Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mailer posted:

I unironically love Sagebrush's position as the Air Police in this thread. :3:

if y'all don't stop breaking regs I'll call the virtual FSDO on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Sagebrush posted:

if y'all don't stop breaking regs I'll call the virtual FSDO on you

Avsim forum mods don't gently caress around, y'all be careful out there.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
All I wanna know is if there's any rule that states that a dog can't be the pilot in command.

The plot of my AirBud fanfic hinges on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bedurndurn posted:

All I wanna know is if there's any rule that states that a dog can't be the pilot in command.

The plot of my AirBud fanfic hinges on it.

"There's no rules that say a dog can't fly an airliner" - NTSB investigator at press conference discussing findings after crash of Air Bud flight 1.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cojawfee posted:

I assume it was a fuel mixture problem. You have to pull it out when you're flying up that high. Pull the mixture handle out until you hear the engine get loud again and you should have enough power to fly around.

This sounds like something I'll have to try in more sane weather because I was mostly hearing thunder and a lot of clanging and popping lol.

Sagebrush posted:

No plane should ever fly through a thunderstorm. You will get massive turbulence, up and downdrafts of thousands of feet per minute (i.e. air pushing you down faster than the airplane can climb), severe wind shear, blinding rain, lightning, and hail. Flying a C152, which is as light as a kite and gets blown around in a 10 knot wind, into a thunderstorm is gonna make you have a Bad Day. Remaining at least 20 nautical miles from the nearest storm cell is a good rule.

That said, the C152 in game has the minimum equipment required for IFR flight, so it is not technically illegal for you to fly into a thunderstorm (aside from 14 CFR 91.13, which says you shall not operate in a careless or reckless manner).

Its only radio-nav equipment is a single VOR receiver, though, without even any DME, so you're gonna be navigating like it's 1945. Get out your stopwatch and E6B.
My goal is to try some VFR-to-IMC situation where I have to switch over to instruments without having a pretty Garmin just virtually showing me everything. Ye olde steampunk dials gets me there. I would ask here if there's a better alternative plane, but I actually think the aircraft selection does show whether or not the plane has a Garmin, so I can probably figure out a plane that is a little newer without giving me everything.

The storm was based on a recommendation to try Page, Arizona with stormy weather. Instead of getting a front rolling in, I was right in the middle. So maybe I'll try just cloudy weather next time.

quote:

It doesn't have any airframe anti-icing, no. There is a placard somewhere in the plane (maybe it's just in the POH) that says FLIGHT INTO KNOWN ICING CONDITIONS PROHIBITED. If you're getting icing on the wings you almost definitely have icing in the carb too, so you should turn that on. Don't forget the pitot heater; if you have ice on the wings, that 1/8" hole in your pitot tube is almost certainly clogged, meaning your airspeed indicator will stop working. Cabin heat can technically help defrost your windshield so might as well turn it on too.
I think that actually happened. I was losing my speed indicator. Do you know if the cabin heat will actually defrost the windshield? It just seems like once I get ice on the cockpit, it's there forever. I'm actually tempted to clad myself in some ice again, land using the exterior view, and just park the plane somewhere for a few hours while I go live my real life. I don't necessarily even trust time acceleration for that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My goal is to try some VFR-to-IMC situation where I have to switch over to instruments without having a pretty Garmin just virtually showing me everything. Ye olde steampunk dials gets me there. I would ask here if there's a better alternative plane, but I actually think the aircraft selection does show whether or not the plane has a Garmin, so I can probably figure out a plane that is a little newer without giving me everything.

You can load up planes in the hangar without any load screens. That's a good way to check out the cockpits and see what instruments they're rocking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This sounds like something I'll have to try in more sane weather because I was mostly hearing thunder and a lot of clanging and popping lol.

The storm was based on a recommendation to try Page, Arizona with stormy weather. Instead of getting a front rolling in, I was right in the middle. So maybe I'll try just cloudy weather next time.

I think that actually happened. I was losing my speed indicator. Do you know if the cabin heat will actually defrost the windshield? It just seems like once I get ice on the cockpit, it's there forever. I'm actually tempted to clad myself in some ice again, land using the exterior view, and just park the plane somewhere for a few hours while I go live my real life. I don't necessarily even trust time acceleration for that.

