Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah other than the fact that Winnipeg is constantly either 40* with 1000% humidity and the worst mosquitos in the world or -40*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Whats with the haters of the sub 1K mortgage, take some time to reflect on your life choices if it is past 1 large.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whilst transit and biking is all very well and good for local trips, as I've grown older I've realized that my desire for transportation comes from wanting to get out of the city, not move around inside of it. Especially if you are an outdoorsy type, you rapidly exhaust the easily accessible options in Vancouver and doing anything interesting requires a car thanks to the horrible nature of inter-city transit in Canada.

Getting motorized was a pretty huge step up in quality of life in that regard.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Whilst transit and biking is all very well and good for local trips, as I've grown older I've realized that my desire for transportation comes from wanting to get out of the city, not move around inside of it. Especially if you are an outdoorsy type, you rapidly exhaust the easily accessible options in Vancouver and doing anything interesting requires a car thanks to the horrible nature of inter-city transit in Canada.

Getting motorized was a pretty huge step up in quality of life in that regard.

This is where having long-distance trains could actually be useful and pleasant. We don't even have high-speed rail in the Toronto->Montreal corridor, is this the age of Charlemagne? We certainly don't have commuter rail or medium-distance trains anywhere out west, either.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

This is where having long-distance trains could actually be useful and pleasant. We don't even have high-speed rail in the Toronto->Montreal corridor, is this the age of Charlemagne? We certainly don't have commuter rail or medium-distance trains anywhere out west, either.

Man, you can't even get the bloody greyhound to let you off except at a designated stop anymore, it's pathetic. It blows my mind that I can go to a developing nation and have a more convenient and customer-oriented spread of transportation options than anywhere in North America, or the west in general. I was going to rent a motorcycle in Armenia, and then realized I didn't have to because the bus network is so well developed and they will let me off anywhere.

FFS, this is the greyhound equivalent in Rural Turkey:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

PT6A posted:

We don't even have high-speed rail in the Toronto->Montreal corridor, is this the age of Charlemagne?

I'm getting flashbacks to the last time I took the train to Montreal and it had to slow down to a crawl for SOME reason, adding like 2 hours to our trip. It was maddening

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
passenger rail shares the lines with freight and freight gets priority lmao

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

RBC posted:

They own the lines so...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Man, you can't even get the bloody greyhound to let you off except at a designated stop anymore, it's pathetic. It blows my mind that I can go to a developing nation and have a more convenient and customer-oriented spread of transportation options than anywhere in North America, or the west in general. I was going to rent a motorcycle in Armenia, and then realized I didn't have to because the bus network is so well developed and they will let me off anywhere.

FFS, this is the greyhound equivalent in Rural Turkey:

Yeah, people told me "take the bus in Spain! It's great!" and I'm like, "but won't I get my head chopped off and nibbled on by a lunatic or something?" and they said, "No, it's completely different from North America and buses don't suck horribly!"

We'll see how that goes; I'm still taking the train most of the time.

RBC posted:

The freight operators own the lines. The government should build dedicated high-speed passenger lines (and I don't mean Acela-type half-measures, I mean full on 300 km/h AVE style trains) and then that problem wouldn't exist. Rail is very much an area where I want to spend money, not an area where I want to save money, but so far the development of proper passenger rail infrastructure doesn't seem to be a blip on anyone's radar at any level. If you look at the Madrid-Barcelona route, it used to be the most highly trafficked air route in the world before the AVE became operational. Now, 70% of people take the train. It's faster, it's nicer, it's more environmentally friendly, all it requires is a large up-front investment by the government which will almost certainly pay off in the long run. We're retarded for not doing this, and it maddens me that even the NDP don't seem to treat it as a priority.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

PT6A posted:

all it requires is a large up-front investment by the government which will almost certainly pay off in the long run. We're retarded for not doing this, and it maddens me that even the NDP don't seem to treat it as a priority.

Yes but how will that balance the budget?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

jm20 posted:

They own the lines so...

you mean the lines the government used to own and privatized in the 90s like a bunch of loving idiots?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Even Russia, which at the turn of the 20th century had approximately 150km of rail lines in the entire country, has a vastly more developed and passenger-oriented rail network than Canada and is our direct comparative in terms of size and climate. The more I think about it and look at eastern european nations, the more I realize that this easy car-free movement of goods and people through rural regions is what is keeping them alive while our hinterland is strangling on the goddamn vine.

