Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's Strange Visitor. I'm talking about the one between Black Canary and Vixen.

I guess everyone gave up on Orlando's Supergirl.

I KNOW WHO YOU IS TALKING ABOUT I WAS RESPONDING TO OMNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

YOU SAID "Is that"!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
HEY FOLKS! JUST FINISHED HELLBLAZER VOL5 OF THE OG RUN AND IT IS A PRETTY SOLID BOOK UP TO THIS POINT. DOES IT EVER GET BAD? I THINK THE WEAKEST STORIES ARE THE ONE OR TWO PARTERS THAT DO NOT SEEM TO CONNECT TO THE LARGER STORIES BEING TOLD. THE MORRISON AND GAIMAN STORIES WERE DISAPPOINTING. FAMILY MAN AND THAT WEIRD LEYLINE STORY WERE GOOD. THEY DO NEED MORE DEMON/MAGIC STORIES.

THIS IS THE YELLING PAGE NOW FYI. PLEASE PROBATE ALL WHO DONT YELL ON THIS PAGE X-O!!!! PLEASE AND THANKS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

HEY FOLKS! JUST FINISHED HELLBLAZER VOL5 OF THE OG RUN AND IT IS A PRETTY SOLID BOOK UP TO THIS POINT. DOES IT EVER GET BAD? I THINK THE WEAKEST STORIES ARE THE ONE OR TWO PARTERS THAT DO NOT SEEM TO CONNECT TO THE LARGER STORIES BEING TOLD. THE MORRISON AND GAIMAN STORIES WERE DISAPPOINTING. FAMILY MAN AND THAT WEIRD LEYLINE STORY WERE GOOD. THEY DO NEED MORE DEMON/MAGIC STORIES.

THIS IS THE YELLING PAGE NOW FYI. PLEASE PROBATE ALL WHO DONT YELL ON THIS PAGE X-O!!!! PLEASE AND THANKS.

ENNIS' WORK IS PROBABLY THE HIGH WATERMARK OF THE SERIES, BUT ALMOST ALL OF IT IS SOLID. I REALLY LIKE MIKE CAREY'S RUN, ALSO AZZARELLO'S BUT THAT'S A BIT CONTROVERSIAL. SOME PEOPLE SAY DENISE MINA'S RUN IS BAD BUT THEY ARE WRONG. THE ONLY PART I DIDN'T LIKE WAS PETER MILLIGAN'S FINAL ARC BUT I THINK PART OF THE PROBLEM WAS HE DIDN'T INTEND TO STOP AT ISSUE 300 BUT WAS FORCED TO WRAP THING UP QUICKLY.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

HEY IS THE ASSUMPTION STILL THAT THE STREAMING SERVICE THAT NEW TITANS TV SERIES IS GOING TO BE ON BE A HYBRID VOD/“DC UNLIMITED” THING?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

OGB posted:

HEY IS THE ASSUMPTION STILL THAT THE STREAMING SERVICE THAT NEW TITANS TV SERIES IS GOING TO BE ON BE A HYBRID VOD/“DC UNLIMITED” THING?

NOBODY KNOW. EVERYTHING HAS GONE QUIET WITH IT.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Surely that's Dr Manhattan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nofather posted:

Surely that's Dr Manhattan.

His avatar? Yeah that makes sense.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MAN gently caress THAT JFOUNDATION PAGE SERIOISLY WHY YOU GOTTA PLAY MY GIRL SPARXX LIKE THAT. :mad:

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

The love child of Jimmy Hart and Randy Savage reborn in DC Comics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

nofather posted:

The love child of Jimmy Hart and Randy Savage reborn in DC Comics.