I’ve definitely melts when you get back to warm air. It will take awhile if it’s like +1 or +2 though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

"There's no rules that say a dog can't fly an airliner" - NTSB investigator at press conference discussing findings after crash of Air Bud flight 1.

the dog would have to be able to speak english to get a pilot's certificate, and he'd have to find a doctor to certify that his color-blindness wouldn't affect his ability to read charts, but other than that there don't appear to be any restrictions

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

the dog would have to be able to speak english to get a pilot's certificate, and he'd have to find a doctor to certify that his color-blindness wouldn't affect his ability to read charts, but other than that there don't appear to be any restrictions

From some of the "pilot mill" students I've heard, I'm pretty sure the "speaks English" part is very open to interpretation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

what if the dog speaks english via morse code through his barks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

From some of the "pilot mill" students I've heard, I'm pretty sure the "speaks English" part is very open to interpretation.

Can confirm. I don’t think the FSDOs in Florida have ever pursued cert action based on that rule.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Out of curiosity, do towers in parts of the country that have many spanish speakers have spanish services? Can you get away with doing radio comms in spanish in florida or socal?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The ATC people who post here would know better, but if that did happen, I bet it would be at a small, not-too-busy towered airport where the pilot and controller knew each other and agreed to it beforehand. I've heard of the occasional Memoranda Of Understanding where a guy gets permission to use the private call sign Bigballs 420 for flights in the vicinity of the airport or whatever.

Highly unlikely you'd get that at a major airport. Even setting aside the regulations and the racism, having multiple languages on frequency seems like it would always make things run worse. When in the vicinity of the airport I'm listening to all the calls, not just my own, and building a mental picture of where everyone is and what they're doing. If I hear a Pilatus get cleared for a base entry as I'm on downwind, I already know which quadrant to start looking in for him, and when the tower calls to have me do a 360 for extra spacing I'm already expecting it. Out in the woods I can also eavesdrop on people talking about the weather, the airfield conditions, flying idiots to look out for, and all that. It's just good all around to have everyone understand everyone else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmvJT5-HLc

Don't switch languages to try and talk poo poo though!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sagebrush posted:

And be 17 years old

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

And be 17 years old

the FAR doesn't say human years

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sagebrush posted:

the FAR doesn't say human years

:hmmyes:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This game is making me wish I was a cargo pilot irl, seems like a pretty chill job.

Maybe in the next life.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Out of curiosity, do towers in parts of the country that have many spanish speakers have spanish services? Can you get away with doing radio comms in spanish in florida or socal?

Not basically ever in the states. Internationally, it’s pretty common for locals to use the local language.

All US facilities maintain a list of languages spoken, and some facilities purposely staff people with certain language skills, but that’s for coordination with foreign facilities, not for over-the-air communications.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sapozhnik posted:

This game is making me wish I was a cargo pilot irl, seems like a pretty chill job.

Maybe in the next life.
Modern sim games do a really good job of distilling the really satisfying parts of jobs into a game. Sim trucking, farming, and cargo planing are all super fun number go up experience when in real life they are demanding miserable sacrifices of human life and quality of living to make enough margin so a slightly higher class can enjoy the fruits while the actual workers cant because they are literally dying and losing limbs.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Maybe in the next life.

At the top end (FedEx or UPS), it's a pretty sweet gig, but the lower end is some of the most challenging flying out there. Some companies (mostly the ones doing work for FedEx) have decent equipment, since FedEx actually owns the airplanes and basically hires people to run them.

UPS just goes with the lowest bidder who already has airplanes, so you end up with fleets of ancient airplanes with questionable reliability, and the pay tends to be crap too.

Entry-level cargo flying also involves a lot of working the wrong side of the clock, doing single pilot IFR (possibly without an autopilot), in airplanes that may or may not handle weather (the Cessna Caravan is famously horrible at dealing with icing), so it's absurdly challenging flying for nowhere near enough money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's interesting that it works out that way since, truck wise, UPS runs their own trucks and Fedex hires contractors to deliver things.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was looking at Pearson Field in Vancouver, OR in Google Maps and noticed this adorable little taildragger in the 3D render.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 27, 2020

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Vans RV? There's a lot of those around here in the Portland area since the factory is so close.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ah, yeah, that's probably it. Apparently they're the most popular kit aircraft in the world. Shows how much I know. :v:

Someone should make a My Summer Car but for some complex 1500 manhour kit aircraft.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ah, yeah, that's probably it. Apparently they're the most popular kit aircraft in the world. Shows how much I know. :v:

Someone should make a My Summer Car but for some complex 1500 manhour kit aircraft.