We should be ashamed.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

Yes but how will that balance the budget?

:vince:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

RBC posted:

you mean the lines the government used to own and privatized in the 90s like a bunch of loving idiots?

Privatizing is all the rage these days, I think it's stupid policy.

We should make public the fiber lines too, and have the telecoms lease their use so we can get with the times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rime posted:

Even Russia, which at the turn of the 20th century had approximately 150km of rail lines in the entire country, has a vastly more developed and passenger-oriented rail network than Canada and is our direct comparative in terms of size and climate. The more I think about it and look at eastern european nations, the more I realize that this easy car-free movement of goods and people through rural regions is what is keeping them alive while our hinterland is strangling on the goddamn vine.

We should be ashamed.

Yeah this is a very known and talked about problem in urban planning. Cars are expensive, building around cars shifts a huge amount of transport costs onto the user while making it about as cost-inefficient as possible. It's not just rural areas, it's poorer suburbs, it's anywhere. And a lot of it was purposeful, poors/blacks couldn't afford cars so you're safe from them (this is why a lot of places flip out at proposed transit and will outright say the new LRT will just be full of urban ferals hauling their loot back to the city). But a lot of it was just people never imagining that driving would become more and more expensive. It makes communities very fragile. The moment your car breaks down or you can't afford insurance (if you can afford a car at all) you're absolutely hosed, there's no alternatives.

A lot of it comes down to just us not funding transit or alternatives, but the other part is our land use. You can have a low density rural areas where people can still get around without a vehicle, it's called a village. You then link those villages up with a rural bus system and have on-request stops in between. But we don't really do villages in our countryside, we just space every building as far apart as possible.

And yeah, I took a bunch of very rural buses around Czech Republic, most of the routes were just on little 1 or 2 lane roads between forests or farm fields, stopping in tiny villages, stopping in the middle of a field or forest to let a hiker or farmer or who ever off. Lots of people carrying home supplies and shopping from the nearest town. Even without a car and living in some fairly remote tiny village they can at least walk into the village and take a bus to a little town every weekend. Old people can still bus into town for a doctor's appointment. Kids can bus in to school. Yeah sometimes it's a 20-30 min walk to the bus but it's better than nothing, plus walking is super good for you. Most of these families will have a lovely family vehicle, but the bus means the entire family is not held hostage by their 30 year old unreliable skoda.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RBC posted:

Privatisation is not relevant. First of all, we need our train system for freight, so the lines we have should remain freight-priority. Second, even if the lines were publicly owned, and passenger traffic had priority, they would not be suitable for passenger rail in a first world country in the 21st loving century. We need to do what Spain and China have done with high-speed rail.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Let's build a public high speed passenger rail system without owning any rail infrastructure, rights of way, or a goddamn clue

-a loving idiot

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why don't we legalize weed and build a hyperloop

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

Why don't we legalize weed and build a hyperloop
The Good Ideas Thread.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A high speed rail line connecting Vancouver to Seattle and Portland would be pretty nice. As it is there's a train that leaves Vancouver once a day slowly wending its way around the region, slowing to a crawl to go across a 100 year old bridge and through a popular area of a town (White Rock). Every once an a while someone gets killed by a train in White Rock and people raise the idea of moving the rail line, but the discussion usually goes nowhere with folks criticizing themselves for building a town near the train tracks and ultimately suggesting some additional safety signage as if that will do anything at all.

It takes about 8 hours to get to Portland I think, but if the wifi on the train is working that's maybe better than a 6 hour drive? God it would be nice to do that trip on a 200-300 km/h train.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 28, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find it weird how every time a train hits or kills anyone it's a huge deal and trains are dangerous and we need to take them out of the city and surround them with crippling regulations, but thousands of people are killed by car accidents and it's just what ever, that's normal, cost of transportation, and don't you dare try to enforce or increase safety rules because that's a war on cars. Also when a train kills someone it's almost entirely their fault but cars frequently kill innocent people following the rules. Usually when a train kills someone I feel like that autistic onion reporter and just hope the drain (and driver) are ok.