Pretty sure it's either a take on Waylon, or younger Hank Jr. But now I want Macho Man's voice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's definitely a Macho Man pastiche.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know who this Green Lantern is? He's huge, has an eyepatch and beard.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #40

Never mind, figured it out: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Raynunn_(Prime_Earth)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Morrison/Paquette interview on WW Earth One 2 with some new pages.
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/04/30/morrison-and-paquette-discuss-wonder-woman-earth-one-vol-2

e: Killer timing on next week's AC special.
https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/991094326628306944

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 1, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anybody like Deadshot? I'm watching the new Suicide Squad cartoon(it sucks, btw) and Deadshot is here again, and the movie is treating him like a cool character the audience will enjoy watching. BUt he's the lamest loving thing ever. And the whole thing where you're supposed to feel bad about him because he can't see his daughter because he's a loving murder is so dumb. Deadshot was the exact same in the live-action movie too; terrible but presented like he's the coolest dude.

Is Deadshot really great in the comics and always just translated poorly to the screen? Or is it like Cyborg where the only person who cares about him is the boss so he is forced to be a big deal?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anybody like Deadshot? I'm watching the new Suicide Squad cartoon(it sucks, btw) and Deadshot is here again, and the movie is treating him like a cool character the audience will enjoy watching. BUt he's the lamest loving thing ever. And the whole thing where you're supposed to feel bad about him because he can't see his daughter because he's a loving murder is so dumb. Deadshot was the exact same in the live-action movie too; terrible but presented like he's the coolest dude.

Is Deadshot really great in the comics and always just translated poorly to the screen? Or is it like Cyborg where the only person who cares about him is the boss so he is forced to be a big deal?

I haven't liked Deadshot since the old 90s Squad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I liked him in Tim Seeley's run on New Suicide Squad.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gotta admit, I'm a big Deadshot fan. Have been since John Ostrander's original 1987-1992 Suicide Squad run that put him on the map. I appreciate that he's a professional with a code, that he'll do right by his teammates even if he doesn't always like, trust, or respect them, and that he might be a killer, but he's not an indiscriminate killer like Joker or countless other villains. And I appreciate supervillains who are written as antiheroes or "not-so-bad bad guys," who go up against people far worse than they are. He and Captain Cold are two of my favorite characters for similar reasons.

I just watched Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay on Friday and thought it was okay, but it was an adaptation of a Secret Six storyline written by Gail Simone -- that team also included Deadshot as a member. I thought it was a better portrayal of the Suicide Squad than the Ayer movie, but the best one of all is Batman: Assault on Arkham. You probably won't like it because it is the most positive, heroic, badass portrayal of Deadshot yet -- he sleeps with Harley and beats up Batman AND the Joker. Neal McDonough (Damien Darkh from the CW/DC shows and Quarles from Justified) does his voice there.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually did see that one and you're right, I didn't like it. I've seen three Suicide Squad movies and I think it's time I realize that the whole concept is not for me. Super badass edgy criminals on badass missions where they shoot people. They're all so badass and edgy that they're completely unlikable, and they don't even have relationships with each other because they only talk in edgy quips and badass threats, until the end when some of them don't betray the others because they're really good guys on the inside.

And then Deadshot gets to see his daughter and that's supposed to be a good thing, even though he's a serial killer for hire.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am a big Deadshot fan as well. Even convinced my mom to make me a Deadshot costume when I was about 10 for a costume party (I used to read my brothers suicide squad comics). Ostrander really made him a compelling character and I recommend checking out the mini series Ostrander wrote about him.
What made him an interesting character was that due to a screwed up family life Deadshot had a death wish that meant he would purposely put himself at lethal position not caring if he survived or not (like shooting up a private airplane midair just to kill someone while he was also on said plane).
Also worth checking out Gage's mini which added the daughter dynamic to Deadshot. The thinking was that after the traumatic events of Ostrander's mini Deadshot no longer had a (family) anchor and by giving him a daughter he regained something. It's a great story and worth looking into. Also read Ostrander's original Suicide Squad run (and the recent mini) and Secret Six where Deadshot has a great bromance with Catman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah I also anti-care about Deadshot, at least him being sold as an anti-hero. In general I'm leery of contract killing mercenaries being sold as anti-heroes. I have the same problem with Deathstroke, but I think Deathstroke is at least slightly more interesting to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

I actually did see that one and you're right, I didn't like it. I've seen three Suicide Squad movies and I think it's time I realize that the whole concept is not for me. Super badass edgy criminals on badass missions where they shoot people. They're all so badass and edgy that they're completely unlikable, and they don't even have relationships with each other because they only talk in edgy quips and badass threats, until the end when some of them don't betray the others because they're really good guys on the inside.

