Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

As poo poo as the Cybertruck is, I can't help but see it as an inflection point: either we're getting armored vehicles for consumers now, or vehicles scale down to reasonable sizes again.

For about twenty decades, car manufacturers (and truck manufacturers) have made their products aesthetically more aggressive, bigger, and more powerful. And they've sold that by making that an expression of manliness and strength. And that is really what I see people looking for in the Cybertruck. They're not interested in its iPad or its electric motor. They like that they can feel like they're in Night City. They want to make a grocery trip feel like a dystopian action movie. That's the only time they and their 300000 software engineer salary need to interact with normal people out of their insulated bubble, so perfect opportunity to make it sound like a daring adventure.

All those dinguses showcasing how you can throw stuff against the steel panels? Sell those guys an armored Ford truck. With a martial sounding name, like Patriot Badger or something. Mercedes and BMW can get in on the grift too. Panels have been thickened with armor. Windows are bulletproof glass. Headlight get metal Xs in front of them for protection. Touchscreen gets a rubberized frame for protection. Cup holders are made out of metal (tactical). Maybe the cars come with pre-installed holsters for guns and rifles.

Either the Cybertruck is just the harbinger of these chud vehicles, or it has made the idea of them so embarrassing that people buy normal cars again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't they already pivot back away from robotaxis?

They’re in the process of pivoting away from employing people

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lord Stimperor posted:

As poo poo as the Cybertruck is, I can't help but see it as an inflection point: either we're getting armored vehicles for consumers now, or vehicles scale down to reasonable sizes again.

For about twenty decades, car manufacturers (and truck manufacturers) have made their products aesthetically more aggressive, bigger, and more powerful. And they've sold that by making that an expression of manliness and strength. And that is really what I see people looking for in the Cybertruck. They're not interested in its iPad or its electric motor. They like that they can feel like they're in Night City. They want to make a grocery trip feel like a dystopian action movie. That's the only time they and their 300000 software engineer salary need to interact with normal people out of their insulated bubble, so perfect opportunity to make it sound like a daring adventure.

All those dinguses showcasing how you can throw stuff against the steel panels? Sell those guys an armored Ford truck. With a martial sounding name, like Patriot Badger or something. Mercedes and BMW can get in on the grift too. Panels have been thickened with armor. Windows are bulletproof glass. Headlight get metal Xs in front of them for protection. Touchscreen gets a rubberized frame for protection. Cup holders are made out of metal (tactical). Maybe the cars come with pre-installed holsters for guns and rifles.

Either the Cybertruck is just the harbinger of these chud vehicles, or it has made the idea of them so embarrassing that people buy normal cars again.

You’ve been able to buy a bulletproof Mercedes or BMW for ages. I don’t know what share of their income it is but selling armored luxury sedans to rich people and government officials in dangerous countries is solid business for them. They’re just not in-your-face big truck designs because that’s not what those customers are asking for.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lord Stimperor posted:

The Cybertruck isn't a harbinger, it is an armoured vehicle. Haven't you noticed those ablative steel plates covering it?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say:

LOL at the redirect from twitter to x, it's literally using a token to redirect *all* traffic, because it automatically sends x.com to twitter.com, but then the twitter domain has to take the token and send it to the special sanitized x.com(no redirects) location?

Even the default https://twitter.com and https://x.com do this poo poo, it's so loving ham-fisted

EDIT: Also, this is completely stupid and now that I can't even pull up individual tweets without invoking some UID token and having page redirects like it's 2006, I'm in the "just take a screenshot of the tweet" club :colbert:

Mistle fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 19, 2024

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mistle posted:

I just want to say:

LOL at the redirect from twitter to x, it's literally using a token to redirect *all* traffic, because it automatically sends x.com to twitter.com, but then the twitter domain has to take the token and send it to the special sanitized x.com(no redirects) location?

Even the default https://twitter.com and https://x.com do this poo poo, it's so loving ham-fisted

It's almost as if he understands how technology works

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

Happened 30 years post Iraq War with the Hummer.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

carrionman posted:

What the hell is WEF in this context?

