Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Sassacre book. Colonelsprite. (Roxy has the book, though.)

I enjoy how, a dozen arrangements later, I still like to hear versions of Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
All I want is a Land of Cakes and Batter (or whatever Jane's land is gonna be named) walkaround flash, is that too much to ask?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
My guess is we're getting either a walkaround or Roxy & Dirk vs robots (and probably clips of other stuff too).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Oh man, the new album is so good. I'm not done listening yet (only at phantasmic youngsters) but still, so goooooood.

Also something I just noticed: during the intermissions none of the kids/trolls were 'commanded' to do stuff. Like there was no Dave: suplex Karkat or anything, he just did it.

So what's the deal with THAT??

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
So while we're all listening to the new album and waiting for the updates to resume, I thought I'd mention that I saw this last night and couldn't help but notice a few... similarities to a certain comic.

It was a pretty good moive; I recommend it.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Blue Atom is totally the end credits music to an 80s sitcom about an empowered young woman trying to make her way in the big city.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mazerunner posted:

Oh man, the new album is so good. I'm not done listening yet (only at phantasmic youngsters) but still, so goooooood.

Also something I just noticed: during the intermissions none of the kids/trolls were 'commanded' to do stuff. Like there was no Dave: suplex Karkat or anything, he just did it.

So what's the deal with THAT??
... Good question. I was just sitting there thinking "man it's kind of weird and difficult to navigate with just a whole bunch of "[A6I2] ==>" links", but you're right, it was almost certainly a deliberate decision. Maybe it symbolises that the characters are outside our "control" now (well, they have been for two years now anyway, but y'know), either because of where they are (between universes) or just because of how they've evolved. Will be interesting to see how that pans out once they finally reach B2.

Also, a random thought: looks like the person who drew the covers for coloUrs and mayhem is also the person who drew UU's Godtier Dirk fanart. Wonder if that means that, "in-canon", UU drew those album covers?

fake edit: checked said person's blog and it looks as though yes, they were deliberately chosen to do it because of the UU connection.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What, no Dad song? What the hellllll :mad:

As a side note, this Jonathan Coulton song I found during the break could totally have been JoCo's ColoUrs And Mayhem submission for Dualscar or Karkat :allears:

Paul.Power posted:

Maybe it symbolises that the characters are outside our "control" now (well, they have been for two years now anyway, but y'know), either because of where they are (between universes) or just because of how they've evolved. Will be interesting to see how that pans out once they finally reach B2.

Keep in mind that the actual in-universe explanation for the commands (the exiles) no longer applies to them :eng101: (somebody put some horns on that smilie)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

loquacius posted:

What, no Dad song? What the hellllll :mad:

As a side note, this Jonathan Coulton song I found during the break could totally have been JoCo's ColoUrs And Mayhem submission for Dualscar or Karkat :allears:

Keep in mind that the actual in-universe explanation for the commands (the exiles) no longer applies to them :eng101: (somebody put some horns on that smilie)

Well the Exiles haven't really applied to them in a while have they? And even then the Exiles aren't the sole 'command' voice, since they receive commands themselves.

Also Checkmate got on???? Yesssssssssss so goooood.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Squiddle Song is now my alarm for the mornings. Gotta wake up to that poo poo! :3:

Edit: And now I've just realised why Coolkid is in the Brostep style. :ughh:

MyFaceBeHi fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 13, 2012

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I should probably move past Green Ghost and listen to the rest of the album

I bet there's some really good stuff in there

Ok well maybe just one more listen

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Here's a question that's been bugging me over the last few days - if when Future Dave traveled back in time to become Davesprite, Future Rose "survived" by going to sleep and merging her dream self to Rose's, and if there are apparently loads of timelines (some ended by a time traveler going back in time, others ended for various other reasons) why didn't the dream selves absorb a whole boatload of memories from lots of different people? And does this mean Future Rose is in the dream bubbles like everyone else? Does that mean if Davesprite were to die he could be reunited with everyone from his timeline?