And then Deadshot gets to see his daughter and that's supposed to be a good thing, even though he's a serial killer for hire.

Double posting. Don't care. If you don't like that portrayel of the Suicide Squad I even more highly recommend Ostrander's run. It is more political thriller based with espionage and spy intrigue. Some of it is a bit dated but it is less action movie and more Black ops stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Double posting. Don't care. If you don't like that portrayel of the Suicide Squad I even more highly recommend Ostrander's run. It is more political thriller based with espionage and spy intrigue. Some of it is a bit dated but it is less action movie and more Black ops stuff.

It's really amazing to me how ahead of their time Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League International and Ostrander's Suicide Squad were. Both debuted in 1987, juggled large casts of mostly lesser-known or completely unknown characters, and went heavy on the character development. JLI played out as a superhero sitcom (that could occasionally get deadly serious) and Suicide Squad was a series of espionage/heist stories (sometimes buoyed by much-needed comic relief), but both had very "modern" sensibilities. I think they have both aged very well and feel like they could have come out in the 21st Century, unlike most '80s comics.

As for Suicide Squad, I'm a sucker for redemption stories -- villains doing something heroic, discovering some inner nobility, following a code of honor, making amends for a misspent career or a lifetime of misdeeds. And while many of them never find any redemption, arguably Deadshot does, multiple times over (like in Gage's miniseries where he finds out he has a daughter).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 1, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read a bit of the old JLI series. I really didn't like how it characterized and treated Power Girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read a bit of the old JLI series. I really didn't like how it characterized and treated Power Girl

You're not wrong. She was written as a scold and a bitch in Justice League Europe, and often played against a sleazy, sexually-harassing Wally West.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You're not wrong. She was written as a scold and a bitch in Justice League Europe, and often played against a sleazy, sexually-harassing Wally West.

Which is written by a kid toucher. I want to read mosaic but don’t want to support him

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is written by a kid toucher. I want to read mosaic but don’t want to support him

Mosaic had some amazing artwork. Read it for the artwork.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

She was a standard caricature of a 'feminazi' but most of the crew were pretty broad stroke caricatures. I still found the book pretty funny, although sometimes cringey as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Well it's not like it will ever be reprinted again and they don't get a cut of back issue sales so you can read it without supporting him.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Suicide Squad vol 2 really made me like the idea. Major Disaster, Cluemaster trying to redeem himself for Spoiler (dying in the first issue), Luthor as president. I went back and read vol 1 afterwards and while I liked it I think it has a bit of a dated style to it. Loved Duchess.

I've said before I think comics in general have a problem with team-based comics lately (like the past 20 years) and it probably doesn't help that they're so anchored to the main personalities in the current group. I can't see Amanda Waller killing Deadshot or Harley Quinn at all, and ever since they made Waller skinny I keep expecting them to put her and Deadshot in a romance. I like Katana in the group, though. The Killer Croc/June Moon thing was cute. I think the team needs more of the Gotham touch. Riddler, especially this Riddler, complete psychopath, 'the brains' and an instant obstacle for the group to deal with. It's not pies, now, it's riddles that humiliate you. My ambien's kicking in so I'm rambling.

The antagonism is needed there, and they've tried switching her out for others but it doesn't seem to work well. These groups are really made greater by having interesting antagonists, and Suicide Squad doesn't seem to be able to go a run without having Rustam the Middle Eastern Terrorist pop up like the Iron Shiek. Which is a shame, because Nu52 did give us some new international bad guy groups to work with. The lack of interesting international enemies doesn't seem to be a DC alone problem, other companies are struggling over it too.

Some ideas. Tom King's Omega Men -heavily- implied that the US government has some sway in space. Waller is a name known outside of our solar system. If World Police isn't working out because in real life we understand that, hey, Russians and Middle Easterners are people too, not walking stereotypes. Then be space police. Secure the US's space alliances with the Suicide Squad. You get interactions with alien groups, alien gangs and religions that can be entirely stereotypical because they're not Earth stuff. So they can train guerrilla fighters and overthrow recalcitrant regimes so that new regimes will pop up that will be more willing to make deals.

