Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This drat conversation about led bulbs in garage openers just happened in the AI tools thread and I thought I was going crazy and lost my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My MyQ opener I put in this summer said LED bulbs would interfere with the signal, so I just put in a couple of CFLs that I had laying around, since I've got 10 or 20 of them that still work, and it seems a shame to throw out working CFL bulbs to replace with LED, especially since the biggest problem with them is their disposal.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know a lot about whole home water filter systems?

My wife and I had our water tested here at our house (city water) and the guy did the tests in front of us and it came back very high in chlorine and also fairly hard (6 grains per gallon). I don't have any reason to think the test was bullshit and we do taste a difference in our water and water from a portable filter we got (which he also tested in front of us and came out clear), plus my wife has a lot of dry/itchy skin issues that got a lot worse when we moved here.

So anyway, I do think getting a whole house system would be a good idea for us, but I'm just wondering about price and quality and that sort of thing. I don't mind paying on the high end for a system that will actually last a super long time since I'm youngish and this is a long term investment, like the big thing with this company is they push Westinghouse filters and that they have a lifetime manufacturer's warranty but I think the price they quoted me (~$6200 for installing a carbon tank and the water softening system) seems pretty high.

I'm in the process of getting other quotes but anyway I just wanted to check if this is like an insane price even for a high end system or if a really good long lasting one should be more like $3-4k installed. From what I can tell the average one seems to be like $1500-2500 installed for both a carbon filter and softener but I'm not sure how long those typically last, what the maintenance costs are, etc.

Here's part of the gigantic e-mail the dude sent me if anyone wants to look at it and see what exactly they are proposing to install, point out parts that are bullshit or true, that sort of thing. I really don't know a ton about it so I'm very open to advice or resources. Thanks!

Also, for context, neither of us care enough to install the reverse osmosis system so that's not really something I'm considering. I would also simply just prefer to have the fluoride since I do get cavities and such.

quote:

You have 2.0 ppm chlorine in your water which is what should be in a swimming pool. This high level causes your colors to fade in your laundry, damages the valves and seals in your plumbing fixtures (toilets, faucets, etc.) and appliances (ice maker, dishwasher, clothes washer, etc.), dries out your skin and hair and negatively affects the taste of all food and beverages you mix with or make with water. You also absorb chlorine through your skin during a shower or bath and inhale it as well. It is worth noting that chlorine also ruins water softener resin. Every system should include a carbon tank prior to the refiner/softener to prevent damage to the ion exchange resin.

Your water is hard (6 grains per gallon). This causes wear and tear on water-using appliances, plumbing fixtures such as toilets, faucets, etc. and your water heater, shortening their lives by 30-50 percent. As you may have seen, it creates scale buildup in/on your shower doors, shower heads, countertops, glasses, tubs and toilets and will, over time, cause etching, permanently damaging everything the water touches. It also exacerbates dry skin, itchy skin, and other skin conditions, and makes it impossible to rinse shampoo out of your hair and detergent out of your laundry. It makes hair much harder to manage and leaves soap and scale residue on every surface in your home.

The pH of your water is 7.5 and presents no problem.

THE SOLUTION

To remove the chlorine and volatile organics (VOCs) from your water we will install a tank containing granular activated carbon. The carbon will also remove any taste or odor and protects the water softener resin as well as all the seals in your icemaker, dishwasher, washing machine, faucets, toilets, etc. The carbon must be replaced every three years. The cost for that service is currently $300.

To remove the hardness, manganese, and many other inorganics from your water the Westinghouse Progressive Series Whole Home Refiner will treat all the water before entering your home. This will provide excellent soft working-grade water for washing dishes and laundry, as well as bathing and all other uses other than ingestion. The refiner will take your hardness level down to ZERO. You will be amazed how quickly your hair and skin improve, usually in just a few days. The media as well as all other components of the refiner have a LIFETIME manufacturer's warranty. For as long as you own it, every component of the refiner, moving parts, electronics, etc. are all covered by this warranty. Westinghouse recommends an annual service be performed on the refiner. That is $139. The refiner uses water softener salt to cleanse itself. You will use approximately $70 per year of this salt. The refiner and carbon tank can be installed in your crawlspace or garage.

The most effective way to remove contaminants (PFAS, lead, pharmaceuticals, fluoride, chromium 6, etc.) from water is with a reverse osmosis purification system.

