Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

cool av posted:

just starting out in replicant and this talk about purposely dying in an efficient way to farm a random drop sounds absolutely horrible.

are you guys just nuts or is the grind going to be necessary?

As one of the people who did it, it's absolutely just dumb completionist tendencies. I would strongly recommend not doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I got to the final stage in Drakengard 3 finally. That sure wasn’t what I was expecting. Also a single mistake takes you aaalllll the way back. gently caress.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cool av posted:

just starting out in replicant and this talk about purposely dying in an efficient way to farm a random drop sounds absolutely horrible.

There is no reason to upgrade even a single weapon in the game, we’re just all loving stupid.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

cool av posted:

As someone in the middle of all that farming, it is absolutely grognard trophy hunting. There is zero mandatory farming if you're just going through the game to get all the endings. The worst you'll have to do is to get endings C/D/E you'll have to get all the weapons and one of them requires like maybe 20 minutes of farming if you have bad luck. You absolutely don't have to upgrade them all (the majority of the farming people are doing) or grow a lunar tear (the other slog) unless you want the trophy.

I played the original Nier back in the day so I knew exactly what I was getting into. I would not recommend it for the average person.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm not a complete grognard, I ignored things like lunar tear growing and maxing out all weapons, but did 100% quests and still managed to max out a bunch of weapons just by playing through all endings (and maybe like rerunning a place here and there for like 10 minutes at a time). I still felt like I got everything out of the game and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gutcruncher posted:

I got to the final stage in Drakengard 3 finally. That sure wasn’t what I was expecting. Also a single mistake takes you aaalllll the way back. gently caress.

Lol gl

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Gutcruncher posted:

Nice we're 2021 Final Song buddies. I literally got through it last night for the first time since release. Took about 3 days of making attempts with some memory of how nonsense it is. It's horseshit by the end of it and it throws the conventions of the rhythm game out the window just for the final three notes with no clear reason you would know to press the button twice when the singer hits the last note and once when Mihkail says his SECOND line. Such utter bullshit but it's so fun to learn to do.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you get stuck someone made this pretty cool thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXTI88FGuvI

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Holy poo poo I watched a video to see how the last 10 seconds or so would go and I would’ve never. NEVER. known that was two buttons without that visual guide

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yep! Absolute horseshit. I was doing really good on runs getting to near that point and when I finally got there I was like, "Oh gently caress this is nonsense isn't it." and looked it up.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXm6uahBq1E

Youtube just recommended me this. Not sure what the hell I just watched but those boys definitely killed it :blush:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

beep by grandpa posted:

I wonder if anyone in history has beaten this sequence the legit way. The last notes are just literally impossible without these kinds of guides to do it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i never got a single large gear so i ended up doing the black pearl grind and lucked out with a single metal piercing.

after i got the weapon upgrade trophy, i triumphantly sold all my materials. then i went on to do the route c/d.

during the mandatory junk heap memory alloy hunt i had three large gears drop

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Hikaki posted:

I wonder if anyone in history has beaten this sequence the legit way. The last notes are just literally impossible without these kinds of guides to do it.

In the old days, you used LOTS of trial and error.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Finally, time to move onto games made this decade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Got ending E. That was some good poo poo, and the sort of thing I was expecting/hoping for from route B/C/D. It kind of feels like a little taste of what the rest of the game could've been if Taro had the budget and experience that he had for Automata (minus the actual Automata links and references).

I'm so glad we got to play as Kainé too, even if it was just for an hour or two. I'm gutted that we didn't get to play as her through all of route B.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

beep by grandpa posted:

That's the one I used yeah.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been fine doing all the sidequests so far but the prospect of farming at the Junk Heap is making me consider giving up, I hate that place so much

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh god I need 14 titanium alloy... That's what's standing between me and 100% quests...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
enjoy the heap motherfucka

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

After reading the best way to farm Titanium alloy and giving it a couple runs...

I am going to enjoy my 95% quest completion and move on

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you don't have the 30% item drop word rune yet they drop from the very very top outside part of the lost shrine from the shaman shades (the area right before hansel & gretel/shadowlord castle)

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I had like 50 Titanium Alloy by the time I got the weapon upgrade trophy. It's rare, but not Memory Alloy rare.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After reading the best way to farm Titanium alloy and giving it a couple runs...

