Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

evil_bunnY posted:

why would you ever check film?

art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

rohan posted:

I know the topic of airports and film has been done to death here and elsewhere, but does expired film change anything? Specifically, I have a short interstate trip coming up and I'd like to use some of the 10+ year expired film I bought from MrBlandAverage, but I'm concerned even two more rounds of carry-on x-rays will be too much.

(Also, any good strategies for shooting decade-old film? I'm thinking meter for 50, develop as normal?)

I forgot a bunch of film in my checked luggage (Portra 400, some Fuji color negative 1600, etc.) and they turned out fine.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

evil_bunnY posted:

Spent half an hour packaging the camera up to fly, realized all the exposed film was still in the holders in the case, said "gently caress it the pictures probably sucked anyway" and went to the airport.

Luckily I was right.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evil_bunnY posted:

There was a time before lockerbie that check luggage got no xray and xrays for hand luggage were much worse. So you checked your film. Some peopke believe that stuff that was true 30 years ago still is.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wonder if anyone here has tried this before?

http://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/r3-monobath-developer

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I was looking at a monobath to do X-ray film developing, trying to avoid scratching and could do the process in a lunch box, but the results were crap with the lovely recipe I had.

You could make a crazy 8x10 afghan style box camera that makes fully developed negs right out of camera using a monobath for processing.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Olympus XA goons: any dramas using LR44 batteries instead of SR44? I'm travelling and stupidly forgot to buy batteries before I left, and all I can find here are LR44s.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

When they're fresh it's fine, but the LRs have less consistent voltage over their discharge profile, so your meter may be off once the batteries are 1/3 or 1/2 used.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UK goons, are your airports cool with hand-checking film?

E: Seems so. Awesome.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 29, 2015

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Figured I'd ask here, does anyone know a good spot to get Super 8 film developed/scanned? I haven't searched yet, figured I'd trust some goons first.

We've been thinking about doing the whole develop, project and film on DSLR thing ourselves, has anyone else tried this with good results?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

scotty posted:

Figured I'd ask here, does anyone know a good spot to get Super 8 film developed/scanned? I haven't searched yet, figured I'd trust some goons first.

We've been thinking about doing the whole develop, project and film on DSLR thing ourselves, has anyone else tried this with good results?

I'm interested as well, I've found some unused 8mm film and I'd like to use it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I live in Ireland and the closest place to do super 8 anymore is in Sweden :( Technicolor in London used to do it but they're gone. It'll cost you a loving fortune with transport, dev, transfer and return.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I live in Ireland and the closest place to do super 8 anymore is in Sweden :( Technicolor in London used to do it but they're gone. It'll cost you a loving fortune with transport, dev, transfer and return.

?

It seems you also have some sort of diy option in Leeds

I got those links from this list (in french but you can choose your country in the left menu and gauge your options)

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 29, 2015

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Just took delivery of a bunch of Arista.edu 200 in 35mm and 4x5. I'm seeing online that it's better exposed at 100-160. Should be fun, and a great way to shoot 4x5 indiscriminately without feeling like I've set a pile of money on fire!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

scotty posted:

I had some rolls done though Dwaynes and they were okay. It's $12 for process, $10 for transfer, and $4.50 for shipping, with slight discounts on additional rolls. When you factor in the cost of the roll itself it comes out to around $50 for 3 minutes of low quality soundless video. It's definitely fun, but I probably won't be shooting it again for a while.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

TheLastManStanding posted:

$50 for 3 minutes of low quality soundless video.

Please don't post about my sextape

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Please don't post about my sextape

Belongs in buy/sell/trade.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sweeeeet.

Last time I checked, most people I knew were sending it to Sweden so I'll have a look at this, thanks.

Still costs a bunch ;)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any opinions on the XA2 vs the Rollei 35 LED? The shutter on my XA2 has gotten finicky, and I have a Rollei 35 LED I've never used. Not sure whether it's worth digging up a battery for.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Awkward Davies posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the XA2 vs the Rollei 35 LED? The shutter on my XA2 has gotten finicky, and I have a Rollei 35 LED I've never used. Not sure whether it's worth digging up a battery for.

The only bad thing I can say about my 35 (non-LED version) is that my brain occasionally forgets that the focus is in no way indicated in the viewfinder. Everything else about the camera is great but that's an extra step that I don't always think about when I'm shooting 35mm.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Got my Nimslo film back and scanned it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

voodoorootbeer posted:

The only bad thing I can say about my 35 (non-LED version) is that my brain occasionally forgets that the focus is in no way indicated in the viewfinder. Everything else about the camera is great but that's an extra step that I don't always think about when I'm shooting 35mm.

So how do you focus? Estimate distance?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Awkward Davies posted:

So how do you focus? Estimate distance?

Yep.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

voodoorootbeer posted:

I do this on my original XA. In my defense the range finder patch can be real hard to see at times.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Todays project, try not to gently caress up color dev!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's not much harder than BW if at all. The blix in that kit produces gas so you can't use the inversion agitation method without leaks, so you need to use the stirring rod instead. Assuming you are using the Paterson tank.

Also I used distilled water for every step and still had spots on my film at the end. I found it was the crystals in the stabilizer leaving residue after drying. Googling this shows lots of people with the same problem using this kit. Adding photoflo to the stab did not help. I found that you can fix this by wiping the negatives down with a stabilizer soaked microfiber cloth or a sponge when still wet and hanging, risking embedding dust in the emulsion. Or skip the stab step entirely and just do a rinse if you don't care about keeping your film in archival condition. Rumor has it that modern c41 film doesn't even need stabilizer but who knows. Respooling the film and giving it a final rinse cycle after it dries also works but I have no idea if it affects the stabilizer, plus it's a pain in the rear end.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 2, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

It's not much harder than BW if at all. The blix in that kit produces gas so you can't use the inversion agitation method without leaks, so you need to use the stirring rod instead. Assuming you are using the Paterson tank.