For peace of mind regarding the water you both will be drinking and cooking with we will install a Westinghouse P-550 Drinking Water Purification System. This will provide up to twenty gallons of excellent tasting, purified, food grade water each day. Maintenance on the drinking water system requires three modules be replaced annually. They are $139 total. Every three years the membrane must be replaced at a cost of $179. The P-550 also has a LIFETIME manufacturer's warranty. It will provide you both with excellent tasting, purified water for all your cooking and drinking needs.

Because reverse osmosis technology produces water slowly the system must have a reserve holding tank. The system comes standard with a 3-gallon reserve tank. This can be put under your kitchen sink. As an option, instead of the standard tank, we can install a fourteen-gallon reserve tank. This will be placed in your crawlspace. The larger tank provides significantly better water pressure and allows us to run a line with purified water to your refrigerator in addition to the purified water faucet. It also holds much more water on reserve assuring you will never run out of clean water. There is no other company in the Triangle installing anything but a standard size reserve tank. Neither the 3 or 14-gallon reserve tank actually hold that amount of water. They each hold less than half that amount of water with the rest of the space occupied by an inflated bladder that creates water pressure.

We are licensed plumbers and are very proud of our work. I have attached a few pictures. The installation will take the better part of a day. You will be without water for no more than two hours. There is no other company in the Triangle that has a LIFETIME manufacturer's warranty on their equipment.

The equipment I am recommending is not a pulled off the shelf, one size fits all solution. We come to your home and test your water, so we know for certain that the system we install is in fact the ideal solution for your home and your water. You can buy cheaper systems. You can also purchase more expensive ones. I have never apologized for what our systems cost. They are worth every penny. So is professional installation and service.

QUOTE FOR PROJECT

Carbon tank $2360

Whole home refiner $3970

P-550 Drinking Water Purification System with three-gallon tank $1750 (installed under sink)

Fourteen-gallon reserve tank $300. (System installed in crawlspace with purified water line run to fridge)

TOTAL LABOR AND MATERIALS $8330 plus tax, including the fourteen-gallon reserve tank. There is a promotion that ends on December 27th which will save you $1350 on the purchase of a three-piece water treatment system. This lowers your investment for the entire system, including installation to $6980 plus tax. Installation without the P-550 Drinking Water Purification System would be $6230.

We also offer a $100 additional discount if you pay by check or cash. If you receive a lower written quote for a comparable system from a local company, we will do our best to match it. Just ask.

A $1000 deposit is necessary if you would like to move forward and schedule installation. We can send a SQUARE invoice to you that can be paid online. We also offer financing. Please let me know if you would like details on those options.

Beware of any companies that suggest only a water softener and not a carbon tank. The chlorine in your water will ruin the resin inside of the water softener. This results in not only rebedding or replacing your water treatment equipment but sometimes costly repairs to your home’s plumbing fixtures. The same is true with "mixed bed systems". These are systems comprised of one piece of equipment with multiple media inside, usually, a mix of water softener resin and a layer of carbon. Companies that sell this type of equipment often tout them as "space saving". The fact is, the less media in the equipment, the less contact time with the water, the less effective. This is the reason we always use a separate carbon tank with chlorinated water.

We meet so many people who are on their second or third water treatment system. Many in less than ten or fifteen years! If we are fortunate to assist you with your water, this will be the only water treatment system you will ever need to invest in. Because a Westinghouse system is made to a higher standard they can offer a LIFETIME manufacturer's warranty. If a part does fail, there will be no surprises. It is covered. Period. This means a much lower cost of long term ownership. I am sure you aren't thinking about it now, but if you move you can take the system with you.

When looking at any other company, make sure to read their warranties carefully. There are exclusions and fine print in all of them. Make sure to get their maintenance costs in writing too. It isn't easy to compare different systems. When you do, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I am happy to help if you have questions.

We know you have many companies to choose from to help you with your water. We pride ourselves on being different. We are detail oriented in everything we do, from our initial consult and testing on through to installation and service. We provide you with all the information you need up front. No surprises on installation day or later when it is time for service. You already know what your annual service/maintenance costs will be. Most companies don't even mention maintenance costs for fear they will scare you away. Some will even suggest their system is maintenance free. There is no such thing!

When service is needed, we provide it at an award-winning level. In addition to our perfect 5.0 Google review score we score 4.93 on Angi where we are Super Service Award Winners. We also have an "A+" rating with the BBB and have never had a complaint. Our ratings reflect that we are thorough, prompt, professional, and do what we say we will do. We would love to help you with your water and add you to our growing family of very satisfied happy customers.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do to earn your business. We will work to exceed your expectations.

Thank you.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 22, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I beleive that is technically racketeering.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would just have my plain old plumber ( company) install the units I wanted. Pretty sure almost all these systems are the same rebranded manufacturers.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Separate from OP’s concern… I don’t have a weird cohort and I’ve seen multiple people I know distrust city water supplies. I don’t know what source they’re getting their crappy info from, it’s like a Q level conspiracy around municipal water, and they buy bottled water instead. If your water is hard fine, or if you’re on well water yeah I get it, but man so many people distrust municipal chlorinated or fluoridated water with no evidence. Crazy sauce. Really good for a cottage industry of filtration that does very little.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Separate from OP’s concern… I don’t have a weird cohort and I’ve seen multiple people I know distrust city water supplies. I don’t know what source they’re getting their crappy info from, it’s like a Q level conspiracy around municipal water, and they buy bottled water instead. If your water is hard fine, or if you’re on well water yeah I get it, but man so many people distrust municipal chlorinated or fluoridated water with no evidence. Crazy sauce. Really good for a cottage industry of filtration that does very little.

Hard disagree.

Long Island is 1# (or #2 I don’t remember) in the entire country for breast cancer rates. No one knew why for a long time, but over the last couple years it’s been started to be linked to tap water.

https://www.nyit.edu/box/features/qa_what_you_may_not_know_about_long_islands_drinking_water

https://www.wshu.org/news/2019-05-30/report-long-island-has-most-contaminated-drinking-water-in-new-york

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/10/16/1-4-dioxane-long-island-water/

https://abc7ny.com/water-contamination-nassau-county-help-contaminated/5352036/

Also see flint.

I don’t think this is all places. I happily drink tap water in NYC. But on Long Island when I go I never ever drink it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Don’t drink the water from the tap here since they used PFAS fire retardant foam at the near by Air Force base and oh boy is that stuff a poo poo show. My gut doesn’t need to be non stick.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Hard disagree.

Long Island is 1# (or #2 I don’t remember) in the entire country for breast cancer rates. No one knew why for a long time, but over the last couple years it’s been started to be linked to tap water.

Also see flint.

I don’t think this is all places. I happily drink tap water in NYC. But on Long Island when I go I never ever drink it.

Really really depends on the area. Also, some places have water that just has a taste you don't like.

But Flint water with lead in it is pretty different from nimby water concerns

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gross

She said I could probably keep it closer to $250k if we were going to "keep all existing cabinetry"

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Don’t drink the water from the tap here since they used PFAS fire retardant foam at the near by Air Force base and oh boy is that stuff a poo poo show. My gut doesn’t need to be non stick.

Yeah, I grew up near a Naval Air base that poisoned the groundwater with PFAS for decades. Thankfully my parents bought a water cooler and had water delivered when I was a kid. Military bases are exempt from a lot of environmental and reporting rules, so if you’re anywhere near one you have no idea what they could be doing to your aquifer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol.

Also if it wasn't clear earlier I don't think you should take any recommendations on solutions from someone administrating the test. They have no incentive to tell you you're fine. You need an independent third party who makes their money on the test and analysis. Then hire a plumber to install something if you need it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I mean I can get a separate one but I watched the dude test both our tap water and the filtered water and saw the tap water which also kind of smells like chlorine already turn yellow in the test while the filter one didn't when he did the same test, as well as the fact that my wife has like bad/dry skin that started when we moved here. I guess he could have done some sleight of hand or something but our filtered water in the big filter we have both smells and tastes noticeably different than our tap water.

As far as the hardness, I can visually see mineral deposits on our faucets upstairs because they have the sort of waterfall type spigot, idk what to call it but it has like an exposed horizontal part that's getting mineral deposits on it.

I'd be willing to get it tested again but I dunno like I got it tested to begin with because I thought we had water issues in sort of exactly the way that the test came out so I don't think the test itself is the scam. I also have a hard time finding an independent place that even will come out and test, they all seem to be through filter companies. Although I could see if my town has some sort of thing you can do. I did find another company that was quoting like $4500 to install a similar whole house system so I'll keep asking around.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Water where I'm moving to, there's a plant that makes the adhesive to stick Teflon to metal pans (everything about Teflon is bad) that dumped a bunch of the stuff in the river where all the local communities pull their water supply from

Last time they tested for this chemical according to the state website was July 2020 and the reading was not 0

We'll be installing a reverse osmosis system in the kitchen and two main bathrooms where we brush our teeth to start, since they're about $500 each and it's a rental

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Lol.

