Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nolgthorn posted:

Are you telling me Nvidia has somehow popularized a proprietary video format? AMD can't do video upscaling?

It's disabled by default and most people never use it.

And also for most people the video looks the same but the GPU suddenly draws far more resources.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

I know I could Google and find out, but do you mean it's getting an iPad release or a Mac OS release only? I'm really curious if iPad / Apple TV are about to stumble their way into the mainstream console market.

Apple isn't interested in the mainstream console market (plus, their phones already basically are the largest gaming market).

But the new Assasin's Creed getting a Day 1 release on Apple Silicon along with the other normal systems, might just give me some hopium that, just maybe, Macs might start to see consistent gaming support over time. Pipe dream still though probably.

Edit:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

x86 to Arm translation layers are getting pretty good. Qualcomm is claiming their new Snapdragon X chips Just Work for most DX12 and Vulkan games.

edit: Speaking of, Dell and Microsoft are getting ready to announce their new push for ARM support next week: https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/15/24157120/dell-windows-on-arm-leak-qualcomm-chips-battery-life
(because everyone's getting fed up with Intel and AMD perpetually being behind Apple in terms of power efficiency, so they're turning to Qualcomm)

I'm still skeptical that Qualcomm has caught up to Apple, but it's good to see actual competition somewhere.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

x86 to Arm translation layers are getting pretty good. Qualcomm is claiming their new Snapdragon X chips Just Work for most DX12 and Vulkan games.

edit: Speaking of, Dell and Microsoft are getting ready to announce their new push for ARM support next week: https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/15/24157120/dell-windows-on-arm-leak-qualcomm-chips-battery-life
(because everyone's getting fed up with Intel and AMD perpetually being behind Apple in terms of power efficiency, so they're turning to Qualcomm)
this is somehow going to end up with microsoft switching to ARM in desperation for the next generation of xbox thinking it'd solve all their frame pacing issues and bottlenecks, huh

well if they can somehow wrangle developers to commit to extreme parallelism they might get somewhere, but that's like herding cats

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

well if they can somehow wrangle developers to commit to extreme parallelism they might get somewhere, but that's like herding cats

They already did, the PS4 and Xbox One had 8 incredibly slow cores, vastly slower than any desktop processors including launch Core 2 Duos.

Games that look good on consoles have been using multithreaded renderers for a long time now: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021926/Destiny-s-Multithreaded-Rendering

Also available in full slide + transcript form: https://advances.realtimerendering.com/destiny/gdc_2015/Tatarchuk_GDC_2015__Destiny_Renderer_web.pdf

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

But then you had UE4, which really did not utilize the 8-core console CPUs very well and modern UE4 games still run into threading issues on the PS5/XSX (see: Gotham Knights)

edit: Epic is only just now starting to try to fully utilize 8-core setups with the latest versions of UE5, and it's still not perfect.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 16, 2024

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

It's disabled by default and most people never use it.

And also for most people the video looks the same but the GPU suddenly draws far more resources.

Yeah. I tried using it in my usual scenarios in Firefox (watching 1080p60 content on Youtube scaled up to 1440p), but it brings up the GPU Wattage (on a 4070 TI) from the usual 25W to 205W; which heats up the card enough the fans on my GPU and Chassi kick in. If I screenshot the same frame, I'll spot some improved differences, but the tradeoff is absolutely not worth it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Canned Sunshine posted:

But the new Assasin's Creed getting a Day 1 release on Apple Silicon along with the other normal systems, might just give me some hopium that, just maybe, Macs might start to see consistent gaming support over time. Pipe dream still though probably.

BG3 got apple silicon support, wasn't day 1 though it was committed before launch. There's a trickle and what's there runs great.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what are the odds of Apple getting a Proton-like way of playing games ala Steam Deck vis-a-vis Windows games, or does programming not work like that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apple themselves made a proton-like layer already, but they released it under a weirdly restrictive license which prevents any official commercial use

there's nothing stopping you setting it up for personal use though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTsc_UvlT3E

there is a critical limitation going forward though, it relies on rosetta for x86 emulation and rosetta can't handle AVX code, so games like TLOU already don't work because they require AVX

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

and if past is prologue then rosetta is probably going away within a year too

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

gradenko_2000 posted:

what are the odds of Apple getting a Proton-like way of playing games ala Steam Deck vis-a-vis Windows games, or does programming not work like that

They have that, it's just not as widespread as Proton for technical reasons. It is possible to keep expanding Rosetta but it's a question of if its worth the work.

Basically, it's a lot easier to build a compatibility layer for Steam Deck since that's still a x86_64 CPU.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does bg3 still run like pants on apple silicon?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kliras posted:

It runs like rear end on my M2 MBP but that’s probably because it only has 8GB of RAM

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

change my name posted:

It runs like rear end on my M2 MBP but that’s probably because it only has 8GB of RAM

It must be a really interesting target developing for the newest Apple platforms, the M3 and M4 especially seem to have plenty of CPU and GPU power but they are just critically starved for RAM, with 8GB combined between CPU and GPU.

