Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

torgeaux posted:

He wouldn't have qualified for the field except as an amateur, so it's a bit of chicken/egg, anyway.
No, he got in as a sponsor's exemption. Nothing to do with his amateur status.

GEMorris posted:

It was a lot less money (because Women athletes make a lot less) but Leona Maguire forfeited quite a bit of prize money over multiple wins and top # finishes in events while she was an amateur. Being good and finishing college before turning pro will do that.
Still kind of blows my mind that in the olden days, so many top players maintained amateur status. Bobby Jones won the US open, british open, us amateur, and british amateur in 1930!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

gvibes posted:

No, he got in as a sponsor's exemption. Nothing to do with his amateur status.

Still kind of blows my mind that in the olden days, so many top players maintained amateur status. Bobby Jones won the US open, british open, us amateur, and british amateur in 1930!

Wow, that's interesting as hell. I didn't even know the sponsors exemptions could be used on an A status player.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Had a lesson last night, and my teacher was forcing me to fade and draw the ball. To understand how my body works to shape the shot.

My brain was legit melting after it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I have to be honest, the more you talk about your lessons the more I want to tell you to run away from this instructor.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

BonoMan posted:

He also doesn't get FedEx points

I think I read that if he does turn pro this year, he will get the fedex points retroactivley.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I have to be honest, the more you talk about your lessons the more I want to tell you to run away from this instructor.

oh no :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hurt my back and had to deal with spasms a little over two weeks ago. Looks like a bulging disc. I rested, heat, Motrin, flexiril, for two weeks and decided to play today and see if I could take it easy around the course.

Eh. Swing didn't cause pain, cart did, bending over to put in a tee/pick up a ball was a minor pain.

My brain says, "take a normal swing, just keep it under 100% and you'll be fine" and my body hears, "shorten that back swing, stab at it!" Took me a few holes to take normal swings, and I never got in the groove and would take that short stabby swing every now and then. I only really took full, normal swings with my wedges and a few 7 woods. After 16 holes, definitely needed to re-dose the Motrin.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm sure this is more of a question for the camera/photography thread but can anyone recommend a quality digital camera to take to The Masters? I'm going Monday so cameras are allowed, etc.

I suppose I'm looking for two different types of recommendation. First, a cheap-ish camera where I'll be happy with the photos but I'm not going to agonize over throwing it in a closet and using it once a year or whatever. Second, a higher quality camera that'll take excellent pictures, but something that would be more of an entry into photography as a hobby seeing as I have a phone for the 364 days I'm not at The Masters. Budget, I have no idea. Under $1,000(?) for the "higher quality" option I suppose. I know that once you pick a brand you're essentially in an Apple-style universe where any lenses/attachments become mostly brand specific. Would used be a better option? If I were to go for the more expensive option and then realize I don't care about photography is there a decent resale market for stuff like this?

Any input is appreciated.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'm sure this is more of a question for the camera/photography thread but can anyone recommend a quality digital camera to take to The Masters? I'm going Monday so cameras are allowed, etc.

I suppose I'm looking for two different types of recommendation. First, a cheap-ish camera where I'll be happy with the photos but I'm not going to agonize over throwing it in a closet and using it once a year or whatever. Second, a higher quality camera that'll take excellent pictures, but something that would be more of an entry into photography as a hobby seeing as I have a phone for the 364 days I'm not at The Masters. Budget, I have no idea. Under $1,000(?) for the "higher quality" option I suppose. I know that once you pick a brand you're essentially in an Apple-style universe where any lenses/attachments become mostly brand specific. Would used be a better option? If I were to go for the more expensive option and then realize I don't care about photography is there a decent resale market for stuff like this?

Oh man how big of a can of worms do you want to get into lol

You want mirrorless. Just about all the major manufactures are fully into mirrorless now, Canon, Sony, Olympus, NIkon.

You could pick up a Canon E100 with 2 lenses for under $1000 and have a really good entry level camera and lenses that should cover most of the popular ranges and allow you to use Canons full line of DSLR lenses when you're ready to upgrade.

edit: I used to have thousands of dollars in photography equipment, high end DSLR, multiple canon L series lenses until I realized I rarely wanted to carry all that stuff around and realized my phone was good enough for the things I was shooting on a regular basis.

If you're not ready to jump into this and just want to test the waters, there's a few companies online that you can actually rent camera equipment from. When I've needed something other than my phone I used them and it worked out great.

