Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

rudecyrus posted:

From what I've seen and read, We Happy Few has a good game at its nucleus, but it's brought down by the half-assed survival gameplay, a lack of focus, and a lot of bugs.

I watched one guy on Twitch play and all he did was beat the gently caress out of everyone with a shovel and bypassed a lot of content. It didn't seem very engaging beyond that. Really funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

People seem to be responding somewhat positively to the new remake of WHF. After a barrage of negative reviews it's now in the somewhat positive range. I hope they manage to turn things around - it's nice when devs manage to come back around and redeem themselves. And, you know, not just abandon the game like a babe in the woods.

There's a few budget horror/action/survival games that are on my radar, they're pretty small but I'd love to hear more if anyone knows about them.

Were there any updates to that Beware game? The Survival Horror driving thing? It seemed really interesting but I haven't heard a peep since that demo.

Mist Survival looks and sounds generic but could be fun. I like single player games that have a few twists, and while I'm a little down on crafting, rescuing people so you can delegate stuff to them is cool, and it seems like the different elements mix together well. If anyone has this I'd love to hear an opinion.

25 Cadre of Death is a weird sounding one. I clicked on this expecting to find mostly negative reviews ripping it apart but people seem to like it? It looks like a one man project. Anyone have any playtime on this?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone explain why We Happy Few is so bad

It's about how antidepressants are bad

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

Do you remember what the prize in the sweepstakes was?

I think it might have involved Aliens and Predator DVDs and/or memorabilia?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I legit can't tell if people are talking about "release" early access We Happy Few or the apparently extremely different actual release version and it's made this whole conversation impossible to follow

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm talking about the actual release.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quicksilver6 posted:

People seem to be responding somewhat positively to the new remake of WHF. After a barrage of negative reviews it's now in the somewhat positive range. I hope they manage to turn things around - it's nice when devs manage to come back around and redeem themselves. And, you know, not just abandon the game like a babe in the woods.

yeah. the game isn't bad at all(at its core) its just glitchy and like someone said up thread, is trying to do to many things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/97izv4/we_are_compulsion_games_who_made_contrast_and_we/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/320240/discussions/0/1736588252369024447/

the devs talked about a bunch of stuff. they also got shiton by twitter types and jim sterling of some misinterpretation quote by the writer about joy and people thought he was making GBS threads on anti depressants which they wernt.

Blockhouse posted:

I legit can't tell if people are talking about "release" early access We Happy Few or the apparently extremely different actual release version and it's made this whole conversation impossible to follow

we are talking about the full release that happended on the 10th.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The "release" that feels like itself a second early access and is so bug laden and sloppy, Jim Sterling apparently wants it to be recalled. And while I haven't really seen it as bad as his video shows, NPCs dying by falling through the floor, sliding across surfaces as they are talked to; We Happy Few has kind of a similar issue with Phantom Doctrine where its kind of piss easy when you know how to game the OH SO OPPRESSIVE Joy system by taking the right perks to negate anyone giving a poo poo if you don't take your joy and move about "wrongly" ie actually running speeds throughout town instead of a slow crawl walk that still has to deal with waiting for the right moment to shut off scanners and walk under TV screen that scream "Hey, take your goddamn hippy pills" to any bobby in the vicinity.

There are moments where you are scripted to take medication, and the game looks interesting as you see the world through psychedelic eyes and then eventually come down, however there isn't any real permanent issue seemingly to taking too much joy as that's the only way to trigger a complete come down, you barf and currently only way the joy you build up leaves your system and you get hosed up for maybe 10 real minutes at the most. But like with regular coming down situations, you just hide in a garbage can or back alley and wait for the negative effects to go away and, congrats, you easily side stepped the survival elements that were hip and trendy back when We Happy Few was asking for money in 2015. Elements that don't mesh well with the big narrative story that tries to tell you how everyone's too high to remember that they did something really bad with the Nazis when they lost and are eating quickly rotting food and loving rats. This much is made clear to you quite a lot and frequently before you move to the second island, so its up to you to care to know how truly stupid, hopeless and an abetting enabler to fascism the Brits were in this alternate world.

You do quests and steal to learn crafting recipes that can make the game better like drinking tea or big food items that can do you better than the few berries and the now 13 canteens of non drugged up water I'm lugging around. And most importantly, learn the outfits that make or break stealth in any area as Wellington FREAKS THE gently caress OUT if you're wearing the wrong clothes to the wrong area. Townies want nice clothes, downers want to kill you for your socks if you are not wearing rags. Everyone hates Gimp attire. Its one of the best ways to get perk points that just make the game even easier for you, but is like one of the only ways an environment opens up to you or lets you play as timid Austin Powers or the two other characters in a shag-a-delic quest where you hang out in a Church of Simon Says or wear gimp outfits to the sex dungeon where they play with electric cattle prods in the suit that helps you take electric damage. But it is possible to just power through the important quests and beat character scenario in like 2-4 in game days per chapter.

It is an incredibly niche game. One that unfortunately seemed to inherit the Gearbox seal of quality even if Compulsion's crime is making a game that was too late to cash in on marrying now old survival game gimmick of Day Z and Bioshock at the same time and a writer that seemingly hates people taking their medication because "it isn't REAL feelings". Like if it was just a vocal writer or just a few bugs or just charging $60 for an unfinished game with an extra $20 season Pass for DLC, it wouldn't be hated as it is. But with bad coding on top of bad developers/writers on top of Gearbox Greed stacked on a game that doesn't even deserve $20 right now? Uh, yeah, you done hosed up big time Compulsion. On a game people paid you to make. It promises much but has yet to really give a full half of the game styles this frankenstein's monster is supposed to be composed of.

On the plus side, the soundtrack really has effort put into its alt history themed Brit Invasion music.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 16, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Horror Games Megathread: Everyone hates Gimp attire.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Actually it's about how sadness is healthy and being a WASP about emotional things isnt. When you corral all your kids onto trains for the germans, that's on you and you need to come to terms with it, not take a pill to forget.

In no way is Joy showed as a necessary medication for anyone with mental health issues, it is a 'forget every bad thing you ever did' pill, and simplifying it into 'antidepressants bad' is either disingenuous or ill-informed of what's in the actual game and relying off of Twitter

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 16, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Actually it's about how sadness is healthy and being a WASP about emotional things isnt. When you corral all your kids onto trains for the germans, that's on you and you need to come to terms with it, not take a pill to forget.

In no way is Joy showed as a necessary medication for anyone with mental health issues, it is a 'forget every bad thing you ever did' pill, and simplifying it into 'antidepressants bad' is either disingenuous or ill-informed of what's in the actual game and relying off of Twitter

Like that's cool and all but also the narrative director said it's about antidepressants

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1027710721252057090?s=19

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think the game sounds like poo poo and won't play it but as a Person On Antidepressants i don't think there's anything wrong with being skeptical of the pharmaceutical industry, up to and including antidepressants. There's very little data out there about how such drugs affect people in the long term and finding a formulation that works for any given person is still a total crapshoot. It's a very young science and I'm willing to believe they're overprescribed, especially since pharma companies have a financial benefit for doing so

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's a very vapid "antidepressants are just drugs, maaan" type thing that specifically works against the much more interesting idea of Joy being a metaphor for repressing traumatic memories.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Danaru posted:

Like that's cool and all but also the narrative director said it's about antidepressants

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1027710721252057090?s=19

There we have it, I guess.

Knorth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 16, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I'm willing to give them the opposite of whatever the "benefit of the doubt is" lol because the game looks like rear end and I'm not confident that they've done a better job executing their message than they have crafting compelling mechanics, etc. Just saying that I feel like the idea that the game is directly targeting people with depression diagnoses or whatever feels a little unnecessary considering it seems like the game can't make any coherent statements to begin with -- I'd just chalk that up to being one of many themes that got muddied along the way by bad writers and not give them the credit of making some overtly antagonistic stance w]th their art

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Wouldn't it have been more effective as a deconstruction of 60s drug culture, or the excessive nature of poorly regulated medications, or literally anything else

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Or just not being a game with, like, a five year development cycle that seemed to pivot on what it wanted to do as many times.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The person whose statement they're spinning out into a big thing replied in the comments to that very tweet, saying that no, they were not talking about antidepressants being bad and they likely wouldn't have been able to get as far as they did without them.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

All I'm saying is where's my Valley Of The Dolls survival horror game complete with awkwardly detailed insider knowledge of LA and NY 60's lifestyles

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Yardbomb posted:

The person whose statement they're spinning out into a big thing replied in the comments to that very tweet, saying that no, they were not talking about antidepressants being bad and they likely wouldn't have been able to get as far as they did without them.

I mean, good on them if they didn't actually mean that, I'm just trying to figure out how else one is supposed to take that statement about popping a pill to not be sad. It can't be a statement about self-medicating with hard drugs, because it specifically mentions prescription drug culture, so...???

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I mean, good on them if they didn't actually mean that, I'm just trying to figure out how else one is supposed to take that statement about popping a pill to not be sad. It can't be a statement about self-medicating with hard drugs, because it specifically mentions prescription drug culture, so...???

The opioid epidemic that has been the result of doctors being far too willing to dole out harder medication for things that don't necessarily require them?

Though idk if that's really a thing outside of the USA

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JerryLee posted:

I mean, I interpreted it more as the idea that we shouldn't treat pills as magic tools to stop feeling sadness. That sadness is an important thing to feel sometimes. And that sometimes, the pills just hide the symptoms of things that would require more effort to truly fix, like lifestyle changes. Hence the "prescription drug culture" that is often criticized in western society nowadays. Don't quit your lovely, demoralizing job and downsize your McMansion--just pop some Abilify and keep grinding in a perpetual state of pharmaceutical numbness!

FirstAidKite posted:

The opioid epidemic that has been the result of doctors being far too willing to dole out harder medication for things that don't necessarily require them?

