a robot suit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rhyno posted:

Same. I have a bad feeling about Homecoming that extends past what I saw in the trailers which, while not bad, were no great shakes either. Good point about bringing up Sony's sudden change on overall tone.

Medullah posted:

I'm sure it will be fine, I just don't like that it's Iron Man 4. I'm not psyched about Spider-Man having a robot suit.

Same. Seems to fly in the face of the character and an unneeded tie in to Iron Man just to get RDJ some more screen time and tie it in. Isn't the idea that Peter builds all this poo poo himself because he's so smart?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 25, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Screening comes back with tons of positive reports: http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1673849/spider-man-homecoming-has-screened-heres-what-critics-think

Goons: It's gonna be poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amy Pascal isn't Sony. She doesn't work for Sony anymore.

• Locked thread