If I was going to The Masters and wanted to take really good pics I'd rent a Canon with something like a 17-55 f2.8 for nice landscape/general shots and a 70-200 f2.8 for longer range action shots where you want that crispy shot of Rory smashing his driver but want that nice blurred out background.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 24, 2024

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Oh man how big of a can of worms do you want to get into lol

You want mirrorless. Just about all the major manufactures are fully into mirrorless now, Canon, Sony, Olympus, NIkon.

You could pick up a Canon E100 with 2 lenses for under $1000 and have a really good entry level camera and lenses that should cover most of the popular ranges and allow you to use Canons full line of DSLR lenses when you're ready to upgrade.

edit: I used to have thousands of dollars in photography equipment, high end DSLR, multiple canon L series lenses until I realized I rarely wanted to carry all that stuff around and realized my phone was good enough for the things I was shooting on a regular basis.

If you're not ready to jump into this and just want to test the waters, there's a few companies online that you can actually rent camera equipment from. When I've needed something other than my phone I used them and it worked out great.

If I was going to The Masters and wanted to take really good pics I'd rent a Canon with something like a 17-55 f2.8 for nice landscape/general shots and a 70-200 f2.8 for longer range action shots where you want that crispy shot of Rory smashing his driver but want that nice blurred out background.

What's a canon e100?

Edit:

Do you want to be able to pursue photography? If so, buy a used mirrorless and a kit lens (will give you wide angle to very mild telephoto) and you'll be set for future expansion. If you want to be able to get some real telephoto shots at the Masters, but aren't looking long term, there are some good point and shoots with good telephotos.

This is a micro 4/3s camera with two lenses. The telephoto would be the equivalent of a 300mm lens on a full frame (or 35mm) camera. https://www.adorama.com/ipcgx85bk2.html

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 24, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

What's a canon e100?

Whoops, R100

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
And I know this goes without saying, but if you're at the Masters you are going to want to be able to move and take pics quickly and quietly - even at the practice round. So practice practice practice practice. Practice pulling focus quickly and manually as well as auto focus.

Also, have you confirmed what types of cameras are legal there? Sometimes venues allow cameras "except those with detachable lenses" ... essentially trying to draw the line b/w consumer and press photography.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I used a Canon M50 since it seemed like a good combo of price + performance + options for upgrading in the future (haven't used it again since, of course), but I don't know poo poo about DSLR cameras.

What I can tell you that was not obvious to me as someone who doesn't use a real camera is to buy and bring extra batteries.

The first time I went in 2019, the fact that the battery would run out didn't even cross my mind and after taking 1000 pictures in the first 3 hours of being there it was dead and that was it for the day. When I went last year I took 4 batteries and went through 2.5 of them.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Can you buy me a hat?

Legit, not joking.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I appreciate all of the info, the search begins.

Oodles posted:

Can you buy me a hat?

Legit, not joking.

For sure. I was planning on making a post once it was closer to the tournament. I'm happy to souvenir mule for any of y'all.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I took my Nikon D3400 and two lenses when I went in 2018. It worked out well enough but I wish I had a smaller, more manageable camera with me

ETA: My dad got Monday tickets for this year, but right of first refusal goes to one of my brothers. I'm just hoping he unfortunately can't make it and I can drive up and go again. I'd have a better shopping plan this time.

Omne fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 25, 2024

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I shot my worst round in probably a decade today. 108. 6 penalties, 6 sand shots, 40 putts, I was a loving disaster. I have no answers other than to just get back out there and play another round soon because my confidence is shot to hell.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Douchebag posted:

I shot my worst round in probably a decade today. 108. 6 penalties, 6 sand shots, 40 putts, I was a loving disaster. I have no answers other than to just get back out there and play another round soon because my confidence is shot to hell.

If it makes you feel any better, I dream of a round this good.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I dream of a round this good.

LOL. I mean, at times I felt like I was hitting the ball well. Had a fair amount of holes where my drive was great and I fell apart after. Other holes it was the opposite. It’s golf, had a bad round and got real down on myself. Playing once every other week isn’t enough, need to get out atleast to the range a few times a week to build consistency.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

It really does just not go right sometimes cause of one tiny thing. Shot +9 yesterday… 9 over the front, even on the back. Once i figured out I was standing slightly too far away from the ball, I stopped hitting everything off the toe.
Just keep at it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I would excitedly tune in to one LIV event if that’s what it takes

https://twitter.com/dylan_dethier/status/1750638683286589548?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Talk about going from one hobby with severe GAS to another…

• Echoing mirrorless. $1000 can get you quite a decent starting used setup.

• Used is definitely available and recommended, especially for the camera bodies themselves. Lenses tend to stay in lineups for a good, long while, but bodies get updated every few years. Used lenses tend to hold their value pretty well.

