Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

Several of these people weren't opposition leaders and many of the others increased their popular vote shares by like a percentage point or two. Compared to the examples cited here Corbyn's performance seems reasonably good for a first time opposition leader.
If you're going back in History, the last opposition leader who formed a government after not managing to do so their first time is Ted Heath, failed in 66, won in 70. That's a fair while back now and there have been a few butterflies under the wheel since. Would you consider Jeremy Corbyn to be the next Ted Heath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Please do not imply Jeremy Corbyn is a sexual predator thanks.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
look at the sad efforts of the Corbs denialists itt lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Please do not imply Jeremy Corbyn is a sexual predator thanks.

i mean, they've already tried literally everything else

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

jBrereton posted:

If you're going back in History, the last opposition leader who formed a government after not managing to do so their first time is Ted Heath, failed in 66, won in 70. That's a fair while back now and there have been a few butterflies under the wheel since. Would you consider Jeremy Corbyn to be the next Ted Heath?

I don't think such direct comparisons make much sense but it does seem like based on the performances you cited earlier Corbyn's numbers are pretty solid, and the party's standing has improved substantially during his time in office.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah so maybe Jezza closed a 20-point gap in about two months, but have you considered that somebody else might have done better :smugbert:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
someone like uh *checks* andy burnham

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Jeremy Corbyn has served admirably in dragging the party to the left and making a left wing platform electorally viable, but in ideal circumstances replacing him would be the best course. Thanks to the relentless monstering he's faced from day one, he's irrevocably tainted in the public eye and is immensely polarising as a result.

However, there is no good candidate to replace him. Any newcomer from the party's left would face the same kind of monstering, since it's the ideas rather than the man the press has it in for. And a newcomer wouldn't have the 30+ years of history as a principled left wing voice in parliament to draw upon in order to insulate themselves from a lot of that onslaught.

Similarly, lefties of his vintage still kicking around the party would have worse baggage than he has, with McDonnell being Corbyn+, Skinner being very old and not wanting anything to do with leadership and Abbott having the electoral handicap of being the receptacle for the swivel-eyed, racially charged abuse of half the country.

Corbyn is pretty much the best leader the left of the party could even dream of at this point in time, any which way you slice it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

yeah so maybe Jezza closed a 20-point gap in about two months, but have you considered that somebody else might have done better :smugbert:

Nobody else would have created that gap in the first place.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
man wrong about every political claim he's ever made makes new claim

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

man wrong about every political claim he's ever made makes new claim

the only such claim I’ve ever got wrong was Brexit

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MikeCrotch posted:

don't look at consumer debt figure s. DO NOT

OH NO I LOOKED :stonk:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
handjobs first brexit

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Hire me Labour

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Cumstoms Union

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Single Market more like Single Marcunt

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
European oval office of human shite. The possibilities are endless.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

marxist-jizzinist

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If Labour isn’t going to at least put up a feeble opposition to the brexit then how will they be able to really hang it around the tories necks?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

hakimashou posted:

If Labour isn’t going to at least put up a feeble opposition to the brexit then how will they be able to really hang it around the tories necks?

Because the tories are the ones who did it?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
"Well you didn't exactly stop us" has never worked as a counter to "you did it"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

i mean, they've already tried literally everything else

they haven't accused him of being a witch yet

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gum posted:

Because the tories are the ones who did it?

The tories were anti brexit same as labour before the referendum and now they are both pro-brexit though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TomViolence posted:

Jeremy Corbyn has served admirably in dragging the party to the left and making a left wing platform electorally viable, but in ideal circumstances replacing him would be the best course. Thanks to the relentless monstering he's faced from day one, he's irrevocably tainted in the public eye and is immensely polarising as a result.

However, there is no good candidate to replace him. Any newcomer from the party's left would face the same kind of monstering, since it's the ideas rather than the man the press has it in for. And a newcomer wouldn't have the 30+ years of history as a principled left wing voice in parliament to draw upon in order to insulate themselves from a lot of that onslaught.

Similarly, lefties of his vintage still kicking around the party would have worse baggage than he has, with McDonnell being Corbyn+, Skinner being very old and not wanting anything to do with leadership and Abbott having the electoral handicap of being the receptacle for the swivel-eyed, racially charged abuse of half the country.

Corbyn is pretty much the best leader the left of the party could even dream of at this point in time, any which way you slice it.

I think "irrevocably tainted" is a stretch but yeah this sums it up pretty well

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Yinlock posted:

they haven't accused him of being a witch yet

Tim Farron is going to accuse Corbyn of turning him gay via voodoo magic

Yinlock posted:

I think "irrevocably tainted" is a stretch but yeah this sums it up pretty well

I think they mean more people either love or hate Corbyn at this point and nothing from the media is probably going to change people's minds

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

hakimashou posted:

The tories were anti brexit same as labour before the referendum and now they are both pro-brexit though.

The tories were pro Iraq war

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gum posted:

The tories were pro Iraq war

That made it even dumber to hold it against labour though.

Anyway since they fired Owen Smith for crossing Farage, you'll be able to have stories like "A leading Labour politician called for the British PEOPLE to get the FINAL SAY in the brexit and was FIRED by CORBYN."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Corbyn good?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Good at supporting anti-semites.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Corbyn good

Tories real bad

Pissflaps the worst

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

the only such claim I’ve ever got wrong was Brexit
And Brendan Rodgers never taking Liverpool to a top 4 spot.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

And Brendan Rodgers never taking Liverpool to a top 4 spot.

Thats not political.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

however dumb a decision it was— however flukey the result— a majority of British citizens voted for brexit. to say “well it’s stupid so we can’t do it” is electoral suicide because it’s fundamentally anti democratic. the people chose wrong, but they chose, and the choice was up to them.

corbs knows this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Good way to deal with that is to let people choose again.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm yes an election didn't get the result we wanted, clearly we should just keep repeating it until it gives the 'right' result. This is not at all suspect.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rudatron posted:

Hmm yes an election didn't get the result we wanted, clearly we should just keep repeating it until it gives the 'right' result. This is not at all suspect.

If its what you gotta do to get the right result its what you gotta do.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rudatron posted:

Britain implementing “best of three” elections except during playoffs week, when all proposals are double elimination in best of five series

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Anyway since they fired Owen Smith for crossing Farage, you'll be able to have stories like "A leading Labour politician called for the British PEOPLE to get the FINAL SAY in the brexit and was FIRED by CORBYN."
Owen Smith was never a leading Labour politician. Especially after he gave up his until-that-point lifelong CND principles to complain that Corbyn was Weak on Nukes during the election. Vile.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

hakimashou posted:

I'm sorry the world doesn't conform to your naive idealism, hakimashou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Owen Smith was never a leading Labour politician. Especially after he gave up his until-that-point lifelong CND principles to complain that Corbyn was Weak on Nukes during the election. Vile.

my fav. political pic of all time is still this moron who CANNOT BELIEVE that corbyn doesn't love nukes