If the memories are only transferred from the dream selves of still alive individuals in timelines where a time traveler traveled back in time and thus ended the timeline, you'd think that'd at least have had a large impact on the Troll session where countless Aradias traveled through time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Rose's merging with herself is probably related to her being a seer of light.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, that's a bit of a headscratcher - although Aradia mostly just came back from timelines where everybody else had already died. (Such as the god-pyjama Feferi and Eridan we saw during the intermission, and presumably Karkat from Roxy's bubble romp.)

I'm wondering more about the Daveless timelines potentially left behind when Terezi gave him that choice, or when he tried to stop DD taking Rose's journals. I guess those wouldn't be incorporated since they weren't necessarily annulled by Dave's journey back like the one that resulted in Davesprite (and Seoinin might be right as well), but possibly people from them should be out there in the bubbles. Of course, those instances might not even have resulted in separate timelines since only Dave is affected and he did not "succeed" in changing anyone else's past as he did in the other case.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Possibly it has to do with the length of time they're apart. Beta Rose lived for months after separation, while Aradia probably left immediately after identifying the cause. A few weird false memories are probably easier to dismiss than a giant chunk.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Aradia wouldn't be the one acquiring memories from merged-in beta selves, since she was the one going back. (Instead, she accumulated duplicates.)

The question is whether, if any of the other troll players were left alive in one of the many beta timelines Aradia had to go back from, memories from these instances could filter into their alpha selves as with Rose.

vvvv No, I was wondering about that, too. I'm almost hoping the lands will just be perfectly featureless grey spheres. Probably won't be, though, since they seem to have named Denizens with some amount of personalization.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 13, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Am I the only one that thinks that the void session should end up having some effect on the B2 kids' worlds? I mean I know it logically shouldn't since none of the troll or kid worlds were in any way related to their prototypings, but... I dunno. I sort of feel like a void session should be completely visually barren.

I mean I know with Jane's world we are gonna see something like 'Land of Cakes and Ovens', but I think it'd be really neat to see it turn up as just 'Land'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 13, 2012

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
The whole entire story is a dead timeline, and when he finally kills everyone off, the next button is going to lead to the first comic. Personally, I can't wait to be really angry about that moment, then start laughing, then get angry again.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Land of %N_VALUE and %N_VALUE2

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Aradia wouldn't be the one acquiring memories from merged-in beta selves, since she was the one going back. (Instead, she accumulated duplicates.)

The question is whether, if any of the other troll players were left alive in one of the many beta timelines Aradia had to go back from, memories from these instances could filter into their alpha selves as with Rose.

Rose's memories merged when Dave went back. That's why I mentioned Aradia.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It's possible that none of the beta timeline trolls thought to go to sleep (like Rose did) and thus be in "dreamself mode" when Aradia went back in time (or if any of them did, they never let on about it. Does rather sound like something Gamzee might do).

Huh, that makes me wonder how on earth both-selves-awake-at-once Dirk would cope if Dave started doing time travel once he arrives in B2.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Right, I misunderstood what you were implying. Sorry.

Paul.Power posted:

Huh, that makes me wonder how on earth both-selves-awake-at-once Dirk would cope if Dave started doing time travel once he arrives in B2.

That only really matters if the Time player goes back to change something, though. Dave looped all over the place in the main B1 session without constantly creating extra beta copies of everyone else.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 13, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suspect the real reason is Hussie was thinking time travel and dream selves were going to work a certain way when he wrote it, and gradually changed his mind. The bit where Future Rose ceased to exist doesn't seem to fit well with what we later learned where everyone from beta timelines (and even from timelines that never interacted with the Alpha timeline) winds up in the dream bubbles.

I mean, it could be that she ceased to exist then appeared in the dream bubbles, or that only people who die before a timeline ends end up in the dream bubbles (so Future Jade and Future John are there, but not Future Rose) but that's not really obvious or clear.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seoinin posted:

Land of %N_VALUE and %N_VALUE2

The landscape is covered with red-X images and 404 errors; the consorts are wireframe cubes :allears:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Right, I misunderstood what you were implying. Sorry.