Also if it wasn't clear earlier I don't think you should take any recommendations on solutions from someone administrating the test. They have no incentive to tell you you're fine. You need an independent third party who makes their money on the test and analysis. Then hire a plumber to install something if you need it.

Also yeah, if you call the city they will usually offer to test your water for chlorine and calcium levels for free, I forget what exactly

City water also probably is required by law to post all sorts of levels of contaminants in the water on at least a quarterly basis, should be on their website

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I have a pipe in the concrete floor in my garage; I am assuming it's a drain pipe and I think I need a dehumidifier for a separate issue, it would be convenient if it was a drain as I could easily drain the dehumidifier out there... Can you rent little snake cameras or something to confirm this is actually just a drain pipe? Or how would one otherwise go about this?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean I can get a separate one but I watched the dude test both our tap water and the filtered water and saw the tap water which also kind of smells like chlorine already turn yellow in the test while the filter one didn't when he did the same test, as well as the fact that my wife has like bad/dry skin that started when we moved here. I guess he could have done some sleight of hand or something but our filtered water in the big filter we have both smells and tastes noticeably different than our tap water.

As far as the hardness, I can visually see mineral deposits on our faucets upstairs because they have the sort of waterfall type spigot, idk what to call it but it has like an exposed horizontal part that's getting mineral deposits on it.

I'd be willing to get it tested again but I dunno like I got it tested to begin with because I thought we had water issues in sort of exactly the way that the test came out so I don't think the test itself is the scam. I also have a hard time finding an independent place that even will come out and test, they all seem to be through filter companies. Although I could see if my town has some sort of thing you can do. I did find another company that was quoting like $4500 to install a similar whole house system so I'll keep asking around.

Did you move from another climate or a similar one? A lot of people move to where I've lived in Montana and Colorado and are surprised at the dry atmosphere and what it does to their skin.

I'm not saying your water is safe. It's poor procedure to test for free and sell you something based on the result. It's not necessarily a parlor trick of swapping glasses, it can just be a very sensitive test that works on tap and not on filtered water. The problem is the incentive, the tester gets nothing if you don't buy a water filter. We live in a capitalist society. You make a good mark because you already think you have a problem.

I also posit that a lack of local testing means either there isn't a recognized problem in your area or you're under served. Perhaps there is a mail in test you can do.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Does anyone know a lot about whole home water filter systems?

My wife and I had our water tested here at our house (city water) and the guy did the tests in front of us and it came back very high in chlorine and also fairly hard (6 grains per gallon). I don't have any reason to think the test was bullshit and we do taste a difference in our water and water from a portable filter we got (which he also tested in front of us and came out clear), plus my wife has a lot of dry/itchy skin issues that got a lot worse when we moved here.

So anyway, I do think getting a whole house system would be a good idea for us, but I'm just wondering about price and quality and that sort of thing. I don't mind paying on the high end for a system that will actually last a super long time since I'm youngish and this is a long term investment, like the big thing with this company is they push Westinghouse filters and that they have a lifetime manufacturer's warranty but I think the price they quoted me (~$6200 for installing a carbon tank and the water softening system) seems pretty high.

I'm in the process of getting other quotes but anyway I just wanted to check if this is like an insane price even for a high end system or if a really good long lasting one should be more like $3-4k installed. From what I can tell the average one seems to be like $1500-2500 installed for both a carbon filter and softener but I'm not sure how long those typically last, what the maintenance costs are, etc.

Here's part of the gigantic e-mail the dude sent me if anyone wants to look at it and see what exactly they are proposing to install, point out parts that are bullshit or true, that sort of thing. I really don't know a ton about it so I'm very open to advice or resources. Thanks!

Also, for context, neither of us care enough to install the reverse osmosis system so that's not really something I'm considering. I would also simply just prefer to have the fluoride since I do get cavities and such.

I'll start by saying I'm a wastewater and water treatment engineer. Get water quality testing done by someone who isn't trying to sell you anything. Not that I think this guy has done the tests wrong, but I think what he's selling you is overkill.

