Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I just discovered mount kills outside gallopolis, does this ever stop being useful? I just ran around at night for 30 minutes and gained two levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kingtheninja posted:

So I just discovered mount kills outside gallopolis, does this ever stop being useful? I just ran around at night for 30 minutes and gained two levels.

Is this different from killing things on a horse? ... Do you get exp from that?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I dont know if level 22 is too much for the Tentacular boss, but my current team seems to be tearing through things now.

Hero with a two handed sword and Cutting Edge doing 130-200 damage depending on buffs and sap
Sylvando Accelerating, Decelerating, Oomphing
Jade with Claws and the 10 mp triple hit dealing damage similar to Hero's
Rab dedicated to healing, sapping, and any other spells he's got.

Erik, Veronica, and Serena seem like they're lagging behind.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 6, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dizz posted:

I dont know if level 22 is too much for the Tentacular boss, but my current team seems to be tearing through things now.

Hero with a two handed sword and Cutting Edge doing 130-200 damage depending on buffs and sap
Sylvando Accelerating, Decelerating, Oomphing
Jade with Claws and the 10 mp triple hit dealing damage similar to Hero's
Rab dedicated to healing, sapping, and any other spells he's got.

Erik, Veronica, and Serena seem like they're lagging behind.

Serena never really catches up tbh. Veronica will get Oomphle and some support skills that hyper charge her magic and Erik gets the hands down most powerful dps stuff in the game. For Erik prioritize getting the hidden skill in Guile, its a buff that lets his attacks hit 3x for two turns. It combos hilariously well with Poison Strike and Victimizer.

Also Jade has a four hit thing with spears that is probably the single best skill anyone can get until the end game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Erik dual-wielding and using Cobra Strike, then Victimiser (or Persecuter, I can never remember which is which) is some of the best damage you can be dealing right now. Even better if Sylvando is helping set up poison, so he can just spam 6x damage attacks. The big problem with Erik is that he's a glass cannon. Great damage, no defense and very little recovery.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i guess i'm a weirdo but around that point in the game i actually really liked using Veronica with whips for Twin Dragon Lash. She has oodles of MP so you can just spam it, and she has Sap to lower the enemy's defense too. Gave her two tough guy tattoos and thought she did great.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

2D mode has me at the start of act 3 and having finished up doing Electro Light/Haullelujah grinding to 99 in 34 hours played.

Thread told me before when I wrapped up on PS4 that everyone should be a few skill points short of maxing all skills, but I have Hendrick and Sylvando both with over 100 points left and nothing to spend them on. Is there a specific thing to do to unlock more skills for them or was I just told wrong? Everyone else is short 4-5 points or so to buy their very last skills at 99.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

2D mode has me at the start of act 3 and having finished up doing Electro Light/Haullelujah grinding to 99 in 34 hours played.

Thread told me before when I wrapped up on PS4 that everyone should be a few skill points short of maxing all skills, but I have Hendrick and Sylvando both with over 100 points left and nothing to spend them on. Is there a specific thing to do to unlock more skills for them or was I just told wrong? Everyone else is short 4-5 points or so to buy their very last skills at 99.

Ya there are some sidequests for your party members that unlock new trees. iirc it's actually the same one for both of them. Go to Puerto Valor and talk to Sylvando's dad

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Apperently, even with XP Limiter on, I’ve still ended up way over leveled somehow. I’m at the Royal Libary and everyone is about 31-32.

Funny thing is I didn’t even grind anywhere, I did however kill 3 Liquid Metal Slimes on the way to Dora so maybe that did it.

You likely got more XP from those three enemies than you did the last 3 dungeons/areas you cleared.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Act 3 question: I've collected the mallet from the horse races, I have Orichalcum, and I'm at the Crucible in the volcano. What else do I need to forge the Sword of Light?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I think you just need the guiding light and access to the crucible via the key.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have both of those!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Did you complete the Hotto quest in Act 3?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YggiDee posted:

Act 3 question: I've collected the mallet from the horse races, I have Orichalcum, and I'm at the Crucible in the volcano. What else do I need to forge the Sword of Light?

Are you in the forging area specifically? The one you needed to get the maid's key for after you took care of the dragon issue?

Also you definitely finished up in Gallopolis and solved the Erdwin's lantern stuff/got them to give you the forging hammer

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there a decent Tockles guide yet? I'm seeing people claim online that there is a list you can look at in game in the menu's, but I don't see poo poo. Maybe it's something they left out of the 3DS version? I'm about to finish the game and I'd like to 100% them, but I don't know if I've got the effort to find any I'm missing myself.

I've loved replaying in 2D mode except for one part of the game, Act 3 I guess where you are doing the 3 seed trials. Holy poo poo, so many annoying random battles in a row in giant zones. It was just a little too much.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Make sure you went into the new entrance with the key you got, not the one you went through to eventually fight the boss. It's a separate area entirely.

katkillad2 posted:

I've loved replaying in 2D mode except for one part of the game, Act 3 I guess where you are doing the 3 seed trials. Holy poo poo, so many annoying random battles in a row in giant zones. It was just a little too much.

