Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

thats a huge puppet

"Movie Bad! Movie go away!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narsham posted:

Throw in how MST3K: The Movie was released, too, although I suppose that doesn't count as "TV" strictly speaking. Although I guess if they'd shifted to producing movies, we'd have ended up with a lot less MST3K to love.

Didn't the movie wind up eventually being made primarily because Jim Mallon was tired of the constant "will we / won't we" pickup discussions with cast, crew and Comedy Central? I seem to recall reading some interview a couple of years back saying that if the show itself was a happy accident, then the movie turning out as well as it did was an accident on top of an accident.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Timby posted:

Didn't the movie wind up eventually being made primarily because Jim Mallon was tired of the constant "will we / won't we" pickup discussions with cast, crew and Comedy Central? I seem to recall reading some interview a couple of years back saying that if the show itself was a happy accident, then the movie turning out as well as it did was an accident on top of an accident.

It was super cool to see it live as a teen

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Yeah, the best part of the movie was being able to watch MST in a theater with a crowd of like-minded fans. I’d never experienced something like it at the time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ja2ke posted:

Yeah, the best part of the movie was being able to watch MST in a theater with a crowd of like-minded fans. I’d never experienced something like it at the time.

Most laid back con I ever went to and Joel wasn't even there

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Junkie Disease posted:

It played for one weekend only at a lovely theater in Lombard, Illinois; seeing the sign on the marquee was the first time I had ever seen the title "Mystery Science Theater 3000" I was intrigued, so when it finally dropped on VHS, I had to rent it and see what the hell it was.

I was hooked from there. :)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Timby posted:

It played for one weekend only at a lovely theater in Lombard, Illinois; seeing the sign on the marquee was the first time I had ever seen the title "Mystery Science Theater 3000" I was intrigued, so when it finally dropped on VHS, I had to rent it and see what the hell it was.

I was hooked from there. :)

As someone from Lombard yikes that was a short lived theater. I never knew it was even showed there

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 11, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The fact that the Movie ended up being shorter than the average episode of the show is still pretty funny in retrospect

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

thats a huge puppet

Speaking of which, have you seen my chicken puppet...?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

The fact that the Movie ended up being shorter than the average episode of the show is still pretty funny in retrospect

That's because some studio executive had a weird belief that nobody wanted to see a comedy longer than like 80 minutes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

muscles like this! posted:

That's because some studio executive had a weird belief that nobody wanted to see a comedy longer than like 80 minutes.

"I know people like to have fun, but we all know no one likes have fun for TOO long."

-some dumbass

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I like to think it was the same studio executive who was always trying to wedge a giant mechanical spider into movies. What could have been.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Currently $755k away from getting 3 more episodes (6 total)
46% of the way to the full 12-episode season goal

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

drrockso20 posted:

It's shorter than EVERY episode (not counting any specials). Think about that. I can't think of any TV show where that is true.

The movie is also the only MST3K on laserdisc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The stories the guys tell about the movie is just depressing. Like I've seen some folks criticize the movie for being dumbed down in its humor and that's because it was. I think it was Kevin or Trace saying like every joke got a note back, often along the lines of "we don't get it."

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
No surprise there, the execs were convinced Barb Wire would be their moneymaker

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

I think that was a part of it, but I don't think it was just a Jim Mallon thing. The recap of the movie on the Satellite News site includes a recap of a visit to the set of the movie the writer got to take, and Kevin speculated that they could do a movie a year going forward. It seemed to definitely be a thought the Brains had at the time.

There is also a fan edit of the movie that the deleted scenes, complete with more movie riffing. I loved the movie already in it's hacked together form, but the extended version is loving great.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
https://art19.com/shows/let-me-watch-your-movie-with-you/episodes/3c233a0f-94d0-4268-84bd-e2b4d28db785

Jonah did a podcast/unofficial commentary track with Trace and Kevin regarding the movie not too long ago, if anyone wants to hear any of the back story.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

ja2ke posted:

I had something like that when I saw The Room for the first time in a theater.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

The stories the guys tell about the movie is just depressing. Like I've seen some folks criticize the movie for being dumbed down in its humor and that's because it was. I think it was Kevin or Trace saying like every joke got a note back, often along the lines of "we don't get it."

It being a bit dumbed down compared to the show along with them riffing on what's probably the most competent film ever to be riffed by MST3K does probably make it one of the best choices for introducing someone to the franchise with though

And some of those jokes still do rank among some of the franchise's best, Normal View still slays me every time I see it

TL posted:

I think that was a part of it, but I don't think it was just a Jim Mallon thing. The recap of the movie on the Satellite News site includes a recap of a visit to the set of the movie the writer got to take, and Kevin speculated that they could do a movie a year going forward. It seemed to definitely be a thought the Brains had at the time.

There is also a fan edit of the movie that the deleted scenes, complete with more movie riffing. I loved the movie already in it's hacked together form, but the extended version is loving great.

Gonna need to see that version someday

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

And some of those jokes still do rank among some of the franchise's best, Normal View still slays me every time I see it

I just had one split second of "Normal View? I don't seem to remem--" before the song started blasting through my memory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

It being a bit dumbed down compared to the show along with them riffing on what's probably the most competent film ever to be riffed by MST3K does probably make it one of the best choices for introducing someone to the franchise with though

Oh, I didn't mean to imply *I* was one of the ones who say it's dumbed down. I also agree it's a great first viewing experience, something I'm very keen on after watching people get introduced via the likes of Manos or other MST3K Hard Mode episodes.

Some of the jokes really are great.

"Watch me ram my ovipositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest, but I'm not an alien!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
"The entire side of the hill is hollowed out. What do you think's down there?"

"Uhh...pudding?"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It was kind of interesting for me the first time I saw The Movie because I'd just caught parts of This Island Earth also for the first time on TV shortly before that, and definitely noticed some of the cuts. But I don't mind "not-bad" to "actually good" movies being riffed. It always slays me how much material they get out of Cal being so extraneous as the 'hero.'

"Thank God I saved you!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drrockso20 posted:

"Breach hull, all die. Even had it underlined!" gets me every single time, and "Well, believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of success against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid ... and ... I went ahead anyway" pops up in regular conversation for me on a weekly basis.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
put you in the bitch transformer...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What's this "and the rest" crap? :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
INSERTING THE BREAKFAST PASTRY

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:j: "Oh, Carl!"
:v: "Cal."
:j: "Oh, Cal!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
"The rails are magnetized..."

"And if your hands were metal, that would mean something."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

WEENIE MAN, AWAY!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Don't leave me with the Germans!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

John Murdoch posted:

What's this "and the rest" crap? :mad:

Wow, imagine getting your butt whooped by "and the rest"!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Yum.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe, I'm in one of these boxes. Come and find me!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Put the men's room in the tower...what was I thinking??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sort this, file that. I'll make them pay.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sort this, file that. I'll make them pay.

That delivery guy is Coleman Francis.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cal honey, put your shoes on, we're at grandmas

Also:
INDUSTRY! Science and technology

Both are part of regular parlance with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing