Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hybridnoisebloom posted:

"yeah this is cool, but i wish i was listening to Dopethrone instead"

This is me but its the band Dopethrone, not the album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

hybridnoisebloom posted:

i've been on a pretty much nonstop diet of Electric Wizard every day for weeks now. is it just me or are they so good that it almost ruins almost every other stoner band (with notable exception of Sleep and Boris) by comparison? like, sometimes i'll pop on some random stoner doom album or something and be like "yeah this is cool, but i wish i was listening to Dopethrone instead"

ohoho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Kvlt! posted:

This is me but its the band Dopethrone, not the album

:hmmyes:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hybridnoisebloom posted:

i've been on a pretty much nonstop diet of Electric Wizard every day for weeks now. is it just me or are they so good that it almost ruins almost every other stoner band (with notable exception of Sleep and Boris) by comparison? like, sometimes i'll pop on some random stoner doom album or something and be like "yeah this is cool, but i wish i was listening to Dopethrone instead"

I don't agree at all. There's maybe 3 songs I like from EW and the rest doesn't grab me at all.

I only really like the intro and main riff of Funeralopolis. I turn it off when the verse starts cos it sucks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I also don’t care for Electric Wizard but I don’t say it out loud around here very often for fear of getting an old sweatband or black t shirt thrown at me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Same. I really like some of their songs (Funeralopolis, Witchfinder General, Legalize Drugs and Murder, Return Trip), but putting on a Wizard album bores me to tears.

And this is from someone who can listen to Bongzilla on repeat. Idk, EW just doesnt do it for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got dopethrone when it came out and was like “yeah it’s good but I have holy mountain so I’m set”

Then five years or so ago I got back into them and realized I love a lot of their stuff and had been a fool all along.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

hybridnoisebloom posted:

They are that good, in terms of certain riffs. For me, if they just wrote "Funeralopolis" I'd consider them one of the best bands of all time. Like, they could have stretched that out to 74 minutes or whatever and had the same legend as Sleep. Whatever people like, I don't give a poo poo, I just like them a bit better than Sleep, and everybody does a whole "DOPETHRONE VS DOPESMOKER" thing and I like Dopethrone, but it hits me better, and Dopesmoker hits one of my bros better, and who loving cares, god. Not everything is a competition.

Even aside from all of that, I think that the best stoner riffs I've ever heard didn't even come from those albums. "Master of Alchemy" is just loving unreal, and "Witchcult Today" is the same. It's how they progress and resolve themselves, it's hard to describe but if you want to draw for a bunch of hours those are the tunes to go to. They're not entirely technically brilliant but Jus tapped into a slinky groove like he does quite often, it just hits right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQwU62OuRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUs-d6FCB0

Note: "Witchcult Today" has a great main riff but the best "stoner" part comes after the main riff, where instead of "Doong, doong, dah doodoodoong doong, dah doodoodoong doong, dah doodoodoong doodoodoong" it's "doong! dah DIH doong! Doong, dah DIH doong? Doong, dah DIH doong, dahdoodoodoong, doodoodoong" You know what I mean, of course, because the riff asks a question and then it answers itself

I don't think that EW necessarily ruins other stoner bands for me, but I do gravitate to them more often if that's what you mean. Doesn't mean that I dismiss all other bands. Earthless "Lost in the Cold Sun" brings me to another place every time I hear the loving thing. Grails covering "Satori", I mean if you don't feel like taking shrooms, take the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyE4aMxsd6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQDcnwwspQ

I'm stoned, so whatever. I like music

Zoben fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 12, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zoben posted:

Thread title

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kvlt! posted:

Thread title

:yeah:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gonna need better than that to knock this one out.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

...and who loving cares, god. Not everything is a competition.

Two very true and well said statements.

*posted while listening to Hank Thompson's "This Train."*

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Zoben posted:

instead of "Doong, doong, dah doodoodoong doong, dah doodoodoong doong, dah doodoodoong doodoodoong" it's "doong! dah DIH doong! Doong, dah DIH doong? Doong, dah DIH doong, dahdoodoodoong, doodoodoong"

hell yeah dude

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I wonder why they signed to Creep Purple Records... that was *not* a good look...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Zoben posted:

the best "stoner" part comes after the main riff, where instead of "Doong, doong, dah doodoodoong doong, dah doodoodoong doong, dah doodoodoong doodoodoong" it's "doong! dah DIH doong! Doong, dah DIH doong? Doong, dah DIH doong, dahdoodoodoong, doodoodoong" You know what I mean, of course, because the riff asks a question and then it answers itself

Is this too long for a thread title because

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Also I wish Hills Have Eyes was longer, and Doomantia really grew on me.