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 1, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I heard Waller is back to her original design.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

I heard Waller is back to her original design.

She's bigger, not as big but not model-thin like she was. She looks more like the movie Waller.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nofather posted:

She's bigger, not as big but not model-thin like she was. She looks more like the movie Waller.

From looking. A distinct bit heavier. Which is all she really needed, not to look like a young super model.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Deadshot was only good in Secret Six and his original mini from the 80s. He is nesrly a noncharacter in the OG sucicide squad run. Thebpie in the face lasted longer and had more impact than deadshot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was a Deadshot mini in 2005 that was pretty good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think he's more interesting than Deathstroke at least but that's not a high bar really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like when he wore a top hat and tux, or at least I like the one page that gets posted.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

Suicide Squad vol 2 really made me like the idea. Major Disaster, Cluemaster trying to redeem himself for Spoiler (dying in the first issue), Luthor as president. I went back and read vol 1 afterwards and while I liked it I think it has a bit of a dated style to it. Loved Duchess.

I've said before I think comics in general have a problem with team-based comics lately (like the past 20 years) and it probably doesn't help that they're so anchored to the main personalities in the current group. I can't see Amanda Waller killing Deadshot or Harley Quinn at all, and ever since they made Waller skinny I keep expecting them to put her and Deadshot in a romance. I like Katana in the group, though. The Killer Croc/June Moon thing was cute. I think the team needs more of the Gotham touch. Riddler, especially this Riddler, complete psychopath, 'the brains' and an instant obstacle for the group to deal with. It's not pies, now, it's riddles that humiliate you. My ambien's kicking in so I'm rambling.

The antagonism is needed there, and they've tried switching her out for others but it doesn't seem to work well. These groups are really made greater by having interesting antagonists, and Suicide Squad doesn't seem to be able to go a run without having Rustam the Middle Eastern Terrorist pop up like the Iron Shiek. Which is a shame, because Nu52 did give us some new international bad guy groups to work with. The lack of interesting international enemies doesn't seem to be a DC alone problem, other companies are struggling over it too.

Some ideas. Tom King's Omega Men -heavily- implied that the US government has some sway in space. Waller is a name known outside of our solar system. If World Police isn't working out because in real life we understand that, hey, Russians and Middle Easterners are people too, not walking stereotypes. Then be space police. Secure the US's space alliances with the Suicide Squad. You get interactions with alien groups, alien gangs and religions that can be entirely stereotypical because they're not Earth stuff. So they can train guerrilla fighters and overthrow recalcitrant regimes so that new regimes will pop up that will be more willing to make deals.

Agree with most of this, though I am enjoying the current run of SS. With Ostrander's original series the idea of using second string characters meant that no character was safe from death (though Ostrander definitely had a core group that he would keep safe from harm). Also the idea that Waller has access to more than just 5 characters so she could tailor-make her team roster to suit any mission was also very interesting. Current SS is basically the same characters as the movie going through the motions. It would be nice to see Waller use other villains outside of the core members.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Michel Fiffe's Copra is a pastiche of Ostrander's Suicide Squad-- well, really, let's be candid, it's extremely loving and precise fan-fic with names just barely changed-- and it has a pretty compelling Deadshot analogue, I think largely because he's nudged somewhat out of the position of protagonist ergo he doesn't have to tick off some of the more tired "anti-hero" boxes. There's an arc where he's on a rampage going after the comic's Captain Boomerang analogue in which he's essentially a slasher-movie monster that's just a very tense, engaging long action sequence that does sell the narrative efficacy of a character who can be boiled down to "taciturn, shoots guns."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is tangential to your post, but I just want to point out that Deadshot is great in that episode of the Justice League cartoon where the Suicide Squad pulls a heist on the League's space station. It's kind of a cheat (because everything about that cartoon was great) but there is at least one example of him being translated well.