It's going to be really funny if Nvidia relents and gives us 12 or 16GB of VRAM on the next cheap GPU launch and that ends up kneecapping Mac gaming in a few years as a side effect.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lamquin posted:

Yeah. I tried using it in my usual scenarios in Firefox (watching 1080p60 content on Youtube scaled up to 1440p), but it brings up the GPU Wattage (on a 4070 TI) from the usual 25W to 205W; which heats up the card enough the fans on my GPU and Chassi kick in. If I screenshot the same frame, I'll spot some improved differences, but the tradeoff is absolutely not worth it.

At 1080p to 4K it makes an ok difference, and the HDR looks nice, really makes highlights pop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

They also have crossover which is the commercial project from the proton guys.

Crossover works really drat well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

It's going to be really funny if Nvidia relents and gives us 12 or 16GB of VRAM on the next cheap GPU launch and that ends up kneecapping Mac gaming in a few years as a side effect.

You can/could configure all of the M series chips with more than 8GB of ram, and it’s only been the base model Ms that have come with 8GB starting. The Pro/Max/Ultra skus all have had more in the base config.

Also the “cheap” Nvidia sku with more than 8GB available is likely the future “5060”, which is probably a year away and will probably be like $450 in and of itself. That’s the cost of an entire Mac Mini.

Ultimately the hang up for Mac gaming is that the majority of their target demo doesn’t really want to game, so Apple and the game devs don’t care to invest too much into it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kliras posted:

change my name posted:

My M1 MBP it runs pretty good, though 32GB of RAM.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

change my name posted:

Maybe I’m wrong but i got a MBP m2 with 16gb and it runs fine. Not perfect like my gaming pc but I don’t think the 8 vs 16 would make a difference, the visual quality was obviously worse on my m2 but I treated it like mobile gaming. It’s gonna have flaws

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cygni posted:

Also the “cheap” Nvidia sku with more than 8GB available is likely the future “5060”, which is probably a year away and will probably be like $450 in and of itself. That’s the cost of an entire Mac Mini.

Is this based on anything? Because the 4060 launched at $300 and I seriously doubt they're going raise the price by 50% for their entry model. I mean, they could, and if there's been some indication that they're leaning that way I'll be the first in line to sit back and say holy poo poo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this based on anything? Because the 4060 launched at $300 and I seriously doubt they're going raise the price by 50% for their entry model. I mean, they could, and if there's been some indication that they're leaning that way I'll be the first in line to sit back and say holy poo poo.

It’s been floating around on some rumor sites, but the source is likely someone making it up based on the specs. That said I don’t think we are gonna get more than 8GB at $300 from Nvidia, personally, so number is gonna go up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cygni posted:

It’s been floating around on some rumor sites, but the source is likely someone making it up based on the specs. That said I don’t think we are gonna get more than 8GB at $300 from Nvidia, personally, so number is gonna go up.

Oh, I would believe that number go up. I pretty much expect $325, and I wouldn't be surprised at all by $350. But I really, really think anything with a number ending in "60" is going to be a hard sell close to the $400 price point, regardless of how the performance measures up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MintFresh posted:

Maybe I’m wrong but i got a MBP m2 with 16gb and it runs fine. Not perfect like my gaming pc but I don’t think the 8 vs 16 would make a difference, the visual quality was obviously worse on my m2 but I treated it like mobile gaming. It’s gonna have flaws

This was at 900p low settings too. It's 8GB unified unified for everything, so that's being used for both video memory and system RAM

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, I would believe that number go up. I pretty much expect $325, and I wouldn't be surprised at all by $350. But I really, really think anything with a number ending in "60" is going to be a hard sell close to the $400 price point, regardless of how the performance measures up.

Yeah obvi we are all just guessin' here, but the 4060 Ti 16GB launched at $499 with a 128bit bus. There has been some discussion about whether Nvidia is going to up that bus size to 192, but I don't think they will personally. The target market for this card is high frame rate esports at 1080p/1440p, specifically price sensitive regions/markets and gaming cafes, and upping the bus means adding cost for a market that likely wont need it. If we are still at 128bit, we are looking at 8GB and 16GB for the ram sizes and likely still GDDR6.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are two "5060" configs, a $300-350ish 8GB and $400-450ish 16GB.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
8 vs 16GB would most likely make a huge difference in performance in a game like BG3.

8GB minimum is such a lovely configuration. Apple's gotta make their huge upgrade margins though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The Ghost of Tsushima port was released today, and as expected of Nixxes it runs incredible.