Free chlorine at at 2ppm is definitely high, and will have taste and odour issues, as well as potential skin irritation. Typically you want this number right around 0.5 ppm at the point of residential supply (where it comes into your house). Is it as much of an issue as he's going on about? Definitely not. This reading will also probably vary with the seasons somewhat, likely dropping in the summer and increasing in the winter. How close do you live to the water distribution infrastructure? The closer you are, the higher the level of chlorine you'll see, as chlorine in water will degrade over time and they need to ensure 0.5ppm at the furthest point in the distribution network. Chlorine can cause dry and itchy skin, hardness can as well.

Hardness at 6 grains really isn't all that hard. My water is at 17 grains, but I'm on well water :v:. Do you notice significant buildup on faucets, sinks, toilet tanks, etc? Do you find you need to use a lot of soap to get things clean? Does it bother you? If yes, you could put in a softener system. You will need a carbon tank prior to the softener system because chlorine does wreck the softener media.

I don't have a clue why he's recommending an RO system for your taps / fridge / drinking water. There are no issues drinking appropriately chlorinated water, and RO will remove a lot of good minerals from the water. The membranes in residential systems are fairly loose for this reason - you don't actually want to remove all of that from the water, drinking ultrapure (think removal of >99% of this stuff) water will kill you because the water will actually leach these minerals out of your body, which also needs them. In addition, you're on residential water supply, there shouldn't be anything left in the water that would harm you. Only you can decide if you prefer the taste of it vs the cost and ongoing maintenance of the RO system. A water softener will add salts to the water (this is how it displaces the hard water causing constituants) and an RO will then remove these salts - which is literally only a taste concern.

If it were me I'd probably throw a carbon filter at it to knock down the chlorine levels and see if that addressed the issues I had with it, and step up to a softener if it doesn't. I wouldn't bother with the RO system at all.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

Did you move from another climate or a similar one? A lot of people move to where I've lived in Montana and Colorado and are surprised at the dry atmosphere and what it does to their skin.

I'm not saying your water is safe. It's poor procedure to test for free and sell you something based on the result. It's not necessarily a parlor trick of swapping glasses, it can just be a very sensitive test that works on tap and not on filtered water. The problem is the incentive, the tester gets nothing if you don't buy a water filter. We live in a capitalist society. You make a good mark because you already think you have a problem.

I also posit that a lack of local testing means either there isn't a recognized problem in your area or you're under served. Perhaps there is a mail in test you can do.

Nope we moved 20 miles from our old place.

Anyway I agree with you in general, I can look for some place else to test our water but I really do think we have a pretty obvious water issue. We live in a state capital so I'm sure there's someone here that does it, it's probably just flooded on google from the water treatment selling people.

edit: Thanks for the good reply above! I do agree that there's no point in getting the RO and we both kinda thought that wasn't really necessary at all. We do have trouble getting clothes to feel like they ever got fully rinsed off and I have deposits on the fixtures and such, yeah, I just never really thought about it before, or like I didn't connect why our clothes would still feel like they had soap on them out of the dryer.

They recently built a pump station about a mile from us and I suspect maybe we are getting our water closer to the source than we were when we moved here because of that? I'm not sure. I don't know enough about water treatment to know if a pump station is a place where water is treated. If that isn't one then I don't know how far we are from the source but my suburb isn't that big so I don't think we're like super far from it.

Well, I found an annual water report on the town's web site that had our running annual average of chlorine at 2.34 so apparently we aren't even high for the area, our town just loving loves chlorine

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 23, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I don’t know anything about your water, but my uncle is a water softener salesman and hoo boy is it ever a Wild West of predatory sales. It’s all pushy sales tactics- first the Neutral Scientific FACTS*, then the Greatest Newest Technology, then the A Good Husband/Father/Whatever Would Buy This For His FAMILY, then The Buddy-Buddy Cuttin’ You a Special Deal!

*Facts not guaranteed

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hutla posted:

I don’t know anything about your water, but my uncle is a water softener salesman and hoo boy is it ever a Wild West of predatory sales. It’s all pushy sales tactics- first the Neutral Scientific FACTS*, then the Greatest Newest Technology, then the A Good Husband/Father/Whatever Would Buy This For His FAMILY, then The Buddy-Buddy Cuttin’ You a Special Deal!

