Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
How old is the pope's doctor? Why would anyone expect he would die by default and it requires some sort of special explanation about secret rich people drugs? Most people do not die of covid. Even if you are 100+ the most likely outcome is survival. It's a bad disease across populations but no one specific guy is specifically that likely to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How old is the pope's doctor? Why would anyone expect he would die by default and it requires some sort of special explanation about secret rich people drugs? Most people do not die of covid. Even if you are 100+ the most likely outcome is survival. It's a bad disease across populations but no one specific guy is specifically that likely to die.

dumb post

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
just the flu bro

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

we'll cross 400k dead in the US this week. wonder if anyone will care

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

In Training posted:

well those people would have died from something else anyway

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pope's doctor shot himself with the pope's gun actually

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Secret rich people drugs which only like two doctors know about

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A good way to examine an argument is to take it to an extreme and see what happens.

For example, your post of "Most people do not die of covid" is technically true for any disease with a 49% or lower fatality rate. Its like its noteworthy even if most people don't die.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

In Training posted:

hmm maybe the cure ain't worse than the disease after all

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

For reference about 625,000 soldiers died in the American Civil War. lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

400k that are acknowledged as having been caused by covid. we are probably already past the civil war in actuality

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

For example, your post of "Most people do not die of covid" is technically true for any disease with a 49% or lower fatality rate.

Uhh, that doesn't sound "technically true", that just sounds regular true. The expected outcome of an individual is far and away that they survive. The expectation of a group is that a percentage dies. Like for a teen it's a 1 in 100,000 chance of death, which is basically nothing for an individual but is a massive bloodbath for a population.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
lol this is some pedantic bullshit just to have an excuse to argue online

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/ConanGShore/status/1348706665793810437?s=19

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

MODS???

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

400k that are acknowledged as having been caused by covid. we are probably already past the civil war in actuality

Gonna own when states have to setup sweep teams to go door to door to find bodies of dead old people in their homes no one has noticed went missing

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gonna own when states have to setup sweep teams to go door to door to find bodies of dead old people in their homes no one has noticed went missing

as long as their rent is set to be paid automatically from their bank accounts this will be a long, long process

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

B-Rock452 posted:

Not sure what shot you got but my wife had no reaction to the first pfizer shot and got completely floored by the second one. Like huddled in bed covered in blankets and shivering uncontrollably a few hours after she got it.

hell yeah i want that for my second dose. i got the moderna jab

what's funny is i actually wouldn't be as worried about loving up my first dose if i felt confident i will be getting my second. but Biden talking about releasing all the doses and having faith there will be enough supplies for the second doses makes me extremely uneasy.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i just got pozzed with bill gates pfizer microchip. county health department said they were only doing frontline workers, i took a gamble and assumed they wouldnt turn me down.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

B-Rock452 posted:

Not sure what shot you got but my wife had no reaction to the first pfizer shot and got completely floored by the second one. Like huddled in bed covered in blankets and shivering uncontrollably a few hours after she got it.

Hoping when I get the shot I be like this

https://twitter.com/Calvinn_Hobbes/status/1348993208425074690?s=19

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's your DNA changing and your immune system trying to destroy the foreign tissue, before itself becoming overwhelmed and spreading your new DNA throughout your body.

the vaccine doesn't change your DNA, that's what retroviruses and CRISPR do. mRNA is what DNA outputs to the rest of the cell to make proteins. its transcribed a few times then is digested naturally

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingexecutive posted:

the vaccine doesn't change your DNA, that's what retroviruses and CRISPR do. mRNA is what DNA outputs to the rest of the cell to make proteins. its transcribed a few times then is digested naturally

People are saying vaccine lies "ironically" just coincidentally next to months and months of 'just asking questions' about vaccines nonironically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pope's doctor plot

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Fireside Nut posted:

can soreness in the arm be indicative of an immune reaction or is that more likely due tot he trauma of the injection itself?