It also seems to run pretty lean too, so I suspect it’s going to look good for most people.

If only Nixxes could release every pc port… !

And for the record, the game itself is amazing if anyone is on the fence, particularly if you’re into Japan and/or its really cool history.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

8 vs 16GB would most likely make a huge difference in performance in a game like BG3.

8GB minimum is such a lovely configuration. Apple's gotta make their huge upgrade margins though.

I don't think it needs to be either/or with 8 and 16 for a video card. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a baseline bump to 10 or 12 for the entry model.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm talking about Mac's in particular.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

And RAM, not VRAM

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Taima posted:

The Ghost of Tsushima port was released today, and as expected of Nixxes it runs incredible.

It also seems to run pretty lean too, so I suspect it’s going to look good for most people.

If only Nixxes could release every pc port… !

And for the record, the game itself is amazing if anyone is on the fence, particularly if you’re into Japan and/or its really cool history.

If only Sony didn't force PSN onto everyone and make it unavailable in half the world, including my country.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
neat for older nvidia card owners: dlss 2 with fsr 3 framegen

https://twitter.com/BlooHook/status/1791131991447879858

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Canned Sunshine posted:

Apple isn't interested in the mainstream console market (plus, their phones already basically are the largest gaming market).

a big problem with Apple + Gaming (besides the fact that none of the actual head honchos gives a poo poo about games) is that they'll happily drop a whole critical component of their ecosystem if they feel like it. not good for long term support

They killed Objective C, they didn't give a gently caress about Boot Camp once they had their new Silicon, they dumped Intel as soon as they could... These are the biggest examples, but every OS release, something changes where enough apps are like "quick update to comply with new Apple feature or everything breaks". This is pretty neat for consumers in general, but maybe not for game devs who live hand to mouth from release to release

I mean, Apple Metal (their DirectX equivalent API) is 10 years old. Is it looking long in the tooth, are they gonna keep supporting it forever ? who knows? Not you, average developer, subject to the whims of Apple, roll dice!

otoh, goddamn is Apple in a perfect place to be 1 in gaming. They got the phones and the TVs and the laptops, and now even Apple Arcade. Maybe they will turn it around! :sun:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

metal isn't going anywhere any time soon but i wouldn't count on their vestigial support for opengl and opencl being supported forever

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

repiv posted:

metal isn't going anywhere any time soon but i wouldn't count on their vestigial support for opengl and opencl being supported forever

Yeah Metal is just a random example, but they play around with fonts, SDKs, rules, you name it. And the thing is they do it every year. Many of my favorite apps just fukn died because the developer disappeared (or maybe got fed up with updating for every new iOS release… )

Edit: incredible ARM chips tho. Goddamn did everyone sleep on those, ridiculously efficient and performing

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sininu posted:

If only Sony didn't force PSN onto everyone and make it unavailable in half the world, including my country.

That sucks, I’m sorry :( my understanding is that you can play without PSN unless you do multiplayer. So, if you’re a single player only kinda person like me, I think you might be good.

Of course it also makes sense to decline on principle given the situation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Taima posted:

That sucks, I’m sorry :( my understanding is that you can play without PSN unless you do multiplayer. So, if you’re a single player only kinda guy like me, I think you might be good.

Of course it also makes sense to decline on principle given the situation.

the problem is Valve (i think by their own initiative) took down the listings from those regions. as in, made them unbuyable.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh wow, that’s horrible. This whole PSN thing is a total poo poo show.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

the problem is Valve (i think by their own initiative) took down the listings from those regions. as in, made them unbuyable.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/valve-confirms-that-sony-is-the-one-who-delisted-both-helldivers-2-and-ghost-of-tsushima-on-pc-steam/

Maybe...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sony saw Xbox studios atching flak for shutting down devs and said hey let's get us some bad PR too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

a big problem with Apple + Gaming (besides the fact that none of the actual head honchos gives a poo poo about games) is that they'll happily drop a whole critical component of their ecosystem if they feel like it. not good for long term support

They killed Objective C, they didn't give a gently caress about Boot Camp once they had their new Silicon, they dumped Intel as soon as they could... These are the biggest examples, but every OS release, something changes where enough apps are like "quick update to comply with new Apple feature or everything breaks". This is pretty neat for consumers in general, but maybe not for game devs who live hand to mouth from release to release

I mean, Apple Metal (their DirectX equivalent API) is 10 years old. Is it looking long in the tooth, are they gonna keep supporting it forever ? who knows? Not you, average developer, subject to the whims of Apple, roll dice!

otoh, goddamn is Apple in a perfect place to be 1 in gaming. They got the phones and the TVs and the laptops, and now even Apple Arcade. Maybe they will turn it around! :sun:

Yeah this is kind of a bummer. I only have one laptop with their own silicon and it owns (The m2 chip)