*Facts not guaranteed

Yeah that's what it seems like to be honest, I just want to get a good system with someone who will like go ahead and schedule the maintenance and make sure it's all running well every year or half year or something because I know that if it's up to me I will forget, but those companies seem to be the ones that are really into pushing the type of stuff you're talking about

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah that's what it seems like to be honest, I just want to get a good system with someone who will like go ahead and schedule the maintenance and make sure it's all running well every year or half year or something because I know that if it's up to me I will forget, but those companies seem to be the ones that are really into pushing the type of stuff you're talking about

I asked two plumbers in a row if I could get on a maintenance contract for our tankless water heater. Both said the equivalent of "lol what?" This seems like free money, they mail me a bill for $200 or whatever, they come out and swap the inline filter, flush the coils, and leave. It's nuts.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We installed a tankless earlier this year. The first annual maintenance is free, after that it’s something like $120/yr. I laughed, looked up the procedure on YouTube provided by the manufacturer, and had an electric pump and necessary hoses ordered that day. You just run vinegar through it with a bucket once it is in bypass. There’s no way in hell I’m paying someone $120 to do something that takes $3 in materials and less than half an hour of my time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyway I found another guy selling this system which is like the carbon filter and the softener in one, this with installation was like $4500 so that's less but still a decent bit more than ordering another system off the internet and just paying a plumber a few hours labor. I e-mailed two local plumbers instead of like water filtering companies and just waiting to hear back what they can do. I am not handy at all and will not be DIY-ing it, that's great for anyone who can but I hate putting stuff together.

https://www.haguewater.com/water-softeners/watermax/

There are a bunch of bad reviews for specific Hague dealers but when I looked at just people talking about the product itself they seemed to be fine with it and my actual local dealer has very high reviews on all the review sites (although some could be fake I guess)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Nope we moved 20 miles from our old place.

Anyway I agree with you in general, I can look for some place else to test our water but I really do think we have a pretty obvious water issue. We live in a state capital so I'm sure there's someone here that does it, it's probably just flooded on google from the water treatment selling people.

edit: Thanks for the good reply above! I do agree that there's no point in getting the RO and we both kinda thought that wasn't really necessary at all. We do have trouble getting clothes to feel like they ever got fully rinsed off and I have deposits on the fixtures and such, yeah, I just never really thought about it before, or like I didn't connect why our clothes would still feel like they had soap on them out of the dryer.

They recently built a pump station about a mile from us and I suspect maybe we are getting our water closer to the source than we were when we moved here because of that? I'm not sure. I don't know enough about water treatment to know if a pump station is a place where water is treated. If that isn't one then I don't know how far we are from the source but my suburb isn't that big so I don't think we're like super far from it.

Well, I found an annual water report on the town's web site that had our running annual average of chlorine at 2.34 so apparently we aren't even high for the area, our town just loving loves chlorine

If you do end up wanting RO and you're even remotely handy (seriously, you're disconnecting and reconnecting a couple hoses... hardest part is getting the spigot attached to the sink), you can get a good quality system for $320. (and that needs a $30 filter every year, and membranes "as needed"... not $120/yr)

I just put one of those in for my parents last weekend, only took an hour or two. Hardest part was finding may dad's drill because I forgot mine.

They had been somewhat alarmed after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W74aeuqsiU - and they had been buying cases of water to drink for years because they didn't like the taste of the tap water.

I get it that plumbers aren't cheap, but that's a crazy price (and makes me suspicious of their other prices too)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

TrueChaos posted:

I don't have a clue why he's recommending an RO system for your taps / fridge / drinking water. There are no issues drinking appropriately chlorinated water, and RO will remove a lot of good minerals from the water. The membranes in residential systems are fairly loose for this reason - you don't actually want to remove all of that from the water, drinking ultrapure (think removal of >99% of this stuff) water will kill you because the water will actually leach these minerals out of your body, which also needs them.

This is crap FYI. There are no "minerals" present in a municipal water supply that you miss in a balanced diet. Drink all the distilled or RO water you want.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

This is crap FYI. There are no "minerals" present in a municipal water supply that you miss in a balanced diet. Drink all the distilled or RO water you want.

My dude, I literally do this for a living and carry a professional engineering license & personal liability for the systems I design and stamp. I specifically indicated ultrapure water - which is past what a typical residential RO system will produce. Some of the systems with tighter membranes actually include a re-mineralization filter post RO for literally the reasons listed above.

