Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Dirt posted:

Jaguar Pickup question: Are they just standard sized Fender single coils, or are they an odd size? Like not strat size?

They're not exactly the same size, but they're similar. 3.044" wide versus 3.031". There's also a difference in the bobbin base plate.

You can put a jaguar pickup in a strat a lot easier than putting a strat pickup in a jaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

40 OZ posted:

*disclaimer im sure some guitar god somewhere uses a limp piece of parchment paper or something i'm just generalizing

English sixpence, thank you very much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

juche mane posted:

Lots of the Squiers have Duncan designed pickups which are pretty good. See how you like them before you set your mind on purchasing new ones.

The ones in my VM J Bass are way better than a $300 bass deserves to ship with. If I see Duncan I'm usually comfortable expecting something very usable.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What's the thought on phenolic fingerboards? I picked up an explorer cheap on eBay and didn't realize that it came with one. Its an epiphone if that makes any difference in cheapness.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's cool!

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

rio posted:

V-Picks. Made from some clear material
Acrylic.

V-Picks are great but the tips tend to blunt waaaaay faster than they should for the cost.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SIR27FDIPT/sn211P01130722750#threePaymentsPopup this is a really sick deal that i wish i could take advantage of

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
also i just bought 12 sets of ernie ball cobalts from there for 7.50 a pop, which is a drat good deal for those

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Xenocidebot posted:

Acrylic.

V-Picks are great but the tips tend to blunt waaaaay faster than they should for the cost.

Yeah - the tips have also been inconsistent on the thinner picks (I forget their name, but the Jazz III type picks had a different tip on each of the picks and even slight difference in thicknesses). Have to shape them often, but honestly it doesn't take all that long to shape a tip). I'd rather have them wear a bit than have the material be too clacky on the strings.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SIR27FDIPT/sn211P01130722750#threePaymentsPopup this is a really sick deal that i wish i could take advantage of

Sweetwater is kicking booty with the sales. Even before this I got a pretty huge discount on my PRS + case. I didn't expect much because I've heard they don't do it often.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

muike posted:

also i just bought 12 sets of ernie ball cobalts from there for 7.50 a pop, which is a drat good deal for those

How do these compare to the NYXLs?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they're brighter and grind harder and last a while. they're like the messhugah of strings while nyxls are like idk really well composed pop music

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
speaking of deals, GC/musicians friend is doing a 15% off. which is okay, I guess, except it means you can get the flashback triple delay in the US for 15% off. so I did that and maybe you should too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

speaking of deals, GC/musicians friend is doing a 15% off. which is okay, I guess, except it means you can get the flashback triple delay in the US for 15% off. so I did that and maybe you should too.

Getting this + the T2 verb and maybe another one soon for that free X2 loop rebate. Pretty soon my board is going to be all TC. And by board I mean the cardboard I'm using until I get a Holeyboard :unsmith:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Prymaxe is running a 21% off on orders over $75, so I went with them. If you want anything that's excluded you can just call them and they'll email you a coupon code that will work. You could probably also try getting Sweetwater/MF to beat their discount, but I haven't tried that so I'm not certain.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Yeah unfortunately the list of vendors that aren't covered by the 15% is really long.

Look at that massive list:
https://blackfriday.com/stores/guitar-center/flyers/black-friday/page-1

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
What's the best acoustic at the $200, $300, and $400 price points? New or used.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

juche mane posted:

What's the best acoustic at the $200, $300, and $400 price points? New or used.

Seagull s6 is $419.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_s6_original.html

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
That thing is sexy. What might you recommend that's a little cheaper?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

juche mane posted:

A Yamaha like this might serve you well: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG730S

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

booshi posted:

Yeah unfortunately the list of vendors that aren't covered by the 15% is really long.

Look at that massive list:
https://blackfriday.com/stores/guitar-center/flyers/black-friday/page-1

For every GC sale the exclusion list is usually everything you'd normally get.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

OhDearGodNo posted:

yeah, that's why I specifically called out that one pedal as the thing to get; for whatever reason, only GC has it in the US.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If you go in person (gasp) or speak to someone on the phone (double gasp) they will usually apply a coupon to whatever you want, especially if you emphasize that you are ready to make a purchase.

The guy I spoke to at GC actually asked me for the coupon before I brought it up and applied it to an Epiphone (which should be excluded). At the end of the day these are companies that are driven by sales and you can work the retail angle pretty good if you just try to talk to people.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Seriously, it is like EVERY major brand. Often you can get someone to honor it, if they want to make the sale, but it is ridiculous.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

juche mane posted:

Either a Yamaha or Alvarez are the typical sub-$300 acoustics generally recommended.

Declan MacManus posted:

At the end of the day these are companies that are driven by sales

Maybe not so much in the case of GC. They're in the later stages of the PE debt-restructuring-destruction cycle, building out more retail space in smaller markets and taking on even more debt.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 29, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I got me a used Ovation for 200.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm looking at some tube amps on Craigslist. What should I look for when trying them out? What makes them more or less valuable?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

dexter6 posted:

I'm looking at some tube amps on Craigslist. What should I look for when trying them out? What makes them more or less valuable?

You should look for one that sounds good and hasn't obviously been abused. You probably also don't want one with more power than you need, because that will mean its a lot heavier and a lot less useful in many situations. You can always mic a smaller amp. If its old, consider that it will probably need maintenance soon.

More valuable = vintage and/or from a good brand name, may or may not sound better than other price levels. Less valuable = recent and/or from a less good brand name, may or may not sound worse than other price levels.

If you're into electronics and they'll let you see the innards you can look at the electrolytic caps and see if they're on the verge of bursting, which pretty much any 20+ year old caps will be.

If you have a price range and tonal preference in mind we can probably recommend something more specific.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

You should look for one that sounds good and hasn't obviously been abused. You probably also don't want one with more power than you need, because that will mean its a lot heavier and a lot less useful in many situations. You can always mic a smaller amp. If its old, consider that it will probably need maintenance soon.

More valuable = vintage and/or from a good brand name, may or may not sound better than other price levels. Less valuable = recent and/or from a less good brand name, may or may not sound worse than other price levels.

If you're into electronics and they'll let you see the innards you can look at the electrolytic caps and see if they're on the verge of bursting, which pretty much any 20+ year old caps will be.

If you have a price range and tonal preference in mind we can probably recommend something more specific.
Sorry - I'm looking at fender Blues Jr's and Tweaker Egnaters. Mostly just wanted to know what to inspect on a tube amp, other than just playing it and seeing how it sounds.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

dexter6 posted:

Sorry - I'm looking at fender Blues Jr's and Tweaker Egnaters. Mostly just wanted to know what to inspect on a tube amp, other than just playing it and seeing how it sounds.

Make sure it sounds clean at the volume you want - if it fuzzes out even at low volume levels, something is wrong, probably a tube. Check to see all the tubes light up, at least a little (don't be like some of my customers, though, who have returned amps that have sounded fine but "the tubes aren't all glowing at equal brightness!" :doh:). Those are both fairly simple amps, though, so you should hear it if any of the tubes aren't doing their job. Turn all the knobs all the way and listen for crackle (turn your guitar volume down to zero but leave it plugged in before you do this with the volume control). Crackle isn't by any means a dealbreaker, but it does mean that pot need to be cleaned (most likely) or replaced (not as likely). If it doesn't go away just from you turning the knob back and forth for a while (this solves a lot of dirty pot problems),it will involve opening the amp up, so discuss it before you make your deal.

Hope that it won't need new tubes, but operate under the assumption that it will and make sure you at least know where to order replacements from. If the amp has seen a lot of use but still has the factory tubes, they'll probably need to be replaced. These are low-power amps that are designed for home use, though, so it'll be less of an issue than buying a bigger gigging amp. Signs of worn-out tubes are mushy sound, poor attack, fuzz around the edges of the notes, and general lifelessness. It's similar to worn-out strings on a guitar.

If it has reverb (the Blues Jr definitely will, the Tweaker depends on the version) make sure that works. Tap the reverb tank (metal box at the bottom of the amp, sometimes under a vinyl cover). If you get sound when the reverb turned on, you're golden. If you don't get sound, or you get sound from tapping but not from playing with the reverb on, you'll need to have it looked at. It's not a big deal, but not a beginner job either.

If all is well, thank them and keep their contact information. Find out about a local amp tech as well - even at the lower price points, it's almost always cheaper to repair something than replace it outright.

TopherCStone posted:

You probably also don't want one with more power than you need, because that will mean its a lot heavier and a lot less useful in many situations. You can always usually often mic a smaller amp.

Emphasis on the "need". Depending on your style of music and the local scene, miking may not be an option. I've been gigging in a punk band for years, and can still count the number of venues that have mic'ed me on one hand. If you're going to be playing house shows, for instance, you need to hold your own without a PA. But let your current needs drive your situation, don't say "I might at some point in the distant future be playing with a drummer, so I'd better get a massive rig now." The more power an amp has (and the more speakers they're driving), the higher the minimum volume is to get sound. If you can only afford one amp for home and loud gig situations, get used to setting your home volume through pedals (a compressor is a great trick if you want to practice clean at home through a Twin).

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Check out my new baby!

And the family:

No, I'm not so enamored with squire strats that I need two. The pink and blue guitars belong to my daughter.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

You probably burnt up pot internals. You are using way to much solder and so your keeping your iron on points for too long. You really don't need very much and a good rule of thumb is to use less than you think you need because you can always put on more if needed. Less time spent applying heat and cleaner soldering points. It takes a bit of practice but you'll get there.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I've been trying to get my ears in shape lately, so I just started doing the JustinGuitar transcription videos. So far I've done only simple stuff where he tells you the position and scale in advance, but drat it feels good to just work something out note by note. I really should buy some of his stuff to support his site.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Day Man posted:

Check out my new baby!

And the family:

No, I'm not so enamored with squire strats that I need two. The pink and blue guitars belong to my daughter.

Merry Christmas. But put some better pups in it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What would you suggest?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There are a few Peavey AT-200s going for £119 if anyone's interested!
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-AT-200-Auto-Tune-Electric-Guitar-Black/INY

That's the one with the autotune system, so you can play all your djent in Bb and switch to Nashville tuning for a slide solo

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The newer "Baldwin era" pickups aren't terrible. They're better than the minitrons they used to use.

I'm not even sure if the 5620s have deep enough routes for original filtertrons or TV Jones filtertrons.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

There are a few Peavey AT-200s going for £119 if anyone's interested!
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-AT-200-Auto-Tune-Electric-Guitar-Black/INY

That's the one with the autotune system, so you can play all your djent in Bb and switch to Nashville tuning for a slide solo

Now I'm wondering what the most brutal slide tuning would be.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Day Man posted:

What would you suggest?

TV Jones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I was looking at his stuff for my Cabronita Tele. Warmoth has a couple no-ears Powertron Plus in stock too :ohdear: