Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Wow. These covers from WD music are shiny (I painted the three on the left before I ordered the chromed ones).

The guitar is in my luthier's hands until Saturday, getting the upper register leveled and dressed.
It has a creme True Velvet in it now:

And I like it because it blends with the body and allows the nickel covers to pop out. Not sure what I'm gonna do, but I'll try the chrome, creme, and black and pick the one I like best.
Opinions welcome.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Its been way too long since I've been able to post in this thread.

Got a Ibanez artcore AM73 today for 200$. Really wanted a semi hollow, so when I saw it on craigslist at that price I jumped on it. Hardly any wear on it, sounds and plays like a much more expensive guitar. I am happy :)

I play bass, not my first electric but I think I'll definitely keep this one and learn to play. Its a dark reddish/brown finish, lovely camera phone makes it look black in that pic. The wood grain looks really nice too.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Stick with the cream cover, Faustus.

Constipated posted:

Got a Ibanez artcore AM73 today for 200$. Really wanted a semi hollow, so when I saw it on craigslist at that price I jumped on it. Hardly any wear on it, sounds and plays like a much more expensive guitar. I am happy :)

I play bass, not my first electric but I think I'll definitely keep this one and learn to play. Its a dark reddish/brown finish, lovely camera phone makes it look black in that pic. The wood grain looks really nice too.

Yeah, artcores play CRAZY GOOD for their price range, I've always loved them.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Constipated posted:

AM73 buddies! You should be really happy with that one - mine has been fantastic and has probably saved my wallet from any number of further guitar purchases.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

niff posted:

guitar or bass, man above me with the eau claire?

terrible photo of rig. nothing bar pedals and cables made after 1977 - rate how awesome i am, please.

pedals are: TU-2, VFE Mini Mu (really good Mutron III clone prototype) and Heavy Electronics El Oso. coming soon: Bluebeard and Fdeck HPF-pre.

edit: also coming soon, more than 100 'tube watts'.

holy gently caress. band practice tonight. best cabinet ever, jesus christ.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

Stick with the cream cover, Faustus.

Yeah, artcores play CRAZY GOOD for their price range, I've always loved them.
I've always wanted an Artcore. I think they're pretty fantastic, but I'd be afraid of feedback at volume. I don't have any experience playing hollow/semi-hollowbodies loud. They are beautiful though, and even with the stock electronics they sound great.

Anyway, I got my RG471AH back from the luthier today. He did excellent work. I got it home and lowered the action all the way to where I like it and it plays like [Insert your favorite simile for exactly the way the best, most comfortable guitar in the world should play]. I tried the chrome single-coil cover and it's pretty cool, actually; so I'll leave it on for a bit. I'll swap it with the creme cover when the mood strikes.

I won't bother you guys with any new pictures, after this, as she's complete. I now have a new go-to instrument.

What did it all cost me?
The instrument, lovely gig bag and Schaller strap locks were about $440, I spent about $225 on pickups and covers, $16 on push/pull pots and spare wire, about $7 to pot the pickups, and $70.oo on the fret leveling and crowning/dressing. Call it $760, total.
Of course, there's no accounting for taste, but I'm in love.

From this:

To this:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've always wanted an Artcore. I think they're pretty fantastic, but I'd be afraid of feedback at volume. I don't have any experience playing hollow/semi-hollowbodies loud. They are beautiful though, and even with the stock electronics they sound great.

Yep, not sure what type of overdrive I should go with. Right now I play it out of my ampeg bass amp, and use my Sansamp bass driver and Carl Martin chorus. Such a lush clean sound man.. Definitely happy about this purchase.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, I kinda want to get a Big Muff. Seems like something every guitar player gets, for good reason. Definitely a harsh distortion, but I've wanted to get it just for my bass for some time now. Whats a nice, mild overdrive pedal??

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Constipated posted:

Yep, not sure what type of overdrive I should go with. Right now I play it out of my ampeg bass amp, and use my Sansamp bass driver and Carl Martin chorus. Such a lush clean sound man.. Definitely happy about this purchase.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, I kinda want to get a Big Muff. Seems like something every guitar player gets, for good reason. Definitely a harsh distortion, but I've wanted to get it just for my bass for some time now. Whats a nice, mild overdrive pedal??

Any of the millions of tube-screamer clones will probably do you nicely.

That said, I really like pedals by earthquaker devices, such as their speaker cranker, white light, monarch or chrysalis. They also make some freakin amazing fuzzes such as the hoof (a sort of muff clone) or the tone reaper (a tonebender clone I think?).
Black Arts also make some wicked good fuzzes, the Pharaoh (another muff clone) and the Lester both get really good reviews.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Constipated posted:

Boss Blues Driver is the poo poo. Seriously.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I tried the chrome single-coil cover
and it looks a lot better than the cream imo. Nice!

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 6, 2012

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Constipated posted:

Whats a nice, mild overdrive pedal??
I'm a Fulltone OCD guy myself. It can scream if you want it to, but set for low pass with the drive about 1/3 of the way up, it's just a very mild, smooth, accentual drive that sounds amazing with single coils.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Love the blues driver and OCD. I also have been playing with a Boss OD3 and it plays really well in front of my Hot Rod Deville.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxIp9CYnp8

Cool Cat Drive is very cheap and not bad at all. Here's a A/B with an OCD.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I've heard a lot of complaints about the OCD live. Apparently it sounds great in the bedroom but lackluster at a show.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Constipated posted:

Whats a nice, mild overdrive pedal??

smallsound/bigsound gently caress overdrive is my favorite. He makes a mini version now that looks pretty sweet.

dancehall posted:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the OCD live. Apparently it sounds great in the bedroom but lackluster at a show.

Huh, I don't feel like I've ever heard a complaint about it and I see them seriously everywhere. Never played one myself though.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

FancyMike posted:

smallsound/bigsound gently caress overdrive is my favorite. He makes a mini version now that looks pretty sweet.

Huh, I don't feel like I've ever heard a complaint about it and I see them seriously everywhere. Never played one myself though.

I just grabbed a gently caress Overdrive myself and was gonna recommend it - I actually plan to run the gently caress OD with my OCD (which I love running into my Blackout Effectors VS Twosome) - if anyone is looking for a cheaper version of the OCD, the Mooer Hustle Drive is supposed to be a cheaper, tinier Chinese knockoff.

The gently caress Overdrive is loving dreamy, though. :allears: Super versatile, and the blown-out amp stomp is awesome. I wish it was a toggle and not a momentary switch.

EDIT: I know for sure that Baroness uses the OCD (into a Twosome) live, and having seen them, I'd say they don't have any tone problems at all.

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
Howdy SA Musicians. I'm selling a brand new Rane TTM 56s 4 channel mixer over in the SA-Mart. It could be your next gear purchase :) - $550 - Check it out! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510831

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

dancehall posted:

FancyMike posted:

I see a lot of OCD's all over the place as well. I've never heard that complaint.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
As long as we're talking about overdrives, what's the current "best" tubescreamer around?

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
I'm in love with my Nobels ODR-1 for anyone who is interested. I've been playing through a TS10 and this is just so much more transparent and rich. The different voices you can get out of it are stellar for the price (sub $100).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does it still have that TS essence to it? They painted it green, it must be emulating it at least a little.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

FancyMike posted:

Yessssss. The gently caress overdrive is totally sweet, either as just a nice warm boost, a sweet overdrive, or as a totally destroyed, blown-amp fuzzy sound.

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003

dancehall posted:

Nah, I've used one (v4) live a bunch, if anything, it's often the answer to tone problems!

Now that I think about it, I feel the opposite. When you're playing one at lower volumes, it doesn't sound as good as it does when cranked.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
anyone have experience with the mxr micro amp? it's just a clean boost essentially? what different boxes would be comparable?

e: is the voodoo lab sparkle drive a clean boost and ts-8 style overdrive? thx

Acute Hepatitis fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 10, 2012

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Deelon posted:

Now that I think about it, I feel the opposite. When you're playing one at lower volumes, it doesn't sound as good as it does when cranked.
My 'low volume, playing in my room' settings are low pass, volume just short of halfway, drive at about 1/3 or slightly less, and tone maxed. Run it through your clean channel at low volume and enjoy!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Acute Hepatitis posted:

anyone have experience with the mxr micro amp? it's just a clean boost essentially? what different boxes would be comparable?

e: is the voodoo lab sparkle drive a clean boost and ts-8 style overdrive? thx

Yes, it's a clean boost. Comparable effects are the EHX LPB-1 or Zvex Super Hard On. The EHX is real cheap and both it and the SHO are super simple circuits if you can handle a soldering iron and are at all inclined towards diy.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I've been selling/trading a bunch of stuff lately and ended up with this: an ebony Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Surprisingly nice guitar, really like how it feels and plays, though I really have no use for it. Figured it'd be easy enough to flip down the road when the new gear smell wears off.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

bisticles posted:

I've been selling/trading a bunch of stuff lately and ended up with this: an ebony Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Surprisingly nice guitar, really like how it feels and plays, though I really have no use for it. Figured it'd be easy enough to flip down the road when the new gear smell wears off.

This is the exact guitar I have and I love it.

I do need a new pickup switch though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Roland SH-32, meet the Micro Korg!

I'd purchased the Roland almost exactly a year ago, eager to learn more about this synth-y stuff. But while it's chock full of sounds and nifty ways to create new ones, they didn't leave room for an actual keyboard. A normal MIDI controller never appealed to me - I wanted the controller for my annoying-noise-maker to make it's own annoying noises, dammit! Eventually, I concluded that the Micro Korg succeed in this goal admirably.

So far, I've been having a lot of fun with the sounds in it, but what's really impressive has been how much it's opened up the SH-32. That really is one of the most amazing sounding budget units I've ever played with. Irritating electronic project, here I come!

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Just got a 1996 ProCo Rat with LM308. Ooh la la

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

HTML5 posted:

Just got a 1996 ProCo Rat with LM308. Ooh la la
Nice. From personal experience (I use a Turbo Rat in my current band), if you gig with it, always keep a 9V battery in there. That little male adapter has a habit of disappearing JUST when you're setting your poo poo up and were supposed to start your set ten minutes ago.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

After The War posted:

Nice. From personal experience (I use a Turbo Rat in my current band), if you gig with it, always keep a 9V battery in there. That little male adapter has a habit of disappearing JUST when you're setting your poo poo up and were supposed to start your set ten minutes ago.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense, although i have a few of them because i use the Godlyke, but having batteries around seems like a smart move in any scenario really.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you're not too concerned with flipping it for profit you should just remove the power connector and drill out the cae for a Boss-style one.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Traded away a fuzz pedal for a new bridge pickup. Bareknuckle Warpig. So far so good I’m actually really digging the clean sounds and it’s not as loud as I expected. Now to do something with the neck pickup. I’m thinking wide-range humbucker.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Picked up the Squier bass as a toy to tool around with (left). When my drummer friend found out he talked me into playing bass for his band and grabbing a better instrument (center, Schecter Omen 4, my stage instrument). The SX hollow body was an impulse buy and turned out to be really loving annoying - input jack fell apart into the body the second I picked it up, tuners won't hold for more than five minutes. It is very pretty though. The PRS copy came in the mail yesterday from eBay, has a dead-ish neck pickup, scratchy pots and the switch pops a lot. I'd return it but it's gorgeous and I don't feel like waiting around for another PS-X00 copy to surface. The AL-3110 I've had for a few months now and couldn't be happier with.

Time to start researching and pricing electronics and hardware for three different guitars.

http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba115hp/index.html

Also this for the stage. LOUD as hell for $350, still thinking a 4x10 cab with a head would've been the way to go.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I have an Ibanez AG75 coming to me in a couple of weeks - while it seems like all the Artcores are good, I wanted one that looked the most like a Gibson ES-175. I can't wait.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

FancyMike posted:

Now to do something with the neck pickup. I’m thinking wide-range humbucker.
WRHBs are larger than standard humbuckers and mount differently - at least that's the case with the originals, reissues, and most aftermarket repros. Somebody probably winds something comparable that fits in a HB mount, but WRHBs are hard to get 'right' due to their unique sound, so I'd be reluctant to buy something besides a vintage one, a Novak, or a Lollar.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

WRHBs are larger than standard humbuckers and mount differently - at least that's the case with the originals, reissues, and most aftermarket repros. Somebody probably winds something comparable that fits in a HB mount, but WRHBs are hard to get 'right' due to their unique sound, so I'd be reluctant to buy something besides a vintage one, a Novak, or a Lollar.

I have a Novak WRHB in my baritone jazzmaster and it is incredible. The problem is I don't play guitar in a band right now, just bass and baritone, so it might be hard to justify another Novak in the near future. Luckily I'm not really in a hurry either. I know Novak puts them in a standard humbucker sized route, and it actually looks like GFS does too. But I have no idea about the quality of the GFS ones and I've never actually played a Lollar pickup. Going elsewhere I'd be more than willing to route out for a larger pickup, this guitar was a gift that I don't think I'll ever be able to justify selling so might as well make it into something I really like.

Another direction I might try first is a humbucker sized P90 but I have basically no real experience with those.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It depends on what you're going for. I find hb sized P90s to be "close enough" moreso than split coil humbuckers are to single coils. Much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I've used Vintage Vibe and Seymour Duncan HB-sized P90s and they sound great, especially the Vintage Vibes. A bridge HB + neck P90 is my favorite combination for an SG, so I can't imagine it wouldn't work on a Les Paul!