Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

THE LUMMOX posted:

poo poo after 3 days my airlock has stopped bubbling.

I don't have a hydrometer nor any way to get one within the next month. Did all my yeast die or something? Room temp is 22C.

I have a 25L fermenter but only ~16L or so of liquid in it so theres a lot of headroom I think.

It's almost certainly fine, most of my beers don't bubble visibly for more than a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea a 3 day fermentation isn't out of the ordinary.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I find poetic enzyme helps my beer as well.

Always with the autocorrect.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I won't have any way to bottle/cap for 2 more days. How long can it safely sit in the fermenter being uhhh something bad happening?

Thanks a lot for the friendly help the wealth of information is really intimidating as a newb.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

I won't have any way to bottle/cap for 2 more days. How long can it safely sit in the fermenter being uhhh something bad happening?

Thanks a lot for the friendly help the wealth of information is really intimidating as a newb.

I normally give my beer 10 days in primary. :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 11, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I always wait at least two weeks before packaging. Sometimes months if it's a big imperial stout.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

THE LUMMOX posted:

Don't worry man, beer can sit in primary fermentation for a long time. Personally, I always leave my beer in the fermenter for two weeks, mostly because I brew and bottle on weekends and am nervous about one week not getting the job done. Just RDWHAHB, everything will be fine, and even if everything isn't and you end up with some horrible apocalypse drink, you can always throw it out (or give to your worst enemies) and try again.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Anyone ever play with Heady Topper yeast? I just scored a jar of some in a trade and I'm not quite sure what to expect from it. I've got some centennial and chinook in the freezer that I'd like to do something with soon so I might configure a smash or something with it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

Anyone ever play with Heady Topper yeast? I just scored a jar of some in a trade and I'm not quite sure what to expect from it. I've got some centennial and chinook in the freezer that I'd like to do something with soon so I might configure a smash or something with it.

I'm building up a starter harvested from a can of HT right now. Most of what I'm reading says it attenuates 78-80%, has very low flocculation, and throws a peachy apricot kind of ester character at 62-66F. Brewing a DIPA with it is self evident but to me it seems like it would also make a pretty great wheat beer.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just made the White House Honey Ale and followed the recipe without messing with it. It seems that with a 1.5gal boil they don't have nearly enough hops to get utilization matching a full boil, does anyone know how this comes out when you follow the recipe by the letter?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I have a heady topper summer ale fermenting right now, did 63 degrees and only buttering hops. Plan to dry hop fairly aggressively with fruity hops, but it smells great right now.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
ECY was doing cultures of that Conan yeast to produce commercially, but they have one of the weirdest web presences/ways to buy the yeast it almost makes me feel like I'm buying drugs from an e-storefront built on top of an Angelfire webpage.

That said, it's just getting easier and easier to obtain and I can't imagine it'll be too much longer before the White Labs and Wyeasts of the world put it out.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Just made the White House Honey Ale and followed the recipe without messing with it. It seems that with a 1.5gal boil they don't have nearly enough hops to get utilization matching a full boil, does anyone know how this comes out when you follow the recipe by the letter?

Make sure you are following the corrected,updated recipe with the proper hop additions.

I made it,and it turns out just fine. Its not supposed to be overly hoppy

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since I'm a trendy gently caress AND I found a great local honey shop in a nice little Araby, I'm gonna make an omphacomel. I haven't done a lot of meads and I'm only just getting familiar with verjus/husroum but I'm thinking 12lbs of honey and 1 gallon of husroum for a 5 gallon recipe. Add yeast nutrient and some calcium carbonate to control the pH (water here is super soft).

Does that seem about right? Should I maybe add more verjus?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
For some reason the names of mead subtypes really anger me whenever I read them/hear them. And not just some of them. All of them.

Conan chat: I guess I'll start simple with an IPA to get the feel for it and build up a cake, but I really like the idea of a wheat if it gets as fruity as people are saying.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Roundboy posted:

Make sure you are following the corrected,updated recipe with the proper hop additions.