I've actively avoided non-Pokémon RPG's with random encounters for years because I hated them so much and I think that's gone a long way towards being able to tolerate them in 2D mode here, plus turning up battle speed and being able to set the party to auto-battle so I can just mindlessly plow through everything that isn't a boss (and even some bosses where I know I'm overlevelled anyway) makes life good.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 7, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zore posted:

Are you in the forging area specifically? The one you needed to get the maid's key for after you took care of the dragon issue?

Also you definitely finished up in Gallopolis and solved the Erdwin's lantern stuff/got them to give you the forging hammer

I have the Guiding Light, Orichalcum, the Crucible Key, and the Forging Hammer. I did the part 3 Hotto Quest. I did the Gallopolis race. I did the the part 3 story stuff and upgraded my sky whale.

Dragon Quest XI posted:

A great power eminates from within. This certainly seems like a place where a legendary sword could be forged.
... But you don't yet have everything you need.

What am I missing!?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I have the Guiding Light, Orichalcum, the Crucible Key, and the Forging Hammer. I did the part 3 Hotto Quest. I did the Gallopolis race. I did the the part 3 story stuff and upgraded my sky whale.

What am I missing!?

Oh, did you also bring the sword of kings?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yep, it's right there. But that's for the Supreme Sword of Light, I'm trying to make the.

....uuuh

Okay do I need all the ingredients for the regular AND supreme Sword of Light at the same time? Is that what's happening?

I need Crimsonite

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Any word on what all the Echo Chamber quest rewards are, and if you get anything for 100%-ing them? IIRC in the 3ds game you got a tockle as a permanent guest party member if you beat them all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That wasn't it either! I still can't forge this sword.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I know Sylvando's a support character and not a fighter, but I can't decide whether to give him points towards swords or knives. Is there a clear benefit to one or the other, or does it really not matter?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I know Sylvando's a support character and not a fighter, but I can't decide whether to give him points towards swords or knives. Is there a clear benefit to one or the other, or does it really not matter?

Swords let him contribute on metal slime fights, Knives let him synergize with Erik better

His best stuff is entirely in his unique trees though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Whips are also a cool option for Sylvando because of that skill that debuffs everything including pep.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sylvando doesn't do much support once you get him that's amore

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do you guys generally play like a standard turn-based rpg with controlling each character directly, or do you allow the AI to take over? I don't really know what to expect with the AI in this game.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

He can still contribute in Metal Slime fights with knives. Poison Needles and Bloodletters always deal 1 damage and have a chance to instant kill, though I don't think I've seen the instant kill activate for a metal slime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Knives. His damage will always be terrible, but at least with knives he can help Erik set up his combos while still keeping a shield equipped to he won't be squishy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Do you guys generally play like a standard turn-based rpg with controlling each character directly, or do you allow the AI to take over? I don't really know what to expect with the AI in this game.

i do the former but i'm playing with 'harder monsters' on. the AI is pretty good if you wanna chill; if you're playing on 2D mode having at least your healer on AI is probably better than manual control since they'll decide on an action when their turn comes up and not at the start of the round

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah Dragon Quest AI is pretty solid. I forget the details to each AI mode but it's pretty clear the AI knows what enemy resistances are like so you'll see it try and take advantage of Whack and using the most effective offensive spells it can.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

The AI is pretty solid, if you're playing on normal you can just run with that for regular battles and switch to full control for bosses. Sure saves a lot of time and after the early game it's not like you'll be hurting for mp that often.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

PantsBandit posted:

I generally pick one character to use and let the AI control the rest. I'll take more control if I'm trying weird tactics, or on a boss fight, but generally your party can be trusted to make decent decisions. They're a little prone to blowing too much MP on random fights, but they also know what enemy resist/weaknesses are. Also they know how many HP the enemy has left so sometimes Veronica will bap a boss with her staff for six damage and kill it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The AI isn’t like 100% optimal since it works in a vacuum and even on Battle Wisely uses more MP than I would, but it generally cheats like a motherfucker insofar as actually knowing what enemies are susceptible to what ailment/elements, which makes it a good choice in random battles even if it’s not 100% optimal. And like Entropy mentioned, part of the cheating is that it heals better than a player in 2D mode.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't use the AI at all, for any of the games. I like having exact control too much for that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

PantsBandit posted:

The AI is kind of dynamic in a way. Traditionally if you were in a tough fight for example and you didn't know turn order, you might preemptively cast a heal spell even if you were at full health to heal the damge you might take. Instead of bothering with that, AI healing can make that decision mid turn. Also as previously said, the AI is pretty efficient. So if a monster only has 10 hit points left they will just standard attack, if they've got 200 hit points they would use a medium power spell. If they are at full life they would use a full power spell.

The AI is great. I usually just control the hero, have a healer focus on healing 100% of the time and switch the other two between fight wisely and show no mercy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really did not care for these character interstitials they added at the start of act 2. These feel pointless, take the fun out of imagining the adventure that led to this and surprising you with your party, and in the case of the first person I talked to in Sylvandos quest way to hamfistedly telling me exactly what act 3 will be and the one of the games narrative twists.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 7, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The AI is generally fine, but I'll never use it outside of autobattle for just getting through areas

If I'm taking control, I want full control

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had... the wrong orichalcum.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quick question: I played through previously on PS4 and just picked up the Switch version. I know the dungeons from previous DQ games are 2D only... do you have to play in 2D mode to unlock them or can you unlock them in 3D mode as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can unlock them in 3D mode.