Also I used distilled water for every step and still had spots on my film at the end. I found it was the crystals in the stabilizer leaving residue after drying. Googling this shows lots of people with the same problem using this kit. Adding photoflo to the stab did not help. I found that you can fix this by wiping the negatives down with a stabilizer soaked microfiber cloth or a sponge when still wet and hanging, risking embedding dust in the emulsion. Or skip the stab step entirely and just do a rinse if you don't care about keeping your film in archival condition. Rumor has it that modern c41 film doesn't even need stabilizer but who knows. Respooling the film and giving it a final rinse cycle after it dries also works but I have no idea if it affects the stabilizer, plus it's a pain in the rear end.

Just finished, with the instructions it feels easier than BW, If I end up with spots I'll try a wash with DI tomorrow. I know that the storage life isn't great so how long will this stuff last? also how about disposal? I encountered the out-gassing while on the blix step, if i use the agitation rod how log should i mix for it to count as an inversion?

To anyone who is hesitant about doing color, if you can do BW you can do color just need some extra goodies.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I'm sitting on 7 rolls of c-41 right now, and I'm hemming and hawing if I want to pick up another c41 kit or just drop it off for development.

Getting the chems up to temp was no fun for me.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I used tub of 5 gallons of water to maintain the temp, it was in range for more than 10 minutes which was more than enough time for development.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Just finished, with the instructions it feels easier than BW, If I end up with spots I'll try a wash with DI tomorrow. I know that the storage life isn't great so how long will this stuff last? also how about disposal? I encountered the out-gassing while on the blix step, if i use the agitation rod how log should i mix for it to count as an inversion?

To anyone who is hesitant about doing color, if you can do BW you can do color just need some extra goodies.

I used a batch of chemicals given to me that were over a year old as an experiment and I thought the film came out fine. Apparently it had only been used to develop one roll prior. I think the amount it gets used in the storage method makes the biggest difference. These were stored in opaque airtight bottles.

When I mixed a fresh kit, I ended up getting about 20 rolls out of it before I started to notice nasty grain in the shadows. People say that you can rinse between developer and blix steps to increase longevity. There are people on Flickr that get well over 40 rolls, but ymmv. I did all my development over only a couple days, doing three rolls at a time in a 1 L Paterson tank

I forget how long I agitated for, I will have to check my notes. I think it was only 10 seconds though. I haven't disposed of at them yet, they're still in the same bottles.

And yeah, bring your chemicals up to temperature in a large pot full of hot water. Put a thermometer in your developer and when it reaches temperature take it out. Works great

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 2, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Went to get a bit to test scan and just noticed a ton of water spots, a squeegee might be a good idea now.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I highly recommend a sponge soaked in stabilizer, I've scratched too many negatives with a squeegee.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

I highly recommend a sponge soaked in stabilizer, I've scratched too many negatives with a squeegee.

I'm trying a DI wash on a test roll, hopefully that will help.

I want to try cross processing some slide film, that wont poison the chemistry right?

Also going to try a bleach bypass today as well, i'm curious to what the results are.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I love HP5. Should I even bother trying Tri-X?

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I might be late to the party, but have any of you played with this monobath development?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfTknfQuv8

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ezekiel_980 posted:

also how about disposal?

This is FAR FROM SETTLED, but so far I haven't found an ingredient in any photo development solution - C41, E-6, B&W - that cannot go down the drain and into a municipal water-treatment facility. This SEEMS to be a case that's actually "the solution to pollution is dilution", but I am still very uncertain.

Blix contains bleach, which can be poured down the drain for sure, with plenty of water to dillute it out and bring the pH back down from 10 or whatever to something closer to 7. Developer, including colour developer, is largely organics, stuff like acetate and citrate, that the bacteria in the bioreactor (and lining your pipes) will have no trouble digesting. Fixative contains mostly sulfur-organics that, again, any self-respecting facultative anaerobic bacteria can digest easily; the breakdown product in the presence of colloidal or ionic silver is (eventually) Ag2S, which is one of the least soluble-in-water compounds known; it will precipitate out as a fine black film that sticks to solid surfaces, and will remain non-bioavailable (i.e. utterly harmless) until the end of time.

I am not an environmental chemist or toxicologist, but I hang out with people who are and I can make my way through their publications. Film development solutions are not on anybody's radar for environmental pollutants.

But, your circumstances may vary and I'm very willing to admit there may be conditions under which dev or fix is a big deal - there are many possible combinations of climate, soil, and water-treatment methods and I've only looked at the circumstances that apply to me.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Pukestain Pal posted:

I love HP5. Should I even bother trying Tri-X?

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

There's no reason not to try it. It's the classic black and white film for a reason and I think it is usually about the same price or cheaper than HP5.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

(from low-effort)

This looks like Portra that's been inverted but hasn't fully had the orange mask corrected for. Did you do this by hand or let scanning software guess for you? Either way it's making your whites look really blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ansel autisms posted:

(from low-effort)

This looks like Portra that's been inverted but hasn't fully had the orange mask corrected for. Did you do this by hand or let scanning software guess for you? Either way it's making your whites look really blue.

I think that's a good thing here.