Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Junpei posted:

here's my craziest idea: what if they adapt the Sentai that's gonna come after Zenkaiger

Yeah but we can't really speculate on that one until it actually exists in some form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But yeah, place my bets on Kyuranger or Kiramager for the next adaptation.

They've all but said ToQger won't be it, Lupin vs Patran would be too much of a hassle in today's climate, Zyuohger is my third place runner up but people have said the cube mechs are a turn-off, and Zenkaiger would just run into Super Megaforce problems.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If Power Rangers is going to keep doing adaptations the next ones will be ToQger or Kiramager since I've recently been been importing the robo toys for both

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Junpei posted:

But yeah, place my bets on Kyuranger or Kiramager for the next adaptation.

They've all but said ToQger won't be it, Lupin vs Patran would be too much of a hassle in today's climate, Zyuohger is my third place runner up but people have said the cube mechs are a turn-off, and Zenkaiger would just run into Super Megaforce problems.

I mean all they have to do is keep Zenkaiger's premise and have all the other Ranger teams be from other dimensions, media for kids use that sort of explanation all the time these days so it's not like it'll confuse them all that much if at all, plus Power Rangers itself has been using that sort of stuff a bunch in recent years anyways, could even tie it in with the Lord Drakkon stuff from the comics if they want

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Kyuranger set up an idea of each monster of the week could
be handled by a different team best suited to the task...and then just didn't bother to actually explore the idea of different teams of rangers having different interpersonal mechanics and the like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Kyuranger set up an idea of each monster of the week could
be handled by a different team best suited to the task...and then just didn't bother to actually explore the idea of different teams of rangers having different interpersonal mechanics and the like.

Ugh the Monsters of the Week in Kyuranger were the worst. The first dozen or so eps had a bunch of orinignal monsters as normal, but it didn't take them long to just start doing palette swaps or simple mods to the originals and then call them different. It was an obvious cost saving measure given that they had to allocate a lot more money to Ranger suits than normal, but they hadn't figured out the fix that Kiramaiger started where they just replace the heads with a cheap body suit and maybe issue new props or hands or something as a way to save money on villains and it does a helluva lot more than just changing their colors.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't blame Toei for not inventing 50+ new monsters every year, that poo poo's gotta be exhausting and expensive, especially from a toyetic point of view.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Is there a reason Sentai figures aren't really a thing anymore? Does Japan just prefer role play items and Mecha?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't blame Toei for not inventing 50+ new monsters every year, that poo poo's gotta be exhausting and expensive, especially from a toyetic point of view.

Toei should just take some hints from Tsuburaya and turn the monsters into recurring characters. That way they get to reuse the same suits forever and fans will be happy for it.

Maybe have them have slight variations to fit whatever theme they're going for each year. Still cheaper than brand new monsters probably.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with that one is that Kiramager's designs translated terribly to toy form(well mostly for the main robo but that's the most important thing) and I'm not sure Hasbro can fix that while still remaining accurate to the source material

i haven't actually watched any Kiramager yet, but i like the Mashin toys i have. the colours are really nice and the translucent plastics and shiny bits make the whole thing just look really pretty (which is why i bought them before even watching the show, lol)

the robo is a bit small for a DX Megazord but in terms of lack of articulation and the proportions being a bit stocky compared to the show suit that's basically just standard Sentai stuff, isn't it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Generally it's more like 20-30 not counting up to a half doezen other monsters as generals/big bads.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I hope 3D printing makes making toku seats easier and cheaper so we can get more monsters

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

I hope 3D printing makes making toku seats easier and cheaper so we can get more monsters

with the amount of action that some of those suits need, idk if 3d printed stuff is robust enough for most of it. Maybe the props, but those'd still need polishing and machining to clean up the layers.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Heroes of the Grid decided to finally correct the injustice perpetrated by the mobile game by adding a Chun-Li Ranger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTB1sYJJqNY

E: turns out they did add her to the mobile game as a ranger and I'm wrong. I never noticed because it didn't have all the pomp and circumstance of Ryuranger lmao

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 11, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Geddy Krueger posted:

E: turns out they did add her to the mobile game as a ranger and I'm wrong. I never noticed because it didn't have all the pomp and circumstance of Ryuranger lmao

Yeah, I think the announcement was sneaking her into the Ryu trailer. "Also Chunners! K Bye."

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I finished Beast Morphers the other day, all told it was a pretty good series! It was certainly more referential than I was expecting, with a number of crossovers and old characters returning. I wish they'd done more with the vault concept but I liked what we got.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTB1sYJJqNY

Trailer for Chun-Li in Battle for the Grid

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 12, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MMPR comic was mostly plans going wrong this week. The more interesting thing was a reversal of the usual Top Good Guys and Top Bad Guys orientation.

The leader of Zordon's knights or whatever we're calling them made contact with him. The Empyreal things the Omegas and Drakkon are chasing have been devastating their forces, and Eltar intends to claim Earth as it's territory.

Grace willingly conceded Angel Grove to Zedd, and has bargained for Zedd to leave permanently with Zordon captive. Last page is Zedd reminding the rangers that humanity never had anything to do with Zordon's old grudges with the villains that went on for millennia, so just give up the old man and all this will stop.

This issue felt a lot like that one Thunderzord episode where Zedd came by to kick sand in everyone's faces, and combined with a flashback sequence involving the Zeo Crystal I kind of wonder if they're just going to say nuts to the Kakuranger stuff after all.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 13, 2021

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New lighting collection:
SPD A-Squad
In space 2 pack- Blue vs Psycho silver
MMPR Yellow vs Scorpina
Civilian Andros
Turbo Phantom ranger blaster

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Psycho Silver? Wow.

All we really need is an updated Astronema with multiple hairstyles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/CantadaForce/status/1393714922471649283?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That cast seems like they're having a lot of fun together and they're getting to tell fun Power Ranger stories. It's nice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So, uh, what's the consensus on the badly writted C&D notices sent to fansub groups lately? I'm kinda bummed, personally. Whether they're real or not, I'm disappointed that watching these shows I enjoy has become much more difficult.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, uh, what's the consensus on the badly writted C&D notices sent to fansub groups lately? I'm kinda bummed, personally. Whether they're real or not, I'm disappointed that watching these shows I enjoy has become much more difficult.

It seems like some groups like Overtime are still going to keep going, only now instead of posting links on their website said subs will just be dumped straight onto torrent trackers.

TVN may be going down on account of this but that’s no big loss honestly.

Personally I wish Toei would follow Tsuburaya’s example and start releasing official subs for their recent shows on their YouTube channel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah that's a thing.

Largely nothing should change for you. They can't/won't advertise their subs on their blogs anymore, but they will still be going up on the Usual Places and you can keep up to date with them on their discord.

There are no plans to stop what they're doing, any of them, they just can't be *as* blatant about it as before. Toei is starting to come to America so yeah. They also, expressly, only care about Rider and Sentai. They do not give a stone cold gently caress about subbing other shows. So that's kind of neat.

The ideal out come is for Toei to become Tsuburaya-like, and start simulcasting their shows and making them widely available on legal streaming, bluray and DVD but no one is oging to hold their breath about that. Though there is a distant hope with Zero-One getting a bluray release

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I mean, if Toei were going to start releasing things here again, then fair enough. I wouldn't begrudge them that, it's their right as the owners of those IPs. I would absolutely support the official Toei youtube if it started cranking out Zenkaiger or KR Sabre, or even just the full series runs of previous shows. It just seems so pathetic to go after subbers if they're not intending to fill that space themselves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, if Toei were going to start releasing things here again, then fair enough. I wouldn't begrudge them that, it's their right as the owners of those IPs. I would absolutely support the official Toei youtube if it started cranking out Zenkaiger or KR Sabre, or even just the full series runs of previous shows. It just seems so pathetic to go after subbers if they're not intending to fill that space themselves.

At the moment we're not sure what their plans are. In theory they're ramping up to do just that, but until they do, fansub groups will be around.

It also should be clarified- this was not a cease and desist. TVN is not in trouble, there was nothing legal to those letters.

It was basically a very stern "We See You" warning.