I am going to enjoy my 95% quest completion and move on

It’s not that bad to get. The red eye robots and the big ones drop it

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Casually checking with my friend who's nearing the end of route C of Automata that their internet connection is working and they've been seeing player corpses while they play, just to make sure the thing happens for them :3:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Titanium practically drops by the bucketload.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Y'all I am about to riot. I'm going for the upgrading weapons trophy and I'm at 31/33. I've been playing on hard with the loot words on my weapons and magic and just been going ham on my farming areas. I need 2 more forlorn necklaces, and 3 broken wristwatches before I am DONE so I double checked to make sure I was in the best farming area and saw that apparently game difficulty doesn't affect spawn rates anymore. Can y'all confirm that for me, because if so I am dropping this down to easy mode and turning on auto-combat and just letting Nier do his thing while I farm.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I experienced significantly higher drop rates for those exact items on Hard mode that I feel it is definitely worth staying on that difficulty.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cave emperor posted:

I had like 50 Titanium Alloy by the time I got the weapon upgrade trophy. It's rare, but not Memory Alloy rare.

I am about to finish act 2 of my first playthrough... will these quests be available in the future

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Y'all I am about to riot. I'm going for the upgrading weapons trophy and I'm at 31/33. I've been playing on hard with the loot words on my weapons and magic and just been going ham on my farming areas. I need 2 more forlorn necklaces, and 3 broken wristwatches before I am DONE so I double checked to make sure I was in the best farming area and saw that apparently game difficulty doesn't affect spawn rates anymore. Can y'all confirm that for me, because if so I am dropping this down to easy mode and turning on auto-combat and just letting Nier do his thing while I farm.

I turned it down to easy and had no trouble farming anything, just do it IMO.

Broken wristwatches seemed to drop fast from the shades in the dream you can repeatedly go to after you finish the side quest for the fortune teller in the forest, necklaces are just a pain in the rear end wherever you go.

Have you looked at the requirements for other weapons to upgrade instead? Some are way easier.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am about to finish act 2 of my first playthrough... will these quests be available in the future

If they’re in act 2 then yes, it’s only act 1 side quests that become un-finishable.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I turned it down to easy and had no trouble farming anything, just do it IMO.

Broken wristwatches seemed to drop fast from the shades in the dream you can repeatedly go to after you finish the side quest for the fortune teller in the forest, necklaces are just a pain in the rear end wherever you go.

Have you looked at the requirements for other weapons to upgrade instead? Some are way easier.

I have, but those two weapons are both at level 3 and those are the only mats I need for them. I have the Lily-Leaf sword at 3, Rebirth at 3, Ancient Overlord at 2, Axe of Beheading at 2, and Sunrise at 2, everything else is maxed. In my list for ALL the requirements, I still need 3 Forlorn Necklace, 2 Subdued Bracelet, 6 Broken Wristwatch, and 4 Rusty Kitchen Knife. I know the subdued bracelets are a literal nightmare, so I figured I'd just know out the two level 3s and be done with it. My current plan is to farm the prologue quest for the broken wristwatches and then farm the top of the shrine for the forlorn necklaces and then just run through that area to knock out endings C and D.

I was able to farm the lunar tear, and I'll get the millionaire trophy when I sell off my excess mats, so this is really the last major hump I have before the platinum.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

I have, but those two weapons are both at level 3 and those are the only mats I need for them. I have the Lily-Leaf sword at 3, Rebirth at 3, Ancient Overlord at 2, Axe of Beheading at 2, and Sunrise at 2, everything else is maxed. In my list for ALL the requirements, I still need 3 Forlorn Necklace, 2 Subdued Bracelet, 6 Broken Wristwatch, and 4 Rusty Kitchen Knife. I know the subdued bracelets are a literal nightmare, so I figured I'd just know out the two level 3s and be done with it. My current plan is to farm the prologue quest for the broken wristwatches and then farm the top of the shrine for the forlorn necklaces and then just run through that area to knock out endings C and D.

I was able to farm the lunar tear, and I'll get the millionaire trophy when I sell off my excess mats, so this is really the last major hump I have before the platinum.

