Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

I'm having a tough time deciding which new Subaru to go with - the Crosstrek, the '14 Forester, or the Impreza Sport. The Crosstrek and new Forester are about the same size, ground clearance, etc except the Forester has a bigger engine.

Decisions decisisons...

If I had to make that decision I'd go with the Forester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I am being plagued by a recurring evap leak that makes me want to kill my car.

Anybody got an ls7 motor that I can use in the place of all this poo poo under my hood? :sigh:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
My wife's '09 wrx has uneven tire wear. Specifically, there is excess wear on the inner edge of the passenger side front wheel.

This is the second set of wheels that I've noticed this on. I swapped on some winter wheels last fall, and the all-seasons that came with the car when we bought it (used) had the same irregular wear. I got an alignment and found that the toe was out. Here's the report sheet from that alignment:

Everything looked in-spec back in November. All I can think of is that the same tire has a slow leak that I filled every week or so; could driving with low tire pressure cause wear like that? Should I be worried about something else? I haven't noticed any irregularity while driving it. The car is all stock and has about 85k miles on it.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
After 2.5 months of waiting, I finally got a shiny blurple STI hatchback. It's great to be back in a sporty car; after a 2 year Honda Crosstour lease, I've realized I'm not a FWD + auto sort of person. Initial thoughts:

• Wow, the gas mileage is terrible, 16.5 mpg so far according to the car's computer.
  • I miss having a sunroof way more than I expected
  • There's no way I'm going to stay under 4k rpms for 1000 miles
  • The suspension is much softer than I remember from the test drives. The GF's Genisis track edition is significantly more harsh.
  • I don't know if I love or hate hill assist

So Jamal... What's the best way to start ordering things?

And to save any other first time Subaru owners the embarrassment, you pull up on the bit under the shift knob to get into reverse. Nothing like having to bust out the owners manual to get off the dealer's lot.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

wilkenm posted:

And to save any other first time Subaru owners the embarrassment, you pull up on the bit under the shift knob to get into reverse. Nothing like having to bust out the owners manual to get off the dealer's lot.

Sounds like the same gate the Focus ST uses. Just test drove one on saturday. Crossed it right off my list of potential cars. Not that fast, HORRID gas mileage (13.9 mpg according to trip computer), and bump steer so bad it put me into the oncoming lane on a country back road. Also the recaro seats (a $2,000 option) are horribly uncomfortable. They're hard as marble and the lateral support basically punches your kidney's the entire time you drive. There's no way I could see myself driving one for more than 30 minutes, my back would just kill me from how bad those seats are. Also did I mention how slow it felt? Maybe I'm just used to my 400bhp wrx, but 250bhp feels like nothing, even WOT in 1st->2nd->3rd.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

wilkenm posted:

After 2.5 months of waiting, I finally got a shiny blurple STI hatchback. It's great to be back in a sporty car; after a 2 year Honda Crosstour lease, I've realized I'm not a FWD + auto sort of person. Initial thoughts:

• Wow, the gas mileage is terrible, 16.5 mpg so far according to the car's computer.
  • The suspension is much softer than I remember from the test drives. The GF's Genisis track edition is significantly more harsh.

You can turn off hill assist. Hold the traction control button for a few seconds and it should shut off. You bought a turbocharged car with 300 BHP you're not going to get good mileage. And for the sunroof, well weight reduction.

If you're looking at modifying, I'd recommend Unabomber's Manifesto on NASIOC as its a consolidated collection of posts from someone who knows what they're talking about. Most basic option at this point is the turboback exhaust + tune. The manifesto is here. Check out the section on Downpipes.

Yakattak fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 15, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

dyne posted:

Not H6 RS content

Please update us on your H6 RS. Thank you.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

wilkenm posted:

[*] There's no way I'm going to stay under 4k rpms for 1000 miles

Is this break in period specific to turbo models? The CVT in my new Impreza jumps to 4.5k with very little effort- do I need to tone it down a bit?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Augmented Dickey posted:

Is this break in period specific to turbo models? The CVT in my new Impreza jumps to 4.5k with very little effort- do I need to tone it down a bit?