• What types of images are you looking to shoot? Even if you have some samples in mind, I think those of us that speak photo can point you in the right direction for what type of lens to get.

•Definitely look at extra storage and batteries. Some cameras have USB charging, so a power bank might also be an option.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Trip report. Played 9 holes. Am still dogshit, winter greens and fairway mats suck rear end, but 3W was favourable to me.

Op success.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Mizuno trying real hard to part me from my money with this st-max lineup, but I'm staying strong with my used jdm gimmick.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
2024 is the year I will learn golf. 2023, I started appreciating it, and now, more than ever, I want to play a cool kid with polo and a very expensive stick to hit the golf ball. I got invited to watch the Sony Open with a couple of buddies, and man, I'm pretty hooked. I have no idea what is happening, but I'm trying to learn it all before the Masters.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Finau just straight up looks too big for golf.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Carth Dookie posted:

Tony Finau just straight up looks too big for golf.

He certainly looks too big for his putter

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just pulled my clubs out of the closet where they've sat since my last round in November. :newlol:

Maybe if I clean them, I'll feel motivated to go to the range tomorrow! :douche:

oh well, maybe next weekend......back in the closet. :shrug:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 27, 2024

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I got to play today on a Golfzon TwoVision sim, it's going to be really hard to go back to anything else. https://golfzongolf.com/product/two-vision/. For anyone in southeast Michigan, https://www.playteetimes.com/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also gat drat does Torrey Pines break people. Watching a bunch of the best players in the world walk off the 18th grim faced or on the edge of crying. :dogstare:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Got really stoned and theorized the most evil golf course holes possible.

Decided the first one would be "the jaws of hell"

200 yard Par 3 uphill to a plateau so the green can't be seen from the tee. Big sawtooth open jaw shaped bunker all the way to the upper lip filled with the reddest sand possible. Bunker height to be at least 10m.

The green slopes away from the tee so without sufficient backspin it will likely roll down the back slope and off into the OTHER bunker, filled with the blackest tar sand possible. This bunker would obviously be nicknamed the devils crack.

I also think hedge mazes are an underutilized feature of golf courses. Wanna see a fairway hazard of hedges that spells out "gently caress YOU" when viewed from above.

Live cobras in the holes under the flag so if you flag out you maybe release a cobra.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 28, 2024

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has there ever been a console golf game where you can design your own course like that? I’d be all over that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

never heard of one but its theoretically possible:

plenty of games have terrain building tools and construction elements that would make it easy as hell and ball physics is ball physics so yeah. next big golf game idea sorted.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Played 9 holes, fairway mats and winter greens can go suck a dick.

But plus side, I went round in about an hour. So that’s going to be a big plus for lunchtime games when the weather gets better.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Back in the late 90's my family got a computer that had some golf game installed on it. I remember it would let you make custom holes. I don't know if you could do entire courses or not, but I did make a hole that was basically impossible to finish. I just made the green a pyramid and put the pin at the top. I spent a while putting trying to get it in but I never quite could.

Anway I've been playing some screen golf until the thaw comes along. By May I think the few courses we have where I live will be playable. I hope.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Caleb Surratt, one of my favorite college players, currently number 10 in the WAGR (really number 9 since Dunlap is number 1) has joined LIV. Bummer, he has a sweet swing that I will now never see again.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Speaking of LIV....wife and I went to dinner, and who should be seated next to us? Ian Poulter and his whole entourage

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Back update: when I get a little tired, the back actually does punish full swings. On the other hand, my driver has turned into a fairway finder, albeit with 20 yards knocked off. It's the only club I'm not swinging at my normal speeds yet. Shot a very competent 79 today with the first five or six greens impossible to hit into due to how hard they were.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Jimmybob posted:

Back in the late 90's my family got a computer that had some golf game installed on it. I remember it would let you make custom holes. I don't know if you could do entire courses or not, but I did make a hole that was basically impossible to finish. I just made the green a pyramid and put the pin at the top. I spent a while putting trying to get it in but I never quite could.

Anway I've been playing some screen golf until the thaw comes along. By May I think the few courses we have where I live will be playable. I hope.

I think is was a jack Nicklaus golf game. It was amazing. I don't remember it being detailed enough to construct the hole as described, but could do hills/cliffs if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
For the second year in a row I'm doing something weird in the beginning of the year where I am closing the face 5+ degrees at contact. Everything on the sim is low and left. What's really weird is if do this: After the shot, if I keep my grip on the club and setup again, the face is closed at address.

I don't understand it at all. At Address, my grip looks fine. It's just frustrating.