I really am worried I hosed up my shot by taking that Turmeric supplement everyday. I stopped it yesterday so I’ll hopefully have a good response from the second shot

Swelling and soreness are usually signs of your immune system reacting, yes, since extra white blood cells will be sent to the site to see what the hubbub is.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah the mrna just hijacks some ribosomes.

it uses the cell’s own mechanisms to produce some copies of a protein but it doesn’t insert itself into your genome. in fact it uses the same mechanism your cell uses (a “counter” section that gets one repetition of a certain rna chunk deleted each time a protein is produced) to limit the number of proteins each mrna strand can make before it gets destroyed.

it’s not sticking around in your system or attempting to reproduce itself like a virus. once all the mrna in the shot is used up, the vaccine and the proteins it made are gone.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pope's doctor plot

Hercule poirot and his covid mustache

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

puve posted:

The pope's doctor shot himself with the pope's gun actually

The Pope’s Gun sounds like a fuckin’ sick legendary drop.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

For reference about 625,000 soldiers died in the American Civil War. lmao

Somebody update that “deadliest days in US history” memechart I’m pretty sure Roni would be up to at least 8 of the top 10 now

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

78 and in the middle of cancer treatment, so he was super high risk.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Admiral Ray posted:

Swelling and soreness are usually signs of your immune system reacting, yes, since extra white blood cells will be sent to the site to see what the hubbub is.

:dance:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

MadJackal posted:

The Pope’s Gun sounds like a fuckin’ sick legendary drop.

lol

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah the mrna just hijacks some ribosomes.

it uses the cell’s own mechanisms to produce some copies of a protein but it doesn’t insert itself into your genome. in fact it uses the same mechanism your cell uses (a “counter” section that gets one repetition of a certain rna chunk deleted each time a protein is produced) to limit the number of proteins each mrna strand can make before it gets destroyed.

it’s not sticking around in your system or attempting to reproduce itself like a virus. once all the mrna in the shot is used up, the vaccine and the proteins it made are gone.

I’m genuinely curious what happens to the spike proteins after they get produced. i have no idea how this poo poo works but I just imagine them floating around my bloodstream like a dismembered lobster claw until they get stuck onto some other unsuspecting cell that recognizes it as a threat and begins an immune process.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pope Doctor Lung Cake

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Fireside Nut posted:

can soreness in the arm be indicative of an immune reaction or is that more likely due tot he trauma of the injection itself?

I really am worried I hosed up my shot by taking that Turmeric supplement everyday. I stopped it yesterday so I’ll hopefully have a good response from the second shot

Yes, it's your immune system doing it's thing.

I wouldn't worry about your turmeric supplement. It may be slightly anti-inflammatory when you're on it, but it's not like it makes you immunocompromised. It's a good idea to stay off of it until the side-effects from the vaccine subside.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

loving incredible lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People are saying vaccine lies "ironically" just coincidentally next to months and months of 'just asking questions' about vaccines nonironically.

When a process is set up to ensure something is safe and then isn't followed, it isn't unreasonable to question the results' safety. Asking the questions that need to be answered before it can be surmised it is safe, is literally the point of the safety process.

Not doing that isn't some "own" on the people that do, it just means you are intellectually dishonest.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Teenage Riot posted:

Somebody update that “deadliest days in US history” memechart I’m pretty sure Roni would be up to at least 8 of the top 10 now

9 out of 10. Galveston Hurricane is now the only single day/cause mass casualty event that's not "a day in the last month"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Don't trials usually take longer to determine both safety and efficacy because they're much smaller and there isn't an insanely infectious uncontrolled virus raging through most of the world? We know that Pfizer and Moderna reached their endpoints more quickly than originally anticipated because infections were spiking in October.

Are that public health/virologist/vaccinologist or other relevant experts expressing concerns over the safety of these vaccines?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Uhh, that doesn't sound "technically true", that just sounds regular true. The expected outcome of an individual is far and away that they survive. The expectation of a group is that a percentage dies. Like for a teen it's a 1 in 100,000 chance of death, which is basically nothing for an individual but is a massive bloodbath for a population.

My point went over your head and I know its on purpose as part of your gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's this... the secret rich people drugs are malfunctioning and killing off the elite. It's quite the scandal.