No it is not specific to the turbo models, and no you don't need to tone it down. :)

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

BoyBlunder posted:

Man, getting an AP for my brand new '13 WRX is so tempting, but so is that 60,000mi powertrain warranty :gonk:

I know how you feel. I have 1500 miles on my '13 STi. I think I'm going to try to hold out until at least 10,000 miles, just in case. It is very difficult, because not only does pretty much everyone "in the know" say that the Cobb Stage 1 tune is better and safer for the engine than the one from the factory, but I also really want a cold air intake because :rice:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Slow is Fast posted:

Please update us on your H6 RS. Thank you.
Ha, it's still running fine and it's finally getting a new clutch now that it's warmed up.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

War Bunny posted:

I know how you feel. I have 1500 miles on my '13 STi. I think I'm going to try to hold out until at least 10,000 miles, just in case. It is very difficult, because not only does pretty much everyone "in the know" say that the Cobb Stage 1 tune is better and safer for the engine than the one from the factory, but I also really want a cold air intake because :rice:

I wanted an intake as well. The Cobb one with the optional air box leads to higher intake temps than stock. The AEM one is similar to stock, and with some modification of this modification you can actually get close to ambient temp intake. However, I still don't think it's worth it considering the minimal gain to be had without significant other mods already being done. The intake, it seems, is not a restriction till much further down the line. I think the only reason to go with one is for the sound, but the Cobb has a weird swooshing noise at part throttle. Of the two, the AEM seems more tolerable on a daily basis and seems to be closer to actually being a cold air intake. That said, it's also quieter at WOT and such and since its in the fender well, could be more exposed to the elements. If you are like me and drive your car *especially* in the snow, that's a non starter.

Plus, subaru actually issued a statement (TSB?) specific to intakes saying not to do it unless you have no interest in warranty. If you go to the dealer with a tune and no hardware, they don't seem to bat an eye. An intake is an immediate red flag against you.

I decided that it would sound and look great and add some power, but in the end wasn't worth it all things considered. I know you didn't really ask but I just thought I would share my impressions. :)

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

^^ No, I appreciate the input from someone who has already been there. As far as the cai goes, I know it doesn't add much, if any, power but I just wanted to be able to hear my turbo spooling up. I have read about taking the intake silencer off, but then there is the typical nasioc/iwsti fighting about whether or not it is actually bad for the car. I don't see how it can be, but I understand how fussy these cars are and I'm not an expert.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Intakes and CBEs are similar in the respect they don't really add anything (although intakes CAN harm if not done right) and are typically added for the noise.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-subaru-wrx-spy-shots/

From what I've seen of the concept, I really think it should have square exhaust outlets, but whatevs

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like it, though it's clearly not the final body.

NASIOC is probably beating themselves to death in a pond of human poo poo right now over those pictures.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nose is still far too similar to the Evo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Obviously an april fools joke. You can tell it's just a current gen imprezza sedan with a wing and a hood scoop.

Somebody needs to tell subaru april fools is only on the first, and they need to stop dicking around with us.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It could just be a drivetrain mule.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It could just be a drivetrain mule.

I doubt they would go with the spoiler and sideskirts, and STI badge covered in electrical tape for a drivetrain mule.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Powershift posted:

I doubt they would go with the spoiler and sideskirts, and STI badge covered in electrical tape for a drivetrain mule.

It got us talking, didn't it?

I guess the greater question would be, why bother putting STI badging on a camo'd car and then cover it in electrical tape?

Subaru has already said that the WRX/STI are departing the Impreza brand and are going to be wholly different cars. You don't do that by putting a new grill, side skirts, and a rear spoiler on an otherwise same 2013 Impreza. It's not even a widebody.

Also, maybe Subaru is bringing back the RS badging and this is a looks package on top of the Impreza. It's really hard to say at this point.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wilkenm posted:

Well, start by just driving it a little more to get a better idea of what you want to change or improve, and where you want to go for the car. Do you want a different turbo/big power down the road? Going to do a lot of track days? Or just want a little extra performance for street driving?

And intakes do actually make a difference. Up to 15-20whp on a stage 2 car. Yes, you will hear lots of "but the stock intake and MAF will handle well over 300whp!" Sure it will, but a smoother, freer flowing intake will still provide benefits. CBEs can make a slight difference too, although it is more an issue of taking out the 2.4" restriction at the end of the downpipe and going to full 3" piping. We did a back to back dyno comparison with a cobb TBE that we cut apart to make full 3" and while I don't recall the exact numbers there was a significant difference.

Anyway, long story short: A car with a full TBE and intake and a tune will make more power than a car with just a downpipe and a tune.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 17, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yakattak posted:

Intakes and CBEs are similar in the respect they don't really add anything (although intakes CAN harm if not done right) and are typically added for the noise.