I made it,and it turns out just fine. Its not supposed to be overly hoppy
I'm using the recipe from whitehouse.gov which has 1.5oz Kent Goldings@45 and 1.5oz Fuggles@1, hope that's the right one! Beersmith says 10 IBU.

Also drat I already have airlock activity 3.5 hours after pitching this Windsor :catstare:

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 12, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

For some reason the names of mead subtypes really anger me whenever I read them/hear them. And not just some of them. All of them.

Show us on the doll where "Mel" touched you

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I'm using the recipe from whitehouse.gov which has 1.5oz Kent Goldings@45 and 1.5oz Fuggles@1, hope that's the right one! Beersmith says 10 IBU.

Also drat I already have airlock activity 3.5 hours after pitching this Windsor :catstare:

Right,read the hop timings, because the original recipe had you only adding .5 of one early on. You are using the correct one it seems.

If you like choppy,go ahead and add more early to the boil,or dry hop,or anything. Make it how you like it,but depending on when you added honey you might have some cancellation of honey vs hops

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Docjowles posted:

Show us on the doll where "Mel" touched you

I think the obscurity is cute. Wine is sophisticated, beer is plebian, and mead is goony as gently caress.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Bacon maple mead. Consumed in the shower, in a champagne flute.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Shbobdb posted:

I think the obscurity is cute. Wine is sophisticated, beer is plebian, and mead is goony as gently caress.

There is a 1:1 ratio of people I know in real life who are into mead and that also attend ren faires.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Since I'm a trendy gently caress AND I found a great local honey shop in a nice little Araby, I'm gonna make an omphacomel. I haven't done a lot of meads and I'm only just getting familiar with verjus/husroum but I'm thinking 12lbs of honey and 1 gallon of husroum for a 5 gallon recipe. Add yeast nutrient and some calcium carbonate to control the pH (water here is super soft).

Does that seem about right? Should I maybe add more verjus?

Keep an eye on your pH since that verjus seems pretty low. The MoreFlavor guide suggests 0.45 grams potassium carbonate per gallon. I've had to add that much 3 times in an attempt to keep a regular show mead with clover honey at or above pH 3.4. It can drop pretty rapidly as fermentation begins since the honey doesn't have much of a natural buffer.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Those tubs are great for swamp cooling in primary, but if you have a cube cooler just pop the lid off and it works even better. I've used this method for my last two batches. I just pour a cold gallon of water in there every other day or so and it stays at 68-70 with very little effort. Here's my setup:

(Don't ask about that lid. It's a whole thing. In short, I ferment in a five gallon bucket, so I did the double blowoff just as a fail safe kinda thing in case one of the lines got clogged. I switch to an airlock after a few days.)

Skitz fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 12, 2013

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I need some help goons. I'm going to be making a brown ale in a week or so with my soon to be Brother in Law. I said he could pick whatever he wanted (thank god it wasn't a lager), but he picked a brown ale. I only found 1 Liquid or dry Brown malt extract. So how can I make a brown ale without using any brown malt? Is it just a tom-foolery with chocolate malt and a dash of crystal? It's gotta be right so he can be converted into a home-brewer.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I need some help goons. I'm going to be making a brown ale in a week or so with my soon to be Brother in Law. I said he could pick whatever he wanted (thank god it wasn't a lager), but he picked a brown ale. I only found 1 Liquid or dry Brown malt extract. So how can I make a brown ale without using any brown malt? Is it just a tom-foolery with chocolate malt and a dash of crystal? It's gotta be right so he can be converted into a home-brewer.

Most extract brown ales get their color from steeping about 1/4 lb of chocolate malt and a pound or so of medium to dark crystal. I think brown malt is only really required in brown porters.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Like a nut brown ale? Because im pretty sure its just a mixture of dark / light malt for an overall color profile.

so like a mix of chocolate malt, biscut , etc. and im seeing 'gold malt extract' which seems to be a mix of pale extract with a bit of Carapils.