Waterboarding Elon fans

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Decrepus posted:

Waterboarding Elon fans

mfw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

carrionman posted:

layer three of a euphemism for the jews

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Woke Effort Fund

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

carrionman posted:

Technically the World Economic Forum, but in practice when they say that they mean....

frumpykvetchbot posted:

the cabal of the protocol of the elders of ((((them))))

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

Frank Stephenson (designer of the first BMW Mini and the retro Fiat 500, among various Ferraris and McLarens) said as much in his video about the Cybertruck, saying that it was the product of a fundamentally insecure and pessimistic worldview, which is interesting given Musk's continual empty-sounding "pro-human" effective altruism schtick.

happyhippy posted:

In retrospect the Humvee is almost a shrinking violet in comparison to some of the brodozers on the market now. Yes it's hugely wide and tall and heavy, but its dimensions derive from a stated purpose (having the ground clearance and track distance to follow tracked vehicles across terrain and being wide enough to be stable while heavily laden on uneven ground) and it's an essentially functional and utilitarian machine - an expanded replacement for the classic Jeep. It's not armoured (at least, not in its original form).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah, feels like we hit a "peak masculinity" with cars when Arnold was driving his Hummer around.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

BalloonFish posted:

In retrospect the Humvee is almost a shrinking violet in comparison to some of the brodozers on the market now

:hmmyes:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
*Borat voice* "My WEF"

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Steadiman posted:

*Borat voice* "My WEF"

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Just some perspective, it took about as much time to go from Confinity being founded for it to become PayPal to be acquired by eBay as it's been since Elon Musk bought Twitter to turn it into X THE EVERYTHING APP which still doesn't do anything except be a vandalized Nazi-friendly version of Twitter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I'll take the WEF gun

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

the cybertruk, a novelty car, is absolutely an industry wide inflection point of design. ever think about how they made a twisted metal tv show only after the cybertruk was announced? yeah. You didn’t. it’s no coincidence.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

lmao :perfect:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

Just some perspective, it took about as much time to go from Confinity being founded for it to become PayPal to be acquired by eBay as it's been since Elon Musk bought Twitter to turn it into X THE EVERYTHING APP which still doesn't do anything except be a vandalized Nazi-friendly version of Twitter.

It is wild how quickly things changed in the 90's versus now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

GLORY TO THE ETERNAL LEADER

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"I wish I could vote in Elonctions but I don't own stonk :qq:"

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
tesla is a scam

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Elon is scam

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The stock market is a scam

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

How those income streams going there, Lonny?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BalloonFish posted:

Frank Stephenson (designer of the first BMW Mini and the retro Fiat 500, among various Ferraris and McLarens) said as much in his video about the Cybertruck, saying that it was the product of a fundamentally insecure and pessimistic worldview, which is interesting given Musk's continual empty-sounding "pro-human" effective altruism schtick.

In retrospect the Humvee is almost a shrinking violet in comparison to some of the brodozers on the market now. Yes it's hugely wide and tall and heavy, but its dimensions derive from a stated purpose (having the ground clearance and track distance to follow tracked vehicles across terrain and being wide enough to be stable while heavily laden on uneven ground) and it's an essentially functional and utilitarian machine - an expanded replacement for the classic Jeep. It's not armoured (at least, not in its original form).

That's exactly what I think is happening. With the Cybertruck being so explicit on its amored vehicle marketing, it is a watershed moment. One possible future is that this kicks of a spiral of escalation, where consumer vehicles start aping combat vehicles aesthetically, and later functionally. Once the latter happens, there is only so far you can go -- it has to stop when manufacturers start pre-installing gun mounts on truck beds (for personal defense and 2A-reasons). Or we're entering Night City.

I hope for the alternative where consumers and manufacturers alike realize how silly this all is and shun whatever it is the Cybertruck conveys. And hopefully we return to elegant, human-centered forms.

happyhippy posted:

Yes, that's how this nonsense all started! That was a commercialized version of an actual military vehicle. I remember when Arnold Schwarzenegger was driving one and everyone thought it was crazy. A couple of people imported Hummers from America as show cars to great public effect. Unfortunately, this gave the market a sort of kink. From that we got an influx of SUVs. And people who earlier imported land yachts from the US now import giant trucks that still don't fit on any parking space and many streets, but now also have bumpers optimally placed for skull crushing.