Not quite 'knock it off' but 'be less obvious'.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are officially licensed shows out there that are still being fansubbed as well so I’m pretty sure groups like that will probably be around forever (and it’s not just limited to the US either).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's a theory floating around that this has nothing to actually do with them giving a drat about fansubs and that instead it's just because they find Western Toku fans annoying cause we pester them on Twitter and spread leaks, and they don't realize how stubborn Western fandoms can be and that a couple poorly made legalese letters isn't going to be enough to be rid of us

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

There's a theory floating around that this has nothing to actually do with them giving a drat about fansubs and that instead it's just because they find Western Toku fans annoying cause we pester them on Twitter and spread leaks, and they don't realize how stubborn Western fandoms can be and that a couple poorly made legalese letters isn't going to be enough to be rid of us

That's got nothing to do with it.

Though it would be very funny, the reality is that this is corporate stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

That's got nothing to do with it.

Though it would be very funny, the reality is that this is corporate stuff.

Well the theory is that normally they wouldn't bother(cause as long as you keep them off YouTube toku fansubs are literally small potatoes) but recent behavior on the fans end ruffled up some feathers over at Toei and now they're being petty but disguising it as just being business

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Well the theory is that normally they wouldn't bother(cause as long as you keep them off YouTube toku fansubs are literally small potatoes) but recent behavior on the fans end ruffled up some feathers over at Toei and now they're being petty but disguising it as just being business

Yeah but you have to understand that the logic of this is rooted in the need to blame someone in particular. Those lovely fans, Toei being petty, whatever

That's simply not the case. No one is to blame for this, beyond systemic stuff. Toei as a company aren't going to give two shits about some dorks messaging them on twitter unless it affected their bottom line. That kind of thinking leads to people getting undue poo poo for stuff they did not do anything to deserve and should be discouraged across the board.

The most that's done is change how the catalogue reveals worked, and that was a dumb system anyways. The reality is far simpler and less personal, which can make it feel a lot rougher and less *hopeful*- Toei was never going to abide by fansubbing groups operating as they have been if they were going to push into English speaking territories. Which they are, and getting more serious about.

I hope you understand why I want to discourage this as much as I do. It's nice to have someone to blame, for it to be someone's fault that you can point to, but that doesn't mean that its right. There is no one subset of people ruining things for everyone.

Its capitalism that is the enemy here baby.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah but Capitalism is something you can't do anything about so we need something more concrete and human to get mad at

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah but Capitalism is something you can't do anything about so we need something more concrete and human to get mad at

Maybe just don't get mad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe just don't get mad.

You're asking the impossible here

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

There are officially licensed shows out there that are still being fansubbed as well so I’m pretty sure groups like that will probably be around forever (and it’s not just limited to the US either).

While you can even find anime ripped and re-encoded from Crunchy, Funi etc, with Funi’s little station identification thing at the start and everything, the tighter knit toku community has always been nervous about stepping on toes. Probably because from the very beginning there was concerns that Saban/Disney would see them as threats to their cultural adaptions. In particular Saban, because PR was the only available form of Sentai in countries not called Japan, and they even dubbed PR and re-released it with the American cast in Japan, so it was believed that Saban had a significant investment in keeping Toei obscure and locked away to their home country.

You have people like me and KRDL guy sitting on terabytes of episodes of varying license status, but so long as subs continue to be “transfrom” quality they probably won’t disappear.

I’d rather Toei just work with Shout Factory on old seasons and movies. Prices for Japanese blu rays are borderline outrageous, from what I’ve heard.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

While you can even find anime ripped and re-encoded from Crunchy, Funi etc, with Funi’s little station identification thing at the start and everything, the tighter knit toku community has always been nervous about stepping on toes. Probably because from the very beginning there was concerns that Saban/Disney would see them as threats to their cultural adaptions. In particular Saban, because PR was the only available form of Sentai in countries not called Japan, and they even dubbed PR and re-released it with the American cast in Japan, so it was believed that Saban had a significant investment in keeping Toei obscure and locked away to their home country.

You have people like me and KRDL guy sitting on terabytes of episodes of varying license status, but so long as subs continue to be “transfrom” quality they probably won’t disappear.

I’d rather Toei just work with Shout Factory on old seasons and movies. Prices for Japanese blu rays are borderline outrageous, from what I’ve heard.

Fair point, though torrents seem a little harder for them to track overall so that’s probably what a lot of fansubbers are going to go with from here on

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1397660169304264705

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hasbro says "gently caress your hiatus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015