In short, Electric Wizard is a band I enjoy contrary to the way I prefer to enjoy bands, which means I queue up a playlist of songs that I like by them rather than listening to entire albums all the way through. Which I guess is ok, as a treat.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Ingmar terdman posted:

hell yeah dude

fuckin a, hell yeah brother

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

butros posted:

Is this too long for a thread title because

Not my post necessarily, but I'd hope the next thread title is an onomatopoeia of a song or riff that's instantly recognizable. Like, I dunno.

"Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn............DUNNNNNNNN...dunnnnngngngngnnggngngngngggggngngngng"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
D-yung d-yung d-yung, Dini-dini, Dini-dini!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bwaaaammm...bwammm BWAMMM bwamm BWAAAAAAAMMMMM bwam

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It ain’t s/d/s but if bernadette neer doesn’t immediately strike a chord...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zoben posted:

Not my post necessarily, but I'd hope the next thread title is an onomatopoeia of a song or riff that's instantly recognizable. Like, I dunno.

"Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn............DUNNNNNNNN...dunnnnngngngngnnggngngngngggggngngngng"

I wasn’t expecting to know this then I started slowly headbanging

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Caught King Buffalo and Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats last night.

King Buffalo slayed. Pretty much flawless when they play live.

I've been spinning Uncle Acid all week and decided that all their stuff on Spotify sounds super muddy. They present 100 times better live.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Uncle Acids recordings certainly have a certain lo-fi vibe to them, but i think it fits generally with their sound.

Yob is similarly muddy, except for Our Raw Heart. the remastered album they put out recently is a pretty big step up too.

glad you enjoyed it, Uncle Acid are great live.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I have purchased tix to see Uncle Acid 3 times and still never seen them. First time I was horribly sick with the flu, 2nd time I got sent out of town for work, 3rd time was May 2020 :negative:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Laserface posted:

glad you enjoyed it, Uncle Acid are great live.

100%. I saw them before but it was day time at a festival. So much better with the visual aspect.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UNMgENyMUo

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Hell yeah, I'm gonna see King Buff and the Deadbeats tomorrow. Super excited and then Yob is on Monday! I am so glad shows are back

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 16, 2022

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Yob is absolutely incredible live. Holy poo poo.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
They are consistently great live. I've seen them about 10-11 times now I think, and have never been disappointed. Even when Mike was coming back from being sick, when he wasn't quite at 100%, they still put on a great show. Yob doesn't even really have to do anything theatrical or anything to put on a killer show (though Mike definitely gets into it, which absolutely helps the energy in the room), they're just a massive wave of sound and that's all they need to be.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Jack Harlon & The Dead Crows are doing another tour in my city in April so I've grabbed tickets for that - finally able to redeem myself after loving up and missing them last time. Also bought tickets to see Boris in June. It's been a good week!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PalaNIN posted:

Jack Harlon & The Dead Crows are doing another tour in my city in April so I've grabbed tickets for that - finally able to redeem myself after loving up and missing them last time. Also bought tickets to see Boris in June. It's been a good week!

Which city?

I'm seeing them in may and it sounds like June too (Sydney)

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Laserface posted:

Which city?

I'm seeing them in may and it sounds like June too (Sydney)

Melbourne - they're doing a bunch of local gigs before they go out on tour

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

REZN TONIGHT AW YISS

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kinda wish I went to Psycho Las Vegas a few years ago when it was sick stoner/doom bands instead of becoming a more mainstream festival that now includes Bone Thugs n Harmony and a few other non-metal acts.

I dont have a problem with them or other kinds of music but I guess the lure of going big and pulling in more dollars was hard to resist.

I still wanna make the trip to the US to go to Muddy Roots/maryland Deathfest one time.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I regret to inform you that REZN does not smoke resin.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I really liked their first album, and the second and third both really do a great job of keeping the sound within the theme of the albums, but I just didnt find much of the second and third albums appealing.

a little bit more of an arty doom band imo. not a bad thing, mind.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I didn't like the 3rd one so much. The first is rad and the second is all oceany. I listened to that album so much while playing Subnautica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Scheidt talking about the 11 Greatest Doom Albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISQSUNfz1Y

Never really listened to Cathedral! Should I?