In the interests of weapon trophy grind avoidance (post final ending spoilers) the weapon you can go and get after ending E can be upgraded from start to maximum with a total of 60 iron ore (store bought), 1 rusted clump and 1 broken saw so if you just want to upgrade enough weapons for the trophy and you’re tired of the grind, that’s a much better way of doing it.

If you’re hellbent on grinding for them instead of finishing the game first the plains is a much better spot to get the necklaces, set weather to misty by going in and out of the forest, roam the map killing the 4-5 un-armoured Shaman shades then use the boar sheep killing quest to reset the field by just hopping off the boar the second it starts.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’re hellbent on grinding for them instead of finishing the game first the plains is a much better spot to get the necklaces, set weather to misty by going in and out of the forest, roam the map killing the 4-5 un-armoured Shaman shades then use the boar sheep killing quest to reset the field by just hopping off the boar the second it starts.

If you have the difficulty set to Hard then I second this method; the armored shades at the top of Lost Shrine are not worth the time it takes to kill them and the guys on the plains go down in a single sprinting heavy attack from Fool's Lament lv4. If you're on Easy or Normal you should be capable of killing anything in short order so either location should be fine time-wise. Also the shades you want on the plains are available as soon as NG+ starts iirc. There are 4: one outside the village, one across the bridge, one by the broken overpass, and the last outside the Forest of Myth. There will be two new shaman that appear when you're on your way to the Shadowlord's Castle that are stronger and afaik don't drop necklaces; one hangs out on the ridge above the Forest of Myth, the other is in the ditch leading to the Junkheap.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I’m near the timeskip and why does the Shadowlord look like Young Nier? I’m pretty familiar with the story of Nier through LPs and summaries but that’s one thing that’s obviously never come up. And gently caress, it’s a real gut punch making you actually click that option at the end. And also wow does this work much better with a little baby Nier getting punked, really sells how powerless you feel

Also I don’t get the complainants about Noir sounding bad? It sounds hammy but umm, the other magic talking book sounds extra af too??

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Last Celebration posted:

So I’m near the timeskip and why does the Shadowlord look like Young Nier? I’m pretty familiar with the story of Nier through LPs and summaries but that’s one thing that’s obviously never come up. And gently caress, it’s a real gut punch making you actually click that option at the end. And also wow does this work much better with a little baby Nier getting punked, really sells how powerless you feel

Also I don’t get the complainants about Noir sounding bad? It sounds hammy but umm, the other magic talking book sounds extra af too??

Shadowlord Nier is the Nier you played in the prologue, turned into a Shade. The Nier you play as is a Replicant based on him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Shadowlord Nier is the Nier you played in the prologue, turned into a Shade. The Nier you play as is a Replicant based on him.

Nah, I know that part, what I’m confused on specifically is why he doesn’t look like Adult Nier cause Nier Replicant has been cloned dozens upon dozens of time like the other replicants unless I’m remembering the lore wrong. So it makes sense for Young Nier to look young at the start of the game cause that’s where we are in the cycle, but shouldn’t Shadowlord just look like Adult Nier? Or stay a kid?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, I know that part, what I’m confused on specifically is why he doesn’t look like Adult Nier cause Nier Replicant has been cloned dozens upon dozens of time like the other replicants unless I’m remembering the lore wrong. So it makes sense for Young Nier to look young at the start of the game cause that’s where we are in the cycle, but shouldn’t Shadowlord just look like Adult Nier? Or stay a kid?

I suppose he doesn't really age at all (otherwise he'd look like a thousand year old man) so it may just be that his appearance is tied to that of the currently active replicant.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drakengard 3 really needs a "shut up, decadus" button. of course he'd just love it if you pressed that button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Finished Replicant over the weekend. Got super annoyed with the C and D playthroughs, but Ending E was so worth it (spoilers for Replicant and Automata) even though it's really fanservicy to Automata (I still don't quite understand how Kainé experiences those memories digitally, since she isn't a robot, unlike A2). I really loved what they were going for at least.

I will say that the tragedy of humanity's demise hits much harder in Automata, even though it's thousands of years later. In Replicant, I was invested in the main characters' stories, but the plot about Replicants and Gestalts just didn't quite land emotionally for me. But I also played Automata first, so maybe I knew in my subconscious that humanity would be doomed in Replicant too.