So you are probably on the right track with chocolate malt + others, and top off with LME

Edit: yeah browsing recipes shows just Chocolate malt / crystal + golden malt extract. but i bet you can go LME and replace crystal 60 with a lighter? 75L ?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 12, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Saw this on reddit. I figured the AHA wasn't gonna drop $10 to post in our thread. I guess they are trying to do a survey of the greater brewing community beyond their membership. I haven't taken it yet, but I'm at work and on my phone so I'll probably do it tonight.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=title-for-survey-announcement

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Here's what I have so far. http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/cameron-and-daves-nut-brown-ale

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think it's advised (maybe by Randy Mosher, don't remember where I read it) that you use light extract for everything and get your color via steeping grains. Chocolate malt is so dark that your color won't change much if you swap that dark LME for light.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Ok so the next logical question would be, should I even bother splitting the extracts between dry and liquid, and just go with whats cheaper per #?

Edit: Also, DME isn't supposed to be boiled right (it caramelizes the sugars or something), and I can just throw it in after hop boiling?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
oh, speaking of brewtoad, this is what i was working towards with a pumking clone, but really just a pumpkin beer

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/pumpking-clone-ish

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Ok so the next logical question would be, should I even bother splitting the extracts between dry and liquid, and just go with whats cheaper per #?

Edit: Also, DME isn't supposed to be boiled right (it caramelizes the sugars or something), and I can just throw it in after hop boiling?
You can boil DME, not sure where you heard otherwise. You do want to remove your pot from the heat source before adding extract and stir while adding (particularly with LME) to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot.

As for which to use, LME is about 20% water so it can alter your volume but otherwise they are pretty much interchangeable.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Updated http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/cameron-and-daves-brown-ale 7lbs of light DME now. I've had good experience with a whole pound of choc malt and I really like the roastyness it gives.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Roundboy posted:

oh, speaking of brewtoad, this is what i was working towards with a pumking clone, but really just a pumpkin beer

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/pumpking-clone-ish

I think a mash temp of 160 is still way too high.

e: I see it says 154 in the notes, that's a lot more reasonable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Syrinxx posted:

You can boil DME, not sure where you heard otherwise. You do want to remove your pot from the heat source before adding extract and stir while adding (particularly with LME) to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot.

As for which to use, LME is about 20% water so it can alter your volume but otherwise they are pretty much interchangeable.

The reason I would say to be careful about boiling DME is that if you dump enough in too quickly it clumps up and becomes a nightmare

It's enough of a reason that even though LME is a sticky pain to get out, at least it doesn't clump up like that

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
also you may be thinking of the latest reading i was doing regarding extract brewing and boil times.

Basically if you are using extracts, there is zero reason to bring it to a 60 min boil because its already been done in the original creation of the extracts. LME boiled for 60 min will turn much darker.

basically sdd 10% of the extract + steeped grains and any hop additions, boil for your 60 min, and add the remainder of your dry extract in the last 5 min to flameout, being very sure you are not clumping.

THis was the way i was going to run my last brew, but then i got into all grain, so its mostly a moot point.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So hold on, I use LME as most of the fermentables right now. I want to just steep the grains for the 60 minutes, then do the hops for however many minutes, and THEN add the LME before putting it in the fermenter?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

On the rare occasions when I brew extract beers, I *only* use dried extract (and get my extra colour/flavour from steeping grains). It stays fresher far longer than LME and it is much easier to weigh out for partial additions (like when making yeast starters and the like). It's too bad that so many kits come with liquid.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

DME additions 101:
Turn off the heat
Cut off the corner of the bag so you have about a 1-1.5" opening
Pour in DME in a circular motion while stirring.
Once it's fully incorporated turn heat back on.

Congratulations you've added your DME without it clumping or a boiling over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Galler posted:

DME additions 101:
Turn off the heat
Cut off the corner of the bag so you have about a 1-1.5" opening
Pour in DME in a circular motion while stirring.
Turn heat back on once it's fully incorporated.

Congratulations you've added your DME without it clumping or a boiling over.

You could also invest in one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...rds=24%22+whisk Homebrewfinds turned me on to it - it looks like an excellent substitute for a mash paddle for breaking up dough balls (and there's no reason you couldn't use it to help break up DME clumps). Mine should be delivered today.