Also has there been any followup on that Vancouver condo neighbourhood that was using a railway as gardens and wanted the railway to give them the land at ridiculously below-market values so the railway just ended up bulldozing everyone's gardens and made some noise about re-instating freight ? I really liked that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
FUCKFUCKFUCK I JUST BID ON A HOUSE AT THE PEAK OF A BUBBLE.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I find it weird how every time a train hits or kills anyone it's a huge deal and trains are dangerous and we need to take them out of the city and surround them with crippling regulations, but thousands of people are killed by car accidents and it's just what ever, that's normal, cost of transportation, and don't you dare try to enforce or increase safety rules because that's a war on cars. Also when a train kills someone it's almost entirely their fault but cars frequently kill innocent people following the rules. Usually when a train kills someone I feel like that autistic onion reporter and just hope the drain (and driver) are ok.

I think the same "blame the victim" reaction that you constantly see with car accidents is there with trains as well. Similarly as when someone is hit by a car, people will find some excuse to explain that the victim got themselves killed. For example they were drunk or they were listening to their iPod.

The difference between trains and cars is that White Rock locals probably want the train gone for a bunch of other reasons, so are more likely to suggest moving the train as a solution.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Also has there been any followup on that Vancouver condo neighbourhood that was using a railway as gardens and wanted the railway to give them the land at ridiculously below-market values so the railway just ended up bulldozing everyone's gardens and made some noise about re-instating freight ? I really liked that.

This isn't really the scenario.

It's been City of Vancouver policy for a very long time, through several different political regimes, that the Arbutus Corridor should be reserved for a "transportation corridor" for use by light rail* and/or some bikeway/walkway. You can dig up the 2040 Vancouver transportation plan and have a look at the exact wording. This is because it would be very difficult and expensive to cobble together a contiguous North/South path through the city if the City ever wanted to build a "relief" line for the Cambie line and connect the Kerrisdale neighbourhood with Downtown. Basically they're taking a super, super long view on development and have zoned the land appropriately in case they ever want to do this. As the land is zoned purely for use as a transportation corridor and it would be impossible to build any thing on it, it is not worth very much money. The $100 million+ valuation of the land that CP is seeking has no basis to reality, as the valuation is completely hypothetical, and related to using the land in a way that is not allowed. Similarly I'm sure Stanley Park would be worth a great deal if you could build condos on it, but you can't. The City wanted to buy the land for around $20 million, which is apparently what it is worth as a transportation corridor.

All this being said, supposing the City did own the land, and people had built a bunch of gardens on the land over the years because it had been unused for decades, I'm sure that if the City announced in 2040 or something that they were going to raze all the gardens to put in a street car line there would be a ton of push back by those local gardeners. I'd like to think that the City wouldn't bend on this and they'd go ahead with a street car though.

* But not SkyTrain thanks to NIMBYs. Think street cars.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You can't squat on unused crown/private land because you have a garden of tomatos and cucumbers. Maybe this is common sense talking but I'm not sure how it works out west.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

I forgot to mention that the City of Winnipeg maintains a publically viewable list of properties sold over recent years that should help you determine what other stuff in the area is selling for. http://www.winnipegassessment.com/AsmtTax/English/SelfService/SalesBooks.stm

You Realtor likely has you on that Matrix system, but that relies on them scooping up comparable properties. With this, you can look for yourself.

Good luck.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

You've done hosed up :omarcomin:

Race you to the bottomtop?
Betting on -0,50% Official Bank Rate tomorrow to give us that extra push to beat you :canada::ocelot::sweden:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How did it come to this. :sweden:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
This is a very international thread (thought not very multicultural (sorry CI))

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Baronjutter posted:

I find it weird how every time a train hits or kills anyone it's a huge deal and trains are dangerous and we need to take them out of the city and surround them with crippling regulations, but thousands of people are killed by car accidents and it's just what ever, that's normal, cost of transportation, and don't you dare try to enforce or increase safety rules because that's a war on cars.

Goddamnit, I had read the perfect article about how the general population was rallying against cars at its beginnings, until the motor lobby pulled a fast one on everyone by introducing the concept of jaywalkers and slowly brainwashing everyone into thinking "roads are for cars".

I was certain I'd saved it in my cycling activism bookmarks, but apparently not. :argh:

This Vox article is pretty good, if not the exact one I had in mind.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kafka Esq. posted:

This is a very international thread (thought not very multicultural (sorry CI))

The housing bubble is a global treasure and a Worthwhile Canadian Initiative

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

You can't squat on unused crown/private land because you have a garden of tomatos and cucumbers. Maybe this is common sense talking but I'm not sure how it works out west.
I don't know if they apply here but there are a number of laws or legal precedents related to squatting where the squatter gets some consideration in the event of a long history of squatting such is the case here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

I don't know if they apply here but there are a number of laws or legal precedents related to squatting where the squatter gets some consideration in the event of a long history of squatting such is the case here.

Haven't most of those been successfully repealed by the land owning class? I know a few european countries have drastically cut back on squatter's rights over the last decades. Can't have absentee rentiers suffering just because they abandoned a building for 30 years! That's theft!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CP rail wants to sell it, they just can't get it rezoned, so the city is like "heh heh we'll buy your useless land from you, take it off your hands, whaddaya say," and of course CP tells them to shove it and they'll use it for industrial trains if they have to, which of course is unacceptable to the multi millionaires now living beside it. Just one big game of chicken.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

CP rail wants to sell it, they just can't get it rezoned, so the city is like "heh heh we'll buy your useless land from you, take it off your hands, whaddaya say," and of course CP tells them to shove it and they'll use it for industrial trains if they have to, which of course is unacceptable to the multi millionaires now living beside it. Just one big game of chicken.

Eminent domain, is that not a thing in Canada? :confused:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Antifreeze Head posted:

I forgot to mention that the City of Winnipeg maintains a publically viewable list of properties sold over recent years that should help you determine what other stuff in the area is selling for. http://www.winnipegassessment.com/AsmtTax/English/SelfService/SalesBooks.stm

You Realtor likely has you on that Matrix system, but that relies on them scooping up comparable properties. With this, you can look for yourself.

Good luck.

Ya I found this when looking up what to expect for taxes.

It's insane. The second I started talking about putting in a bid people started congratulating me and gushing about the future as if I'd announced that I'd deliberately knocked up my wife.

The cult of ownership is real.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

EvilJoven posted:

Make sure to attempt any and all home repairs yourself, no matter how daunting. Also take photos of the progress for us

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xoidanor posted:

Eminent domain, is that not a thing in Canada? :confused:

The arbutus corridor was federally granted, so the city can't eminent domain it into their hands. Besides, CP has given the city a metric fuckton of land over the decades only to have Vancouver turn around and piss it away to their developer buddies, example:

quote:

I also think many people on this thread are unaware of the CPRs many contributions to this City. As the largest landowner and the biggest land developer in the Citys history, on numerous occasions they donated or sold land for nominal amounts to the City which was intended to be used for public purposes including for greenbelts (eg., King Edward Avenue), parks (eg. Queen Elizabeth Park, Angus Park, Quilchena Park, Arbutus Village Park etc.) and roadways (eg., for widening Arbutus Street). [Contrast this to Concord Pacific who still hasn't provided a park in False Creek in exchange for the benefits they've received over the last 25 years, or to Westbank developments, who wouldn't give up any land for a park at Oakridge despite the huge amount of density they've been given for that site. If anyone's at fault here, it's City Council for not insisting these later developers provide the infrastructure necessary to support their developments or the amenities they previously promised to provide.

However the City has often looked upon these CP sold/gifted lands as property which they can sell/give away/use however they want without regard to the original intent of the sale or gift. For example, a green belt along Puget Drive south of King Edward was originally sold to the City for $1 with the understanding it would not be used for housing; however, in the 1980′s the City subdivided the land into residential lots and sold it off. The City has also given away/sold off parts of Arbutus Street (originally given by CP for road widening purposes) so that other developers can build condos on it. And during the development of ecodensity, members of City Council openly mused about using the King Edward greenbelt for housing. So if anyones been acting in bad faith, IMO its the City for the way theyve treated both CP and many of the properties it has obtained for free or at nominal prices from that company.

I can't blame them for trying to get the real estate valuation of the corridor out of the city, when the city has done the same to all the other land that CP gave them for free.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EvilJoven posted:

Still want to know why you have 5% interest. That ain't right. Is your credit horrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Reverse Centaur posted:

Still want to know why you have 5% interest. That ain't right. Is your credit horrible?

Oh gently caress no our mortgage is super low. Under 2.7%

We calculate what we can afford based on 5% so we know that 5 years from now if rates go up we aren't stuck with a house we can't afford and have to sell at a loss because nobody is buying.

The massive wiggle room between our actual housing costs and what we've budgeted for will be saved.