That only really matters if the Time player goes back to change something, though. Dave looped all over the place in the main B1 session without constantly creating extra beta copies of everyone else.
True, but the whole thing came out of this exchange:

quote:

TT: What do you think I should do?
TG: try going to sleep
TG: our dream selves kind of operate outside the normal time continuum i think
TG: so if part of you from this timelines going to persist thats probably the way to make it happen
TT: Ok.
So in a way, any time travel, even nice organised stable time loops, could lead to some kind of twin-"paradox"-y disconnect between dream and real self. Although it could all come down to Dolash's "this is something Hussie had in mind at one point but then changed his mind".

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Dolash posted:

I suspect the real reason is Hussie was thinking time travel and dream selves were going to work a certain way when he wrote it, and gradually changed his mind. The bit where Future Rose ceased to exist doesn't seem to fit well with what we later learned where everyone from beta timelines (and even from timelines that never interacted with the Alpha timeline) winds up in the dream bubbles.

I mean, it could be that she ceased to exist then appeared in the dream bubbles, or that only people who die before a timeline ends end up in the dream bubbles (so Future Jade and Future John are there, but not Future Rose) but that's not really obvious or clear.

You're probably right about the external explanation, but I do think the Time player going back to change things is what makes the difference. Unless I missed something, we actually don't have any evidence that there's anyone alpha-unrelated in the bubbles - Aradia has not listed all the reasons she's gone back over the course of the A2 session, and it seems like the most plausible (though admittedly never explicitly stated) explanation of who we've seen in the bubbles is that pretty much all of these situations involved everyone dying before she went back, and that the various alternate A2 trolls the battleship and meteor crews have encountered all came from this.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Dolash posted:

and even from timelines that never interacted with the Alpha timeline

I think it's become pretty clear at this point that beta timelines only exist if/because they loop back onto the alpha

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Something to think about is that there are tons of trolls in the dream bubbles but we've only seen the one beta John. We can infer from this that only the alpha and timelines that connect to it would get dream bubble access.

There were shittons of doomed Aradias who joined with the main timeline to defeat the Black King, essentially connecting hundreds of thousands of doomed timelines filled with trolls who never even knew of the humans to the alpha timeline. There are only three beta timelines in the kids' session: Terezi tricking John into facing Typheus, Terezi's coin flip and the Dave who went back and tried to face DD to get the notebooks back. That's only 11 alternate kids (since Davesprite is still kickin' in the alpha) stacked next to a sea of troll strangers.

However, I don't think that alpha and beta timelines are the only possible timelines. For example, the timeline Terezi viewed in which Vriska takes on Jack Noir is still a timeline, but it never actually connected to the alpha in any way, it was just something Terezi saw as a possibility. So that technically EXISTS, but I don't think we'd see any trolls who come from that timeline in the dream bubbles.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

nerdbot posted:

There were shittons of doomed Aradias who joined with the main timeline to defeat the Black King, essentially connecting hundreds of thousands of doomed timelines filled with trolls who never even knew of the humans to the alpha timeline. There are only three beta timelines in the kids' session: Terezi tricking John into facing Typheus, Terezi's coin flip and the Dave who went back and tried to face DD to get the notebooks back. That's only 11 alternate kids (since Davesprite is still kickin' in the alpha) stacked next to a sea of troll strangers.

And the latter two instances needn't even necessarily have created a genuine split! It's quite possible that only Dave was duplicated, since nothing in the putative new timelines' pasts would have changed. (And in the one definite case we saw in the B1 session, the beta timeline disintegrated when Dave went back, leaving only some of Rose's memories and an extra Dave.)

quote:

However, I don't think that alpha and beta timelines are the only possible timelines. For example, the timeline Terezi viewed in which Vriska takes on Jack Noir is still a timeline, but it never actually connected to the alpha in any way, it was just something Terezi saw as a possibility. So that technically EXISTS, but I don't think we'd see any trolls who come from that timeline in the dream bubbles.