Didn't really think of this, but this too.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 16, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

This, it was shittly said but the writer explains his point better. It was because sterling is fat rear end in a top hat who needed some moral validation to poo poo on the game instead of just the poo poo quality and then fucktards on twitter getting even madder about it. If you want to crap on a game, do it for real reasons, like it being a buggy mess, not because the creator of super animal lesbians rpg misread stuff and went on a twitter rant.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 16, 2018

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, that's not being "sad", though. But people do misspeak sometimes and maybe that's the occam's razor explanation for this situation.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mean, I interpreted it more as the idea that we shouldn't treat pills as magic tools to stop feeling sadness. That sadness is an important thing to feel sometimes. And that sometimes, the pills just hide the symptoms of things that would require more effort to truly fix, like lifestyle changes. Hence the "prescription drug culture" that is often criticized in western society nowadays. Don't quit your lovely, demoralizing job and downsize your McMansion--just pop some Abilify and keep grinding in a perpetual state of pharmaceutical numbness!

Again, fair. It's just that without that nuance it really does come across as exactly the sort of thing you see from ignorant folks making GBS threads on clinically depressed people (and, all too often, the same sort of logic that said clinically depressed people use to avoid treatment).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JerryLee posted:

Again, fair. It's just that without that nuance it really does come across as exactly the sort of thing you see from ignorant folks making GBS threads on clinically depressed people (and, all too often, the same sort of logic that said clinically depressed people use to avoid treatment).

Yeah, I can understand that. Where I'm from, the term "prescription drug culture" is almost exclusively used as an indictment of drugs being used in lieu of other legitimate solutions, rather than for real scenarios (like somebody with a severe allergy, or who's bipolar, or who has DID). I mean, I recently heard a figure that nearly 1 in 4 middle-aged U.S. women are on some sort of antidepressant. That's loving crazy. What are the odds that they're all legitimately chemically depressed, rather than worn down from bad diet, lack of exercise, lovely spouses, meaningless lifestyles that emphasize material possessions over meaningful relationships, etc.? But pill 'em up, get the insurance money, and send them back into the work force.

That's the real horror.

WHF looks like hot garbage though.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 16, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Do people not have that family member, or friend that has that family member or something that pops a prescribed xany any time their day goes less than swimmingly? Like is the 'happy pill' really such a foreign concept to some people? Congrats, you avoided well off people who's doctor doesnt give a gently caress over the last decade!

Now, talking about the game itself, curiously enough though it's got a 'Mostly Positive' review score on steam out of almost 3,000, 71% find it fun so someone's enjoying the game. :shrug:

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 16, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

We should talk about Max Payne's opioid addiction.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If Jim Sterling doesn't like a game its probably not that bad of a game.

I don't like that guy

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

dogstile posted:

If Jim Sterling doesn't like a game its probably not that bad of a game.

I don't like that guy

Sterling is the guy standing at a podium dressed like a fascist ,right?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sterling has an extremely obnoxious video persona I can't stand but he's got good opinions most of the time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
He stopped looking like nazi and more like a circus master from a year ago.

It was part of his branding change.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly he just came across as a prick so every time his videos came up i'd listen to it for about a minute and come away from it thinking "well this guys a loving idiot" and check out a different review.

This was a fair few years ago, mind.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
His video persona is intended to be extremely arrogant. It's (mostly) an act but I think a lot of people assume he's really like that and turn off quickly.

I did the same at first but I quite like him now.

e: I should also mention he's pretty far over to the left, and not even slightly a Nazi

Ferrous fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 16, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ferrous posted:

His video persona is intended to be extremely arrogant. It's (mostly) an act but I think a lot of people assume he's really like that and turn off quickly.

I did the same at first but I quite like him now.

e: I should also mention he's pretty far over to the left, and not even slightly a Nazi

"Ironic/intentional X is still X" applies to so much more than just bigotry, or else ironic sewer levels would be good. I feel like it's a problem with a lot of nerds that they feel like they have to have and keep up with an outrageous gimmick even when you are discussing serious things.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Hel posted:

"Ironic/intentional X is still X" applies to so much more than just bigotry, or else ironic sewer levels would be good. I feel like it's a problem with a lot of nerds that they feel like they have to have and keep up with an outrageous gimmick even when you are discussing serious things.

I definitely don't think he needs the gimmick, and I'd prefer him without it. I think he enjoys doing it though. :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fascist/Nazi-lite imagery is a pretty :chloe: brand choice for someone claiming to not be a fascist or a nazi

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I know everybody acts at least a little when they know a camera is on them, but I've always preferred genuine poo poo like Noah Caldwell-Gervais actively trying to go super in-depth and occasionally adding a small joke when appropriate vs. "Hey guys you're all here to watch me do my waaaaaacky character comedy, also I give my opinion on *game* but that's just a vehicle to do jokes about." I think it's the way that guys like Noah wanna give the games the spotlight, and guys like Sterling, Yahtzee, etc wanna be the focus; they're just different approaches.

I mean, the ideal YouTube reviewer is probably Crowbcat, who doesn't even add commentary to his videos and just shows actual press footage and other people's amateur footage to make his point come across.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crowbcat isn't one person, you can tell because there are just funny videos of cascading failures like Andromeda + Evolve vs. the super defensive unfunny ones like Dead Rising 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So dead space 3 is free on xbox gold. i mean its not great but if anyone wants to play co-op, PM me.