The danger isn't that you won't be getting enough of the minerals from your diet - it's that if the water you drink does not contain any impurities (salts, sugars, minerals, etc. - all of which are present in your municipal tap water, as dissolved solids) it will leach those impurities from your saliva, cells, blood, etc. Will this kill you right away? No, unless you drink a lot of it at once. But you absolutely don't want to be drinking ultrapure water on the regular.

There's a reason the WHO specifies minimums and maximums for all of these items. Take a read: https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap12.pdf

I was certainly being hyperbolic saying it will kill you - a glass of it on a normal day certainly won't. But, a few litres in a short timespan (think hour or two) after serious physical exercise certainly could, and there are long term health effects of drinking ultrapure water.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I was also advised to not use ultra pure water in the hot tub for similar reasons, it will leech minerals out of the tub shell.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have a 5 stage RO/DI filter I use to make water for my reef tank, and it tastes absolutely terrible at 0 tds

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I have a 5 stage RO/DI filter I use to make water for my reef tank, and it tastes absolutely terrible at 0 tds

I'm curious - is this so you can easily control exactly what goes into the water that goes into the tank?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TrueChaos posted:

I'm curious - is this so you can easily control exactly what goes into the water that goes into the tank?

Yeah, coral require pretty specific amounts of different minerals and the easiest way to get there is starting with completely pure water and adding what you need via salt mix.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

My dude, I literally do this for a living and carry a professional engineering license & personal liability for the systems I design and stamp.

Oh snap

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, coral require pretty specific amounts of different minerals and the easiest way to get there is starting with completely pure water and adding what you need via salt mix.

That's neat!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
In Denver I was quoted $4000 for a water filter and water softener. That included running a pipe from my water supply to the water heater/ac/furnace area where the filter would be, and back. About 30 feet or so.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'd say you should also make sure that you run whatever they suggest they're going to install for you by the NSF water filter certification database. If the things you want are not listed on there I wouldn't bother/trust it.

Here's the P-550. It doesn't actually list that system as having been certified for taste/odor reduction or chlorine reduction, which I think is odd for a RO system - but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Also, RO systems will waste like 4 gallons of water for every gallon you ultimately produce.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Also, RO systems will waste like 4 gallons of water for every gallon you ultimately produce.

Between quadrupling my water consumption for $10 extra dollars a month, or damning my wife and children to breast cancer

:shrug:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

TrueChaos posted:

My dude, I literally do this for a living and carry a professional engineering license & personal liability for the systems I design and stamp. I specifically indicated ultrapure water - which is past what a typical residential RO system will produce. Some of the systems with tighter membranes actually include a re-mineralization filter post RO for literally the reasons listed above.

The danger isn't that you won't be getting enough of the minerals from your diet - it's that if the water you drink does not contain any impurities (salts, sugars, minerals, etc. - all of which are present in your municipal tap water, as dissolved solids) it will leach those impurities from your saliva, cells, blood, etc. Will this kill you right away? No, unless you drink a lot of it at once. But you absolutely don't want to be drinking ultrapure water on the regular.

There's a reason the WHO specifies minimums and maximums for all of these items. Take a read: https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap12.pdf

I was certainly being hyperbolic saying it will kill you - a glass of it on a normal day certainly won't. But, a few litres in a short timespan (think hour or two) after serious physical exercise certainly could, and there are long term health effects of drinking ultrapure water.

I'm also an engineer (unrelated field) so I decided to find some references for my assertion.

The Water Quality Association (industry group of purified water people, probably incentivized to say it's safe): Consumption of Low TDS Water

I found the WHO report that you were likely referencing: Health Risks from Drinking Demineralised Water

I'm suss of some of the studies, like morbidity of infants in the USSR. It also talks about chugging water post-exercise, and admits that regular tap water might kill you too if you do that.

I also found a statement from the EPA saying that they viewed consumption of RO water safe, and saying that "leaching minerals from the body" is not accepted fact. They kind have to say that, since I wonder what Navy sailors and astronauts drink.

If you took exception to me saying you could chug distilled water, alright fine that's hyperbolic and you're weird if you like the taste. Home RO systems are fine and safe as a primary drinking source.

In short, water is a land of contrasts.

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 23, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Water is fine, it is that dihydrogen monoxide you have to be careful with.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

Water is fine,

Source your quotes or get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So what brand softener and or whole house filter will be cheap and effective? I have pretty good tap water but soft water is better for my flowing locks.