I think this might require too wide a definition of "exists" unless, for example, that version of Vriska pops into the story at some point. It's not 100% clear whether that whole sequence constitutes an actual extant timeline (supporting arguments: Vriska is cool, everyone wants more Vriska, one of Aranea's remarks and another of Doc Scratch's could kinda sorta be interpreted that way) or just Terezi knowing what would definitely happen (supporting arguments: the viewpoint zoomed out of her head at the end, her constant use of her powers during the game would imply another whole bunch of duplicates sort of existing somewhere in some sense).

Edit: Also, in case anyone didn't see it; Hussie has said on Twitter that he's working on finishing something more content-rich for tonight. Personally, I'm hoping both the walkabout flash and the featureless land lines of speculation pan out. Jane's house in an otherwise completely empty plain. There is technically music, but it's just a sine wave at 440 Hz, constant amplitude.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 13, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I just listened to the whole album, and wow this is a great one. So many awesome songs. Also Pipeorgankind is a drat good finish.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't really describe how sad it makes me that none of Jades themes have Guardian in them anymore :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RickoniX posted:

I think it's become pretty clear at this point that beta timelines only exist if/because they loop back onto the alpha

I thought so too, but recent events have made me less certain. I mean Aranea (can't remember her name) suggested to Terezi that the potential timeline she saw with her minds' eye is a real one that actually exists in paradox space, not just a consequences she foresaw. We still don't have a great grip on who actually exists in the dream bubbles and paradox space.

Hell if it's too generous we might be looking at something like an infinite number, since each timeline will also need all of the supporting timelines that provided necessary elements (a Future-Dave-And-Rose timeline to provide a Davesprite for every beta that diverges after Davesprite became a thing, for example), and so on, and so on, possibly infinitely. Paradox space packed with a truly uncountable number of exact duplicates and minor variations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

I thought so too, but recent events have made me less certain. I mean Aranea (can't remember her name) suggested to Terezi that the potential timeline she saw with her minds' eye is a real one that actually exists in paradox space, not just a consequences she foresaw. We still don't have a great grip on who actually exists in the dream bubbles and paradox space.

Aranea told us that beta offshoots are limited, and only actions that make sense for the characters as people actually form offshoots. So it seems reasonable to further assume that all possible beta timelines are extant, but there is a finite, conceivable number of them. Like there are six ways a given situation could have gone, so five betas off the alpha, all of which die off before branching too much more.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, uh, is it just me or does the segment of Ohgodcat from roughly 1:30 until roughly 2 minutes in feature a minor variation on the main riff from Centerfold? That was pretty unexpected :psyduck:

e: referring of course to the immortal masterpiece written by musical genius J R.R. Geils

e2: man I never actually watched that video before and it is so bad

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 13, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

loquacius posted:

So, uh, is it just me or does the segment of Ohgodcat from roughly 1:30 until roughly 2 minutes in feature a minor variation on the main riff from Centerfold? That was pretty unexpected :psyduck:

e: referring of course to the immortal masterpiece written by musical genius J R.R. Geils

I am so glad I am not the only person to notice this.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I am so glad I am not the only person to notice this.

Yeah, I heard it too.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

loquacius posted:

e2: man I never actually watched that video before and it is so bad

I tried to think of a joke involving the actual lyrics of the song and GCAT but it made me feel dirty inside. :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Blue Atom is totally the end credits music to an 80s sitcom about an empowered young woman trying to make her way in the big city.

The Happiest Sax :3:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Dolash posted:

Hell if it's too generous we might be looking at something like an infinite number, since each timeline will also need all of the supporting timelines that provided necessary elements (a Future-Dave-And-Rose timeline to provide a Davesprite for every beta that diverges after Davesprite became a thing, for example), and so on, and so on, possibly infinitely. Paradox space packed with a truly uncountable number of exact duplicates and minor variations.
Ideas looping into the alpha seems as valid as physical objects; the Vriska/Bec Noir confrontation happened, then Terezi saw it happen so it didn't (because it's not alpha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Phantasmic Youngsters reminds me so much of a more minimalist Jessica by The Allman Brother's Band.

I am completely okay with this.