The wrong intake is useless. The right one a) allows more power gains so you can do other things and not be worried you cant get the supporting air, b) keeps power gains when everything gets stinking hot under the bonnet, like a true cold air box c) or allows the present setup to breathe better and gain torque.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This one is probably my favorite:
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/AEM-Cold-Air-Intake-Subaru-WRX-STI-2008-2011

Places the filter down between the fender liner and fog light, and is almost completely sealed from the engine bay (although while the car is moving engine bay temps aren't much higher than ambient). Does not significantly alter AFR to the point of being dangerous if you just slap one on, although that is not my recommendation. Cobb has maps for use with it: http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT-Off-The-Shelf-Maps-s/40100.htm#/v/accessport/maps/subaru/sti/STI-Maps-13-AEM-Intake

And yes you can get them from me.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Don't you kind of worry about water ingestion when you put the intake so low down?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well it is protected by the fender liner and undertray, and that specific one is not really, really low. The only time I've seen a car pull in water was where a guy drove through a puddle so deep that it ripped off his front lip, undertray, fender liners, and damaged the bumper cover. It stalled the car, we pulled the plugs and cranked it over to spit the water out, did an oil change, and then did a leakdown test and it seemed ok. Never heard back from them so I guess it was. if you live somewhere with a lot of rain and you drive through standing water (which you shouldn't be doing anyway, and especially not fast), it might be better to skip an intake, or at least get a cover for the filter that helps keep out water.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 17, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I had to have a door replaced after someone hit the Saabaru while parked, and now I get wind noise where I didn't get it before because a little bit of stripping isn't lining up (I've tried padding it underneath, window adjustments, etc). I'm trying to get the piece paid for by my insurance company but might have to do it myself. I can't seem to find it online - it's the plastic molding/weather stripping on the chassis that the windows press into when doors are closed. It runs up from the mirror, down the b-pillar about halfway, then back up the b pillar on the rear door and back down, all one big piece. I can take a pic if it'd help - any suggestions on where to find or what the part number could be?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This is for a wrx wagon, but they should be the same

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_28/body_equipment_interior/inner_trim/illustration_1/
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_28/body_equipment_exterior/weather_strip/illustration_1/

then you can plug the part numbers into subarugenuineparts

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 17, 2013

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks Jamal for all the cai info. :) can I get your email in case I decide to order one from you?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

:toot:

Already signed up for my next one, it's in two weeks!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
300,000kms logged on the old Forester. Not bad

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Foresters are great, in my opinion. At least, the original ones are.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
In trying to diagnose some problems with my lights, I've discovered I should really consult a wiring diagram... however, after a bit of googling, all I can really find are pinouts for alarms and what not. Does anyone know where I could find a pdf or something of a wiring diagram for an 07 WRX wagon?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Wow, I didn't expect it that quickly. Thank you very very much!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Neptr posted:

:toot:

Already signed up for my next one, it's in two weeks!

Nice shot! I was in the BRZ next to you :) Are you going to the BMWCCA autocross or the TCUSA one in a couple weeks?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I asked this question on NASIOC but I'm not satisfied with the answer of maybe that I got there, so here goes:

Will a 255/35-18 tire on 18x8.5 wheel, +45 offset fit on a 2005 STi without rolling the fenders? Will this clear the struts?

I'd like to put some meaty tires on but I'm concerned about rub. The car is on RCE black springs and revalved feal struts. -1.5 degrees camber in the rear currently.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
My STI arrived at the dealer today. I should have her in about a week. I'll probably buy the access-port in a few weeks.

On an unrelated note, a friend of mine was looking to buy a new Crosstrek. Does anyone know if the rear window on the hatch opens separately from the hatch itself? He often times will be hauling lumber and would like to be able to open the rear window and not the whole hatch itself. I couldn't find anything to confirm or disprove this, but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like the window was designed to be opened separately.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CharlesM posted:

Foresters are great, in my opinion. At least, the original ones are.

I kinda "ended" up with my Forester and love it even after putting 2 engines in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Meat Mitts posted:

My STI arrived at the dealer today. I should have her in about a week. I'll probably buy the access-port in a few weeks.

On an unrelated note, a friend of mine was looking to buy a new Crosstrek. Does anyone know if the rear window on the hatch opens separately from the hatch itself? He often times will be hauling lumber and would like to be able to open the rear window and not the whole hatch itself. I couldn't find anything to confirm or disprove this, but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like the window was designed to be opened separately.

On my phone or I'd try and Google/look at my bookmarks but I have seen in this thread that the Crosstrek is a lifted impreza and it doesn't open on the impreza so..yeah.