What I think the Cybertruck is doing is it's trying to give suburbanties an excuse to channel their insecurities into metal. The Cybertruck's marketing is pretty specific in its apocalyptic appeal: goes through floods. Goes through smoke. You can drive through bad inner city neighbourhoods. Impenetrable.

But it's still a Tesla, the dorky electric vehicle company. Just imagine what happens if Dodge uparmors their charger or takes a RAM with armored plates, bars across the rear window, a cow bar, gigantic roof-mounted lights.

No greenwashed electrical engine, but 6 liters of combustion power under the hood. Protected fuel tank and extra heavy duty looks on the trunk/truck bed. If there is anything EV in there, it's a hybrid. And if you drive on the electric motor it's not because it reduces pollution at low speeds in the city or because it improves fuel burn, it's beccause it's 'tactical mode' or 'stealth power cruise' or whatever.

Extremely ruggedized trucks, SUVs, and cars, marketed specifically to appeal to people who think that metropolitan areas, or anywhere close to a bus stop, are dangerous places that you need armor to conquer.

I think the Cybertruck shows us the end state of the journey the Hummer started.

Pirate Radar posted:

You’ve been able to buy a bulletproof Mercedes or BMW for ages. I don’t know what share of their income it is but selling armored luxury sedans to rich people and government officials in dangerous countries is solid business for them. They’re just not in-your-face big truck designs because that’s not what those customers are asking for.

Yeah but those bulletproof vehicles are actually purpose-built and decidedly not mass-market. And they're specifically made to look like normal limousines!

What I'm wondering if we will see a wave of cars and trucks that do not just play with martial curves and some greebles here and there, but that actually slap plates on their flanks (effective or not), marketed to software engineers and acountants.

gay picnic defence posted:

The Cybertruck isn't a harbinger, it is an armoured vehicle. Haven't you noticed those ablative steel plates covering it?

It's a new type of explosive reactive armor. If you drive over a parking lot IED, the plates will just fall off, allowing you to fulfill your mission and return to base (the Starbucks drive through).

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 19, 2024

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm reminded of that clip a few weeks ago of how the FSD AI rendered a train as a convoy of trucks. I recall that also showing a bunch of fake gaps in the convoy too. I'm surprised it's taken this long for a FSD failing to deal with train crossings story to pop up.

Also, as others have said, how quickly this is driving in such heavy fog is terrifying. It makes sense it would gently caress up this way in retrospect - the models are all based on detecting shapes so it probably can't distinguish between a clear horizon and fog reducing vision distance.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

The Cybertruck's marketing is pretty specific in its apocalyptic appeal: goes through floods. Goes through smoke. You can drive through bad inner city neighbourhoods. Impenetrable.

It literally can't do any of that without breaking down

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why is FSD even allowed in USA? It's clearly not fit for purpose but here we are. Bribes? No one gives a gently caress? Some form of 'freedom and 'right' to do whatever you want?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Oversight ended decades ago, companies just started to really notice recently

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah, the tactical operator fantasy will replace the cowboy fantasy in truck advertising

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sentient Data posted:

Oversight ended decades ago, companies just started to really notice recently

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Buce posted:

yeah, the tactical operator fantasy will replace the cowboy fantasy in truck advertising

All the guys who “almost” joined the army during OIF will be buying that tactical Dodge until they die

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neeksy posted:

Didn't Tesla suddenly buy up a fuckton of LiDAR because of their desperate pivot to robotaxis, because their reliance on camera-only software for self-driving is clearly another fantasy.

They claim the lidar purchases were for chase cars that were verifying the "thoughts and prayers" detection system Teslas rely on

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The X-man cometh posted:

It literally can't do any of that without breaking down

Well sure, you and I know that, but rubes with more money than sense will happily gobble it up and act surprised later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The FSD stuff seems like it could be useful in long haul freeway type situations but lmao am I trusting a fuckin computer to drive me through the fog

Also trains are cool and engineered to be nearly impossible to wreck.