Tiira 1 is the My Summer Car of airplanes.

quote:

Tiira 1 ("Tern 1") was designed and built by a Finnish welder and house painter from materials salvaged from his farm in 1973. The builder had no formal aviation education, training or experience besides some basic glider plane model building in his youth. He studied aviation magazines and literature on loan from a local library before starting the project.

Tiira was operated on skis and was powered by a 50 hp Volkswagen van engine and had top speed of about 70 knots. It had no instruments or ailerons and "had to be driven like a car" with only with rudder and elevator control.

The plane amassed total of 70 flight hours until it was spotted in 1977 by a nearby Oulu airport ATC primary radar 60 km away, based on rumors about a phantom plane. The builder was fined and "Tiira" grounded. It was later contributed to Finnish Air Force Museum by a collector who had bought the plane.

The original builder flew again in 1983 with another homemade plane, "Tiira 2". He was caught again and was charged and sentenced to a four month suspended sentence for operating without a license. The police disabled the plane by confiscating the hand-carved wooden propeller that had taken over two months to make. In 2009 the builder was again caught flying his new homemade plane "Tiira 3". He was fined and this plane was confiscated.

According to the amateur pilot, he gathered about flight 800 hours in his planes without any forced landings or engine failures. He has promised officials not to fly his planes again.

In 2014 an unidentified plane was spotted in the same area by Oulu ATC. The now 67-year old pilot is again under suspicion for taking flight.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, this guy owns

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It would be cool if the RV6 from Flight 2012 could be ported to this game. The graphics aren't 2020 quality but they hold up well and the cockpit seemed to be pretty lovingly modeled.

IIRC all the other cockpit planes were modeled nicely but I had difficulty getting the DLC cub to load when I tried to install it last. The A5 is here already though, although this time with flaps.

I think it'd be possible cause people ported FSX stuff to it and FSX to this game right? Wonder if the code was used for FS2020 at all or they jumped off from FSX.

Of course nav equipment and AP and maybe not even radio was ever simulated in that game so that would have to be fixed.

Edit: the Maule Orion was a nice utility plane that would be fun to have too.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

The more I learn about Finland, the more amazing a place it seems.

Edit: This is definitely the face of a man that I would trust to not build and fly another home-made plane.

This is the third model of plane he built.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 27, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I would trust that man to not ask what was in the bag that needed to get to Walter's brother's place at Honokaa Airstrip.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can confirm that ailerons are entirely optional

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The best part is this guy is probably a legend at the local ATC.

"Alright new guy, you are ready for your first real shift! There's just one last thing, watch out for the Phantom Plane."

"What?"

"Oh, you didn't know about the Phantom Plane? Every once in a while, when the air conditions are just right you might see it appear on radar for a few moments."

"Ok, stop bullshitting me guys."

*Veteran ATC guy smiles knowingly as a feint "PERKELE!" echoes in the distance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If he has no ailerons, what does he do if the wind causes the plane to roll?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You flex the wing

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Hold your arm out the opposite window and angle your hand like an aileron.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Rudder-and-elevator only setups aren't uncommon in RC planes. With a high wing and enough dihedral, the plane will tend to level itself out, and application of just the rudder can be used to bank and turn the aircraft. It's not optimal, but it can work.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cojawfee posted:

The reptile part of my brain tells me to wiggle my butt trying to create moments of rotation.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

now remove the elevator and use the throttle for pitch control

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PMDG announced that the first PMDG add on plane will be over a year from now because.... updates from Asobo have been slow!

I don't trust PMDG to not pass the buck as much as possible, but this makes total sense from what we've seen.

I think there's a lot of room for improvement from other devs who don't take that long, and a tube liner doesn't interest me that much, but I do like the idea of PMDG releasing an aircraft because they do have a high standard and it means that the underlying systems are there (or can be compensated for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

E4C85D38 posted:

Rudder-and-elevator only setups aren't uncommon in RC planes. With a high wing and enough dihedral, the plane will tend to level itself out, and application of just the rudder can be used to bank and turn the aircraft. It's not optimal, but it can work.

yeah, when you apply rudder inner wing slows down, the outer one speeds up, creating bank movement. especially with RC planes, it can be a pretty violent roll if you apply full rudder, to the point you can easily do full rolls with just a full rudder and some elevator application.

it's how i learned to fly and it works perfectly fine as long as your rudder is large enough, which with conventional undercarriage planes it will be or you can't take off due to prop wash anyway

BMan posted:

now remove the elevator and use the throttle for pitch control

nah, this just sucks and is boring :v: